ADVERTISEMENT

Wan'Dale Robinson Enters Transfer Portal

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Wan'Dale has entered the transfer portal. I know UK fans are blowing up their message board that he needs to come home, since he originally verballed to him. However, I would say that Purdue is at the top of his list.

You will see my prior comments in other posts during the football season that I thought he would be entering the transfer portal, and he is who Purdue needs. I also said that Purdue was the perfect designation for his talent. He always wanted to go to Purdue. He liked how Brohm created an offensive scheme around Rondale's talent and strengths. He wanted the same scheme, but Brohm could not do that fully with Rondale being on the team. Wan'Dale did not want to wait to be the main person, so he felt he had to look elsewhere.

He is great friends with Rondale, and they workout during the off season at a place here in Louisville for athletes. I am sure Rondale has been talking to him and giving him some advice on Purdue. Rondale has been a great recruiter for us in the past.

Hope we get him!!!

Kentucky does not fit his game plan. He would benefit by coming to Purdue and utilizing his abilities.

Reactions: DAG10
While I certainly will welcome him, I do find it somewhat odd he is transferring. He was getting a lot of touches and producing. Guess he wants to have a monster year (like 2018 Moore) and get to the NFL asap and his putting his eggs in the Brohm basket? Anyone have any further insight?

While I certainly will welcome him, I do find it somewhat odd he is transferring. He was getting a lot of touches and producing. Guess he wants to have a monster year (like 2018 Moore) and get to the NFL asap and his putting his eggs in the Brohm basket? Anyone have any further insight?
He was being used as pretty much an every down back and not a WR. I'm guessing he projects better as a receiver in the NFL?

Reactions: DAG10

He was sold on Nebraska to be Rondale and not an almost RB. He got a ton of carries, some games with 20+ if I recall.

Not what he wanted.

Could he make a TE ? Purdue has a history of TEs that were known for catching the ball rather than being run blocking TEs.

he's an interesting study. i thought when recruited, that Purdue was his first choice, and then he oddly picked Nebraska seemingly out of nowhere as they promised to make him a star. Nebraska kept their end of the promise and gave him an opportunity to play. However, he never gained any real limelight. I cannot see if he came to Purdue that he would be utilized the way Moore was utilized as a freshman. Moore had one of those once in a lifetime years. Would he accept a secondary role to Bell? Would Bell accept a secondary role to him? and how would this affect Carr's role?

it's great to have talent coming to purdue. it's even better to have a plan on how to incorporate that talent with existing players.

Reactions: Outside blitz
Could he make a TE ? Purdue has a history of TEs that were known for catching the ball rather than being run blocking TEs.

he's an interesting study. i thought when recruited, that Purdue was his first choice, and then he oddly picked Nebraska seemingly out of nowhere as they promised to make him a star. Nebraska kept their end of the promise and gave him an opportunity to play. However, he never gained any real limelight. I cannot see if he came to Purdue that he would be utilized the way Moore was utilized as a freshman. Moore had one of those once in a lifetime years. Would he accept a secondary role to Bell? Would Bell accept a secondary role to him? and how would this affect Carr's role?

it's great to have talent coming to purdue. it's even better to have a plan on how to incorporate that talent with existing players.
TE?? WTF are you talking about? He's 5'9" tall and weighs about 180...

He’d kick field goals before ever playing TE!

He was being used as pretty much an every down back and not a WR. I'm guessing he projects better as a receiver in the NFL?

No... No, he wasn't an every down back. Not by a long shot. He was an emergency RB. Three players (including QB Martinez) had MUCH greater rushing yardage this year than he did.

His carries dropped off this year, and his receptions went up.

I believe you are correct with your guess on him projecting as an NFL receiver.

Reactions: purduepat1969
TE?? WTF are you talking about? He's 5'9" tall and weighs about 180...

my thoughts are he didn't like playing RB at Nebraska. Purdue already has a stable of quality wide receivers. Tight Ends don't have to be blockers. Most of purdue's best TEs never threw a block in their lives. So you line him up where a normal TE would line up. and you let him run the routes a normal TE would run. Essentially, you allow him to be a receiver in the TE position. He's not going to run fly patterns. You have bell running the slot. So you allow him to run the shorter routes a TE would normally run. Basically, you get the ball in his hands and let him run with it.

That seems like a creative idea to me. You basically add another receiver and place him in the TE slot. I'll ask the question, who would you rather have running those TE routes? Our existing TE? or Robinson?

You can't just bring him to Purdue as a back-up. you have to have a plan on how to utilize his talents. he doesn't like being a RB. We already have bell. So that's my plan. if you have a better plan, I'm all ears. What's your plan as to how to utilize him?

I'm waiting.

• Wow
Reactions: Purdue85
my thoughts are he didn't like playing RB at Nebraska. Purdue already has a stable of quality wide receivers. Tight Ends don't have to be blockers. Most of purdue's best TEs never threw a block in their lives. So you line him up where a normal TE would line up. and you let him run the routes a normal TE would run. Essentially, you allow him to be a receiver in the TE position. He's not going to run fly patterns. You have bell running the slot. So you allow him to run the shorter routes a TE would normally run. Basically, you get the ball in his hands and let him run with it.

That seems like a creative idea to me. You basically add another receiver and place him in the TE slot. I'll ask the question, who would you rather have running those TE routes? Our existing TE? or Robinson?

You can't just bring him to Purdue as a back-up. you have to have a plan on how to utilize his talents. he doesn't like being a RB. We already have bell. So that's my plan. if you have a better plan, I'm all ears. What's your plan as to how to utilize him?

I'm waiting.

Hi Bam Bam. I don't agree with your idea. The use of a small dude like Robinson won't work in that position. He will be running TE patterns with linebackers all over him. Once he catches the ball, he will be buried with their size and become injured very easily. See those patterns require him to stop and sit in the gaps of those linebackers. He will not be able to get our of their way because he is in the function of catching the ball. He will be more effective on the run where he can catch the ball on the move and make yards after the catch. But he will also be able to avoid injury more easily in the wide out or slot position. So, using him in TE strategy just makes him a running back again and he didn't like that.

Reactions: Wolegib

I'm waiting.

See Rondale for how he’d be used. If he were playing in your scenario, they Would play a nickel or dime since it would be playing 4 WR with no TE.

I'm waiting.

He was never Nebraska's feature back.

He was the most talented player on Nebraska's team. If he came to Purdue, he'd easily be on the field. If someone of Robinson's talent came to Purdue, he'd be expected to contribute. Immediately.

At Nebraska, Frost's intent was clear: get Robinson the ball in as many different ways as possible. From the backfield, on jet sweeps, through the air.

Per Robinson: "I loved the touches and the way I got the touches. Sometimes they don't translate to the way I want them to for the NFL."

Get him the ball. That's the plan.

Reactions: DAG10 and Poprudy
He was never Nebraska's feature back.

He was the most talented player on Nebraska's team. If he came to Purdue, he'd easily be on the field. If someone of Robinson's talent came to Purdue, he'd be expected to contribute. Immediately.

At Nebraska, Frost's intent was clear: get Robinson the ball in as many different ways as possible. From the backfield, on jet sweeps, through the air.

Per Robinson: "I loved the touches and the way I got the touches. Sometimes they don't translate to the way I want them to for the NFL."

Get him the ball. That's the plan.

Thanks for sharing the quote. Certainly appears this is a business decision. I think I'm going to be surprised if he doesn't choose Purdue.

In today's NFL offenses, there's a lot of opportunity for players like Rondale and Wandale. You just need to figure out ways to get them the ball in space. Unless you're Derrek Henry, 6'4, 240, it's hard to last long in the NFL as an every down back just running between the tackles.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Hi Bam Bam. I don't agree with your idea. The use of a small dude like Robinson won't work in that position. He will be running TE patterns with linebackers all over him. Once he catches the ball, he will be buried with their size and become injured very easily. See those patterns require him to stop and sit in the gaps of those linebackers. He will not be able to get our of their way because he is in the function of catching the ball. He will be more effective on the run where he can catch the ball on the move and make yards after the catch. But he will also be able to avoid injury more easily in the wide out or slot position. So, using him in TE strategy just makes him a running back again and he didn't like that.

Did you seen how Bama used Smith? Smith is not a big guy, but they lined him up all over the field and found some really creative ways to get him the ball. Can't believe OSU continued to get burned by the same guy over and over, but they did until he got hurt.

I'm waiting.
He wouldn't be a backup at Purdue genius. He'd be playing in the slot and likely be the #1 or #2 target in our offense. Goodness sakes...

Reactions: joseole101
thanks for the civil replies. and thanks for the complement Purdue pat calling me a genius. the truth is, I'm not really a genius, but I'm glad you think I am. Actually I am. You very astute and insightful guy.

My thoughts are simple. Robinson didn't like being a RB. Get him the ball and let him do his thing. . I could see Purdue using him much like they used Moore. I'm fairly certain that's what the pitch will be. But in so doing, how will that effect our other players like Carr and Bell? Will they accept a back seat and a lesser role? I sort of thought Bell was going to take over Moore's slot position and role. Could we have an offense with both Bell and Robinson starting?

Having talent is a good thing. being able to fully utilize it is sometimes more difficult.

Reactions: Inspector100
thanks for the civil replies. and thanks for the complement Purdue pat calling me a genius. the truth is, I'm not really a genius, but I'm glad you think I am. Actually I am. You very astute and insightful guy.

My thoughts are simple. Robinson didn't like being a RB. Get him the ball and let him do his thing. . I could see Purdue using him much like they used Moore. I'm fairly certain that's what the pitch will be. But in so doing, how will that effect our other players like Carr and Bell? Will they accept a back seat and a lesser role? I sort of thought Bell was going to take over Moore's slot position and role. Could we have an offense with both Bell and Robinson starting?

Having talent is a good thing. being able to fully utilize it is sometimes more difficult.
First, he was played all over field, in an effort to get him the ball. He wasn't exclusively a "RB".

Second, where the heck are you getting that he "didn't like being a RB"?

I've already quoted him, that he "loved the touches and the way (he) got the touches". That doesn't sound like someone who "didn't like being a RB".

Goodness, genius. ;)

Reactions: joseole101
You know I would like to think that Rondale would have enough good things to say about Purdue and the program to interest Wandale. But I just don't know if that is true, and unfortunately this year was a mess. Of course Covid had a lot to do with that, but there were clearly other issues inside the program.

I’m not that sure we’d be a destination point. Brohm’s offense has really lacked creativity in my opinion the past couple of seasons even with Moore back this year. This past year the play book should have been wide open throttle with nothing to lose in a pandemic year, like the old Oregon offense on steroids. You can sell an exciting offense to playmakers, etc

He is basically already enrolled at UK. Good luck on your future seasons.
Does he want to become a running back? Just curious because Kentucky is such a run heavy team. I get he's home sick but Kentucky isn't getting him to the next level with their offense.

I can’t believe you’re trying to convince everyone that Wandale Robinson should be a tight end in the big ten. I thought you were joking honesty.

Here is an update from Steve from 247Sports. Sounds like it is 50/50 between UK and Purdue.

I liked this part of the article.

The source indicated Purdue’s offense is a no-brainer for the style Robinson wants to play, seeing the success another Kentucky native in Rondale Moore, who also happens to train at the same Aspirations facility, had. There is trust that the offensive side of the coaching staff will remain in place.

He could be a star in Brohm's offense. I hope he realizes that. Hope Brohm and Rondale can persuade him.

Reactions: DAG10 and Poprudy
Here is an update from Steve from 247Sports. Sounds like it is 50/50 between UK and Purdue.

I liked this part of the article.

The source indicated Purdue’s offense is a no-brainer for the style Robinson wants to play, seeing the success another Kentucky native in Rondale Moore, who also happens to train at the same Aspirations facility, had. There is trust that the offensive side of the coaching staff will remain in place.

He could be a star in Brohm's offense. I hope he realizes that. Hope Brohm and Rondale can persuade him.

RM had been figured out by big 10 defenses by his 3rd year. Plug WR into the same role and he's destined to fail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT