ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball news well sort of

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
I’m not one that usually plays the I have sources game, however, a buddies daughter who goes to the Volleyball games and is friends with a few girls on the team told me that 2 of the Sr’s are likely to return. She gave me the names but I’m not going to post out of respect to them, anyway, my guess is that could change if Purdue were to make a Final 4.

I have a guess on one possibility but will also not say a name. It’s the player’s decision and their prerogative to announce when they’re ready. ANY of them coming back would be sweet!

Newton and Otec have been key to the success of this season without a doubt. So so glad they get another chance at a deep run in the tourney - hopefully all the way to a FF (and championship!).

I have a guess on one possibility but will also not say a name. It’s the player’s decision and their prerogative to announce when they’re ready. ANY of them coming back would be sweet!

Newton and Otec have been key to the success of this season without a doubt. So so glad they get another chance at a deep run in the tourney - hopefully all the way to a FF (and championship!).
Agreed, seeing Otec and Newton return was great. I understand if someone after 4-5 years wants to get on with life, however, if it were me and I had 1 extra year of free schooling I’m playing the extra year if Coach wants me to lol. Guessing there’s a reason only 2 girls were brought in. Anyway, 1 at a time, survive and advance starts tonight guys!

So the VB team beat Dayton 3-2 sets to win the 2nd round and advance. That may sound like the expected outcome but at the break after 2 sets Dayon had won both of the first two sets and was dominating us while we were playing terrible.. I was convinced we were going down.

But whatever Coach Shondell told them at half must have really clicked as Purdue increasingly dominated the last three sets and by the 5th set Dayton clearly realized they were not going to win. They were pummeled 15-5.

It makes me admire the coaching staff more than ever that they could turn the team around when they looked so disorganized and confused before the half. But we will certainly will have to play better from the start if we are to get to the Final Four.

So the VB team beat Dayton 3-2 sets to win the 2nd round and advance. That may sound like the expected outcome but at the break after 2 sets Dayon had won both of the first two sets and was dominating us while we were playing terrible.. I was convinced we were going down.

But whatever Coach Shondell told them at half must have really clicked as Purdue increasingly dominated the last three sets and by the 5th set Dayton clearly realized they were not going to win. They were pummeled 15-5.

It makes me admire the coaching staff more than ever that they could turn the team around when they looked so disorganized and confused before the half. But we will certainly will have to play better from the start if we are to get to the Final Four.
Purdue was up 24-22 in the first set and ended up losing 27-25, looked like that carried over to the second set where Purdue got outplayed. After that Purdue dominated and pretty much blew out Dayton in the last 3 sets. It seems that Purdue always has 1 set where they don’t play well, even against lesser opponents like Rutgers, Maryland, IU late in the year the ladies dropped a set. From here on out Purdue has to be on top of their game or they get bounced, they play the winner of once beaten BYU or #16 ranked Utah next, won’t be easy. If Penn State were to upset Pitt today the match is in West Lafayette, if Pitt wins the Boilers travel there. At this point not sure it really matters, Purdue plays just as well on the road as at home lately, for the fans sake it would be great to host again though so I’ll hope Penn St wins.

I wasn’t able to tune in to the broadcast til the middle of the second set - and was immediately disheartened. Geez Louise, why do Purdue teams always have to make my BP go up ?? 😊. I too thought they were headed for a first round exit.
(and thought the mens BB team was gonna blow their game too!)

As Doc said, Shondell either found some magic words or the team woke up to a stark realization that “this is it!” and gathered themselves to play Boiler VB. Or both. Also agree with Mr Davie that they seem to always have one bad set. I’m going to look for a silver lining in that pattern in hoping that (MULTIPLE) instances of dropping a set, and then winning, gives them confidence they are never out of it. Nebraska match was an outlier - I hope.
(but last night was too close for comfort).

This team is deep and talented- they have the tools, need to sharpen them, dig in and be relentless. Hoping against hope that PSU upsets Pitt so they stay home to play 2 more. However, they do seem to focus better on the road at times.

It’s hard to be a Purdue fan….. sigh….😊

Reactions: DocRon
Purdue was up 24-22 in the first set and ended up losing 27-25, looked like that carried over to the second set where Purdue got outplayed. After that Purdue dominated and pretty much blew out Dayton in the last 3 sets. It seems that Purdue always has 1 set where they don’t play well, even against lesser opponents like Rutgers, Maryland, IU late in the year the ladies dropped a set. From here on out Purdue has to be on top of their game or they get bounced, they play the winner of once beaten BYU or #16 ranked Utah next, won’t be easy. If Penn State were to upset Pitt today the match is in West Lafayette, if Pitt wins the Boilers travel there. At this point not sure it really matters, Purdue plays just as well on the road as at home lately, for the fans sake it would be great to host again though so I’ll hope Penn St wins.
Agree with you other than you left out that in the first set they were way behind (when Dayton was at or approaching 20) and then rallied to take that last lead 24-22 before losing. And they really did not look good. The defense looked bad in both of the two sets and after the game on radio Coach called out Jena Otec and Marissa Hornung for playing "bad". (I was surprised he was that blunt about it publicly after the game. I asked my wife - "Did he just say that?") But he also said they dramatically improved in the last 3 sets.

I also thought that neither Emma Ellis not Jena Johnson had good games. Emma was replaced by "The Maddies" and Johnson was frequently replaced by Taylor Tammell if I am not mistaken. (I will have to admit I have not seen the box score.)

I agree it probably doesn't matter much where the match is held. Coach Shondell said earlier this year that home court advantage in volleyball is very much overrated.

Last edited:
Pitt just beat Penn State 3-1 so that will be our destination next weekend. Only caught the second 2 sets and both were very close and Penn State was just a couple points away from winning 3-1.

Illinois proving why we struggled with them this year by knocking off 7th seed Kentucky to go to the Sweet Sixteen where they'll likely face off against Nebraska who is up 2-0 over FSU.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Agree with you other than you left out that in the first set they were way behind (when Dayton was at or approaching 20) and then rallied to take that last lead 24-22 before losing. And they really did not look good. The defense looked bad in both of the two sets and after the game on radio Coach called out Jena Otec and Marissa Hornung for playing "bad". (I was surprised he was that blunt about it publicly after the game. I asked my wife - "Did he just say that?") But he also said they dramatically improved in the last 3 sets.

I also thought that neither Emma Ellis not Jena Johnson had good games. Emma was replaced by "The Maddies" and Johnson was frequently replaced by Taylor Tammell if I am not mistaken. (I will have to admit I have not seen the box score.)

I agree it probably doesn't matter much where the match is held. Coach Shondell said earlier this year that home court advantage in volleyball is very much overrated.
Yea, think about it Doc, the officials can’t really favor the home team like hoops. The crowd cheering fires up both teams lol. Only advantage would be travel but even that isn’t a huge deal considering they’ll already be there in plenty of time for the games.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT