ADVERTISEMENT

We lost Zennia Thomas to Kentucky :(

The coaching staff gave up on her a while ago so not exactly surprising. She'll be a player though - I'm sure, so tough loss.

Last edited:
Yes, Ky is way ahead of us as a program. When we start to win those things will reverse. Given her offers, I never expected to get her. Katie may find another front line player for the rotation at best I think but we have more than I hoped and now we'll see what she can do. Frankly, if she can best last year, we should be glad. She has a solid class for year after with more space. No one ever dreamed this would be easy and it could well have gone into the Illinois tank as they also hired a low division coach and went down the drain. That could happen to us, but I don't expect that. KG has given the fans some life and, win or lose, this team was fun to watch vs the slow molasses at the end of the Versyp era.

She looks like she has alot of potential and could end up being a great player but like Coach Painter says, recruiting isn't picking/choosing. We seemed to offer her pretty early (I want to say I remember reading that we were her first major conference offer) but we never seemed to gain much traction for whatever reeason. Could be we missed out on an average player that none of us will give two thoughts about in 3 or 4 years but if she does develop into a great player at least she will be in a different conference.

I don't - I just saw KG unfollowed her on Twitter a week or so ago - so that's gotta tell ya something. It was before she listed us in her top 5 - I mean who lists a top 5 when you basically have already taken your visits and decided on a school. She basically just used us for 'clout' and had already made up her mind for UK. KG had probably detected that and hit the 'unfollow'.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw Ky was mentioned I predicted she’d go there, very well could be NIL related, guarentee Ky’s is better than Purdue’s.

As soon as I saw Ky was mentioned I predicted she’d go there, very well could be NIL related, guarentee Ky’s is better than Purdue’s.

WBB players are not going to be getting the 'pay to play" deals that their male counterparts are getting. School donors simply don't care enough to offer them. Again - it's not the school itself offering money to these players - that would be illegal. It's the school donors who have a business that they'd want to "sponsor". So KG can't go to a kid she wants to commit and offer them 40K a year. A big wig at Bob Rohrman - will have to go to them and offer to partner with them and pay them 40k a year to come to Purdue.

The money WBB players are going to get is in actual sponsorship deals based on their social media numbers and popularity - thus only the major players and "stars" are getting any money. Those are but a handful of players (The Paige B's Caitlyn C's of the world) So i'm pretty sure that a completely unheralded recruit is not going to see a dime until she would happen to become one of the best, and most popular players in the country. This is essentially how the NIL should've worked - go to college, prove yourself, gain a following and then use that 'name' and brand to make some money of sponsorship deals. Not - "hey kid - go to my alma mater and I'll pay you XXX amount of money".

WBB players are not going to be getting the 'pay to play" deals that their male counterparts are getting. School donors simply don't care enough to offer them. Again - it's the school itself offering money to these players - that would be illegal. It's the school donors who have a business that they'd want to sponsor. The money WBB players are going to get is in actual sponsorship deals based on their social media numbers and popularity - thus only the major players and "stars" are getting any money. Those are but a handful of players (The Paige B's Caitlyn C's of the world) So i'm pretty sure that a completely unheralded recruit is not going to see a dime until she would happen to become one of the best, and most popular players in the country. This is essentially how the NIL should've worked - go to college, prove yourself, gain a following and then use that 'name' and brand to make some money of sponsorship deals. Not - "hey kid - go to my alma mater and I'll pay you XXX amount of money".
Agreed, NOBODY is getting paid in WBB from fans or boosters like the Alabama football players and UK mens players. Frankly, no one with money cares enough to toss it at a sport very few follow compared to men's sports. I really thought she would go to a small school though, especially since UK lost a lot of their team to the portal and are not going to be the power next year they were this year, IMHO

Agreed, NOBODY is getting paid in WBB from fans or boosters like the Alabama football players and UK mens players. Frankly, no one with money cares enough to toss it at a sport very few follow compared to men's sports. I really thought she would go to a small school though, especially since UK lost a lot of their team to the portal and are not going to be the power next year they were this year, IMHO

All the more reason to go there - play under a coach who won the SEC and have some opportunity to actually you know...play. Having the #1 pick in the draft recently go through the program that plays a similar position to her probably didn't hurt either.

Now what coaches can say as part of their recruiting "pitch" to players is - "hey, I just had the #1 pick in the WNBA draft go through the program, oh hey - you two play similar positions, I see a lot of you in her, actually. But yeah, not only did we prepare her for the next level but she was able to use our program to get BBN behind her and was able to get XXX amount of NIL money by sponsoring with *insert business name* - and if you continue to develop you could too! (mostly complete BS but what recruiting "pitches" aren't)

WBB players are not going to be getting the 'pay to play" deals that their male counterparts are getting. School donors simply don't care enough to offer them. Again - it's not the school itself offering money to these players - that would be illegal. It's the school donors who have a business that they'd want to "sponsor". So KG can't go to a kid she wants to commit and offer them 40K a year. A big wig at Bob Rohrman - will have to go to them and offer to partner with them and pay them 40k a year to come to Purdue.

The money WBB players are going to get is in actual sponsorship deals based on their social media numbers and popularity - thus only the major players and "stars" are getting any money. Those are but a handful of players (The Paige B's Caitlyn C's of the world) So i'm pretty sure that a completely unheralded recruit is not going to see a dime until she would happen to become one of the best, and most popular players in the country. This is essentially how the NIL should've worked - go to college, prove yourself, gain a following and then use that 'name' and brand to make some money of sponsorship deals. Not - "hey kid - go to my alma mater and I'll pay you XXX amount of money".
I agree there, I do think that KY as far as NIL stuff still is probably a better situation for Thomas than Purdue is. The adage something is better than nothing seems about right. I for sure don’t know this to be the case but she went from a seemingly Purdue commit to going to KY after they got involved.

I get that WBB players are not gonna get anywhere near the MBB players are getting, but does that also mean, if I am just a *HUGE* Purdue WBB fan, and want to relive the glory days of Steph White and Katie Douglas, it won't cost me much to assemble an all-star team? You think one would need $40k a year to get a Pack-equivalent WBB player? I was expecting much less.

I get that WBB players are not gonna get anywhere near the MBB players are getting, but does that also mean, if I am just a *HUGE* Purdue WBB fan, and want to relive the glory days of Steph White and Katie Douglas, it won't cost me much to assemble an all-star team? You think one would need $40k a year to get a Pack-equivalent WBB player? I was expecting much less.
If you own a business and want to get into a business contract with a top flight transfer to get her to come to Purdue - then sure so be it. But it can't be just a personal payment, it has to be in the name of some good or service or "business". Pack got 400K from a business, yes that CEO of the business is a Miami alum and a booster but he got into a contracted offer with Life Wallet. He along with a ton of other Miami athletes (mostly MBB and Football players) - but even a couple WBB players - it's not a coincidence that the Cavinder twins (with their HUGE social media following) also chose Miami.

But even if we do get a big time booster to throw down some serious money for a big time recruit or transfer - do we really want it? I mean yes, it's great in the short term but it's only going to cause chemistry issues throughout the team because X player is making X amount and where is the money for the rest of the starters? You're seeing that now with Miami as a returning player is threatening to transfer if he doesn't get a similar payout that Pack received. Paige Bueckers at UCONN bought her teammates all Jordan shoes for Christmas this past year - I don't think that's her doing it solely out of the kindness of her heart - more like - yeah I need to show the love to my teammates that aren't getting paid the money I am and to help with team chemistry.

Last edited:
I agree there, I do think that KY as far as NIL stuff still is probably a better situation for Thomas than Purdue is. The adage something is better than nothing seems about right. I for sure don’t know this to be the case but she went from a seemingly Purdue commit to going to KY after they got involved.

Purdue offered first - that's the only way we were in on her "first". KG conducted a home visit a day prior to UK's coach also conducting a home visit. Guess what souvenir UK's coach brought with her? The net from their SEC championship. It was clear that Purdue was out to a slight lead - and yes had UK not offered - she most likely would've committed - but it was clearly obvious that she was waiting for a UK offer - I mean based on recent success - they have a TON more and also a player of theirs just went #1 overall in the draft so I'm puzzled why you think the only reason one would choose UK over Purdue right now is a NIL. Take off the blinders.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelRR
Purdue offered first - that's the only way we were in on her "first". KG conducted a home visit a day prior to UK's coach also conducting a home visit. Guess what souvenir UK's coach brought with her? The net from their SEC championship. It was clear that Purdue was out to a slight lead - and yes had UK not offered - she most likely would've committed - but it was clearly obvious that she was waiting for a UK offer - I mean based on recent success - they have a TON more and also a player of theirs just went #1 overall in the draft so I'm puzzled why you think the only reason one would choose UK over Purdue right now is a NIL. Take off the blinders.
I don’t have blinders on, I just have a hunch on this one, I said I very well could be wrong. Chances are we’ll never know. I do know this, they got a mens playing returning making $2 million dollars, not sure why it’s crazy to think they might have options that at this point Purdue doesn’t. My guess is that there are Ky boosters that like womens basketball.

I don’t have blinders on, I just have a hunch on this one, I said I very well could be wrong. Chances are we’ll never know. I do know this, they got a mens playing returning making $2 million dollars, not sure why it’s crazy to think they might have options that at this point Purdue doesn’t. My guess is that there are Ky boosters that like womens basketball.
You've been carrying on about NIL money for every player that chose somewhere else for weeks, without even a hint of evidence despite everyone telling you it's not there...... It's gotten annoying, so unless you can back it up please give the unsupported conspiracy theories a rest. There is no booster NIL money in wbb..... ZERO dollars at any school unless you can prove otherwise

Reactions: DavidBoiler
You've been carrying on about NIL money for every player that chose somewhere else for weeks, without even a hint of evidence despite everyone telling you it's not there...... It's gotten annoying, so unless you can back it up please give the unsupported conspiracy theories a rest. There is no booster NIL money in wbb..... ZERO dollars at any school unless you can prove otherwise
Michael, you also told me Purdue wouldn’t get a high level transfer, also on here I said Thomas will go to Ky, I was told she wouldn’t. Like I said, I could be wrong, however, to say I am wrong isn’t cool buddy, both of us have no idea. Like I said, Ky has mens players making 2 million to play, if you think it’s crazy that their women aren’t getting anything so be it, however, don’t act like you know for sure because I’ll put my knowledge against you anyday of the week!

Reactions: TC4THREE
Also, google Kentucky women’s NiL money, the first thing that comes up is a Kentucky women’s track athlete, so don’t talk crap when I’ve done the research. I’ve been nice to you, you like to jump on people, I don’t play that game. I’m respectful but maybe I know some things I don’t want to post on here.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Also, google Kentucky women’s NiL money, the first thing that comes up is a Kentucky women’s track athlete, so don’t talk crap when I’ve done the research. I’ve been nice to you, you like to jump on people, I don’t play that game. I’m respectful but maybe I know some things I don’t want to post on here.
Or just google "women's basketball NIL". Like you've said, it's not near the same level of the men but to suggest it isn't going on anywhere at any level is ignorance. Then again, look who we're talking about.....

UK wbb only got to play two games in Rupp arena, there isn't that much support for wbb there. Track and baseball are big in the south, I can believe a track athlete making back promoting herself, but site me where it was booster money. The twins that went toiami were pulling in high 5 to 6 figures in HS monetizing themselves on social media. UMiami added nothing to that. Same for the girl at UConn. And I never said we would not get anyone from the portal, I just laughed at your ridiculous notion that we were going to pull i three top flight first day starters just off the force of CKG personality. We got one possible starter that at the very least adds depth to a critical position and should play significant minutes. We may pick up one or two practice players, but if I were the coach, I would just keep the schollies in case we have better options next season.

Last edited:
Based on what TC has kept tabs on recruiting. I think CKG has done a pretty good job. Holdzer and Stoddard were already committed before she got here. Potts committed and basically gave all credit to CKG last fall. The 2023 class looks like a pretty good collection of talent and even more if they can get the young lady from New York the JC talked about.

One thing I was surprised I missed was the rest of the staff is all the same as when CSV was here.

Based on what TC has kept tabs on recruiting. I think CKG has done a pretty good job. Holdzer and Stoddard were already committed before she got here. Potts committed and basically gave all credit to CKG last fall. The 2023 class looks like a pretty good collection of talent and even more if they can get the young lady from New York the JC talked about.

One thing I was surprised I missed was the rest of the staff is all the same as when CSV was here.
Yeah that kind of surprises me a year out from SV that Katie still has SV's staff, and hasn't brought in her own staff and how does that affect her recruiting, game planning, coaching?, etc.

Well, you have Scruggs who seems to be a young, dynamic recruiter, Couture who I feel has helped KG adjust with her extensive experience of coaching D1 and then she elevated Guyton to the third AC position, usually reserved for a young up and comer who might just be getting their shot at the position. Ironically with her being the youngest on the staff, I feel Guyton needs to be much more active on social media - it's kind of strange that she'd be the one least active on Twitter/IG - so much of the recruiting game now has transitioned to social media- Katie has been great at it - something SV definitely was not, but it's huge component to promoting your program - the more content you create for social the more it looks like the program has "momentum" which is attractive to recruits - especially during these times as players see social media being the key to getting sponsorship contracts through NIL contracts. I mean if a coach doesn't even follow you and interact with you on social media - that's a huge thing to kids these days whose entire lives are on it. For better or worse - it just shows them they aren't 10000% interested in them - so why go play for them? But she's still new to the profession and maybe she'll learn...and also maybe social just isn't her "thing" but it seems to be a pretty large requirement to have if you want to be a successful coach these days.

I'm not sure why it's considered weird she hasn't made wholesale changes to the staff - she couldn't last summer because she took over so late - and we had an overall successful year - considering everything that went down - so it seems like the staff works well together and with 4 kids already committed for 2023 - recruiting has great mojo - so why mess with it just for the sake of "change".

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
Thanks, like I said, not going to act like I know, however, right now Ky is light years ahead of Purdue with this stuff, was it the reason they got Thomas, I have no clue.

UK wbb only got to play two games in Rupp arena, there isn't that much support for wbb there. Track and baseball are big in the south, I can believe a track athlete making back promoting herself, but site me where it was booster money. The twins that went toiami were pulling in high 5 to 6 figures in HS monetizing themselves on social media. UMiami added nothing to that. Same for the girl at UConn. And I never said we would not get anyone from the portal, I just laughed at your ridiculous notion that we were going to pull i three top flight first day starters just off the force of CKG personality. We got one possible starter that at the very least adds depth to a critical position and should play significant minutes. We may pick up one or two practice players, but if I were the coach, I would just keep the schollies in case we have better options next season.
That’s a well thought out answer, thank you. Look, I want us to be civil, I probably overreacted, in the Thomas recruitment who knows what happened, we’ll see how good she is, we don’t know.

That’s a well thought out answer, thank you. Look, I want us to be civil, I probably overreacted, in the Thomas recruitment who knows what happened, we’ll see how good she is, we don’t know.
I acknowledge there are WBB players that make bank off NIL, but in almost all cases, they started gaining that before they ever went to college through being social media influencers. I know of not one case of a recruit being offered NIL money to go to a school, unlike in football and mens basketball. And yeah, if TC is on your side, you were probably wrong to begin with..... (just kidding) (mostly) ;) In the Thomas recruitment, theere are more than enough other more likely factors that using Occhams razor you would have to be pre-disposed to think NIL is always the reason we lose recruiting battles to put it in the list. We are probably 3-6 years behind them as a program before we can start matching their current results. They have a history of consecutive NCAAs and we are a couple years removed from our last trip, and nearly two decades removed from making the sweet sixteen. There is still the leftover perception of Versyp's abuse in the program, and Purdue has had about 10 players including 6 former starters enter the portal the last two years. I guarantee you that any player we are looking at is getting told all about that from other schools coaches. Despite what someone may think, that is a massive perception issue to overcome as its one of the 3-5 highest number of players entering the portal in two years in all of WBB. I do appreciate you keeping this civil, and I am trying to do the same by ignoring the trolls as responding to them only makes them worse. I can at least respect Prides positions because he does back them up with reasons, he just goes about it in the most asshole way possible. TC is pointless other than his strictly informative posts, anything else he responds to is just troll farts in the water and utterly without reason or any contribution to the board.
Yeah that kind of surprises me a year out from SV that Katie still has SV's staff, and hasn't brought in her own staff and how does that affect her recruiting, game planning, coaching?, etc.

CKG DID bring her entire staff from Marion with her; herself..... NAIA schools do not have staff, just a coach and a couple grad assistants at most. In fact during her 7 years CKG was one of only two full time WBB coaches in all of NAIA and at the time of her hiring THE only wbb full time coach. Most others are either teachers coaching part time or full time coaches that also coach 1 to 2 other sports. And since she has no D1 experience, she has no real connections developed through years of being an assistant to reach out to that she can bring in. Its one of my biggest reasons I was against her hiring, it puts her in such a hole to play catch up from to learn everything about being a D1 coach while trying to turn a program around and without any real connections to reach out to for advice, coaching replacements, or support of any sort.

Reactions: mathboy
I acknowledge there are WBB players that make bank off NIL, but in almost all cases, they started gaining that before they ever went to college through being social media influencers. I know of not one case of a recruit being offered NIL money to go to a school, unlike in football and mens basketball. And yeah, if TC is on your side, you were probably wrong to begin with..... (just kidding) (mostly) ;) In the Thomas recruitment, theere are more than enough other more likely factors that using Occhams razor you would have to be pre-disposed to think NIL is always the reason we lose recruiting battles to put it in the list. We are probably 3-6 years behind them as a program before we can start matching their current results. They have a history of consecutive NCAAs and we are a couple years removed from our last trip, and nearly two decades removed from making the sweet sixteen. There is still the leftover perception of Versyp's abuse in the program, and Purdue has had about 10 players including 6 former starters enter the portal the last two years. I guarantee you that any player we are looking at is getting told all about that from other schools coaches. Despite what someone may think, that is a massive perception issue to overcome as its one of the 3-5 highest number of players entering the portal in two years in all of WBB. I do appreciate you keeping this civil, and I am trying to do the same by ignoring the trolls as responding to them only makes them worse. I can at least respect Prides positions because he does back them up with reasons, he just goes about it in the most asshole way possible. TC is pointless other than his strictly informative posts, anything else he responds to is just troll farts in the water and utterly without reason or any contribution to the board.

CKG DID bring her entire staff from Marion with her; herself..... NAIA schools do not have staff, just a coach and a couple grad assistants at most. In fact during her 7 years CKG was one of only two full time WBB coaches in all of NAIA and at the time of her hiring THE only wbb full time coach. Most others are either teachers coaching part time or full time coaches that also coach 1 to 2 other sports. And since she has no D1 experience, she has no real connections developed through years of being an assistant to reach out to that she can bring in. Its one of my biggest reasons I was against her hiring, it puts her in such a hole to play catch up from to learn everything about being a D1 coach while trying to turn a program around and without any real connections to reach out to for advice, coaching replacements, or support of any sort.

Yet without all that experience she won 17 games and made it to the second round of a post season tournament and put together a 4 person recruiting class with all 4 star/top 100 level talent. And she hasn't even been on the job as the HC for a full year. She's also beating out power 5 schools for transfers. I definitely think this isn't all her doing - I think overall the coaching staff is solid with a nice mix of recruiters and game day coaches.

Every school is going to have a ton of transfers now, that's the way it's going to be in the new era of college sports, ESPECIALLY during a coaching change. Also many of those transfers were grad transfers who only "transferred" because they got an extra year of eligibility because of Covid. The only "true" transfers out of the program ie. underclassmen who went someplace else to finish their careers have been Kyle (Florida) , Traylor (VT) , Harmon (Elon) & Makolo (who has yet to pick a destination so who knows if she'll even continue playing). All the other players would've just graduated and ended their careers like normal times, COVID has been anything but normal. So there's no way you can even compare pre 2021 transfer numbers and post 2021 transfer numbers of a program and make any meaningful conclusion about the status of the program. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Yet without all that experience she won 17 games and made it to the second round of a post season tournament and put together a 4 person recruiting class with all 4 star/top 100 level talent. And she hasn't even been on the job as the HC for a full year. She's also beating out power 5 schools for transfers. I definitely think this isn't all her doing - I think overall the coaching staff is solid with a nice mix of recruiters and game day coaches.

Every school is going to have a ton of transfers now, that's the way it's going to be in the new era of college sports, ESPECIALLY during a coaching change. Also many of those transfers were grad transfers who only "transferred" because they got an extra year of eligibility because of Covid. The only "true" transfers out of the program ie. underclassmen who went someplace else to finish their careers have been Kyle (Florida) , Traylor (VT) , Harmon (Elon) & Makolo (who has yet to pick a destination so who knows if she'll even continue playing). All the other players would've just graduated and ended their careers like normal times, COVID has been anything but normal. So there's no way you can even compare pre 2021 transfer numbers and post 2021 transfer numbers of a program and make any meaningful conclusion about the status of the program. It's comparing apples and oranges.
I know our situation is different than a lot of schools, but we are one of the highest three schools for number of players entering the portal the last two years out of 340+ NCAA schools, and that is going to be used against us until we aren't so far out ahead of everyone else in that stat. Hand waving it away doesn't actually make the problem disappear, anymore than closing your eyes to it and chanting I don't believe anything bad, I don't believe anything bad. As to CKG, I am impressed with her first year, but it was not without any concerns, and until she gets through year 4 or 5, there is no real way to tell one way or the other if she was a good hire or just a lazy one.

I know our situation is different than a lot of schools, but we are one of the highest three schools for number of players entering the portal the last two years out of 340+ NCAA schools, and that is going to be used against us until we aren't so far out ahead of everyone else in that stat. Hand waving it away doesn't actually make the problem disappear, anymore than closing your eyes to it and chanting I don't believe anything bad, I don't believe anything bad. As to CKG, I am impressed with her first year, but it was not without any concerns, and until she gets through year 4 or 5, there is no real way to tell one way or the other if she was a good hire or just a lazy one.

My main issue with you, well one of many, is that you spout off "facts" without supplying evidence to back them up. Where did you come across that we are the one of the 3 highest schools for players entering the portal - because I find that super hard to believe considering the absolute fiascos at some of these other schools. So can you provide me with a link that backs up this declaration?

Because, according to you, we've had 10 transfers over the last 2 years - I can think of like 5 schools (Morehead State, Little Rock, Syracuse, Minnesota Hartford just to name a few) with more than that. And that was just browsing a transfer blog - link to back that up.

Last edited:
Using your link, youa re right in one aspect, Hartford's 14 beats our 13. I don't care to check the two year totals for the others you listed that had WAY MORE than we had... LOL

Here is the thing, I am here to discuss Purdue wbb, you are obviously here to beat your chest and bully others for your own sick amusement. I am done playing your game. Untilt he season starts again, you are on ignore from me same as TC. You are simply not worth the intelligent post to insult ratio you're putting out. You show up to shit on everything you don't want to hear just like the asshole you appear to be, and I simply don't care anymore what you think. Your opinion is meaningless since you cannot express it like an adult without all the insults and crap you dump on here. You may have the last word, as I don't really care what you say anymore. If others care to play your game, they are welcome to it, if however they want this board to become civil, they will ignore you and TC as well.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerPride08
Using your link, youa re right in one aspect, Hartford's 14 beats our 13. I don't care to check the two year totals for the others you listed that had WAY MORE than we had... LOL

Here is the thing, I am here to discuss Purdue wbb, you are obviously here to beat your chest and bully others for your own sick amusement. I am done playing your game. Untilt he season starts again, you are on ignore from me same as TC. You are simply not worth the intelligent post to insult ratio you're putting out. You show up to shit on everything you don't want to hear just like the asshole you appear to be, and I simply don't care anymore what you think. Your opinion is meaningless since you cannot express it like an adult without all the insults and crap you dump on here. You may have the last word, as I don't really care what you say anymore. If others care to play your game, they are welcome to it, if however they want this board to become civil, they will ignore you and TC as well.
Good grief Michael. Just after you post information that is reasonable and insightful, you get angry and start throwing insults around. Can you not walk away from the screen when you feel slighted and let yourself simmer down? And then address the facts or even your opinion without name calling?

Reactions: mathboy
Good grief Michael. Just after you post information that is reasonable and insightful, you get angry and start throwing insults around. Can you not walk away from the screen when you feel slighted and let yourself simmer down? And then address the facts or even your opinion without name calling?

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90

I get that NAIA schools don't have much of a staff at all, I meant interview and hire her own staff here at Purdue. Reach out to coaches around the country that she knows and bring in her own assistants.

ADVERTISEMENT