ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Purdue

Aug 1, 2007
Hey everyone,

Now that we have a real football coach again and not the loser that was Chris Ash, I have decided to spend money again on Rutgers football road trips. Have had Purdue circled for a while.

I was hoping to get some advice on where to stay (Lafayette vs West Lafayette). Suggested hotels or neighborhoods to stay (considering AirBnB). Places to eat, bars to check out. Anything interesting in the surrounding areas.

I'm in my 30s with a family so will not doing anything too crazy but really looking forward to visiting your campus.

A real coach that was 26-25 in his last stint at Rutgers? Hope for your sake he does better than that this time around.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Hey everyone,

Now that we have a real football coach again and not the loser that was Chris Ash, I have decided to spend money again on Rutgers football road trips. Have had Purdue circled for a while.

I was hoping to get some advice on where to stay (Lafayette vs West Lafayette). Suggested hotels or neighborhoods to stay (considering AirBnB). Places to eat, bars to check out. Anything interesting in the surrounding areas.

I'm in my 30s with a family so will not doing anything too crazy but really looking forward to visiting your campus.
If it's homecoming or parents weekend, Lafayette. If i's any other weekend, W. Lafayette. Lafayette has a ton of places to stay out on the 26/65 interchange, all reasonably priced with nice amenities (indoor pool for the kids). you're just one exit down to the 25/52 exit that would bring you into the north side of campus, right on top of the stadium. There are a couple of places there on 52 in W. Lafayette that are pretty ncie. The closer in you get, the more $$$ you'll pay. There's a fixed post at the top of the page for fanplan, they're supposed to be able to set you up. If you use, it. please report back to the forum how it works, I'd be curious to know. Boilermaker nation looks forward to hosting you. Boiler UP!

Reactions: bananabucket
I checked out FanPlan, it wasn't very helpful unless the game is going to be in a few weeks. I actually used to run a site that had a tailgate guide for every B1G school but I got tired of hosting it.

Reactions: Tommaker
The Union Club Hotel renovations on campus should be completed by the start of 2020 season. Its the only accomodations within the campus footprint and close to stadium. You can walk to bars, dining and shopping areas from there and would be adjacent to Memorial Union or you can eat at Triple XXX (featured on DDD)-2 blks away or iconic Brunos Swiss Inn on levee. Both restaurants are family friendly.

I tried Airbnb last fall and options are disappointing or over-priced in WL area.

Reactions: DAG10 and RUskoolie
The Union Club Hotel renovations on campus should be completed by the start of 2020 season. Its the only accomodations within the campus footprint and close to stadium. You can walk to bars, dining and shopping areas from there and would be adjacent to Memorial Union or you can eat at Triple XXX (featured on DDD)-2 blks away or iconic Brunos Swiss Inn on levee. Both restaurants are family friendly.

I tried Airbnb last fall and options are disappointing or over-priced in WL area.
Interesting, I was wondering about how that was around campus. What is "overpriced"? I wonder is that's enterprising students students trying to make a few kopeks.

keep in mind the Rutgers game unfortunately is during Fall break so many of the students will leave campus the day before the game or head back with their parents home post-game. Purdue has repeatedly asked the conference to not schedule home games during this break but they don't seem to care.

That's what I noticed. I enjoy doing AirBnB but the price has to make sense. It was $400 a night for a couple in a house, more than double one of the really nice hotels on the water (can't remember the name).

Reactions: pboiler18
A real coach that was 26-25 in his last stint at Rutgers? Hope for your sake he does better than that this time around.

You need to focus on his 56-33 record and winner of 6 out of 7 bowl games over the latter part of his stint. Chop!

I checked out FanPlan, it wasn't very helpful unless the game is going to be in a few weeks. I actually used to run a site that had a tailgate guide for every B1G school but I got tired of hosting it.
Was your revenue via lodging and restaurants of the host universities? I applaud your effort, that would be a Big (every pun intended) undertaking. You'd think there would be a pretty good market for it.

In the Big East no less. Not quite the BIG East.

You need to focus on his 56-33 record and winner of 6 out of 7 bowl games over the latter part of his stint. Chop!
He’s not in a weak conference anymore.

Last edited:
That's what I noticed. I enjoy doing AirBnB but the price has to make sense. It was $400 a night for a couple in a house, more than double one of the really nice hotels on the water (can't remember the name).
Recommend the XXX Restaurant just off the edge of campus. As another poster mentioned, it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri
https://www.triplexxxfamilyrestaurant.com/
Check out their link and History about XXX Root Beer. I'm a root beer lover, and enjoyed Drive-Ins as a kid, so it has good memories for me.

Reactions: RUskoolie and DAG10
Hey everyone,

I think Purdue fans, as much as anyone, can relate very well to your sentiment with respect to how it feels to have a "real coach" running things again.

My family went to the Purdue game at Rutgers a couple of years ago...other than the outcome, we had a great time.

Biggest difference that you will notice is literally just getting to the game...it was a task there, and, could not be more easy here.

Others have already touched on where to stay, and, some places to eat with Triple XXX being a must for a family, and, because of its history.

It may be worth coming in a day early or staying an extra day and spending some time in Indianapolis in that there is a lot to do there as a family, and, depending on the age of your kids, the Children's Museum is outstanding.

I think you will find Purdue and Lafayette/West Lafayette to be family-friendly and fan-friendly.

Wondering if they are taking reservations yet. Great place for a drunk walk home from Harry’s.

ADVERTISEMENT