ADVERTISEMENT

Upon review a couple more little tidbits shedding some more light on the last game.

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
1) I’ve seen it before and don’t know why is hasn’t been called? Perhaps the rules have changed, and I’m just not current which could be the case. You used to teach player to bend their non dribbling arm at a 90 degree to protect the ball. However, early in the game and in other games Galloway extends his full arm straight out holding off the defender. I’ve never seen it called this year, can a player “by the rules” hold off a defender with a “straight arm”? It was only early in the game. Later for whatever reason he ceased to do it. Why I have no idea?
2) The physical D was only part of the problems. Purdue is to blame for most the turnovers Purdue committed.
3) Fletcher was absolutely destroyed physically being flattened to the court twice…obvious with a ref right there and no call. One went for a basket and maybe both?
4) TJD in front of the vipers fell forcing the refs to call something with the viper’s feet away in Zach’s first foul.
5) Zach’s third foul where TJD gestured to his minions and offensive foul on Zach that the announcers later said TJD needed an Oscar was strictly TJD falling on his own. Review will show that when Zach takes a step into the lane, he steps on TJD foot which led to TJD falling. Many of these calls took place with Larry Scirotto on the scene.

Now these are some of the more outrageous calls and no calls in the game. I have no doubt that missed calls hurt IU as well, but unsure any as outrageous as some against Purdue that should have been easy like mowing down Fletcher.

Bottom line…this is on Purdue and under Purdue’s control except for the two times Fletcher was mowed down maybe?
1) There were three turnovers that easily shouldn’t have happened. 1) Jenkins pass to Trey as he is trying to seal the defender in and Jenkins did NOT seek the angle to feed the ball in, so Trey could hold his position. Trey is holding one direction, the pass is away from that direction…which is great if not a post player trying to hold position! 2)Fletcher did the same thing. 3) Brandon went on auto which he can do at times and threw the ball to an unopen player (Braden??) that was stolen at the end of the half. 4) someone got careless with the ball allowing IU to get the ball with sloppy play in Purdue’s backcourt.
2) Offensive screening for Purdue could have been much better. Mostly saw Fletcher and Braden and they could have set their defenders up a bit better and cut much tighter to the screens than they did. Screener (Mason mainly) could have been just a bit wider to help.
3) On D one-time TJD split double and you just can’t leave a gap to be split…and did Purdue need three at times rather than 2 ?
4) Dribbling curls as Purdue follows the offensive player for fear of stopping and getting a three-ball allowed IU Shiffino and Galloway get going towards the basket with Zach more on the wing and no help as they used their size.
I think aggressive perimeter D without getting fouls that has length and a rim protector is the best physical qualities to play against Purdue. That said, I am not sure it is as big a problem as originally thought and suspect the two horrible non-calls that mowed down Fletcher that led to baskets while losing possessions for Purdue as well will most likely be called in the future and Purdue can clean up the screening by being more particular in details when screening. Other than the crowd obscenities so close to the court and the general environment expected I have no understanding why Purdue had the errors they did? Mason traveling under the basket???

1) I’ve seen it before and don’t know why is hasn’t been called? Perhaps the rules have changed, and I’m just not current which could be the case. You used to teach player to bend their non dribbling arm at a 90 degree to protect the ball. However, early in the game and in other games Galloway extends his full arm straight out holding off the defender. I’ve never seen it called this year, can a player “by the rules” hold off a defender with a “straight arm”? It was only early in the game. Later for whatever reason he ceased to do it. Why I have no idea?
2) The physical D was only part of the problems. Purdue is to blame for most the turnovers Purdue committed.
3) Fletcher was absolutely destroyed physically being flattened to the court twice…obvious with a ref right there and no call. One went for a basket and maybe both?
4) TJD in front of the vipers fell forcing the refs to call something with the viper’s feet away in Zach’s first foul.
5) Zach’s third foul where TJD gestured to his minions and offensive foul on Zach that the announcers later said TJD needed an Oscar was strictly TJD falling on his own. Review will show that when Zach takes a step into the lane, he steps on TJD foot which led to TJD falling. Many of these calls took place with Larry Scirotto on the scene.

Now these are some of the more outrageous calls and no calls in the game. I have no doubt that missed calls hurt IU as well, but unsure any as outrageous as some against Purdue that should have been easy like mowing down Fletcher.

Bottom line…this is on Purdue and under Purdue’s control except for the two times Fletcher was mowed down maybe?
1) There were three turnovers that easily shouldn’t have happened. 1) Jenkins pass to Trey as he is trying to seal the defender in and Jenkins did NOT seek the angle to feed the ball in, so Trey could hold his position. Trey is holding one direction, the pass is away from that direction…which is great if not a post player trying to hold position! 2)Fletcher did the same thing. 3) Brandon went on auto which he can do at times and threw the ball to an unopen player (Braden??) that was stolen at the end of the half. 4) someone got careless with the ball allowing IU to get the ball with sloppy play in Purdue’s backcourt.
2) Offensive screening for Purdue could have been much better. Mostly saw Fletcher and Braden and they could have set their defenders up a bit better and cut much tighter to the screens than they did. Screener (Mason mainly) could have been just a bit wider to help.
3) On D one-time TJD split double and you just can’t leave a gap to be split…and did Purdue need three at times rather than 2 ?
4) Dribbling curls as Purdue follows the offensive player for fear of stopping and getting a three-ball allowed IU Shiffino and Galloway get going towards the basket with Zach more on the wing and no help as they used their size.
I think aggressive perimeter D without getting fouls that has length and a rim protector is the best physical qualities to play against Purdue. That said, I am not sure it is as big a problem as originally thought and suspect the two horrible non-calls that mowed down Fletcher that led to baskets while losing possessions for Purdue as well will most likely be called in the future and Purdue can clean up the screening by being more particular in details when screening. Other than the crowd obscenities so close to the court and the general environment expected I have no understanding why Purdue had the errors they did? Mason traveling under the basket???
Agree ...

Reactions: tjreese

You lower your shoulder, you're getting called for an offensive foul 90% of the time. And why Edey even dipped his shoulder made zero sense.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You lower your shoulder, you're getting called for an offensive foul 90% of the time. And why Edey even dipped his shoulder made zero sense.
every time a person dribbles they lower the shoulders. Could you imagine doing otherwise? I'm unfamiliar with the rules. Is it now against teh rules to lower your shoulders on the basketball court? Got the step on TJD feet as well...

Reactions: drewjin
every time a person dribbles they lower the shoulders. Could you imagine doing otherwise? I'm unfamiliar with the rules. Is it now against teh rules to lower your shoulders on the basketball court? Got the step on TJD feet as well...
There is a difference when in the post. And if you don't know that, I question you basketball knowledge.

There is a difference when in the post. And if you don't know that, I question you basketball knowledge.
Its not the lowering of the shoulders...it is the timing of positioning and perpendicularity of contact that takes place and the judgement of those . Lowering your shoulders happens ever time some one dribbles as I said. I have no concern of whether you question my basketball knowledge or not. It is probably a red badge of courage...

According to the geniuses on the IU forum, Mason traveled because he was intimidated by TJD's chest bump and wanted no part of TJD's "smoke." (I'm assuming that's the travel you're referencing.)

Its not the lowering of the shoulders...it is the timing of positioning and perpendicularity of contact that takes place and the judgement of those . Lowering your shoulders happens ever time some one dribbles as I said. I have no concern of whether you question my basketball knowledge or not. It is probably a red badge of courage...
Thanks for the most difficult explanation of lowering a shoulder. It's pretty simple. Everyone else pretty much understands, except you I guess.

According to the geniuses on the IU forum, Mason traveled because he was intimidated by TJD's chest bump and wanted no part of TJD's "smoke." (I'm assuming that's the travel you're referencing.)
When traveling occurs...and is called sometimes it is a unexpected surprise. I'm guessing Mason was trying to use the rim to protect against the block. You just don't lead with the ball so it gets blocked. You just square up and jump up and out to provide some clearance and then bring the ball up leading with your body. I just sit here and wonder if Mason were different and had a different coach what would have happened if someone like or TJD went out of bounds to chest bump and it escalated. We have a guy well put together that has no fear for his body going at it with one who likes to stand in front of a mirror. Not a good situation...

I'd say he traveled because he got "scared" of getting blocked.

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Thanks for the most difficult explanation of lowering a shoulder. It's pretty simple. Everyone else pretty much understands, except you I guess.
I just pointed out that technically you are incorrect. However, the observance of such many times leads officials to make an offensive call. Apparently you didn't get that? Lowering your shoulders does not result in an offensive foul. Do you really want to debate that like the other things you held onto?

Lowering your shoulders and approaching some degree of perpendicularity in the physical direction of contact or force is a foul. Many officials make a judgement that the offensive player when "leading with a shoulder" turns the body more perpendicular (sideways) towards the defender and is the one initiating contact common in post offense.

However lowering the shoulder and driving the ball with the defender and offensive players making contact typically results in teh defener getting the foul...since physics prevents the speed of both shutting down the posibility that the defender is set for that head on foul...that is why it is rare and usually wrong for a person to take the charge instead of help defense because help defense has time to set up. It is also why you work on that first step to come close to the shoulder of the defender so that you do NOT go needlessly wide and lose your advantage.

Still, you can lower your shoulders in the post. Many times zach bent down and lowered his shoulders obvious to teh refs and he was not called for a foul even though he lowered his shoulders. It was only when he was viewed as plowing into the defender...just like he would be called for an offensive foul standing straight up and plowing down the defender in his way ...if the defender was set in time. That is what makes it a foul...no lowering your shoulders. Lowering your shoulders is the visual used for that call, but as I said if Zach stands straight up and runs through the defender it is an offensive foul even when standing straight up

One other to add to the list on defensive lapses - I feel there was at least one time that Braden gambled on his patented pick six steal and missed. Feel like they got a 3 out of one of his gambles or we were completely out of sorts recovering on defense.

One other to add to the list on defensive lapses - I feel there was at least one time that Braden gambled on his patented pick six steal and missed. Feel like they got a 3 out of one of his gambles or we were completely out of sorts recovering on defense.
could be I don't know? I know Ethan was to much towards the lane and high when Galloway went down to the corner for a three that was too far of a close out. They beat Purdue inside the arc...course one less three and the L probably turns to a W. I doubt these kids go to IU and are bothered the same next year. I imagine the players never grew up in homes with as much profanity as they heard and probably caught them off guard. ;)

Wow, nice , perhaps you need to check in with Matt on these refs....I guarantee there was 5 points of bad calls, more like 10.

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain
It's just embarrassing because IU has so much talent as bad as Purdue played none of the bs was really needed. Just tired of football games on hard court. That's the MO though

• Sad
It's just embarrassing because IU has so much talent as bad as Purdue played none of the bs was really needed. Just tired of football games on hard court. That's the MO though
They are a more mature team physically and mentally. The more physical the better for IU at least on the perimeter. However, Purdue has more to blame than IU for the loss and IU shot very well

I meanLarry Scirotto has his own past, but the two no calls that knocked down fletcher was close to a linebacker blitzing unblocked .
What plays are you even talking about? Whatever they are, sounds hilarious and probably not even fouls.

What plays are you even talking about? Whatever they are, sounds hilarious and probably not even fouls.
They weren't fouls...that is what I said. No fouls called, but both sent the offensive player with the ball crashing to the floor and he was not going to the floor to lay in the fetal position thinking the ceiling was falling. Fletcher has held that acting inside for over 20 games, but he released it at the Hall, but not enough to matter to teh official

It was just 2 lost possessions and 2 baskets for IU. I'm sure someone could dig around and find some obscure fouls by Purdue that were not called that may have hurt IU. Shoot, I remember before you were born Alan Henderson straddling over Linc Darner on the left elbow after Alan was not called for a foul in Linc's attempt at a win with the official in the picture seeing it and no foul called.

It happens. I would be a horrible official...absolutely horrible...talking too much to the players and seeing how they were doing things and forgetting to blow the whistle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT