ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO: Graham Harrell, Offense Post-April 6th Practice

Let me get the bad news out of the way first. I am an IU grad, but also attended PU my freshman year.

Now for the rest of the story. I have lived in SoCal for 45 years. My youngest son played football at USC and was also on the staff while Graham was the OC. I was excited when he was announced after Kingsbury’s brief stay with USC. He runs a strict “run and shoot” offense, but the PAC 12 defenses adjusted to it quickly. One of the issues was the QB never kept the ball and ran with it. This was at Graham’s direction - he didn’t want the QB to get injured. Defenses quickly realized that and never respected the QB run. The RBs got killed since no one had to worry about the QB pulling the ball out and running. That, plus the fact that the runners got the ball very deep in the backfield resulted in USC averaging about 3.2 YPC if I recall. I watched him at WVU when JT Daniels was QB (my son played in the Trinity League as did Daniels) and saw the same issues.

I personally like the run and shoot offense, but Graham does need to adjust. Take care…good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT