ADVERTISEMENT

WARNING: on driving from Colorado across state lines....

jfv2000

All-American
May 29, 2001
FWIW: As I am sure everyone knows, marijuana is the new growth industry in Colorado but it is illegal to take it out of the state. Last September some friends were coming back from a trip out west and stopped to pick up a package for a woman in Chicago we are friends with. Not long after they crossed the state line on I-70 they passed a sign saying "Last Exit Before Mandatory Drug Search of All Vehicles." They had a split second to make a decision on what to do. They chose to continue on I-70. Smart move, because all the cars that had exited were being stopped and searched while there was NO ONE on I-70. I was on the I-70 in November and again this past March and saw no such activity,

On another anecdote, I grew up in Overland Park, KS, about 30 minutes from KU where 4 of my siblings and many, many friends went to school. Back in the 70's, it was legal to drink 3.2 beer at 18, so college campuses were rife with bars - the Hawk, the Wheel and so on. While you could buy what some call grocery store beer there, you could not buy liquor by the drink ANYWHERE in the state, nor could you be packing it on your person. Kansas had a hard-assessed AG named Vern Miller (probably a distant relative to Sheriff Joe Arpaio). If a law was on the books, he enforced it until the legislature change it. He actually posted KBI agents on planes flying in Kansas' airspace and ticketed the flight attendants the minute they poured a drink! Furthermore, my friends in college back home confirmed that he posted agents outside the entrances to the football stadiums at KU, K-State, and Wichita St. and searched students and alumni-alike. Lots of embarrassed and pissed-off alumni, of course. The students didn't care because a lot of them had weed in their shoes and socks. I guess when your football team is that poor, you have to do something to get through a game!

Reactions: claycalebrooklyn
JFV - are you saying that if you are pulled over eastbound in Kansas and get pulled over for whatever reason, the cops have probable cause just based on your driving direction to search your car for weed? Full disclosure, i do not and never have smoked, just trying to understand this. Also are you saying your friends transported marijuana to Chicago? This sounds like a new Will Farrell Tina Fey romcom.

Reactions: jcelpers
Haha, back in the 90’s they would put those signs up on the grade into Denver flashing ‘Herion checkpoint 1 mile ahead’ and always before an exit. Not a new gambit.

Question for your ‘friend’, did they really think that every vehicle on I-70 is giving to be stopped?

Last edited:
Reactions: mk_peters
Are you saying your friends transported drugs across state lines? If I were your friends, I wouldn’t want you posting that on internet chat boards

I have made the trip along 70 several times and have never seen that. Not saying I do not believe you or the heroin story from another poster just never saw it.

Sending weed out of state, or carrying it out of state is illegal.

I will say I heard and read about KS pulling over a real high percentage of CO license plated vehicles, and if memory serves me correct the courts ordered them to stop profiling.

FWIW: As I am sure everyone knows, marijuana is the new growth industry in Colorado but it is illegal to take it out of the state. Last September some friends were coming back from a trip out west and stopped to pick up a package for a woman in Chicago we are friends with. Not long after they crossed the state line on I-70 they passed a sign saying "Last Exit Before Mandatory Drug Search of All Vehicles." They had a split second to make a decision on what to do. They chose to continue on I-70. Smart move, because all the cars that had exited were being stopped and searched while there was NO ONE on I-70. I was on the I-70 in November and again this past March and saw no such activity,

On another anecdote, I grew up in Overland Park, KS, about 30 minutes from KU where 4 of my siblings and many, many friends went to school. Back in the 70's, it was legal to drink 3.2 beer at 18, so college campuses were rife with bars - the Hawk, the Wheel and so on. While you could buy what some call grocery store beer there, you could not buy liquor by the drink ANYWHERE in the state, nor could you be packing it on your person. Kansas had a hard-assessed AG named Vern Miller (probably a distant relative to Sheriff Joe Arpaio). If a law was on the books, he enforced it until the legislature change it. He actually posted KBI agents on planes flying in Kansas' airspace and ticketed the flight attendants the minute they poured a drink! Furthermore, my friends in college back home confirmed that he posted agents outside the entrances to the football stadiums at KU, K-State, and Wichita St. and searched students and alumni-alike. Lots of embarrassed and pissed-off alumni, of course. The students didn't care because a lot of them had weed in their shoes and socks. I guess when your football team is that poor, you have to do something to get through a game!
I believe air crews after takeoff are not subject to state laws as they are governed by the FAA and adhere to federal statutes. Not sure why the flight attendants would get a ticket for serving a drink in the first place.

Haha, back in the 90’s they would put those signs up on the grade into Denver flashing ‘Herion checkpoint 1 mile ahead’ and always before an exit. Not a new gambit.

Question for your ‘friend’, did they really think that every vehicle on I-70 is giving to be stopped?
Most people have to react before they have time to think logically. That's why they put the sign just a quarter mile or so before the exit. The only ones stopped are the ones exiting. BTW, it is an actual friend. Great guy, funny as hell, but doesn't even drink, let alone smoke. Goes by the name "R. K. xxxx."

I think "heroin" was never legal anywhere and was not too commonly found back then. They may have been targeting the mules coming back and forth from Mexico with brown heroin. Chicago was a big distribution point. Until synthetic opioids like fentanyl came around and were available in pure pharmaceutical grade, smack was the absolute worst. I remember reading a Life magazine cover story in 1965 entitled "Needle Park," about a place in Manhattan where people went to shoot up. I think they discussed what were considered the three most common addictions at the time, in order increasing danger: marijuana, cocaine, and heroin. I have linked it below as it was such a classic photo essay.

http://time.com/3731579/two-lives-lost-to-heroin-a-harrowing-early-portrait-of-addicts/

As a Libertarian, I think drugs should be legal, just not sale and distribution, which should have even harsher consequences than they do now. At least finally, laws are starting to tighten down on the willy-nilly distribution of narcotic painkillers like hydrocodone by doctors, dentists and such.

Last edited:
As a Libertarian, I think drugs should be legal, just not sale and distribution, which should have even harsher consequences than they do now. At least finally, laws are starting to tighten down on the willy-nilly distribution of narcotic painkillers like hydrocodone by doctors, dentists and such.

Who told you you are a Libertarian?

Who told you you are a Libertarian?
No one. I reached that conclusion all on my own by studying Hayek, Friedman, Rothbard, von Mises, Bastiat, etc. as well as certain classical liberals (conservatives like Edmund Burke.) I have belonged and have contributed to the Cato Institute for at least 10 years. Libertarianism has a big tent, just like any large more traditional groups like the Democrats, Republicans, Roman Catholics, etc. Did that answer your question?

Last edited:

We should just have a weed draft.

Reactions: Chicago Joe
I believe air crews after takeoff are not subject to state laws as they are governed by the FAA and adhere to federal statutes. Not sure why the flight attendants would get a ticket for serving a drink in the first place.
In the 80's i can vouch for drinks being picked back up on trans con flights over KS airspace...Also in Okla .. no indians being served in Holiday Inns..males --18..females 21

I remember seeing that sign on a drive back to STL from CO at least 20 years ago. As we went past the exit we looked over and it was a county road with no services at the exit so anyone exiting either lived in the area or was carrying.

So, basically, you're warning the board to not transport illegal drugs across state lines?

Hot take of the day.
No. What I am saying is that just because you can legally buy marijuana in Colorado, don't think you can take it across state lines even though you legally came into possession of it in another state. It is still a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act. You are correct in that Federal authorities consider possession of marijuana illegal and while most states don't go around looking for people possessing small amounts (they prefer to go after large-scale dealers and distributors), but, apparently in Kansas they see enforcing the law as the correct thing to do, especially if you are looking for easy to-come-by revenue for the state.

It is unconstitutional to impede a persons travel from state to state simply because they have a certain license plate.
That has nothing to do with the matter at hand. The license plate doesn't matter if you have legitimate suspicion/reason to stop. If the law you refer to takes precedence, people from out-of-state could not be stopped if they were driving drunk or in violation of the Mann Act.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT