ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer in trouble?

It’s the sad truth, but if nothing has happened to Izzo or Dantonio, there’s a 0% chance anything will happen to Meyer.

Edit: Happy to potentially be wrong, but still think nothing comes of the paid leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankie611
So, far be it for me to sympathize with Urban Meyer. But first of all this is an impossible situation. In situations like these, we are at the point when the legal system breaks down, we now hold a football coach responsible for carrying out the justice. But fire too early and without just cause and you are inviting a wrongful termination lawsuit. And going strictly by innocent until proven guilty in a court of law vanished with Title IX interpretations a long time ago.

So, what do you do? Well, you certainly don't want to fall into the PSU situation and sweep it under the rug. So you make sure it is escalated to your superiors. But that's what happened at Baylor and the superiors swept it under the rug. So, you make sure your superiors are notified and the police are investigating, and then you go back to your 80-100 hour a week job.

The charges are dropped and the issue appears to be dead. Then one day an ambitious reporter picks up on the story and starts asking questions. Realizing the gravity you fire the assistant. But now there are more questions about the timing of the firing. Granted the proper response in that situation is always "I can't comment on the issue" rather than lie, and here is where I think Urban's ego got him in trouble. He thought he could control the message in the national media last week at the media day the way he controls his local OSU media.

With all that said I think the worst he really did in this situation was lie to the media last week that he just learned of the 2015 allegations. That probably deserves some form of penance, but demanding his job or making an equivalence to PSU/Baylor doesn't appear to fit here.

The real question is why does the legal system continue to get a free pass when stories like these break? Where are the stories about the prosecutor and why isn't his/her photo on the front page of every news website? Why do we accept the premise that regardless of whether the legal system does its job, it is a coach's responsibility to be judge and jury when they prove time and time again they are not capable.

Last edited:
Paid leave at O$U - it's no different if a starter hurts and has to sit out a few weeks.

I've read everything I can find on this. I don't know how Meyer can possibly dodge this bullet. My question is now when does CJB make a "just checking in" phone call to Sampson James and Craig Young?

I’m fearful of a; When does OSU AD make a “just checking in call” to Jeff Brohm

I think they would target other candidates first, but if he’s fired Jeff’s name will be brought up a lot

Reactions: DannyGranger
Paid leave at O$U - it's no different if a starter hurts and has to sit out a few weeks.

He may have to miss the first game, scratch that, first half of the first game. It's not like he punched someone in a bowl game!?!

I’m fearful of a; When does OSU AD make a “just checking in call” to Jeff Brohm

I think they would target other candidates first, but if he’s fired Jeff’s name will be brought up a lot

The last coach they hired had 2 national titles and came from a top SEC program. I think Brohm may underwhelm tOSU boosters. And that is good for us! My concern is with who Is shopping after tOSU hires their coach (UGA, Texas, etc.)

I still think Gene Smith may come out and tell everyone that Urban told him, ala MSU. And that Urb was on admin leave to make sure that Urbs story was accurate and that there were a few details that were incorrect.

I mean someone had to contact the Powell police to get the Smith arrest report changed, so the OSU AD may have done their work thoroughly.

Therefore, he'll have to miss the 1st qtr of the first basketball game. And teach 10 seminars in how to properly document a title IX investigation. And wear a ribbon, make that two ribbons, scarlet and gray ones!

Last edited:
The last coach they hired had 2 national titles and came from a top SEC program. I think Brohm may underwhelm tOSU boosters. And that is good for us! My concern is with who Is shopping after tOSU hires their coach (UGA, Texas, etc.)

True..about the trickle down effect.

OSU needs to get Bob Stoops back in the game to avoid it all

He’s toast.

MSU paid $500M for their debacle. OSU is going to face the same with the wrestling situation.

I agree with espn host tonight. Paid leave is code for “negotiation of payout”. The very interesting item is OSU added language to his last contract for this specific situation. It is super clear that he needed to report something like this.

Of course this is by definition “he said / she said” and made more intriguing as it’s his wife that may have known.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I still think Gene Smith may come out and tell everyone that Urban told him, ala MSU. And that Urb was on admin leave to make sure that Urbs story was accurate and that there were a few details that were incorrect.

I mean someone had to contact the Powell police to get the Smith arrest report changed, so the OSU AD may have done their work thoroughly.

Therefore, he'll have to miss the 1st qtr of the first basketball game. And teach 10 seminars in how to properly document a title IX investigation. And wear a ribbon, make that two ribbons, scarlet and gray ones!
And don't forget he has to pay $47 to the charity of his choice!

Reactions: TheGunner
Maybe they can get some money from the alumni for a buyout at Youngstown State and bring Jim Tressel back.

Even if meyer fired...how long does he stay unemployed? Just as iong as he wants! His next job w be not from anyone that has competed for the championship in the last 15 years!
Someone who 15 to 20 years ago was title contender...ucla, Arizona, maybe Oregon I'd say Nebraska but they just hired a great coach...
Penn state...maybe!
N dame, they'd justify it somehow!

Reactions: SKYDOG
Even if meyer fired...how long does he stay unemployed? Just as iong as he wants! His next job w be not from anyone that has competed for the championship in the last 15 years!
Someone who 15 to 20 years ago was title contender...ucla, Arizona, maybe Oregon I'd say Nebraska but they just hired a great coach...
Penn state...maybe!
N dame, they'd justify it somehow!
I can see ND picking Urban up in a blink. I mean they let someone coach who has a death on his hands already, so this is small potatoes to them. Anything to win!

Imagine if he gets canned because of his wife’s texts to Smith’s wife. That might create some tension in the house...

This could get icky for OSU considering their recent past and being the same conference as PSU. He got up at media days and lied...that could be his undoing.

See but that’s where OSU despite their scumbag nature on some things .. actually gets my respect. They did fire Tressell.. they are putting Meyer on paid leave. PSU and MSU closed ranks and decided to make the rest of the world make them.

I'd be shocked if a wife's Text get a husband fired. What if she never mentioned it to him? Hmmmm...how far does that go in court?

I'd be shocked if a wife's Text get a husband fired. What if she never mentioned it to him? Hmmmm...how far does that go in court?
I think it is much less plausible that he didn't know of the texts to his wife than he did report it and simply lied to the media about it last week in an attempt to gloss over the issue publicly. I think in the end that will be the story he comes out with. Whether there will be proof that he reported the 2015 accusations and was told by authorities that there was nothing to it is another story. My guess is Urban and his AD are huddling right now with their lawyers to get their stories straight and to figure out who in the reporting chain is going to take the fall. Probably some compliance person making $50k who will receive a nice golden parachute.

Court rules of evidence dont apply in this case. At this point, OSU is doing 1 of 2 things

1) Finding a way to prove he had no knowledge and didnt fail to report the possible Title IX infraction so they can retain him; or
2) Getting their ducks in a row to fire him for cause so they dont have to pay the buyout.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I think it is much less plausible that he didn't know of the texts to his wife than he did report it and simply lied to the media about it last week in an attempt to gloss over the issue publicly. I think in the end that will be the story he comes out with. Whether there will be proof that he reported the 2015 accusations and was told by authorities that there was nothing to it is another story. My guess is Urban and his AD are huddling right now with their lawyers to get their stories straight and to figure out who in the reporting chain is going to take the fall. Probably some compliance person making $50k who will receive a nice golden parachute.
The issue is that Meyer’s wife works at the university as well. She falls under the Title IX compliance as well. At the very least, she will lose her job. If there is a single email, text, or vocalization that Urban knew....there is a good chance he is gone

I think it is much less plausible that he didn't know of the texts to his wife than he did report it and simply lied to the media about it last week in an attempt to gloss over the issue publicly. I think in the end that will be the story he comes out with. Whether there will be proof that he reported the 2015 accusations is another story. My guess is Urban and his AD are huddling right now with their lawyers to get their stories straight and to figure out who in the reporting chain is going to take the fall. Probably some compliance person making $50k who will receive a nice golden parachute.
After reading some of the articles on this, it would not surprise me one bit if Urban Meyer is given an "agreed buyout" so Ohio State can put this behind them. Look for a few big coaching changes within the Big Ten by the end of this season. tOSU, Michigan (Harbaugh not getting it done), MSU (Dantonio, nearing retirement & MSU scandals), Ferentz (nearing retirement).
For now, sit back and enjoy the Purdue Season ahead of us and I'm of the opinion that Brohm is setting himself and staff of a good run at bigger paydays & buyouts ahead at Purdue.
Side note digress - all the more reason for Sampson James a current tOSU commit & David Bell to look our way!

After reading some of the articles on this, it would not surprise me one bit if Urban Meyer is given an "agreed buyout" so Ohio State can put this behind them. Look for a few big coaching changes within the Big Ten by the end of this season. tOSU, Michigan (Harbaugh not getting it done), MSU (Dantonio, nearing retirement & MSU scandals), Ferentz (nearing retirement).
For now, sit back and enjoy the Purdue Season ahead of us and I'm of the opinion that Brohm is setting himself and staff of a good run at bigger paydays & buyouts ahead at Purdue.
Side note digress - all the more reason for Sampson James a current tOSU commit & David Bell to look our way!
I'll be a bit surprised if Urban goes down quietly on this without some cover from OSU. We're talking about a guy who retired for "health issues" in order to escape scandal at Florida. He is going to try to protect his image at all costs. If he has any shred of evidence that he notified a superior of the texts, then he could have a lot of leverage with how OSU responds to this.

I could have a bad beat on this, but I'll be surprised if Urban goes down quietly on this without some cover from OSU. We're talking about a guy who retired for "health issues" in order to escape scandal at Florida. He is going to try to protect his image at all costs. If he has any shred of evidence that he notified a superior of the texts, that changes the whole scenario.
As a teacher who is, essentially, working under the same rules Urban is...if I feel like my administration didn’t report or isn’t taking it seriously, I must contact someone else. Passing the baton and waving a white flag is the sign of a weak and impotent person. I had an instance of domestic abuse between a couple at our school that I reported to our admins. I then immediately called DCS to ensure a report would be filed and if it hadn’t by the end of the day to call my personal cell phone.

It is about compassion and following through: Urban and his wife have consistently shown a blind eye when it came to throwing the championship drive off course.

As a teacher who is, essentially, working under the same rules Urban is...if I feel like my administration didn’t report or isn’t taking it seriously, I must contact someone else. Passing the baton and waving a white flag is the sign of a weak and impotent person. I had an instance of domestic abuse between a couple at our school that I reported to our admins. I then immediately called DCS to ensure a report would be filed and if it hadn’t by the end of the day to call my personal cell phone.

It is about compassion and following through: Urban and his wife have consistently shown a blind eye when it came to throwing the championship drive off course.
Oh, I get that. Reporting doesn't let him off the hook for putting the football program ahead of the victim. But it would shift the balance of power when it comes to how OSU and their lawyers decide to respond to this. How many people could Urban take down with him could have an effect. OSU is going to take the path of least resistance, whatever that is. In the words of Lionel Hutz, there's the truth and then there's "the truth"!

The law does not apply equally to all. As a federal employee I take annual training that assures me that if I were to have federal work product on a non-government computer, tablet or cell phone I can receive large fines and jail time. I have no doubt that law would be enforced if I violated it. OTOH I'd get a pass if I had it on a server in my bathroom closet, a blackberry, or some winner's laptop.

for what it's worth, the SIU track coach was fired because of similar related off the track issues. She and he (married coaching team) were first identified, secretely suspended, and then fired after an investigation was accomplished. I mention this because it was over two months before the public was notified of the firing. however, there were a lot of behind the scenes activities.

For this to be made public, I have to believe there has also been a lot of behind the scenes activities and investigation already accomplished.

I'm not very savy about coach firings and title 9. is knowing about an alleged violation justification for being fired? Then again, is an alleged violation/crime justification for being fired? What if the courts decide no violation/crime occurred? Should a person still be fired/ and should the person who did nothing but knew about an allegation be fired?

We seem to have a double standard in our society? A person can be fired just on allegations? I know somebody who has over 20+ allegations filed against him. Do we support the person until proven guilty? or do we fire him and take the accuser's side as the truth?

I'm not very savy about coach firings and title 9. is knowing about an alleged violation justification for being fired? Then again, is an alleged violation/crime justification for being fired? What if the courts decide no violation/crime occurred? Should a person still be fired/ and should the person who did nothing but knew about an allegation be fired?

We seem to have a double standard in our society? A person can be fired just on allegations? I know somebody who has over 20+ allegations filed against him. Do we support the person until proven guilty? or do we fire him and take the accuser's side as the truth?
There isnt a double standard. He was required under his contract to report all allegations of a Title IX violation to the proper person in the administration. He didnt. Then he was dumb enough to go on record at Big Ten media days saying he had no knowledge of the incident. Then, voila, text messages indicating he most likely knew come out. He can be fired for cause. OSU can be sanctioned for violations of title ix. on and on.

This isnt an innocent until proven guilty thing.

Reactions: Frankie611
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT