ADVERTISEMENT

USC fires Clay Helton

USC has no excuse, especially now with NIL, to not be really good. They should have top 5 recruiting classes every year.
Like IU in basketball for much of the time that they have struggled...talent is not the issue...USC has a TON of talent, and, to your point, will continue to, but, again like IU, if you are constantly turning over the HC position and missing each time that you do, you end up where they are.

USC had Kiffin, Sarkisian, and Orgeron, yet, somehow ended up with Clay Helton...it is a job ripe for success, provided they can finally get the HC hire right.

USC has no excuse, especially now with NIL, to not be really good. They should have top 5 recruiting classes every year.
Once the NIL takes full hold you will see them rise like most other schools in high population areas. Expect to see quite a few players who have already established themselves as guys who are 4 stars in college (not just before college) and who seem to have no reason to leave their school, suddenly end up at places like USC.

Reactions: Tommaker
If PU beats ND I wonder of JB would be mentioned as a candidate? Someone posted that Urb would be a candidate especially with his problems in Jville.

If PU beats ND I wonder of JB would be mentioned as a candidate? Someone posted that Urb would be a candidate especially with his problems in Jville.
I don’t think any marquee blue blood would risk it on Jeff brohm until he at least puts out a nice full season. No knock on brohm. I’m more worried that we won’t hold on to lambert very long if this continues .. cause he seems like a pros pro.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Like IU in basketball for much of the time that they have struggled...talent is not the issue...USC has a TON of talent, and, to your point, will continue to, but, again like IU, if you are constantly turning over the HC position and missing each time that you do, you end up where they are.

USC had Kiffin, Sarkisian, and Orgeron, yet, somehow ended up with Clay Helton...it is a job ripe for success, provided they can finally get the HC hire right.
I'll never understand why Texas hired Steve Sarkisian...and why USC continued it's carousel of idiot hirings.

Reactions: DAG10
Jeff Brohm ain't getting hired by any blue blood until he shows he can win at the Power 5 level...
I've been shouted down for saying this previously but Brohm either can't or won't recruit Big Ten caliber offensive linemen. That comment includes this year's incoming class of recruits. We don't need to worry too much about Southern Cal coming in and hiring him.

I've been shouted down for saying this previously ...
I have never understood the point of writing this. You (and everyone else) will offer opinions. Others will disagree. If that's not something you're prepared to accept, the wise option would be to avoid posting an opinion.

... but Brohm either can't or won't recruit Big Ten caliber offensive linemen. That comment includes this year's incoming class of recruits. We don't need to worry too much about Southern Cal coming in and hiring him.
One, not sure about a "blue blood", but Jeff Brohm has a lot of appeal for programs looking for stability. Does he need to win to return to that "in-demand" coach? No doubt.

Two, Brohm has clearly gone after a number of "under-the-radar" OL. He's also gone after (and landed) OL with other P5 offers. Hartwig, Richards, Alstott-VanDeVanter, to name a few.

If you consider my response that you have been "shouted down", that's simply not the case. It's just a discussion.

I have never understood the point of writing this. You (and everyone else) will offer opinions. Others will disagree. If that's not something you're prepared to accept, the wise option would be to avoid posting an opinion.

One, not sure about a "blue blood", but Jeff Brohm has a lot of appeal for programs looking for stability. Does he need to win to return to that "in-demand" coach? No doubt.

Two, Brohm has clearly gone after a number of "under-the-radar" OL. He's also gone after (and landed) OL with other P5 offers. Hartwig, Richards, Alstott-VanDeVanter, to name a few.

If you consider my response that you have been "shouted down", that's simply not the case. It's just a discussion.
This potatoe head guy seems awfully familiar…

Reactions: Purdue85

Brohm will be a home run hire when he shows he can build and sustain a winning record at Purdue or another Power 5 program. To your point, he will bring stability to a program where an AD can depend on him to do things the right way. He's shown he's an ethical leader. Now all he has to do is win.

Potato...you gotta have thick skin on here. Give and get some crap once in awhile. For instance, I'm still positive on a young man down South (not naming him;)) and have been pounded mercilessly for it. I'm playing the long game on that one. If that young man turns into a player i.e. Zander Horvath type, I wouldn't be surprised. Right Purdue85...haha. Yes, I know he got 3 yards.
I do look at our RB roster and see 9 Total. Guessing 4 scholarship and several walk-ons. We now are at 3 scholarship players early in the season. Hope they stay healthy. Sorry, I digress.

Brohm won't be hired by any upper P5 program till he turns Purdue around for more than 1 year. The 2 bad seasons back to back will likely make most AD's pause for concern. Toss out COVID, but he'd still have a lot of explaining for 2019 and most don't want injuries excuse after he already had 2 prior seasons under his belt.

Brohm will be a home run hire when he shows he can build and sustain a winning record at Purdue or another Power 5 program. To your point, he will bring stability to a program where an AD can depend on him to do things the right way. He's shown he's an ethical leader. Now all he has to do is win.
?

Not sure how you leapt to "home run hire" with this discussion.

I get it... you've long been critical of the hire. Like it or not, he has brought stability. Have the results been there that many of the rest of us expected? Nope, and that's been discussed, analyzed and debated ad nauseum.

He has "won", and I expect he'll do more of it. If not, that's for Bobinski (et al) to continue to address.

Potato...you gotta have thick skin on here. Give and get some crap once in awhile. For instance, I'm still positive on a young man down South (not naming him;)) and have been pounded mercilessly for it. I'm playing the long game on that one. If that young man turns into a player i.e. Zander Horvath type, I wouldn't be surprised. Right Purdue85...haha. Yes, I know he got 3 yards.
I do look at our RB roster and see 9 Total. Guessing 4 scholarship and several walk-ons. We now are at 3 scholarship players early in the season. Hope they stay healthy. Sorry, I digress.
And you've deserved (and earned!) every keystroke of that "merciless pounding"... :cool:

yes, ol' tater just needs thicker skin. I've had my "go 'round" with a few, and it's never personal, and I also find we agree quite often. We just have differing opinions on some topics.

It's all good!

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
?

Not sure how you leapt to "home run hire" with this discussion.

I get it... you've long been critical of the hire. Like it or not, he has brought stability. Have the results been there that many of the rest of us expected? Nope, and that's been discussed, analyzed and debated ad nauseum.

He has "won", and I expect he'll do more of it. If not, that's for Bobinski (et al) to continue to address.
I was never critical of the hire. I liked the hire. What I don't like have been the results of wins and losses, which is the ultimate measure of success. And I've been critical of his ability to get Purdue to a sustained winning record. If he does, great. If he doesn't, we'll likely see a new coach. Pretty simple,

I leapt to home run hire because if he develops Purdue into a winning program by doing it the right way, he'll be a desirable hire for more historically successful programs.

my brother in Cali called me about this, not a big surprise

Going to be a mighty task to for the USC AD to get this one right.

-10 million to buy out Helton
-Possibly 10-20 million to buy out the new coach
-Then 25+ to hire the new coach.

And to appease the fans and boosters it has to be a name…so it could cost much more

Reactions: purduepat1969
Going to be a mighty task to for the USC AD to get this one right.

-10 million to buy out Helton
-Possibly 10-20 million to buy out the new coach
-Then 25+ to hire the new coach.

And to appease the fans and boosters it has to be a name…so it could cost much more
Whoever gave Clay Helton a contract that included a $10 million buyout should never work as an AD again.

Whoever gave Clay Helton a contract that included a $10 million buyout should never work as an AD again.
I remember a year or two ago, the hot rumor was they wanted psu's coach, don't think he'll leave though, of course Campbell is always in people's top 3 these days. Maybe Urban too since he's having trouble in the pro's.

Last edited:
.USC has a TON of talent, and, to your point, will continue to, but, again like IU, if you are constantly turning over the HC position and missing each time that you do, you end up where they are.
They do have plenty of talent, but their recruiting has fallen off big time since Carroll, and even since Kiffin’s time as head coach. They whiffed on like the entire top 20 California HS players a couple years ago.

Reactions: DAG10
USC AD Mike Bohn hired Luke Fickell at UC. I’m sure contact with LF’s representatives has already been established. The next guy will be Matt Campbell, who’s going to have to parachute out of Ames sooner rather than later now that the B12 is a knock off major conference. The issue for either of them is geography; do two Midwestern born and raised guys want to live and work in Southern California or somewhere much closer to their Ohio roots? LF has a large family, and they like living in Cincinnati, but he can win a national championship at USC. Campbell probably waiting to see what happens to Jim Harbaugh, as he could follow a long line of Ohio natives north to Ann Arbor.

looking at the numbers, he had a good first 2 seasons. Didn't he win the rose bowl? he had a losing season, and he had another winning season, but lost a bowl game. Wasn't he 5-0 last year in their shortened season, but lost in their PAC 12 championship? if he did that at purdue , he'd been given a lifetime contract. he has 1 bad game, and he's fired ??? that would never happen at purdue.

looking at the numbers, he had a good first 2 seasons. Didn't he win the rose bowl? he had a losing season, and he had another winning season, but lost a bowl game. Wasn't he 5-0 last year in their shortened season, but lost in their PAC 12 championship? if he did that at purdue , he'd been given a lifetime contract. he has 1 bad game, and he's fired ??? that would never happen at purdue.
Not sure why you continue to feel the need to trash Purdue. Purdue has no connection to Clay Helton.

Clay Helton's performance at USC has no bearing on any strawman you believe you can build to tear down Purdue.

There is ZERO conversation about Clay Helton that has any relevance whatsoever to the Purdue football program. Attempting to do so is simply moronic, as is the idea of a "lifetime contract". Who has one of those? Do you? Did Tiller? Does Brohm? Does Painter?

Aside from those details, your post was SPOT ON, Bigs.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Once the NIL takes full hold you will see them rise like most other schools in high population areas. Expect to see quite a few players who have already established themselves as guys who are 4 stars in college (not just before college) and who seem to have no reason to leave their school, suddenly end up at places like USC.
Interesting topic. How much of the pie can a college athlete get when there are 2 mlb teams, 2 nfl teams, 2 nba teams, nhl, and another huge college? Not too mention Hollywood.

Not sure why you continue to feel the need to trash Purdue. Purdue has no connection to Clay Helton.

Clay Helton's performance at USC has no bearing on any strawman you believe you can build to tear down Purdue.

There is ZERO conversation about Clay Helton that has any relevance whatsoever to the Purdue football program. Attempting to do so is simply moronic, as is the idea of a "lifetime contract". Who has one of those? Do you? Did Tiller? Does Brohm? Does Painter?

Aside from those details, your post was SPOT ON, Bigs.
if Tiller had won the rose bowl, we both know the type of contract extension he would have received. It would probably have been similar to what UW's Barry Alvarez received. While not lifetime in writing, it basically was.

When i look at any coach firing, i ask myself, is a new coach really going to make that much of a diference? Hope was said to be mediocre, and that was supposedly why he was fired. The rumor was he was fired after an embarasingly loss to Minnesota. It wasn't officially announced until the end of the season, but the rumors had already started. It was hoped hazell could do better. he didn't.

This guy at USC was 5-0 last year and USC played in the PAC 12 championship. Could somebody else have done any better? i doubt it. and now after an embarrassing loss to Stanford, he gets fired. Is anybody else going to magically turn their season around? I doubt it.

i look at harbaugh at michigan. if he doesn't beat OSU this year , will he leave or be fired ? Maybe. but if he does leave, will his replacement be any better and actually beat OSU next year? I doubt it.

Frankly, i can think of a lot better things to do with $10 million than use it to buy out a coach. Whoever is giving that money to the USC athletic department could have spent it creating jobs, or upgrading California infrastructure, or giving to hospitals or fixing potholes and pot heads. USC football doesn't need a new coach. The problem was not the coach. the problem was the AD who hired him. When i think of USC, I think of experienced and successful coaches. This guy was neither, yet he was paid as if he was.

I still recall Notre Dame hiring that high school coach. I don't blame the coach for their lack of success, i blame the AD that hired him. Much like i blame morgan a lot more for hazell's failures. Morgan supposedly had a verbal agreement with a different coach. But he waited too long, and that coach got a better deal and took it. I believe it was the guy at northern illinois who went to NC state. You can't believe everything you read at KHC. or can you?

if Tiller had won the rose bowl, we both know the type of contract extension he would have received. It would probably have been similar to what UW's Barry Alvarez received. While not lifetime in writing, it basically was.

When i look at any coach firing, i ask myself, is a new coach really going to make that much of a diference? Hope was said to be mediocre, and that was supposedly why he was fired. The rumor was he was fired after an embarasingly loss to Minnesota. It wasn't officially announced until the end of the season, but the rumors had already started. It was hoped hazell could do better. he didn't.

This guy at USC was 5-0 last year and USC played in the PAC 12 championship. Could somebody else have done any better? i doubt it. and now after an embarrassing loss to Stanford, he gets fired. Is anybody else going to magically turn their season around? I doubt it.

i look at harbaugh at michigan. if he doesn't beat OSU this year , will he leave or be fired ? Maybe. but if he does leave, will his replacement be any better and actually beat OSU next year? I doubt it.

Frankly, i can think of a lot better things to do with $10 million than use it to buy out a coach. Whoever is giving that money to the USC athletic department could have spent it creating jobs, or upgrading California infrastructure, or giving to hospitals or fixing potholes and pot heads. USC football doesn't need a new coach. The problem was not the coach. the problem was the AD who hired him. When i think of USC, I think of experienced and successful coaches. This guy was neither, yet he was paid as if he was.

I still recall Notre Dame hiring that high school coach. I don't blame the coach for their lack of success, i blame the AD that hired him. Much like i blame morgan a lot more for hazell's failures. Morgan supposedly had a verbal agreement with a different coach. But he waited too long, and that coach got a better deal and took it. I believe it was the guy at northern illinois who went to NC state. You can't believe everything you read at KHC. or can you?
No, Bigs, Tiller wasn't getting anything different than what he got.

Apparently memories are short, but university leadership was not writing blank checks and flooding the Athletic Department with cash for the coaching staffs. It was quite the opposite.

It's just not going to work for you to try to build up a straw man to criticize Purdue. Reality just doesn't agree with you.

As to the rest of your screed, I couldn't give a fat rat's @ss about USC, their coaching decisions or how they spend their millions. It's not my money, and it most certainly isn't yours.

As to what I read on these forums, the mere fact I have to correct you so often should be a very, VERY good indication to you that I do NOT believe everything I read here!

ADVERTISEMENT