ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova Message Boards (Selected Excerpts)

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I've gone through most of the Villanova public message boards and I was pleasantly surprised that Villanova fans didn't denigrate the opponent so much as analyze their own team and its faults that led to their defeat. Aside from a few brain-dead ones that were extremely critical of their coach, they were pretty accurate. Anyway, it's been a great weekend from a Purdue standpoint, so sit back, sip a cool one, and enjoy the posts. BlackGoldTexas

Win or move down one spot in the rankings again.

Nova is much better at: 3pt %, FT %, Steals. TOs
Purdue is much better at Rebounds

Ebey is a problem.

Edy isn’t that skilled. He’s just getting way too deep.

This is tough. Purdue is I feel the toughest team to play. Edy is catching the ball way too low.

Gotta front him hard and put pressure on the ball to deny the entry. Not sure we have guys at the top of our defense to do it right now.

Almost think Njoku might get bodied less down there.

Nova getting bodied but we saw this coming. Come back on them never quit!!!

This could get ugly quickly.

Not a basketball genius or anything but I think CMP wants them to move.

Getting smoked on the boards!

This is simply unfair. The tallest guy we have is 6'9". I think what we have to try to do at this point is run Edey around until he gets gassed.

Get that weak shit out of here, Ivey!

Edey’s shooting touch is a crime against humanity but he’s so big that he gets unlimited chances to clean up his own misses and try again.

Purdue flashbacks? I don't have any recollection of ever playing Purdue... And neither do you...neither do you...neither do you...

Where is our rebounding coming from? We need someone to step up on the boards.

Bad match up but so far, but we’ve taken the punch fine.

This is going to be a nightmare game if we can’t pull the bigs out.

Dixon doing better fronting Edy and forcing a catch further away. That's how you play him!

It’s a war and they have more soldiers in the game. We need bench help now.

I swear I was hoping that Samuels would not be guarding Williams(he did a good job) but it just wipes you out.....I wish Jay would go with another big.

Games winnable. They are good…but they are NOT Las Vegas 1990.

When Daniels starts hitting we are insaaaaaane!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can we ever hate this guy???????????? He’s a beast!

100 scouts watching Slater block a lottery pick 1 on 1 to close a half is pretty SWEET. That’s why you come to Villanova.

He’s a late 1st easy if he keeps up this FT% and holds guys like Ivey to inefficient offensive games. Not even a homer comment. The question is if he can keep that up. Hope he can!

Great first half and doing some adjustments down low in D.

This is a GREAT f*cking Villanova team! A team we can all be proud of.

Slater battling down low on Eby. GREAT DEFENSE!

Too easy for Edey. Sick of hearing his name.

If they do not wear down and get leg weary, they are going to win this game.

We are winning the mental battle.

We need to learn to close teams out. Same thing happened with UCLA. Gotta learn to step on the throat.

What's with these gold and black checked jackets?

They are ugly as $%#k.

Gillis not ready for game action.

I really want this game. So big!

Let's put this to bed!

Corner Caleb! Caleb's Corner?

Sounds like a place I'd buy antiques...

They’re wearing Purdue out…

But those Purdue bigs leaning on Dixon, Slater and Samuels risk wearing them out, too.

How can JM foul 7’4” center 35 feet from rim?

7 more minutes boys. Let’s do it.

7 minutes. 6 man rotation… No tired legs no tired no tired legs....

Foul shots guys!

****ing brutal. Keeping them in this.

Holy ****. Free throws guys!

Come on. Let's close out this shit.

Think that's third time Edey couldn't control high pass.

What a melt down!

F***, guys!

Worst 60 seconds of basketball in years.

I hate to say it guys but we are exhausted. We have to get some strength. Jay has not given guys breaks like usual...

F*** being tired, Jim. Guys need to grit it out.

Well, someone like Edey leaning on one for 35 minutes is likely to wear one out.

Tired legs. Doesn’t look like Jay is ever going to learn. Need to play the bench.

A friend of mine is at the game he says every Nova player is grabbing their shorts.......No legs we have to drive and get to the line.

You cannot play 6 dudes against good teams. Simply cannot.

This is almost a duplicate of UCLA, and it is LEG WEARINESS. That is why Gillespie is missing foul shots, guys are coming up short on shots, not getting to rotations all of sudden. You CANNOT play with six guys in a game this intense for 40 minutes. It is ridiculous. Especially when you have Samuels and Slater have to defend 260 pound guys in the post.

This is a tough game. And we’ve been playing very well. But the last two minutes of tape on this team is about as bad as a Jay Wright team has ever put together. Lazy turnovers, missed free throws, not marking on defense. You can’t beat a team like Purdue with that.

Is Jay’s reluctance to throw freshmen into the fire hurting our resume during these non-conference games? The Big East will be challenging, but we’re losing chances for signature wins.

We might lose but honestly a win in my book

How to lose a game in 10 steps!

What were the other 9?

Even yesterday up 20+, why does Jay only put the freshmen in with 2 minutes left? Ridiculous.

This is Jay’s fault I think.

This is 100% on Jay!

This is the UCLA game all over again…I mean has to be a wake up call for Jay. Dead legs = missed free throws, not getting back on D, sloppy turnovers, etc. PLAY THE BENCH JAY!!!

It is so obvious and I have been saying it the whole year. You CANNOT play with six guys and beat teams in games that are intense for 40 minutes. As the best coach in the country, I cannot understand why he hasn't learned that. That is why shots are coming up short, why Gillespie is short on foul shots, why rotations are no longer there, mental mistakes. All of it is weariness. 11 points ahead with 10 minutes to go, 10 points ahead of UCLA with 9 minutes to go.

I wish I had the 4D chess IQ to understand how in a team loaded with basically 5th year players with the benefit of waivers last year we still haven't managed to develop any bench whatsoever against teams that have built starters plus bench in a 2-3 year period.

Too bad college basketball games aren’t 35 minutes long. We’d have beat UCLA and Purdue.

Unbelievable collapse that’s 100% on Jay.

Caleb Furst, a freshman no better than two of Villanova's freshman, playing crunchtime minutes and making significant plays.

Sure could have used a 6 foot 9 250 pound guy in this one Jay. If only we had one. Oh wait we do.

This sucks so much. Nova is a better team than Purdue. But not when you manage the game this way. Terrible loss.

Jays rotation is costing us games. End of story.

They are a better team than both Purdue and UCLA and lost both. And it is because they wore down in both. And they are playing a team in Baylor that is as good or better than both of them.

Nova's already at the same level as #2 UCLA & #6 Purdue (with two hands tied behind Nova's back).

Easy to think weeks ago we could lose 2 of 3 of these games. But you can't leave someone like Gillespie out there for nearly 40 minutes, while expecting 6'7" guys to guard 290 pound centers standing 7'4". That's a recipe for a meltdown in the final five minutes of a game.

I wouldn't play for Jay Wright if you offered me all the tea in China. Our top 6 was so much better than theirs until the last 8 minutes. Gee I wonder why.

I’ll spit on ur grave one day!

Well now we know what kind of team we have. This is the whole enchilada right here. Nada. Two 5th year seniors, everyone else a year older with more experience as well. Two massive chokes in a short span against teams they were up late against and completely lost all the composure and clutch playmaking ability all of that experience is supposed to provide.

I'm laughing because some people still can't figure out that you have almost no chance to beat teams like UCLA & Purdue this early in the season playing green freshmen. Put one in the game and the opposition instantly targets that player. I file this under the category of: Duh. Wake up!

Fast forward to the NCAA tournament with all the non-CG/JS/CD/JM players substantially improving from where they are now. Re-match with Purdue ... and Purdue also won't be able to count on Nova missing 87 free throws in two minutes. Game, set, and match ... imho.

Caleb Furst from Purdue is a green freshman and played crunch time minutes and made the biggest shot of the game. And he is no further along than Longino or Njoku. They don't have to be significant but they can play spot minutes with four other veterans. That is how you develop them.

I feel for the players. They played hard and had the game. Purdue had 10 guys play and nobody played more than 33 minutes. Moore, Samuels and CG went 38-40. Purdue had 69 bench minutes we had 25.

Any team with good bigs, and Purdue has two, will roast us inside .Edey has improved massively in two years, but he looked like Shaq today . He’s not and never will be . All that and if we make FT we win . The missed points are one thing but the lost momentum cost us the game.

Villa-no-bench?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News