ADVERTISEMENT

USA East Coast team with Aaron & Sasha.....

JohnHoosierr agrees with me and I thought Stefanovic was a reach when the news first came of Painter offering him. National Championship teams don't waste scholarships. They all have at least 8 players worthy of their scholarship.

Jumping-the-Gun.png

Reactions: Purdue85 and Roeder
He didn't shoot well in the Indiana All Star games or in the exhibition games this past season, either. So it's more than just these games in Italy. I don't like when Painter reaches with an offer (ex: Grant Weatherford) and so far, Stefanovic looks the part of another reach.
Just to be clear some seem to think painter Has wasted a scholarship on a player bcuz his shooting in 2 games not good or bcuz he missed a few defensive assignments. Than another player kneeling bcuz he actually might be tired and he missed a few defensive assignments and he may not be shooting the ball as well while these 2 players haven’t played a game in over a year and it does take time to get your timing back and get your legs under you while trying to catch your breath bcuz these 2 players haven’t played in a meaningful basketball game in over a year and some are judging them basically thinking painter has wasted a scholarship on 1 player in particular bcuz he is 3 steps to slow ball handling is weak and both players are playing for the 1st time in a year with players they just met 3/4 days ago and this is how some view them over 2 games in Italy for gods sake. I saw the same thing with my son when he didn’t live up to some of you fans expectations so some of you tare them down unbelievable. Some probably still think my son isn’t that good and it really doesn’t matter bcuz none of them have to answer to no fans. Reading some of this opinions or comments is sad bcuz it only August and these kids been waiting a year just to finally play 5 on 5 with other guys besides their teammates and get back into basketball shape and work out the kinks of their game and when they not playing up to some of y’all expectations in August some persecute them for being human. Wish some of you go through their day to day grind maybe some of you would be a little more emphatic instead of jumping to negative conclusions of 2 players who probably just happy to be able to finally play and look how some fans view them crazy but kinda sad at the same time.

Just to be clear some seem to think painter Has wasted a scholarship on a player bcuz his shooting in 2 games not good or bcuz he missed a few defensive assignments. Than another player kneeling bcuz he actually might be tired and he missed a few defensive assignments and he may not be shooting the ball as well while these 2 players haven’t played a game in over a year and it does take time to get your timing back and get your legs under you while trying to catch your breath bcuz these 2 players haven’t played in a meaningful basketball game in over a year and some are judging them basically thinking painter has wasted a scholarship on 1 player in particular bcuz he is 3 steps to slow ball handling is weak and both players are playing for the 1st time in a year with players they just met 3/4 days ago and this is how some view them over 2 games in Italy for gods sake. I saw the same thing with my son when he didn’t live up to some of you fans expectations so some of you tare them down unbelievable. Some probably still think my son isn’t that good and it really doesn’t matter bcuz none of them have to answer to no fans. Reading some of this opinions or comments is sad bcuz it only August and these kids been waiting a year just to finally play 5 on 5 with other guys besides their teammates and get back into basketball shape and work out the kinks of their game and when they not playing up to some of y’all expectations in August some persecute them for being human. Wish some of you go through their day to day grind maybe some of you would be a little more emphatic instead of jumping to negative conclusions of 2 players who probably just happy to be able to finally play and look how some fans view them crazy but kinda sad at the same time.

Sad to say that's the way this board is and always has been. And many other sports forums are a lot more critical, emotional and heated than the posts you have read here and the discussions you have engaged in. It's funny that KHC is supposedly a lot worse and that's a pay board. So people basically pay to complain and badmouthing players,teams and coaches.

I don't see any changes coming anytime soon other than getting worse.

As for meaningful games, as a parent of a nonscholarship basketball player, I thought every game my son played in was a meaningful game. I don't understand fans who blow off games and say their bad performance doesn't matter because it was a meaningless game. I'm the guy who thought the world games and Atlantis tournament were meaningful as they would have helped our preseason rating and recruiting against the elite schools for elite players. To me, every game is meaningful.

And it's been said many times that many of these posters are actually experts, coaches and former players. They notice things others don't . And typically their judgements include more than just a small sample. Both Sasha and Wheeler played in the World games last year. I believe a skilled eye can draw comparisons on their performance.

I'm not a huge fan of any poster on the board. I don't hate anybody either. I also haven't placed anybody on ignore. I've gained a lot of insight from this board and found some people like my posts. Not many, but a few.

Reactions: nagemj02
By previous year's standards, this forum was very tame last year. Winning 30 games silenced the critics. If this year's team gets off to a slow start or loses 10+ games, you will see the critics coming out in droves and yes this board will become very ugly - a lot more uglier than it was last year. You are all so warned !

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
By previous year's standards, this forum was very tame last year. Winning 30 games silenced the critics. If this year's team gets off to a slow start or loses 10+ games, you will see the critics coming out in droves and yes this board will become very ugly - a lot more uglier than it was last year. You are all so warned !
I’m totally aware of the what some on year will say when things not gonna go the way fans think they should I’m aware there will be done on hear DOG my son and say some mean and unkind things about my son I’ve seen it happen already but I no it will be more if my son has a bad game turn the ball over 5 times in a game than will say they we miss P.J. I no how cruel some of these fans will be when the team loose a game and suddenly I see some saying we miss the 4 seniors i see all that happening and I say I wish some of you fans switch positions with a player and listen to the criticism some of them will hear from you fans and see how you would handle it probably not well I’m sure. I’m aware of what is coming and I’ll be prepared to do what I do. Don’t have to warn me been through it already still do but as I always say none of you no my son like I no him and I no the amount of work my son puts in his game to get better as well as the other players. How would some of you as fans feel if someone said mean and cruel things about your kids would not like it we don’t either but as a parent I’m well aware of what comes with being in the public eye as some of these athletes are that’s the nature of being an athlete.

M51 has similar commentary about SS, so it's not just me. Also, Alstork was/is better than Eifert.
Alstork sucked. Dude was A LOSER. You don’t attend 3 colleges in 4 years if you are good.

Tell me how he helped Illinois?

Did they make the tourney?

Did he help them win any game that mattered?

Reactions: pboiler18
I said he's better than Eifert and he is. None of your questions have anything to do with that. I'm not going to look up his stats to prove you wrong.

BTW, every game matters.

I said he's better than Eifert and he is. None of your questions have anything to do with that. I'm not going to look up his stats to prove you wrong.
Not going to look up his stats because that proves the point he wasn’t any good.

Grady helped us beat Marquette and Alstork did what exactly for Illinois ? I mean he was great watching Carsen dropping 40 on them.

He didn't shoot well in the Indiana All Star games or in the exhibition games this past season, either. So it's more than just these games in Italy. I don't like when Painter reaches with an offer (ex: Grant Weatherford) and so far, Stefanovic looks the part of another reach.

This is incredibly ignorant. You made a stupid post, just own it.

This is why im not a huge fan of red shirts. We shouldn't even be recruiting players that aren't ready to contribute. And it keeps the lesser players around for an extra year when the scholarship potentially could have went to a superior player. Obviously it's still early and his time here is far from being decided. But those stats are concerning and i personally will not be expecting much from Sasha this year.

Do you seriously think he can’t shoot? This shows a high level of ignorance of the game.

Agree, those posts are incredibly ignorant and scream of ‘fans’ who don’t really know the game.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
No, I didn't. He hasn't impressed in any game he's played in so far.

Choice Beef, Alstork averaged 5.8 PPG for Illinois, which is 3 or 4 more points than Eifert did and more than Cline, Haarms, and Eastern did last season.
And tell me how that helped his team get to the next level.

Thanks for playing.

It's not any less than what Eifert and (likely) Stefanovic will contribute for Purdue, so what's your point? He was a contributor for Illinois.

Guys - Gelon from IU and Stefanovic were hs teammates and pretty similar players.

It’s very very rare when a kid ranked in the mid-300’s becomes a B1G rotation player on a winning team. PJ Thompson was a big outlier by making such a big contribution at a similar ranking.

There’s plenty of talent at PU, but I believe in realistic expectations as to which players are talented enough to be significant contributors.

Reactions: KisteK and nagemj02
And so it begins..,,, And what better way? An argument about Grady verses Alstork . Two players this thread wasn't even supposed to be about.

Gotta luv it !

Last edited:
Reactions: OldNavyBoiler
Guys - Gelon from IU and Stefanovic were hs teammates and pretty similar players.

It’s very very rare when a kid ranked in the mid-300’s becomes a B1G rotation player.

There’s plenty of talent at PU, but I believe in realistic expectations as to which players are talented enough to be significant contributors.

Exactly, I think of Gelon as a valid comparison to Stefanovic. Didn't he transfer from IU?

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Exactly, I think of Gelon as a valid comparison to Stefanovic. Didn't he transfer from IU?

Yup; and then he washed out at State Fair Community college in Missouri.

He could shoot: When he was wide open. In high school.

Knew we were screwed with Gelon when he could barely get any run in the Indiana hs all star games after his senior year.

I’m totally aware of the what some on year will say when things not gonna go the way fans think they should I’m aware there will be done on hear DOG my son and say some mean and unkind things about my son I’ve seen it happen already but I no it will be more if my son has a bad game turn the ball over 5 times in a game than will say they we miss P.J. I no how cruel some of these fans will be when the team loose a game and suddenly I see some saying we miss the 4 seniors i see all that happening and I say I wish some of you fans switch positions with a player and listen to the criticism some of them will hear from you fans and see how you would handle it probably not well I’m sure. I’m aware of what is coming and I’ll be prepared to do what I do. Don’t have to warn me been through it already still do but as I always say none of you no my son like I no him and I no the amount of work my son puts in his game to get better as well as the other players. How would some of you as fans feel if someone said mean and cruel things about your kids would not like it we don’t either but as a parent I’m well aware of what comes with being in the public eye as some of these athletes are that’s the nature of being an athlete.

With all due respect ma’am, your schtick is getting old. I’ve read this site pretty consistently for several months now and have yet to see one person say anything cruel or anything that attacks your son on a personal level. Suggesting that your son needs to work on his jump shot or improving his FT% or become a more consistent ball handler or saying he’s not ready for the NBA is not cruel and in no way attacks or demeans his character. I’m all for people policing one another on these boards any time a poster does cross that line and takes it to a personal level with a player or coach, but offering constructive criticism in no way, shape, or form crosses that line. You are inherently biased for obvious reasons, but each and every time you react it devalues the intent of this board. This board is a place for Purdue fans and anyone else with a Rivals account who wants to express their opinions and converse with others who have contrarian views.

I have zero doubt your son is a fine and intelligent young man who is working his butt off to become a better player, but nobody is out to get your son by critiquing him. You have to understand that everyone else on here doesn’t have a dog in the fight like you. I agree 100% with you that I would likely react the same way you do if I had child who was in your sons shoes, it’s part of being a parent. That’s why I would never read a forum like this because as a biased parent I couldn’t read anything objectively.

This isn’t a call for you to stop posting, as I actuallly do appreciate a lot of your insight to what’s happening with the team. It’s just a friendly reminder that the large majority of the people aren’t out to get your son when they critique him or offer constructive criticism. If I ever see a poster cross that line and personally attack your son I’ll be right there with you calling him out.

Sasha is a better player than Gelon. That being said, I don’t ever envision Sasha being a B10 starter. A couple summers ago my kid brother who lives in Indy helped coach and run some practices for the 6th grade Eric Gordon’s EG10 AAU team. Sasha played on the high school team alongside Romeo Langford and got to see him play close and up front a lot. Categorized him as a solid player who had underrated athleticism with a small upside. Was very surprised Purdue offered but not surprised he committed as he has always been a big Boiler fan. My brother has long suspected he’d be transfer bait after a year or two, but with him redshirting this last year he loses a year of eligibility if does decide to transfer before he graduates.

That all being said, not fair to judge a kid off 2 games on a team with zero chemistry. That isn’t fair. Disagree that Sasha is a bad shooter, he’s not by percentage, but think he will struggle to get off shots against this level of competition.

Used to be Coach Painter now it's just Painter huh?

With all due respect ma’am, your schtick is getting old. I’ve read this site pretty consistently for several months now and have yet to see one person say anything cruel or anything that attacks your son on a personal level. Suggesting that your son needs to work on his jump shot or improving his FT% or become a more consistent ball handler or saying he’s not ready for the NBA is not cruel and in no way attacks or demeans his character. I’m all for people policing one another on these boards any time a poster does cross that line and takes it to a personal level with a player or coach, but offering constructive criticism in no way, shape, or form crosses that line. You are inherently biased for obvious reasons, but each and every time you react it devalues the intent of this board. This board is a place for Purdue fans and anyone else with a Rivals account who wants to express their opinions and converse with others who have contrarian views.

I have zero doubt your son is a fine and intelligent young man who is working his butt off to become a better player, but nobody is out to get your son by critiquing him. You have to understand that everyone else on here doesn’t have a dog in the fight like you. I agree 100% with you that I would likely react the same way you do if I had child who was in your sons shoes, it’s part of being a parent. That’s why I would never read a forum like this because as a biased parent I couldn’t read anything objectively.

This isn’t a call for you to stop posting, as I actuallly do appreciate a lot of your insight to what’s happening with the team. It’s just a friendly reminder that the large majority of the people aren’t out to get your son when they critique him or offer constructive criticism. If I ever see a poster cross that line and personally attack your son I’ll be right there with you calling him out.
. Sir listen last season there were some on this board who talked about my son in a negative way on a few occasions. I’m not saying he’s being attacked personally and I understand some have their opinions which is welcomed but I can assure you when season starts and he has a bad game and he very well may now and than you will see the sharks come out than maybe you will understand why I’m on the defense. I get your point however

I love the Kid because he is the type of player that will fill a need at Purdue.....smart, knows the game, and will play with the tools he has and be a positive for the Boilers. No he is not a 5 Star, so what, he will develop over the next 4 years and be a good player. Purdue wins with good players that run the system. Kramer, Smith, DM, Cline.....I seen all of these have bad games.
Remember, Sasha has not played in a game in about 1.5 years.....give him some time to get the rust off and feel comfortable.

For what it is worth, I watched the warm ups before the game and at halftime. Know one came close to makeing as many shots from beyond the three line as Sasha did. The shots he took in the game were all long, back of the iron and bounced straight up. I am 100% making excuses here, but it’s not like he was missing by much. He will be fine.

For what it is worth, I watched the warm ups before the game and at halftime. Know one came close to makeing as many shots from beyond the three line as Sasha did. The shots he took in the game were all long, back of the iron and bounced straight up. I am 100% making excuses here, but it’s not like he was missing by much. He will be fine.
Agreed, it does look like his shooting stroke will be fine. The defense is a bigger concern IMO.

Agreed, it does look like his shooting stroke will be fine. The defense is a bigger concern IMO.
It tough to tell. At times he stayed with his man pretty well. The problem the rest of the team played little to no D and that can make one individual look pretty bad. As an example I watched wherler trying to guard the line and the high post all on his own. Of course he is going to get caught out of position. I am pretty sure there were five guys out there.

Reactions: tjreese
not in response to anyone...just general comments...

Here is the thing...I think most of us think Sasha is a bit more athletic than Ryan Cline. I also think most of us were in tune with Ryan's inability to contain the dribble his first two years. However, towards the latter part of his sophomore year and last year Ryan improved immensely on his away from the ball defense and quite frankly was a very serviceable player on D away from the ball. When talking about D, it is important to distinguish between on the ball D and away from the ball D. As I've written many times on the ball requires more athleticism and off the ball...more smarts. What we don't know is whether there are any rules on D with the international team due to the expediency preparing right away, what defensive backgrounds the other players have. Seeing individual D on the ball that may show slowness isn't necessarily a surprise...Sasha is not super quick, but Purdue puts a LOT of emphasis on "TEAM" defense and that will help him with many teams...Michigan possibly being an exception.

A player shooting too hard can be a lot of things...things as simple as being too jacked up and in a hurry to do those things you have excelled at in the past, but now a bit more in a hurry...many times due to less chemistry on O, new players...many things. It really is too early to pass any judgement on a player's ability to contribute to the "TEAM" and not everyone can get minutes in all years. Could you imagine a disgruntled player a bit out of rotation, perhaps not as good as he thinks, not getting playing time? Sasha wanted to be a Boiler and he may or may not contribute a lot right away, but he will contribute and fill some needs the team needs. I'm not in a panic mode for Purdue based upon a couple of international games...a lot of days left before the official season

not in response to anyone...just general comments...

Here is the thing...I think most of us think Sasha is a bit more athletic than Ryan Cline. I also think most of us were in tune with Ryan's inability to contain the dribble his first two years. However, towards the latter part of his sophomore year and last year Ryan improved immensely on his away from the ball defense and quite frankly was a very serviceable player on D away from the ball. When talking about D, it is important to distinguish between on the ball D and away from the ball D. As I've written many times on the ball requires more athleticism and off the ball...more smarts. What we don't know is whether there are any rules on D with the international team due to the expediency preparing right away, what defensive backgrounds the other players have. Seeing individual D on the ball that may show slowness isn't necessarily a surprise...Sasha is not super quick, but Purdue puts a LOT of emphasis on "TEAM" defense and that will help him with many teams...Michigan possibly being an exception.

A player shooting too hard can be a lot of things...things as simple as being too jacked up and in a hurry to do those things you have excelled at in the past, but now a bit more in a hurry...many times due to less chemistry on O, new players...many things. It really is too early to pass any judgement on a player's ability to contribute to the "TEAM" and not everyone can get minutes in all years. Could you imagine a disgruntled player a bit out of rotation, perhaps not as good as he thinks, not getting playing time? Sasha wanted to be a Boiler and he may or may not contribute a lot right away, but he will contribute and fill some needs the team needs. I'm not in a panic mode for Purdue based upon a couple of international games...a lot of days left before the official season
I didn't think Sasha was in the 8 man rotation prior to this tourney. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise. I agree with your assessment on he could be better in a team defensive system, but he is getting blown by when guarding on ball. The teams they are playing aren't exactly loaded with talent either. He may contribute down the line, but I'm not expecting much from him this season.

Reactions: KisteK
I didn't think Sasha was in the 8 man rotation prior to this tourney. I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise. I agree with your assessment on he could be better in a team defensive system, but he is getting blown by when guarding on ball. The teams they are playing aren't exactly loaded with talent either. He may contribute down the line, but I'm not expecting much from him this season.
I'm not aware of him ever being in a 8 man rotation either...hence the importance of those people that don't get a lot of playing time..and they are on EVERY TEAM, have good team chemistry else a player possibly better but still not good enough to break into the rotation disrupting team chemistry.

He will space teh floor before he leaves Purdue. He does seem like a player that is happy to get whatever minutes he can get. He is more athletic than some previous players. He will see meaningful minutes if not this year and next...his junior and senior years I believe. Let's see if things are different with the Purdue team than the international team. Lastly, I do recall last year MANY players talking about that funky ball they play with.

I'm not aware of him ever being in a 8 man rotation either...hence the importance of those people that don't get a lot of playing time..and they are on EVERY TEAM, have good team chemistry else a player possibly better but still not good enough to break into the rotation disrupting team chemistry.

He will space teh floor before he leaves Purdue. He does seem like a player that is happy to get whatever minutes he can get. He is more athletic than some previous players. He will see meaningful minutes if not this year and next...his junior and senior years I believe. Let's see if things are different with the Purdue team than the international team. Lastly, I do recall last year MANY players talking about that funky ball they play with.
I'm of the opinion that if you cant contribute in your 2nd year at Purdue (either Sophomore year, or Redshirt Freshman), then we shouldn't be offering a scholarship. This is exactly the type of situation that was being discussed when talking about reasons Grady has had to play.

Reactions: nagemj02

No one has mentioned the pipeline to the Region ... goodwill, PR, awareness, excitement of other players there.

I love the Kid because he is the type of player that will fill a need at Purdue.....smart, knows the game, and will play with the tools he has and be a positive for the Boilers. No he is not a 5 Star, so what, he will develop over the next 4 years and be a good player. Purdue wins with good players that run the system. Kramer, Smith, DM, Cline.....I seen all of these have bad games.
Remember, Sasha has not played in a game in about 1.5 years.....give him some time to get the rust off and feel comfortable.

He played in the world games last year and all year during Purdue practices against some very talented and experienced opponents. Earlier this Summer, he competed to be on his native country's team before other family issues came into play. I have a hard time believing rust developed in his game. And I have a hard time using the 1 1/2 years off is a good excuse.

Good gawwwwwwd, this thread is moronic.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom what people get out of trashing players. What's more, I don't think I want to know.

This thread is no different than any other previous thread on this basketball forum for the past 6 years. Somebody offers their insight from watching a game and an argument breaks out. It's the annual battle of the experts against the so-called experts. They each make valid points. Then people become defensive! Then people say get over it. It's clear we have nothing else to discuss and we have no lives. Even if Purdue would make the Final 4, these discussions would remain

You weren't a fan of Taylor , were you? A lot of people were, even though he could never see the floor.

Addressing everyone or no one in this thread, wasn’t Sasha one of the better 3 point shooters for the team during the WUG?

Brian Cardinal says hello.
The team was loaded with good upper classmen last year.
They wouldnt have played. The verdict is still out imo.

ADVERTISEMENT