ADVERTISEMENT

USA East Coast team with Aaron & Sasha.....

Yes, Sasha was one of our better 3 point shooters during the WUG . That is a reason I'm not buying the excuse he's rusty. I will accept the statement he had a bad game

Reactions: KisteK
Aaron drive & bucket
giphy.gif

Wheeler had a couple of drives and a putback:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wheeler is oozing with talent. Can legit play the 3 and at that size is a matchup nightmare. By conference season, he may be scary once he gets experience and starts putting it all together on both ends.

Has as much talent as any player in the nation, just needs to figure it out.

Wheeler is oozing with talent. Can legit play the 3 and at that size is a matchup nightmare. By conference season, he may be scary once he gets experience and starts putting it all together on both ends.

Has as much talent as any player in the nation, just needs to figure it out.

There is zero chance that he has as much talent as any player in the nation.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I'm of the opinion that if you cant contribute in your 2nd year at Purdue (either Sophomore year, or Redshirt Freshman), then we shouldn't be offering a scholarship. This is exactly the type of situation that was being discussed when talking about reasons Grady has had to play.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Assuming Sasha doesn’t play this year, what should Matt have done with it versus giving it to Sasha? If your answer is ‘recruit someone better’ that’s just silly as if he could have gotten someone who was a good fit and more talented he would have. You mix in some developmental players so that if others leave early you’re not left with a huge gap. If they don’t get major minutes until their junior year that’s a good sign, means that there are more talented players ahead of them.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Assuming Sasha doesn’t play this year, what should Matt have done with it versus giving it to Sasha? If your answer is ‘recruit someone better’ that’s just silly as if he could have gotten someone who was a good fit and more talented he would have. You mix in some developmental players so that if others leave early you’re not left with a huge gap. If they don’t get major minutes until their junior year that’s a good sign, means that there are more talented players ahead of them.
I'd rather have a grad transfer that will contribute for a year or 2, while only taking up a scholarship for a year or two, than a 5 year player who can only contribute in his 4th and 5th season. This goes back to recruiting needed to be better.

We only have 10 scholarship players this coming season. If players like Sasha, Williams, or Dow arent able to contribute at a high level from the beginning, then we only have 7 high level contributors. In that situation, we are in for a veeeerrry long season.

He has very natural talent advantages others cant attain. His raw talent package is special.

Versus other players at Purdue? Possibly. Versus the best players in the country? I hope you’re right but I haven’t seen anything to indicate that.

Addressing everyone or no one in this thread, wasn’t Sasha one of the better 3 point shooters for the team during the WUG?
Such a small sample it probably doesn’t matter, but here are the 3-point stats for some key players for all WUG games (including exhibitions):

Vince 21-37 (.568)
Cline 20-43 (.465)
Mathias 23-57 (.404)
Carsen 27-70 (.386)
PJ 20-54 (.370)
Sasha 11-34 (.324)
Wheeler 2-10 (.200)

He has very natural talent advantages others cant attain. His raw talent package is special.

Pump the breaks a bit. He averaged 4.5 points, 1/2 a rebound and 0 assists in the last 2 games of the tournament. About 15 min per game. He may turnout to be a decent player for PU, but come on.

Just to be clear some seem to think painter Has wasted a scholarship on a player bcuz his shooting in 2 games not good or bcuz he missed a few defensive assignments. Than another player kneeling bcuz he actually might be tired and he missed a few defensive assignments and he may not be shooting the ball as well while these 2 players haven’t played a game in over a year and it does take time to get your timing back and get your legs under you while trying to catch your breath bcuz these 2 players haven’t played in a meaningful basketball game in over a year and some are judging them basically thinking painter has wasted a scholarship on 1 player in particular bcuz he is 3 steps to slow ball handling is weak and both players are playing for the 1st time in a year with players they just met 3/4 days ago and this is how some view them over 2 games in Italy for gods sake. I saw the same thing with my son when he didn’t live up to some of you fans expectations so some of you tare them down unbelievable. Some probably still think my son isn’t that good and it really doesn’t matter bcuz none of them have to answer to no fans. Reading some of this opinions or comments is sad bcuz it only August and these kids been waiting a year just to finally play 5 on 5 with other guys besides their teammates and get back into basketball shape and work out the kinks of their game and when they not playing up to some of y’all expectations in August some persecute them for being human. Wish some of you go through their day to day grind maybe some of you would be a little more emphatic instead of jumping to negative conclusions of 2 players who probably just happy to be able to finally play and look how some fans view them crazy but kinda sad at the same time.

I totally agree, Treed, these comments are just ridiculous. These two players are just embarking on their college journey and already people on here are writing them off. Playing in a foreign country, under different coaches, and against teams that are better organized and prepared is certainly not the the scenario to evaluate anyone.

There are certain abilities and talents and also deficiencies that can be detected in a small sample by a trained eye. Players receive scholarships based on their performance at elite camps. Players are drafted based on their combine performance. Speed and jumping ability are talents that only require a small sample to measure. Each combine, camp and AAU tournament is a very small sample. Painter makes his recruiting decisions based on small samples.

The question should not be is the player good or bad based on a small sample, but rather, do the people making critical statements of a player possess that keen evaluation ability?

The Bucks drafted Tractor Traylor and Thon Maker based on their combine workouts and Wilson and VV based on their NCAA performance. All were small samples. Unfortunately, their paid scouts drew the wrong conclusions and should all be fired.

I'm a firm believer that there are many on this board that have the ability to judge a player on a small sample . They go to games, and watch films, and have played and coached. I also believe there are many on this board who are overly positive about every player on our team and have no real knowledge or ability to judge a player's talent, but they love to talk and argue and call people trolls.

As for being critical of players, almost every high school player has a ranking and scouting analysis that is critical and publically describes both their talents and their flaws. and people here go to those sites and read and believe their analysis without ever seeing the player. those three players going to Duke must be really good- they each have 5 stars. While people here on this board constantly say we should not judge a player or be critical of them, the reality is each player is being judged and analysed by some scout or coach in every single game they play. We see a lot of posters become very defensive on this board when certain players are berated. Do those same posters contact and complain to national scouts who post the identical statements on their public recruiting sites? or the radio announcer who berates a player for missing a clutch free throw or is a matador o n defense? Do parents of players contact recruiting sites and argue their son or daughter should be rated a 4/5 star instead of a 3 star? Do they complain to national recruiters about their player evaluations?

The reality is whether people like it or not, there are many other public sites and people that use a small sample to evaluate a high school and college player's talent. And they make their evaluations public. Do parents and people complain to those people? or do they just complain here when somebody on this board makes a similar comment.? my son went through similar evaluations based on a small sample of playing AAU and going to college camps. The evaluations by scouts and coaches were not glowing. He became an MVC All Conference track athlete instead of All Conference basketball player. Did I complain when coaches, scouts and parents berated my son's talents? No, I accepted their criticisms, because I could see the same flaws.

We have a tendency to forget, many of the posters here are actually coaches and scouts. They can see and analyze a player given a small sample. and they are used to providing an honest public appraisal. What they post here is probably also posted and accepted on 10-50 other public web sites. That's their job and what they do. Not every report is going to be glowing. And the players know this and accept it.

I cannot count the number of times my son came home and complained about how the refs were blind and his coach was clueless. It's ironic that in one year, he will become one of those people he once despised and complained about.

Each of us has our own unique talents. And yes, there are certain people among us on this board that possess that keen ability to detect a player's flaws based on a small sample. What's not being said is perhaps that person who is negative towards a player is not basing that negativism based on only two games. That person is probably basing that opinion over watching the payer several years, watching practices, and comparing current performances with past ones to see if the player has improved. or is comparing the player to other player's performances.

Wilt Chamberlain was not a great free throw shooter, and neither was Shaq and many other big men. and you didn't need a large sample of games to draw that conclusion. it was obvious. What I see some posters have is with others here who state the obvious because we may hurt the player's feelings. To that person, I say I doubt anything said here hasn't been said directly to the player by somebody 100,000 times before.

more to my real point, should we not be critical publically of a player's performance? Should we only post positive and glowing remarks? and give participation trophies? Even in cub scouts, there are winners and losers in the pinewood derby. if you praise everything a child does, he does not learn or elevate his potential. you must mix in the good with the bad. Look at Sears and Toys R US. maybe if only the public had offered more criticism earlier, they could have fixed their flaws.

There are certain abilities and talents and also deficiencies that can be detected in a small sample by a trained eye. Players receive scholarships based on their performance at elite camps. Players are drafted based on their combine performance. Speed and jumping ability are talents that only require a small sample to measure. Each combine, camp and AAU tournament is a very small sample. Painter makes his recruiting decisions based on small samples.

The question should not be is the player good or bad based on a small sample, but rather, do the people making critical statements of a player possess that keen evaluation ability?

The Bucks drafted Tractor Traylor and Thon Maker based on their combine workouts and Wilson and VV based on their NCAA performance. All were small samples. Unfortunately, their paid scouts drew the wrong conclusions and should all be fired.

I'm a firm believer that there are many on this board that have the ability to judge a player on a small sample . They go to games, and watch films, and have played and coached. I also believe there are many on this board who are overly positive about every player on our team and have no real knowledge or ability to judge a player's talent, but they love to talk and argue and call people trolls.

As for being critical of players, almost every high school player has a ranking and scouting analysis that is critical and publically describes both their talents and their flaws. and people here go to those sites and read and believe their analysis without ever seeing the player. those three players going to Duke must be really good- they each have 5 stars. While people here on this board constantly say we should not judge a player or be critical of them, the reality is each player is being judged and analysed by some scout or coach in every single game they play. We see a lot of posters become very defensive on this board when certain players are berated. Do those same posters contact and complain to national scouts who post the identical statements on their public recruiting sites? or the radio announcer who berates a player for missing a clutch free throw or is a matador o n defense? Do parents of players contact recruiting sites and argue their son or daughter should be rated a 4/5 star instead of a 3 star? Do they complain to national recruiters about their player evaluations?

The reality is whether people like it or not, there are many other public sites and people that use a small sample to evaluate a high school and college player's talent. And they make their evaluations public. Do parents and people complain to those people? or do they just complain here when somebody on this board makes a similar comment.? my son went through similar evaluations based on a small sample of playing AAU and going to college camps. The evaluations by scouts and coaches were not glowing. He became an MVC All Conference track athlete instead of All Conference basketball player. Did I complain when coaches, scouts and parents berated my son's talents? No, I accepted their criticisms, because I could see the same flaws.

We have a tendency to forget, many of the posters here are actually coaches and scouts. They can see and analyze a player given a small sample. and they are used to providing an honest public appraisal. What they post here is probably also posted and accepted on 10-50 other public web sites. That's their job and what they do. Not every report is going to be glowing. And the players know this and accept it.

I cannot count the number of times my son came home and complained about how the refs were blind and his coach was clueless. It's ironic that in one year, he will become one of those people he once despised and complained about.

Each of us has our own unique talents. And yes, there are certain people among us on this board that possess that keen ability to detect a player's flaws based on a small sample. What's not being said is perhaps that person who is negative towards a player is not basing that negativism based on only two games. That person is probably basing that opinion over watching the payer several years, watching practices, and comparing current performances with past ones to see if the player has improved. or is comparing the player to other player's performances.

Wilt Chamberlain was not a great free throw shooter, and neither was Shaq and many other big men. and you didn't need a large sample of games to draw that conclusion. it was obvious. What I see some posters have is with others here who state the obvious because we may hurt the player's feelings. To that person, I say I doubt anything said here hasn't been said directly to the player by somebody 100,000 times before.

more to my real point, should we not be critical publically of a player's performance? Should we only post positive and glowing remarks? and give participation trophies? Even in cub scouts, there are winners and losers in the pinewood derby. if you praise everything a child does, he does not learn or elevate his potential. you must mix in the good with the bad. Look at Sears and Toys R US. maybe if only the public had offered more criticism earlier, they could have fixed their flaws.
Critiquing a player in certain attributes can be accurate. However, every single player on every single team is a damn good player when compared to the population. Also, these players for the love of the game and competition provided pay a price many would not, and so discussing a player’s strengths or shortcomings might be fair, but predicting a player’s value today or in the future may not. Not every player is going to get a lot of minutes, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t value in that player that gets in the final minute of a blowout.

When we see rankings, they are primarily offensive judgements weighted heavily with scoring and athleticism for most…with pg’s getting noticed for creating for others. Other things that are basketball importance may be missed. That said...there is a reasonable positive correlation with star power and player effectiveness between the lines. In the previous years I think that star power was not as accurate as today…even though there are errors today. The reason is due to the similarity of the game due to coaching being removed due to the shot clock. Since there is less time…there are less approaches (less differences in team styles) and the individual becomes a bit more important than years ago due to the clock IMO

Critiquing a player in certain attributes can be accurate. However, every single player on every single team is a damn good player when compared to the population. Also, these players for the love of the game and competition provided pay a price many would not, and so discussing a player’s strengths or shortcomings might be fair, but predicting a player’s value today or in the future may not. Not every player is going to get a lot of minutes, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t value in that player that gets in the final minute of a blowout.

When we see rankings, they are primarily offensive judgements weighted heavily with scoring and athleticism for most…with pg’s getting noticed for creating for others. Other things that are basketball importance may be missed. That said...there is a reasonable positive correlation with star power and player effectiveness between the lines. In the previous years I think that star power was not as accurate as today…even though there are errors today. The reason is due to the similarity of the game due to coaching being removed due to the shot clock. Since there is less time…there are less approaches (less differences in team styles) and the individual becomes a bit more important than years ago due to the clock IMO

I can agree with your assessment. I truly believe evaluations made today are a lot more accurate than in the past. But I also believe there are posters on this board who are capable of making those type of evaluations. I do not claim to be one of those people. But I believe they do exist. I also believe, on the other hand, we have many apologists on this board.

We all love to read evaluations of players, except when they are negative and about somebody we know.

Back to the topic. SS looks to have had a better day yesterday. 11 pts with 20 min of playing time. I did see highlights of a couple of three's he hit and they looked good, I guess they all do when they go in. To other comments made above I am in the camp of being 100% behind any Purdue BB player until I am proven wrong. I don't mind constructive criticism, but there is just no need to harp on short comings. Most freshman have a lot to work on when they get to a P5 program. I would rather wait until later into their career to decide weather they lived up to my expectation. Even then, I would probably not verbalize it on a message board.

Back to the topic. SS looks to have had a better day yesterday. 11 pts with 20 min of playing time. I did see highlights of a couple of three's he hit and they looked good, I guess they all do when they go in. To other comments made above I am in the camp of being 100% behind any Purdue BB player until I am proven wrong. I don't mind constructive criticism, but there is just no need to harp on short comings. Most freshman have a lot to work on when they get to a P5 program. I would rather wait until later into their career to decide weather they lived up to my expectation. Even then, I would probably not verbalize it on a message board.
He had 9 points, but he was 3/10 from the field and 2/8 from the 3pt line.

(I just give you high marks for (apparently) reading all that!)

Reactions: tjreese
He had 9 points, but he was 3/10 from the field and 2/8 from the 3pt line.
Must have miss read the box score sent out by USA East. My main point is that I will reserve judgment until I see him playing in an offence he knows and not shooting with ball that has a different feel to what he is used to. last year Ryan and Dakota both hated that ball and their shooting percentages were way down when trying to use it. It turned out they did not use it in the WUG and they ended up shooting fine.

Must have miss read the box score sent out by USA East. My main point is that I will reserve judgment until I see him playing in an offence he knows and not shooting with ball that has a different feel to what he is used to. last year Ryan and Dakota both hated that ball and their shooting percentages were way down when trying to use it. It turned out they did not use it in the WUG and they ended up shooting fine.
I've stated all along that he will be a capable shooter. Based on watching all 3 games in this tournament, he has a very long way to go defensively. I think this will keep him from being an effective player for us this season.

Since we have 3 unused scholarships, we need everyone else to be capable of contributing. At this point, we have at least 3 players (Sasha, Williams, and Dow) that have major question marks surrounding their ability to contribute now (Sasha = Defense, Williams = Weight, Dow = Basketball skill at this level).

That's extremely concerning given that of the other 7 players, 1 is a grad transfer that didn't even practice with a team last season, 1 is a redshirt freshman that we haven't seen yet, and 1 is a true freshman that should be able to get buckets, but is extremely skinny.

In today's college basketball where a player may only play college basketball 1 year, I don't see the difference in criticizing a freshmen verses a senior. to be honest, if the NBA came calling, their loyalty to their school is not as great as fans believe it to be.

And since both Wheeler and Sasha played last year in the WUG and practiced all year with the team, and are both academically sophomores, should we still call them and treat them as if they are new arrival freshmen?

I've stated all along that he will be a capable shooter. Based on watching all 3 games in this tournament, he has a very long way to go defensively. I think this will keep him from being an effective player for us this season.

Since we have 3 unused scholarships, we need everyone else to be capable of contributing. At this point, we have at least 3 players (Sasha, Williams, and Dow) that have major question marks surrounding their ability to contribute now (Sasha = Defense, Williams = Weight, Dow = Basketball skill at this level).

That's extremely concerning given that of the other 7 players, 1 is a grad transfer that didn't even practice with a team last season, 1 is a redshirt freshman that we haven't seen yet, and 1 is a true freshman that should be able to get buckets, but is extremely skinny.
Your way more worried than I am. My trust is in Painter and he makes a lot of money at his craft. If Dakota can become a better than average defender so can SS, he is a better athlete.

Your way more worried than I am. My trust is in Painter and he makes a lot of money at his craft. If Dakota can become a better than average defender so can SS, he is a better athlete.

No kidding. Sasha is already being thrown under the bus...….in August. Dow came in as a 4 star center according to 247, also the sixth best center. 4 star recruit by ESPN at number 87 as well. All this with limited time actually playing the game itself. And I thought it was reported that Williams has lost much of the weight already...……..and this kid was very highly thought of on this board, at one time that is...…….SMH
There are question marks surrounding every player at this point......except for Carson perhaps. Time will tell, but I ain't throwing in the towel yet.
Get on board the train, or stay off the f*cking tracks.

No kidding. Sasha is already being thrown under the bus...….in August. Dow came in as a 4 star center according to 247, also the sixth best center. 4 star recruit by ESPN at number 87 as well. All this with limited time actually playing the game itself. And I thought it was reported that Williams has lost much of the weight already...……..and this kid was very highly thought of on this board, at one time that is...…….SMH
There are question marks surrounding every player at this point......except for Carson perhaps. Time will tell, but I ain't throwing in the towel yet.
Get on board the train, or stay off the f*cking tracks.
Have you watched any of the games Sasha and Wheeler are playing in? If not, how can you comment on it?

Dow is a 3* by 247 and ranked 170th. It has been said by way more than just me that he may need a year.

Where did you see it reported William's lost most of that weight? Can you link it? The last thing I saw reported was that he got to campus around 290-300.

The point was that all 3 of those guys have had speculation by more than just me on this board that they may not be ready to contribute this year. We cant afford to have even 1 of them not be able to contribute since we have 3 scholarships not in use.

Have you watched any of the games Sasha and Wheeler are playing in? If not, how can you comment on it?

Dow is a 3* by 247 and ranked 170th. It has been said by way more than just me that he may need a year.

Where did you see it reported William's lost most of that weight? Can you link it? The last thing I saw reported was that he got to campus around 290-300.

The point was that all 3 of those guys have had speculation by more than just me on this board that they may not be ready to contribute this year. We cant afford to have even 1 of them not be able to contribute since we have 3 scholarships not in use.

It's August...….I'm still going to remain optimistic about Sasha. Not sure where it was said, but I thought it was reported that Williams was hitting it hard and was losing his weight. Perhaps I misread it. But I did give Biggie a chance.
We must be reading different things about Dow...…..but if you want to read his official PU bio...…..here you go buddy...….
https://purduesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7471

Now please, stop trolling...……..

It's August...….I'm still going to remain optimistic about Sasha. Not sure where it was said, but I thought it was reported that Williams was hitting it hard and was losing his weight. Perhaps I misread it. But I did give Biggie a chance.
We must be reading different things about Dow...…..but if you want to read his official PU bio...…..here you go buddy...….
https://purduesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7471

Now please, stop trolling...……..
It's not trolling when I'm giving facts. Purdue's bio on Dow is inaccurate.

https://247sports.com/player/emmanuel-dowuona-94136

According to Haarms 3 days ago, Williams is 6'9" 300 lbs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jconline.com/amp/894532002

I was very optimistic about Sasha, but then I watched him play 3 games. He isn't ready yet. I'm not even talking about shooting, because I'm sure he is fine there.

Pro tip: Next time you want to call someone a troll, make sure they are the ones with the misinformation first.

Saw Tre at the alumni game. Still needs to lose some weight, but don't think he is in the 290/300 area. Carries a lot of weight in his thighs it appears. I doubt the record will be the result of players not being ready as much as playing stupid or not. This team will NOT have an automatic 2 pts inside like the last couple of years and will no doubt not be as deadly behind the arc as the last few years. However, they should be able to handle pressure, play some D, board some and grow. They need to gets some wins early as they adjust. I'm not worried about these players being over their heads in ability as much as if they are ready for the mental war...

It's not trolling when I'm giving facts. Purdue's bio on Dow is inaccurate.

https://247sports.com/player/emmanuel-dowuona-94136

According to Haarms 3 days ago, Williams is 6'9" 300 lbs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jconline.com/amp/894532002

I was very optimistic about Sasha, but then I watched him play 3 games. He isn't ready yet. I'm not even talking about shooting, because I'm sure he is fine there.

Pro tip: Next time you want to call someone a troll, make sure they are the ones with the misinformation first.

Here's another...…….maybe you'll like this one better. It even mentions Williams. Troll.
https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/9...4-star-center-emmanuel-dowuona-commits-purdue

Dude... that's an article from when he committed... not where he finished his career. I dont get how you dont know how this works. Unless, ironically, you are trolling. Troll.
Dude, he couldn't even finish the year out......smh
He was averaging 19pts 14rebs and 4blocks a game before he sat out...……..and you think he got worse? Troll on.

You're both right. Dow is a 247 four star but a composite 3-star.
And PU Pit Bull stated that Tre is losing the weight and Haarms confirmed it in the same statement that claimed that he is 300 lbs. Ok?

We have our 10 plus Grady. That's it. We don't have anybody else coming in.
We had 2 bigs that CMP thought would be here that aren't. Deal with it.
I like our 11. Feel free to whine about all season. There are a few that do it every season.

I'm only mildly interested in what's going on in basketball today because we have a football team to follow again. Right now I'm enjoying that ride. About halfway thru our successful football season, I'll have to start concentrating on both again. It's a good problem to have.

Dude, he couldn't even finish the year out......smh
He was averaging 19pts 14rebs and 4blocks a game before he sat out...……..and you think he got worse? Troll on.
Maybe you aren't aware how rankings work. It isn't ranked based on who has the best stats. Wasn't William's averaging like 25 pts/25 rebs or something crazy like that?

Either way, the argument wasn't that Dow was bad. It was that he isn't ranked as a 247 4*. See ya douche.

You're both right. Dow is a 247 four star but a composite 3-star.
And PU Pit Bull stated that Tre is losing the weight and Haarms confirmed it in the same statement that claimed that he is 300 lbs. Ok?

We have our 10 plus Grady. That's it. We don't have anybody else coming in.
We had 2 bigs that CMP thought would be here that aren't. Deal with it.
I like our 11. Feel free to whine about all season. There are a few that do it every season.

I'm only mildly interested in what's going on in basketball today because we have a football team to follow again. Right now I'm enjoying that ride. About halfway thru our successful football season, I'll have to start concentrating on both again. It's a good problem to have.
Dow is currently ranked 201st 3* by the 247 site. It's directly under his composite ranking in the link I sent.

Pit claimed William's had lost MOST of his excess weight. If he is 6'9" 300 lbs, then that isn't accurate either.

Both players might be good this coming season. I haven't seen either of them play, so I don't know. I have seen Sasha play.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT