ADVERTISEMENT

VBall @ UM win 3-1

TKPKID

True Freshman
Jun 12, 2020
Had the pleasure to go to my 2nd PU match in 3 days. Boilers actually came out lively and took the first set 25-21

PU dominated the 2nd set 25-15.

3rd set was a bit back and forth but UM looked a lot better, had some miracle defensive plays and kept PU off balance and won 19-25.

4th and final set PU stayed in control leading by2-5 points most of the set and winning 25-20.

key notes:
- serve receive and passing in both MSU and UM matches was much better. Schermerhorn is really rounding back into form and Brown looks a
Lot more confident. Not sure if she is playing more because her confidence is up or her confidence is up because she is playing more. Either way, back row was not an issue this weekend.
- Chinn and Ellis had an outstanding match against UM. That is 3 in a row for Chinn. If our success is founded on passing and hitters other than Hudson, we are in a lot better shape now than 4 matches ago.
- Renner playing 100% and looks a lot more confident and aggressive. Connection with middles is still not quite there and is now the biggest opportunity for improvement.

Had the pleasure of congratulating the players after the match and Dave Shondell stopped and visited with us for several minutes. We got our own little Dig City podcast. If there is a more class act in D1 coaching, any sport, I would like to meet him/her.

pretty decent Purdue contingent at the match

Last edited:
Had the pleasure to go to my 2nd PU match in 3 days. Boilers actually came out lively and took the first set 25-20.

PU dominated the 2nd set 25-15.

3rd set was a bit back and forth but UM looked a lot better, had some miracle defensive plays and kept PU off balance and won 19-25.

4th and final set PU stayed in control leading by2-5 points most of the set and winning 25-20.

key notes:
- serve receive and passing in both MSU and UM matches was much better. Schermerhorn is really rounding back into form and Brown looks a
Lot more confident. Not sure if she is playing more because her confidence is up or her confidence is up because she is playing more. Either way, back row was not an issue this weekend.
- Chinn and Ellis had an outstanding match against UM. That is 3 in a row for Chinn. If our success is founded on passing and hitters other than Hudson, we are in a lot better shape now than 4 matches ago.
- Renner playing 100% and looks a lot more confident and aggressive. Connection with middles is still not quite there and is now the biggest opportunity for improvement.

Had the pleasure of congratulating the players after the match and Dave Shondell stopped and visited with us for several minutes. We got our own little Dig City podcast. If there is a more class act in D1 coaching, any sport, I would like to meet him/her.
Otec and Newton were both at the match. I think Otec is coaching at Eastern which is just a few miles from Ann Arbor.

Otec and Newton were both at the match. I think Otec is coaching at Eastern which is just a few miles from Ann Arbor.
Love to hear this! And they (and you) got to see a great match based on the summary you wrote above. Wish I could’ve listened to the broadcast but had other commitments this afternoon. Soon as I could check a score I did - what a nice piece of news, especially after yesterday’s FB game result. Purdue VB is rock solid!

Reactions: DocRon
What a great weekend for you. Yes, Jenna is assistant coach at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti. I assume Jayden was not with Newton. How did they look? I wish them well.

And how thoughtful that Dave came over to talk to you (pleural???). If he retires before I pass, I will miss him a lot. We may not win a lot of VB championships (one day before I die, please) but the person he is as a human being is more important to me.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
What a great weekend for you. Yes, Jenna is assistant coach at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti. I assume Jayden was not with Newton. How did they look? I wish them well.

And how thoughtful that Dave came over to talk to you (pleural???). If he retires before I pass, I will miss him a lot. We may not win a lot of VB championships (one day before I die, please) but the person he is as a human being is more important to me.
One of my friends was in a recent bike crash and had some pretty good injuries. UM was very accommodating and put her and her family behind PU bench. My wife and I went over to chat with her after the match when the team was coming out of the locker room and milling around.

my friends have 2 kids at UM and were all wearing UM garb. My wife and I had PU gear on. Dave greeted my friends just as warmly as he did us. It was a very fun conversation for a big PU and volleyball fan. This was the first time my friends have ever gone to a college vball match, were impressed with the size and athleticism and super impressed with Shondell.

Newton and Otec looked great, if they had wet hair you woulda thought they had played.

Love to hear this! And they (and you) got to see a great match based on the summary you wrote above. Wish I could’ve listened to the broadcast but had other commitments this afternoon. Soon as I could check a score I did - what a nice piece of news, especially after yesterday’s FB game result. Purdue VB is rock solid!
Dave was saying that UM has some big thumpers and that they are two evenly matched teams. If that is true, PU was great on Sunday because the outcome never really seemed in jeopardy. The crowd got into it a little bit in the 3rd set when UM had a couple of outstanding plays. It was a completely different energy for 5 minutes. I was glad we came out and took the lead in the 4th and (kinda) never looked back.

They do have some heavy hitters, we seemed to have hands in front of them most of the time and never let them really get rolling.

Dave was saying that UM has some big thumpers and that they are two evenly matched teams. If that is true, PU was great on Sunday because the outcome never really seemed in jeopardy. The crowd got into it a little bit in the 3rd set when UM had a couple of outstanding plays. It was a completely different energy for 5 minutes. I was glad we came out and took the lead in the 4th and (kinda) never looked back.

They do have some heavy hitters, we seemed to have hands in front of them most of the time and never let them really get rolling.
I am sure you were obnoxious winning fans - at both MSU and Mich. J/K.

we have very good assistant coaches as well.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT