ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday we find out if IU is a Paper Tiger

Again, your position is that AP is sacred and nothing else matters. A journalist who is a voter ranked this very week teams that Purdue beat handily in the days before the voting well ahead of them. But that vote is to be taken seriously in the only poll that matters.

That is your opinion. You are entitled to it. But to expect others to take it seriously is beyond your ken.
It isn't an opinion. It's a fact. If the AP didn't matter, it would t be what everyone wants to see at noon on Mondays(Sundays for football). No one is waiting on the SI Top 25. And all of their preseason rankings? For clicks to their website. So yet again, the AP is what matters and the coaches.

If what you write is true, it is amazing that newstands place magazines that cover sports and do rankings on their shelves. After all, according to you, what they write is meaningless. Plus, it does not explain the behavior of purchasers since what they write means nothing either. Same with USAToday I assume.

You have an interesting view of the marketplace. It contradicts the concept in economics that value is determined by market transactional pricing.

By the way, it is your opinion. And your opinion is not fact.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I seriously doubt that.

As to the game last night, IU looks pretty good. They've got a three-headed monster that will be tough to contend with. North Carolina has a few issues right now, but the last couple years, they've seemed to be like Michigan State and round into form right around March. Until last year, Purdue teams usually improved as the season wore on. I hope that trait returns this season. :)
There was SEVERE asshole antagonism years ago ... probably 35 years ago ... belittling, demeaning, blatant assholeness. I will NEVER forgive IU fans for their antagonism. I had no problem with their players. Bailey coached an AAU team against mine and we had a great talk. But their fans .... they had to sue Lafayette radio stations to give equal time to IU sports ... they had to ram my wife's car with a Tippe county plate in Bloomington. ... they had to laugh at me when the little league team I coached played a team coached by an IU fan .... they can fking go to hell as fans.

If what you write is true, it is amazing that newstands place magazines that cover sports and do rankings on their shelves. After all, according to you, what they write is meaningless. Plus, it does not explain the behavior of purchasers since what they write means nothing either. Same with USAToday I assume.

You have an interesting view of the marketplace. It contradicts the concept in economics that value is determined by market transactional pricing.

By the way, it is your opinion. And your opinion is not fact.
They do it for views. It's interesting. It's a talking point. It's clicks for their websites. But the AP is still the top dog with the coaches poll behind it.

Surprisingly, on a Kentucky board they made a thread about IU... But more of it was saying how good Indiana looked and that they wished UK played more like that... Here it's just little brother syndrome and "yea well they suck."
And yet, here you are, little brother, wanting to hang out with big brother and "talk basketball".

They do it for views. It's interesting. It's a talking point. It's clicks for their websites. But the AP is still the top dog with the coaches poll behind it.
You have changed your position. First, you wrote that IU was not ranked, even in the preseason. That was demonstrated to be false. Then your position became only the AP poll mattered. That was challenged as well. Now, it seems that your position is that there were other polls, but AP is the premier one.

However, that does not change my original point that in preseason IU was ranked and dramatically underperformed last season by barely making the tournament.

You have changed your position. First, you wrote that IU was not ranked, even in the preseason. That was demonstrated to be false. Then your position became only the AP poll mattered. That was challenged as well. Now, it seems that your position is that there were other polls, but AP is the premier one.

However, that does not change my original point that in preseason IU was ranked and dramatically underperformed last season by barely making the tournament.
Because they weren't ranked in the preseason. Were they ranked in the AP? Nope. Coaches? Nope. Getting votes isn't ranked. Some publications or a journalist ranking them isn't being ranked. If you're not in the AP or coaches, you're not ranked. Literally basic knowledge of polls in sports.

You can define things however you like. However, we are not obligated to accept them. Whether you like it or not USA Today, SI, etc. are rankings. That's why they put numbers in front of them. To pretend otherwise is silly. And yes, when you are second in receiving votes, that means that you are the 27th ranked team. You just did not make the Top 25. Those writers/coaches voted and those scores went into rankings. While you may maintain that IU was not ranked in the Top 25 in the AP preseason poll (which is true), they were ranked in that poll at 27th.

At the end of the year, making the 61-64 position when you start out 27th in the AP and higher in others is underachieving by definition. I get that you do not wish to acknowledge that but facts are facts.

Also, I read you posts carefully and characterized them as they were written. If what you wrote is not what you intended, then it is on you to make yourself more clear. We can only read what appears.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
You can define things however you like. However, we are not obligated to accept them. Whether you like it or not USA Today, SI, etc. are rankings. That's why they put numbers in front of them. To pretend otherwise is silly. And yes, when you are second in receiving votes, that means that you are the 27th ranked team. You just did not make the Top 25. Those writers/coaches voted and those scores went into rankings. While you may maintain that IU was not ranked in the Top 25 in the AP preseason poll (which is true), they were ranked in that poll at 27th.

At the end of the year, making the 61-64 position when you start out 27th in the AP and higher in others is underachieving by definition. I get that you do not wish to acknowledge that but facts are facts.

Also, I read you posts carefully and characterized them as they were written. If what you wrote is not what you intended, then it is on you to make yourself more clear. We can only read what appears.

I read a bleacher report article that says this year’s IU team should be ranked the number greatest team of all time!

I think it’s wonderful, and I may choose to believe it, win or lose. 😙

Thinking that the AP poll is more reputable than the article I read, though. 🫤

Last edited:
Curious to see how they do against Rutgers on the road. Their court is always a tough place to go and their defense tends to lock people down.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Haha. Can't help but enjoy. However Rutgers gets away with a lot.
A lot might be an understatement. But that's typical B1G officiating. They wonder why the Big Ten struggles so much... Maybe because rugby shouldn't be allowed on the basketball court.

Curious to see how they do against Rutgers on the road. Their court is always a tough place to go and their defense tends to lock people down.
Didn’t watch the game but saw the end results. Saw some Twitter mentions that the refs let Rutgers play rough. Not passing judgement because we know that feeling of going to New Jersey with all the confidence and walking out without are tail tucked.

For IU folks - what happened to Hood Schifino tonight? Was he injured?
71d30f4a5415ab43011fb44f8fbb3bfb.jpg

Didn’t watch the game but saw the end results. Saw some Twitter mentions that the refs let Rutgers play rough. Not passing judgement because we know that feeling of going to New Jersey with all the confidence and walking out without are tail tucked.

For IU folks - what happened to Hood Schifino tonight? Was he injured?
Back spasms

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Well let's see...
Purdue's cupcakes...
Milwaukee, Austin Peay, Florida State, Hofstra, Davidson, New Orleans, Florida A&M.

Indiana's cupcakes....
Morehead State, Bethune-Cookman, Miami(OH), Little Rock, Jackson State, Elon, Kennesaw State

Interesting... 7 a piece...

Purdue got their big games with Marquette, West Virginia, #14 Gonzaga, #17 Duke.

Indiana has their big games with AT Xavier, #18 North Carolina, #4 Arizona, AT #8 Kansas
Oh, and AT Rutgers. Whoops.

Basketball reference (website) only goes back to the 1949-50 season. Which since then, the two schools are tied 67-67. Would have to look as it goes beyond that obviously. I am pretty sure that from the 1938-1939 season(first year of the NCAA tourney), Indiana has a lead. And then Purdue has the all time lead when you go back beyond that. As far as some years where we've only played once..

2017-2018 season: #3 Purdue beat Indiana at Assembly Hall 74-67.

2015-2016: #22 Indiana beat #17 Purdue in Assembly Hall 77-73. Last time each were ranked going into the game.

2013-2014: Purdue wins 82-64 at Mackey. Neither were ranked.

2008-2009: #19 Purdue wins 81-67 at Mackey. Tom Creans first year at IU.

2007-2008: #15 Indiana beats #14 Purdue 77-68 at Assembly Hall.

2001-2002: Indiana beats Purdue 66-52 at Assembly Hall.

From there it hadn't been since the early 70s that the two only played once in a season.
Thanks, looks like your data in the last two decades shows 4 games at IU and 2 games at Purdue. Guessing a couple of those games where a single game was at IU was due to balancing schedules with new additions or it is possible the balance could have only had a single game at Purdue due to the new teams...

Thanks, looks like your data in the last two decades shows 4 games at IU and 2 games at Purdue. Guessing a couple of those games where a single game was at IU was due to balancing schedules with new additions or it is possible the balance could have only had a single game at Purdue due to the new teams...
I'm not really sure the reasoning. My best guess? The Big Ten is incredibly incompetent and terrible at building even schedules.

ADVERTISEMENT