ADVERTISEMENT

Was the new President introduced at the Maryland game?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Where's he stand on athletics.
Pres Daniels was a huge supporter of the AD and knew that success in athletics is very important to the university as a whole.
Praying we don't get another Cordova situation.

Reactions: BoilerNGold013
Everybody loves to go to games. What separates some from others is their actions and financial expenditures! Many here didn’t like Cordova because she supposedly place academics as a higher priority over athletics.

What would happen to this board if our new president placed health ahead of athletics and dare I even suggest may decide to actually cancel a game because of health and/or safety concerns.

There was a shooting on campus last year. What if the President locked down the university and canceled a game as the result?

Would you still love him? Or would you start using your derogatory names against him?

Everybody loves to go to games. What separates some from others is their actions and financial expenditures! Many here didn’t like Cordova because she supposedly place academics as a higher priority over athletics.

What would happen to this board if our new president placed health ahead of athletics and dare I even suggest may decide to actually cancel a game because of health and/or safety concerns.

There was a shooting on campus last year. What if the President locked down the university and canceled a game as the result?

Would you still love him? Or would you start using your derogatory names against him?
Yeah pretty sure it doesn't take all of the money in the entire budget to run an upper shelf athletic program with all the money Purdue pulls in annually for many different sources.

And wow to the second part. Is that what happened to the Northwestern leadership for cancelling games or just a general statement about how people reacted to the covid lock downs?

Yeah pretty sure it doesn't take all of the money in the entire budget to run an upper shelf athletic program with all the money Purdue pulls in annually for many different sources.

And wow to the second part. Is that what happened to the Northwestern leadership for cancelling games or just a general statement about how people reacted to the covid lock downs?
That’s not what happened at Northwestern. But I have to believe this board would crash if the same thing happened here! I can just imagine the posts that would be made here if the Purdue President decided to cancel a basketball game for security or health reasons. The world as this board knows it would die.

He just has the sads that not everyone agrees the world should be locked down forever.

An active shooter, 100% support cancelling or postponing a game. But if not a threat to the public, game must go on to be honest. Not a good situation though, my daughter goes to University of Arizona and she was a couple of buildings away when that shooting happened. Turns out it was targeted, but it was Anti-Semitism behind it and that part is getting enough publicity. She was at Hillel studying when it happened, for those that dont know Hillel is a Jewish student orginization.

But I will get off my soap box now, they caught the guy pretty quickly and if it happened at Purdue and they were still on the lose, yeah cancel games and anything needed for safety.

Reactions: DannyGranger

What I'm referring to is, does the Pres prioritize athletics and understand the need to fund/invest in athletics, athletic facilities, salaries, recruiting budgets, etc? Or, do they, like Cordova, look at the AD as a place where some funds can siphoned off of.

I saw where he told employees to get off of TikTok

My kids are on Tik Tok, but I have seen lots of Universities worried about it. I am not knowledgeble enough about computers to know, but just from common sense, allowing a company from China that much control is not good. No matter your opinion on Covid, one thing that cant be disputed is China lied and hid facts and delayed response on purpose to Covid and cost the world time and millions of lives. China is shady AF and maybe the company is legit, but any companny in China can be taken over by the government, that is just how they opperate.

So yeah, Tik Tok has the potential to be very dangerous in my oppinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerJS
Health? Now it's time for health!

You know my doctor, Dr. Vinny Boombatz, okay? He told me last week he had four cases of VD. He's alright now, though!

He told me to run five miles a day for two weeks. I called him up, I said "Doc, I'm 70 miles from my house!"

I once asked him if my heart is strong enough for sex. He told me not if I join in, you know?

The other day I called him and told him I swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills. He told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

Sometimes he gets mixed up, this Dr. Vinny Boombatz. One time I was in there he told me to cough and hit my nuts with a hammer.

At my last physical he asked me for a urine sample, a stool sample, and a semen sample. I handed him my boxers!

Health? Now it's time for health!

You know my doctor, Dr. Vinny Boombatz, okay? He told me last week he had four cases of VD. He's alright now, though!

He told me to run five miles a day for two weeks. I called him up, I said "Doc, I'm 70 miles from my house!"

I once asked him if my heart is strong enough for sex. He told me not if I join in, you know?

The other day I called him and told him I swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills. He told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

Sometimes he gets mixed up, this Dr. Vinny Boombatz. One time I was in there he told me to cough and hit my nuts with a hammer.

At my last physical he asked me for a urine sample, a stool sample, and a semen sample. I handed him my boxers!
my Dr. put his hand on my wallet and told me to cough

Yes. Don't know his stand. He was well received at Mackey, though.
We were glad that the new President of Purdue was well received at Mackey. We were so fortunate to have Mitch Daniels. I was wondering if Mitch was given an appreciative send off at Mackey. Mitch was an amazing student centered president. He was an innovative, thoughtful and initiated many business partnerships. He did a tremendous job at expanding the university’s reach and even created quite a different legislative reputation than IU and other state schools. Purdue also had a fabulous reputation nationally w interviews and news articles featuring our university. Of course, I also appreciated his commencement speeches - he spoke to the students not lobbyists. He shook every students hand- very impressive. Masters and PhD students he actually spent time w them and wished them a very personalized good luck in their future endeavors. He expanded our building footprints on Campus- it looks amazing now. It always impressed me that he maintained tuition cost freeze more than a decade. Now with inflation raging and the middle class being squeezed - I will miss Mitch Daniels very much. I think his imprint on our university - opening campus during pandemic - he elicited the students help in keeping Purdue Safe. There is so much that he accomplished - I hope someone in the History Dept is writing a book about his term as President.

We were glad that the new President of Purdue was well received at Mackey. We were so fortunate to have Mitch Daniels. I was wondering if Mitch was given an appreciative send off at Mackey. Mitch was an amazing student centered president. He was an innovative, thoughtful and initiated many business partnerships. He did a tremendous job at expanding the university’s reach and even created quite a different legislative reputation than IU and other state schools. Purdue also had a fabulous reputation nationally w interviews and news articles featuring our university. Of course, I also appreciated his commencement speeches - he spoke to the students not lobbyists. He shook every students hand- very impressive. Masters and PhD students he actually spent time w them and wished them a very personalized good luck in their future endeavors. He expanded our building footprints on Campus- it looks amazing now. It always impressed me that he maintained tuition cost freeze more than a decade. Now with inflation raging and the middle class being squeezed - I will miss Mitch Daniels very much. I think his imprint on our university - opening campus during pandemic - he elicited the students help in keeping Purdue Safe. There is so much that he accomplished - I hope someone in the History Dept is writing a book about his term as President.
One of my favorite things about Pres Daniels is that he didn't cower to the snowflakes. He basically told them "life is tough, get used to it"

Most people would call Purdue University one of those elite institutions that graduates snowflakes!

Many here have said that Cordova was bad for both academics and athletics. However, I would suspect the posters here are a tad biased. If this were a poetry forum or a forum of educators or Liberians or cancer researchers, would they also say Cordova was bad for academics ?

I’ve seen some stats that reflect Purdue’s academic standing in many schools declined.

As for the new President, one doesn’t really know what his priorities will be. Maybe he’ll be big into research or changing Kranert management into a business school. Maybe he’ll be big into student life and build some new dorms. Or maybe he’ll be big into computer tech and improve WiFi. Or possibly he’ll be into more remote online learning.

Let’s face it. He’s the university president not the athletic director! It will be interesting to see who has more influence on him: athletics, alumni, Fiscal responsibility, revenue generating or academics. And it will be interesting to see which academic programs he prioritizes as well. Maybe Purdue will have a school of music .

Athletics had a good run with Daniels. They enjoyed a lot more influence with him than any other previous Purdue president. I suspect the new president will support athletics but not to the degree that many here would desire!

Most people would call Purdue University one of those elite institutions that graduates snowflakes!

Many here have said that Cordova was bad for both academics and athletics. However, I would suspect the posters here are a tad biased. If this were a poetry forum or a forum of educators or Liberians or cancer researchers, would they also say Cordova was bad for academics ?

I’ve seen some stats that reflect Purdue’s academic standing in many schools declined.

As for the new President, one doesn’t really know what his priorities will be. Maybe he’ll be big into research or changing Kranert management into a business school. Maybe he’ll be big into student life and build some new dorms. Or maybe he’ll be big into computer tech and improve WiFi. Or possibly he’ll be into more remote online learning.

Let’s face it. He’s the university president not the athletic director! It will be interesting to see who has more influence on him: athletics, alumni, Fiscal responsibility, revenue generating or academics. And it will be interesting to see which academic programs he prioritizes as well. Maybe Purdue will have a school of music .

Athletics had a good run with Daniels. They enjoyed a lot more influence with him than any other previous Purdue president. I suspect the new president will support athletics but not to the degree that many here would desire!
I think your post is speculative at best. The dislike of Cordova across all departments was tangible and deep. Sure, she had a few luke-warm supporters, but most did not think she was the Leader that Purdue required. Academics and academic stature declined under he watch. So did donations and endowments. I don’t need to point out the complete failure of major athletics during her tenure, of course. That’s pretty obvious. Her fake-position husband-hire was just the last straw.

By the way, I don’t get your snowflake statement at all. Why do you think Purdue graduates snowflakes?

My 2 cents worth.....

I have had some interaction with now President Chiang over the last few years, though am far from someone that is close to him personally or professionally. He is probably one of the most driven and most competitive people you are likely to meet. I can see him wanting to win everything all of the time, including athletics--some of this is first hand observation in non-academic situations. Even if he is not a complete sports nut, I have zero doubt that he is pragmatic enough to understand the value that high-performing athletics has from a marketing/visibility standpoint for the university.

The Tik Tok ban is no doubt an extension of Keith Krach's tech diplomacy efforts. I believe both Krach and Chiang crossed paths multiple times during both of their stints in D.C.

President Daniels was very good for Purdue. I was somewhat skeptical when he has brought in, but both first-hand interactions with his office on some items and seeing what he has done for the university at large, I think he did a great job.

I was actually fairly excited about the Cordova hire because I had thought Purdue needed to adjust some of their academic concentration, rather on building infrastructure or further expanding research-for-hire centric goals and I thought that her background was going to be a good fit. I agree with the former poster that mentioned that Purdue's academic status slipped under her, but as we saw, her fundamental understanding of how create a vision and lead toward that vision was terrible. She also could not see value in things that she was personally interested or vested in. (i.e. athletics). I know several people that had to work with her and the examples of how terrible she was to work with makes me wonder how Purdue retained any talent at the top of the university. Even though some of the anecdotes come from my best friends and I have zero doubts as to their truths, I did not personally witness them and so won't publicly publish them. Rather, if you have friends in Purdue's administration during her reign....ask them.

This has become a Wole-worthy (inadvertent Seinfeld reference?) length post. Boiler UP!

Even though some of the anecdotes come from my best friends and I have zero doubts as to their truths, I did not personally witness them and so won't publicly publish them.
Hey man, I've got no problem with that. Talking with a Professor that's still there, under her admin the facilities costs were broken up by department area, not necessarily complexity of maintenance and usage. That put the Athletic Department (with both golf courses, stadium, co-rec, Mackey, all sports fields, etc.) at the top of the pile responsible for the lions share of facility maintenance costs. You can draw the line as to why some of the Big Ten television money was drawn off at that time for other University expenses.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Cordova did not place academics ahead of athletics. Both sides suffered under her administration. Purdues academics degraded under her watch. Basically a f-ing disaster on all fronts.
Wasn't she the one who wanted to change our name from Boilermakers to just Makers? My kids were both at Purdue for her last two years and they much preferred Mitch.

Reactions: mathboy
My 2 cents worth.....

I have had some interaction with now President Chiang over the last few years, though am far from someone that is close to him personally or professionally. He is probably one of the most driven and most competitive people you are likely to meet. I can see him wanting to win everything all of the time, including athletics--some of this is first hand observation in non-academic situations. Even if he is not a complete sports nut, I have zero doubt that he is pragmatic enough to understand the value that high-performing athletics has from a marketing/visibility standpoint for the university.

The Tik Tok ban is no doubt an extension of Keith Krach's tech diplomacy efforts. I believe both Krach and Chiang crossed paths multiple times during both of their stints in D.C.

President Daniels was very good for Purdue. I was somewhat skeptical when he has brought in, but both first-hand interactions with his office on some items and seeing what he has done for the university at large, I think he did a great job.

I was actually fairly excited about the Cordova hire because I had thought Purdue needed to adjust some of their academic concentration, rather on building infrastructure or further expanding research-for-hire centric goals and I thought that her background was going to be a good fit. I agree with the former poster that mentioned that Purdue's academic status slipped under her, but as we saw, her fundamental understanding of how create a vision and lead toward that vision was terrible. She also could not see value in things that she was personally interested or vested in. (i.e. athletics). I know several people that had to work with her and the examples of how terrible she was to work with makes me wonder how Purdue retained any talent at the top of the university. Even though some of the anecdotes come from my best friends and I have zero doubts as to their truths, I did not personally witness them and so won't publicly publish them. Rather, if you have friends in Purdue's administration during her reign....ask them.

This has become a Wole-worthy (inadvertent Seinfeld reference?) length post. Boiler UP!
My question is, why didn’t we can Cordova after a couple years of her failures?

LOL. I suspect that someone reverts to speaking from emotion when others speak from readily available data. And yes, the schools of science and engineering were complaining. The administration was considering shutting down Purdue Polytech, which is now fluorishing.

While Purdue's national and global ratings were falling, Cordova raised tuition many multiples over the inflation rate. She was preferentially accepting foreign students over the Indiana taxpayer's kids because they were higher valued RGUs (revenue generating units). That's what the students were referred to under her administration.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT