ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday we find out if IU is a Paper Tiger

I'm not going to argue there was a time that I was always comparing PU to IU. But that has changed over the last 10 years or so. I have friends that are huge IU fans and they will talk about their team and I really don't get very involved in it. I just really don't care that much about them anymore. I get fired up twice a year when we play them of course. But outside of those 2 games/days I really am ambivalent to that team. Let's be honest, it really hasn't been that much of a rivalry or close for quite some time. Maybe if IU gets relevant again, I will pay more attention to them outside of 2 days a year.
The past decade has been rough on IUs end. Purdue leads 13-4. The 10 seasons before that, IU lead 10-8. 10 seasons before that, 10-10. So I guess let's see what the next 10 years hold for it. It's still a better rivalry over the last 25 years than UNC-Duke or UK-UofL... But UNC-Duke as the ESPN power behind it.

PU-IU: 25-20
Duke-UNC: 36-24
UK-UofL: 18-9

Reactions: indyogb
Only issue with that argument, they were not exactly a juggernaut last year having to go the play in route to even get the field of 64. They finished in the bottom half of the Big with a losing record, even. So, returning everyone isn't exactly impressive and everyone added some good players to their rosters.

With what we lost, I get us not starting out ranked.
They did take a step forward last year though and they do have individual talent and if all the pieces are there you want to believe that the next year the pieces are better. AS you said, Purdue lost so much there had to be a lot of questions.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
IMSKRONG:

"They were never ranked last season."

When I wrote that I said the preseason rankings. I have seen them as high as 12th.

IU is ranked 23rd here:

IU is ranked 14th here:

IU is ranked 24th here:

IU is ranked 19th here:

IMSKRONG:

When I wrote that I said the preseason rankings. I have seen them as high as 12th.

IU is ranked 23rd here:

IU is ranked 14th here:

IU is ranked 24th here:

IU is ranked 19th here:

Evidence his handle really definitely is.....
IMWRONG

He is a lonely iu troll with nothing better to do than come to opponents boards. SAD

Reactions: Poprudy
These teams need an offense, UNC especially. Just dribble, dribble some more, pass around to players who aren't moving, shot

IMSKRONG:

IU is ranked 23rd here:

IU is ranked 14th here:

IU is ranked 24th here:

IU is ranked 19th here:
Literally none of those really matter. The AP is what matters. Those are nothing more than an article.

IU looking solid tonight. Babcock not 100%, but the rest of Carolina looks strong. Indiana doing well so far.

No Jalen Washington? UNC fans are chiming in on Twitter about putting him in the game. It seems like he would need a redshirt year with his prior injuries.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
At least Florida State has the talent to win. They should compete with most. The last 2 classes were 10 and 18, plus Fletcher a top 71 kid. Hamilton hasn't been coaching this team very well...talent is there.

No Jalen Washington? UNC fans are chiming in on Twitter about putting him in the game. It seems like he would need a redshirt year with his prior injuries.
Was he even dressed? He had a knee injury so wouldn’t expect him to contribute at all.

You have posted in the past that you spend time on other team's boards. Why don't you tell us?
The last time I was on the IU board I asked a polite question about mother bears pizza! And I received a polite answer. I have no idea how many years ago that was. Maybe 5-6 years!

The answer to your question is No! Purdue fans are the only fans in the country that seem to love to post about other teams! If you go to other boards you don’t see their fans posting about other teams. Kansas fans don’t post about Duke .

So why do Purdue fans feel compelled to start threads and discuss about IU? Why do Purdue fans even care ?

The last time I was on the IU board I asked a polite question about mother bears pizza! And I received a polite answer. I have no idea how many years ago that was. Maybe 5-6 years!

The answer to your question is No! Purdue fans are the only fans in the country that seem to love to post about other teams! If you go to other boards you don’t see their fans posting about other teams. Kansas fans don’t post about Duke .

So why do Purdue fans feel compelled to start threads and discuss about IU? Why do Purdue fans even care ?
Why did you just post your experience on the IU board?!!! I didn't ask. Yet, for some reason you want to discuss IU. Strange.

Is it because you are a Purdue fan and can't help yourself?

Surprisingly, on a Kentucky board they made a thread about IU... But more of it was saying how good Indiana looked and that they wished UK played more like that... Here it's just little brother syndrome and "yea well they suck."

You apparently haven't ever really looked at their board and have no idea what you're talking about. That shouldn't surprise any of us...

I am hoping to see the rivalry with Purdue get back to the point where it is nationally relevant.

I think that Mike Woodson will have pretty good success at IU, doing it with a very different approach than Painter’s. Woodson is going for more of a national recruiting approach, targeting highly ranked recruits that have the athleticism to play his style of pressure on D and dribble penetration on offense. Painter targets a different kind of player who fit well into his system. I think that there is room for both to be very successful.

Literally none of those really matter. The AP is what matters. Those are nothing more than an article.
Who says only AP has relevance? Just because you say so does not make that true.

The preseason polls set the expectation for the season. One underachieves or overachieves based upon expectations at the beginning of the task. The fact remains that IU was ranked at the beginning of the season as was cited in multiple polls. They barely made the tournament. That is by definition underachieving.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

I seriously doubt that.

As to the game last night, IU looks pretty good. They've got a three-headed monster that will be tough to contend with. North Carolina has a few issues right now, but the last couple years, they've seemed to be like Michigan State and round into form right around March. Until last year, Purdue teams usually improved as the season wore on. I hope that trait returns this season. :)

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Who says only AP has relevance? Just because you say so does not make that true.

The preseason polls set the expectation for the season. One underachieves or overachieves based upon expectations at the beginning of the task. The fact remains that IU was ranked at the beginning of the season as was cited in multiple polls. They barely made the tournament. That is by definition underachieving.
And the only two preseason polls are? The AP and Coaches. Not an article from SI or Bleacher Report or CBS Sports. To be ranked, gotta be in the AP or Coaches. AP is by far the most common used and most popular of the two. Only CBS uses the coaches poll for games.

Why did you just post your experience on the IU board?!!! I didn't ask. Yet, for some reason you want to discuss IU. Strange.

Is it because you are a Purdue fan and can't help yourself?
Boiler Andy. Duh. Read your own post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You asked me for a reply, so I gave you one! Your own personal reply!

I went to a different forum. I didn’t go there to trash talk. I didn’t go there to praise Purdue. I didn’t even go there to even talk about basketball. I visited their board because I was visiting their community and I inquired about where to eat. And it was 4-5 years ago. It’s not like I hang out there or stalk them. I don’t even know who their posters are. But I do know people here do!

The question has been raised by many posters in this thread. This is the Purdu board! Why do people here feel compelled to discuss IU basketball? Why does it matter to so many boiler fans? Why do you feel the need to constantly compare Purdue with IU?

Nobody talks about Northwestern..

I’m just pointing out how awkward it appears that Boiler fans even need to discuss IU basketball. Some of you know more IU posters than you do Purdue posters.

And the only two preseason polls are? The AP and Coaches. Not an article from SI or Bleacher Report or CBS Sports. To be ranked, gotta be in the AP or Coaches. AP is by far the most common used and most popular of the two. Only CBS uses the coaches poll for games.
I reject your position. Journalists vote in the AP poll. Journalists vote in the SI poll, in the USA Today poll, etc. According to you it seems that only journalists who vote in the AP poll matter. I fail to see why one group of journalists is better than another.

The past decade has been rough on IUs end. Purdue leads 13-4. The 10 seasons before that, IU lead 10-8. 10 seasons before that, 10-10. So I guess let's see what the next 10 years hold for it. It's still a better rivalry over the last 25 years than UNC-Duke or UK-UofL... But UNC-Duke as the ESPN power behind it.

PU-IU: 25-20
Duke-UNC: 36-24
UK-UofL: 18-9
never followed-purdue 13+8+10=31 IU 4+10+10=24. I'm a bit surprised it is as close as 31 to 24 but didn't Purdue go to Bloomington a couple of years in the row to help the new schedule of new teams or was that only in football? I think Purdue may have only got one shot a year or two when Purdue would have been favored. Either way, I didn't realize IU had won so many against Purdue

By the way, I even checked the sacred AP preseason poll for last year. In it, IU was 27th among voters receiving 41 votes. So starting 27th and barely making the tournament is way underachieving no matter how you slice it as 27th should easily pit you in.

By the way, I even checked the sacred AP preseason poll for last year. In it, IU was 27th among voters receiving 41 votes. So starting 27th and barely making the tournament is way underachieving no matter how you slice it as 27th should easily pit you in.
Yup... Which I stated before that Indiana had gotten votes... But was never actually ranked.

I reject your position. Journalists vote in the AP poll. Journalists vote in the SI poll, in the USA Today poll, etc. According to you it seems that only journalists who vote in the AP poll matter. I fail to see why one group of journalists is better than another.
Yup.. media members do vote.. a collection of them do. A large collection. Their personal articles mean nothing, it's only the collective that means anything. This is just basic stuff in sports.

You are making an assumption that USATODAY, SI, etc. are not a panel and just a single person. That is not true. You just don't like it because it demonstrates that it was IU that underperformed last season and ruins the "Purdue failed horribly" meme.

It is also inconsistent. Just this past summer, when the preseason magazines (Athlon, etc.) came out, IU fans were gushing about their rankings in them. So how come preseason ones that are liked are great but when it turns out poorly they didn't matter? You can't have it both ways.

never followed-purdue 13+8+10=31 IU 4+10+10=24. I'm a bit surprised it is as close as 31 to 24 but didn't Purdue go to Bloomington a couple of years in the row to help the new schedule of new teams or was that only in football? I think Purdue may have only got one shot a year or two when Purdue would have been favored. Either way, I didn't realize IU had won so many against Purdue
Basketball reference (website) only goes back to the 1949-50 season. Which since then, the two schools are tied 67-67. Would have to look as it goes beyond that obviously. I am pretty sure that from the 1938-1939 season(first year of the NCAA tourney), Indiana has a lead. And then Purdue has the all time lead when you go back beyond that. As far as some years where we've only played once..

2017-2018 season: #3 Purdue beat Indiana at Assembly Hall 74-67.

2015-2016: #22 Indiana beat #17 Purdue in Assembly Hall 77-73. Last time each were ranked going into the game.

2013-2014: Purdue wins 82-64 at Mackey. Neither were ranked.

2008-2009: #19 Purdue wins 81-67 at Mackey. Tom Creans first year at IU.

2007-2008: #15 Indiana beats #14 Purdue 77-68 at Assembly Hall.

2001-2002: Indiana beats Purdue 66-52 at Assembly Hall.

From there it hadn't been since the early 70s that the two only played once in a season.

You are making an assumption that USATODAY, SI, etc. are not a panel and just a single person. That is not true. You just don't like it because it demonstrates that it was IU that underperformed last season and ruins the "Purdue failed horribly" meme.

It is also inconsistent. Just this past summer, when the preseason magazines (Athlon, etc.) came out, IU fans were gushing about their rankings in them. So how come preseason ones that are liked are great but when it turns out poorly they didn't matter? You can't have it both ways.
IU fans can gush about them all they want, but they mean nothing. There are 63 journalist who turn in their respective Top 25s and the votes are tallied. A list made up of journalist from across the country of different TV networks, websites and newspapers. 63 people. There is a reason it means something over just 1 person writing an article about it. SI's Top 25 means as much as I my Top 25. It's nothing but pure fun to do it.

Again, your position is that AP is sacred and nothing else matters. A journalist who is a voter ranked this very week teams that Purdue beat handily in the days before the voting well ahead of them. But that vote is to be taken seriously in the only poll that matters.

That is your opinion. You are entitled to it. But to expect others to take it seriously is beyond your ken.

ADVERTISEMENT