ADVERTISEMENT

watching osu

amazing a guy that talented could be content to be 3rd string at any school, also amazing is how the refs missed the blatant hold/takedown put on Wisky's LB on that 81 yd. TD run. I'm done w/ that game, switched to FSU/G. Tech.

Originally posted by PaBoiler78:

amazing a guy that talented could be content to be 3rd string at any school, also amazing is how the refs missed the blatant hold/takedown put on Wisky's LB on that 81 yd. TD run. I'm done w/ that game, switched to FSU/G. Tech.
Ditto.

That hold non-call was b-s. That's an automatic flag at any level. Sheer incompetence.

I don't know why ppl would argue that Hope could recruit well when he couldn't even keep guys like Frazier on the team!

I think this playoff committee really screwed themselves putting TCU at #3. However lucky FSU may be, it was pretty surprising to see TCU jump an undefeated FSU team (especially after TCU squeaked by Kansas) when arguably FSU should be #2 (if taking into account computer polls).

Now you have Ohio State shutting out/blowing out a ranked team in the final week at a neutral site. If TCU was ranked #4 right now, it would make sense for Ohio State to be able to jump them a spot. However, I think it's also completely unfair to TCU to have both FSU and Ohio State jump them if that does happen after taking care of business themselves. They seem to have put themselves in a situation where they almost have to keep TCU in.

I think the playoff committee has taken themselves way too seriously (the whole "we don't care what the polls say" mantra, etc.).

Yep. Even with the star's aligning for OSU in this game, because the committee did their updates weekly rather than making everything a surprise at the end like the NCAA tourney....they will be damned if they do or damned if they don't. Did 1 week really make OSU 2 spots better than a team that won 55-13? In fact, I'd say the committee painted themselves into a corner simply by putting TCU at #3 last week (which stunned most to see them jump undefeated FSU.

Bama and Ore are in, slam dunks.

If an undefeated squad from a power 5 misses the top 4 the committee would be chided as the biggest farce ever. Even if the ACC wasn't great, one of their teams beat OSU and it's not like the Big Ten was great anyway.

TCU had more top wins. Their loss was to another top team on the road in a game they led by 3 scores in the 4th before crapping the bed and losing by 3.

They both played Minn, TCU handled them more easily (of course they hosted and OSU went to them on the road).

OSU's loss is easily the worst amongst the 1-loss teams, regardless of whether it was early in the season.

Unless the committee gives huge strength to this week, I don't see how you do it.

Sorry OSU fans, I still think says logic says they miss the top 4, they have the worst body of work among the one-losses, even if they are red hot right now and obviously are loaded with talent (the 3rd string QB in his 1st start today was RIDIC).......that is unless the committee really is a farce and is told to sell tickets and drive the highest possible TV ratings.
This post was edited on 12/7 1:18 AM by JHetfield99

I have a tough time believing that if they do leave FL ST in the top four that they will be able to advance. They've won too closely all season and trailed so many times.

TCU better lube up. It is about money at this point and there are plenty of hillbillies to the east of us who will shell out cash. I think TCU will get screwed in this deal. If that happens, then the playoff is a failure in its primary goal to allow the non-traditional powers to have a shot at the title. The irony is that Urban Meyer cried the loudest when it happened to his Utah team. If OSU gets in, it will be the second time he screwed a team and I believe both times it will have been TCU.

To bring what happened in Sept is ridic. Ohio State beat 10 bowl eligible teams, and for now is 2-0 vs. top 25 committee teams, and beat MSU and Minnesota on the road, and Wisconsin at a nuetral site. Very impressive 3 games not at OSU.

OSU lost without their starting QB Miller, and everyone in the top 7 coming into today lost with their starting QB. 
So 6 teams lost with their starting QB, OSU did not. 

SoS for OSU is 9 and 12 spots better than TCU and Baylor.

For years it was said that we need a playoff to reward team that lost early (without starting QB and 4 new Olineman) that is possibly playing best football at the end.

This post was edited on 12/7 9:17 AM by College Basketball

Originally posted by pboiler18:
I don't know why ppl would argue that Hope could recruit well when he couldn't even keep guys like Frazier on the team!

Not sure how that logic works.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

FSU, OR, and AL are locks. The only question is does the committee keep TCU in or replace with Baylor. Ohio St is out; the B1G is considered an inferior conference and probably is.

B1G might be weaker conference but, lower B1G teams shouldn't factor in OSU did not play them. That's what SoS is for.

OSU 44
TCU 55
Bay 59

B1G might be weaker. But OSU schedule is stronger.

Ohio St has to play a tougher non conference schedule if they want to get to the playoffs or go unbeaten. Beating up Navy and Kent St won't get it. The Cincy win was impressive and ordinarily losing to VA Tech wouldn't be viewed so negatively. I think that Baylor belongs in the playoff.

Baylor did not win their conference outright. By the way, their conference motto is "One true champion". That is ironic!!!

It will be interesting.

I think part of their problem is that they've wanted themselves to be viewed differently than the BCS/polls, that they tried to make themselves different (hence the TCU over FSU).

I also don't really understand their criteria for the selection committee. The NCAA BBall Tournament is comprised of conference commissioners and athletic directors. When the committee is discussing the team or conference of that member, they leave the room to avoid bias.

The NCAA football committee is comprised of former players like Archie Manning, former media members, Condoleezza Rice is in there, and former coach in Tyrone Willingham. Of the 13 members, only 5 are active administrators (all athletic directors) and no conference commissioners are involved.

I think they just tried too hard with the football committee - you don't need big names and celebrities to steer a committee.

Maybe we should tell them to hire you and I. We hangout, watch games all year, eat wings, chips and dip, and drink beer. Then we announce the 4 teams!

I'm in if you are!

Yeah the committee composition is ridiculous. My Baylor pick is just a personal assessment having watched them play on TV several times this year. Really impressive squad on both sides of the ball and more consistent than TCU or OSU -- imo.

Originally posted by College Basketball:
Baylor did not win their conference outright. By the way, their conference motto is "One true champion". That is ironic!!!

It will be interesting.
baylor may be 'co-champs', but they'd still get the nod in bowl selection scenarios due to head to head tie breaker, similar to purdue winning tie breakers for our rose bowl

to me, purdue 'won' the big ten that year despite being co champs with tied conf. records

was depressing to see how far the boilers are from competing for a B10 title in football. The OSU 3rd string QB clearly better than any of the Boilers QBs let alone the OSU offensive and defensive lines clearly in different world from the boilers. In the 47 years I have cheered for the boilers we have had one tie for the conf title in football. Since I will turn 64 next week my hopes of ever seeing another one are dwindling.

Oh well, Boiler Up miracles can happen!!

Steve, depressed yes but hopefully not surprised. We're been at or about the bottom of the B1G for 2 years now. I like you am concerned that time is not on my side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT