ADVERTISEMENT

Until Purdue Can Successfully Recruit Players With Better Skills

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
They will only be an average team. It has been a long time since players like that wore the old gold and black. Yes, it is tough to recruit those better players to West Lafayette like Jack and two other coaches did for awhile but the NCAA and laws have finally given them the tool to break that chain but we haven’t yet used it to our advantage…NIL MONEY!

• Haha
Reactions: Robinahood
They will only be an average team. It has been a long time since players like that wore the old gold and black. Yes, it is tough to recruit those better players to West Lafayette like Jack and two other coaches did for awhile but the NCAA and laws have finally given them the tool to break that chain but we haven’t yet used it to our advantage…NIL MONEY!
Is it easier to recruit to Madison?

Purdue will always be Purdue. Its just something we have to deal with.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It’s easier to recruit to Wisconsin, if for no other reasons than they have more recruits who grew up Badger fans since it’s the only instate program, and they have 80K in Camp Randall for every game.
Purdue has obstacles to overcome, as has been covered SO many times...and, while a very minimally impactful one, I will concede that there is some truth to your point about kids growing up as fans of the program.

That said, Purdue has had many, many great players...and, has found ways to get them...the idea that it can't recruit is simply false...it needs guys/coaches that are capable of doing it though.

You know what would draw kids? Winning...generally seems to appeal to kids...and, developing players so that they can play at the next level. Purdue has not done enough of the former in recent years (or, at a high enough level consistently), and, it is not doing a remotely good job at the latter.

Add in the opportunities that exist with NIL to overcome some of the obstacles that exist(ed), and, Purdue has the means by which to be able to recruit, but, it is failing from a NIL standpoint (failing horribly), failing from the development standpoint of getting guys to the league, and, just failing in general to land some higher end talent (maybe because Purdue football was so bad for so long...yet, even when it was, it STILL found ways to get talented individuals).

Purdue has obstacles to overcome, as has been covered SO many times...and, while a very minimally impactful one, I will concede that there is some truth to your point about kids growing up as fans of the program.

That said, Purdue has had many, many great players...and, has found ways to get them...the idea that it can't recruit is simply false...it needs guys/coaches that are capable of doing it though.

You know what would draw kids? Winning...generally seems to appeal to kids...and, developing players so that they can play at the next level. Purdue has not done enough of the former in recent years (or, at a high enough level consistently), and, it is not doing a remotely good job at the latter.

Add in the opportunities that exist with NIL to overcome some of the obstacles that exist(ed), and, Purdue has the means by which to be able to recruit, but, it is failing from a NIL standpoint (failing horribly), failing from the development standpoint of getting guys to the league, and, just failing in general to land some higher end talent (maybe because Purdue football was so bad for so long...yet, even when it was, it STILL found ways to get talented individuals).
Oh we can get players. I just think Wisconsin has some built in recruiting advantages right now, versus us.

Reactions: DAG10
It’s easier to recruit to Wisconsin, if for no other reasons than they have more recruits who grew up Badger fans since it’s the only instate program, and they have 80K in Camp Randall for every game.
We heard this forever about all lineman. Turns out if you get a coach as good as Hagen it ends up not being true of DL but being true of dales operation

Oh we can get players. I just think Wisconsin has some built in recruiting advantages right now, versus us.
How many University Unions in the U.S. has this? This becomes such an easy sell in August/Sept. Summertime as well...maybe late May too.
They have Terrace Patio music and beer (thru Rathskellar) on campus.

Calling what we currently have average and untalented makes it seem like you've only watched Purdue football for like half a season.
We are certainly average as our record indicates the past few years…never said we are untalented but our list of 4 and 5 star recruits is certainly small! I give credit to our CURRENT QB and our running back, could only dream of what their numbers would be with lines and wideouts like Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, USC, Michigan Penn State, UCLA, etc, has!

If you’re an offensive lineman. You go to Iowa. Nil is a non factor! If you want to be part of a National or big 10 champ, you go to OSU or Michigan. Nil is not a factor. If you want to be an engineer you go to Purdue. If you do any research on NIL you will realize it is not the school who makes or even arranged the super big deals. It is the player and that player’s handlers and their unofficial agents who make the really big deals. Schools create alliances, but the money these alliances give out is a drop in the bucket to what players can get on their own or using their quasi handlers.

people need to stop criticizing schools for not providing more NIL money. Johnny Manuel provided the blue print. If the player wants money, the player represents himself. Bronny James already has $millions in NIL money and he hasn’t even committed to any school yet.

we have to realize NIl is not the school, but rather each player is in it for themselves! Sure, the school can hand out mcl lunches. But if the kid really wants $$$$, He won’t expect the schools to find it for them!

If you’re an offensive lineman. You go to Iowa. Nil is a non factor! If you want to be part of a National or big 10 champ, you go to OSU or Michigan. Nil is not a factor. If you want to be an engineer you go to Purdue. If you do any research on NIL you will realize it is not the school who makes or even arranged the super big deals. It is the player and that player’s handlers and their unofficial agents who make the really big deals. Schools create alliances, but the money these alliances give out is a drop in the bucket to what players can get on their own or using their quasi handlers.

people need to stop criticizing schools for not providing more NIL money. Johnny Manuel provided the blue print. If the player wants money, the player represents himself. Bronny James already has $millions in NIL money and he hasn’t even committed to any school yet.

we have to realize NIl is not the school, but rather each player is in it for themselves! Sure, the school can hand out mcl lunches. But if the kid really wants $$$$, He won’t expect the schools to find it for them!
Athletes can sign with agents prior to finishing their eligibility to represent them in NIL deals. Just can’t to rep them in football with NFL teams.

We do not have top tier talent across the board and at every position like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan and OSU. I do think that we currently have enough talent that we could be 7-1 or even 8-0 at this point against a somewhat easy schedule. The losses this year are not because the other teams have necessarily beaten us, it's because we have beaten ourselves. Mental mistakes by players and at times questionable coaching have lead to our losses.

We do not have top tier talent across the board and at every position like Alabama, Georgia, Michigan and OSU. I do think that we currently have enough talent that we could be 7-1 or even 8-0 at this point against a somewhat easy schedule. The losses this year are not because the other teams have necessarily beaten us, it's because we have beaten ourselves. Mental mistakes by players and at times questionable coaching have lead to our losses.
This team should have more collective talent than it does, and, it lacks any top end talent presently...maybe some of the younger guys that we have not seen possess that (and, hopefully so), but, the lack of depth anywhere aside of the Defensive Line, and, the lack of difference-makers is concerning.

You are correct with regard to the potential record, but, it is a result of the easy schedule that you referenced. Again, what is frustrating is that they have lost games that they had a chance to win with some better decisions from the sidelines and some better execution on the field...and, if they had some top end talent, maybe those things could have been overcome still due to the fact that the competition was not generally more talented as you noted.

Purdue is never going to rival the likes of the schools that you mentioned, but, it seemingly should be at a point now where it can attract some talent on the offensive side at least...but, that it has not been able to on the defensive side generally is a problem...in itself, and, with respect to what we have seen on the field. There was some focus seemingly this year from a recruiting standpoint there...hopefully that will pay off.

Purdue likely will not benefit from a schedule like this year's again, more so with expansion...it needs to capitalize (and still can), and, it is going to have to do a better job or recruiting genuine talent, and, then developing guys (as that has probably been a bigger issue than actual recruiting even) to be in the mix near the top moving forward. I still think the failure to get guys to the NFL works against them...it does not mean that they can't find guys that they can win with (as they have shown the ability to do that), but, to be closer to the top in the conference and to be in a position for a special year now and then, it needs to do a better job of attracting talent....and, developing talent.

Reactions: rjmpu82
When did Wisconsin become a hotbed for football talent? It's probably about in line with Minnesota, even Indiana, in terms of the talent pool. I get that they raise your stereotypical corn-fed white boy giant offensive lineman, but I'd bet that most of their skill position players and DBs come from out of state.
Nebraska and Minny could make the same argument and I don't see them being anything special.

Year over year top 10 and usually top 5. To an 18 year old, that is a difference maker.
An 18 yr old athlete on a full ride with potentially pro aspirations could give a rats ass where a school is ranked in terms of partying (and academics). If that's anywhere in their Top 50 of criteria on where to play football/basketball, then I don't want that kid in the program.

I think Wis had built an identity of putting OL in the NFL and getting great RBs to run behind that line.
Purdue should be in the same position with QBs/WRs, and RBs to a certain extent.

How many University Unions in the U.S. has this? This becomes such an easy sell in August/Sept. Summertime as well...maybe late May too.
They have Terrace Patio music and beer (thru Rathskellar) on campus.

Guess how many football and basketball players are attending? Zero.
Sure, it's nice for the general student population, but a serious athlete is going between the weightroom, classroom, training table, tutor and football/basketball facility. They're not hanging out at the lake.

Guess how many football and basketball players are attending? Zero.
Sure, it's nice for the general student population, but a serious athlete is going between the weightroom, classroom, training table, tutor and football/basketball facility. They're not hanging out at the lake.
As a recruit, it is highlighted as part of the tour. We know two athletes over the years (football and soccer) and both parents outlined their kids tours. The beautiful lake gets mentioned.
True the athletes don't get to enjoy it much, but you show the "potential" eye candy to them.

When did Wisconsin become a hotbed for football talent? It's probably about in line with Minnesota, even Indiana, in terms of the talent pool. I get that they raise your stereotypical corn-fed white boy giant offensive lineman, but I'd bet that most of their skill position players and DBs come from out of state.
Nebraska and Minny could make the same argument and I don't see them being anything special.
Did I say it was a hotbed for football talent ?

I think Wis had built an identity of putting OL in the NFL and getting great RBs to run behind that line.
Purdue should be in the same position with QBs/WRs, and RBs to a certain extent.
Last legit big-time RB recruit to Purdue?

As a recruit, it is highlighted as part of the tour. We know two athletes over the years (football and soccer) and both parents outlined their kids tours. The beautiful lake gets mentioned.
True the athletes don't get to enjoy it much, but you show the "potential" eye candy to them.
soccer? Come on....
Just curious, where did the football player you know end up going?

Sampson James?
Maybe, I guess...not really recruited, and, never even played...but, was legit seemingly.

Colletto had some solid RBs...Tiller did (although not at the level that I would have thought)...Hope was probably the last HC to really have some quality guys at the position...Markell Jones?

Not sure how/why Brohm has not either tried, or, succeeded.

Purdue has had some great backs historically, but, not had a great one in a LONG time...not recruited a really good one in a long time either.

Maybe, I guess...not really recruited, and, never even played...but, was legit seemingly.

Colletto had some solid RBs...Tiller did (although not at the level that I would have thought)...Hope was probably the last HC to really have some quality guys at the position...Markell Jones?

Purdue has had some great backs historically, but, not had a great one in a LONG time...not recruited a really good one in a long time either.
Al-Terek McBurse ?

With the focus on backs in the NFL that can catch the ball out of the backfield (Kamara, Cook, Ekler, etc), you'd think Brohm could find that type of back and guarantee him 20 touches a game on running or pass plays.

With the focus on backs in the NFL that can catch the ball out of the backfield (Kamara, Cook, Ekler, etc), you'd think Brohm could find that type of back and guarantee him 20 touches a game on running or pass plays.
I thought Tracy was going to be that type of guy...he was fairly highly touted coming out of HS, and, his transfer in was much more heralded than that of Jones...lots of talk in the off-season around him being so versatile...but, he has not even made a marginal impact really in any way.

I thought he would be a better version of Anthrop (which is not a knock at all on Anthrop given how good he was, particularly last year)...but, that has not been the case...at all unfortunately.

I thought Tracy was going to be that type of guy...he was fairly highly touted coming out of HS, and, his transfer in was much more heralded than that of Jones...lots of talk in the off-season around him being so versatile...but, he has not even made a marginal impact really in any way.

I thought he would be a better version of Anthrop (which is not a knock at all on Anthrop given how good he was, particularly last year)...but, that has not been the case...at all unfortunately.
I hear you.

Got to take spring practice warriors with a grain of salt as it seems very few times does it translate to in season production (at least with Purdue players).

Tracy vexes me. How does Charlie Jones go from afterthought on offense at Iowa to Bilitnikof watch list at Purdue, while Tracy goes in the opposite direction?

I hear you.

Got to take spring practice warriors with a grain of salt as it seems very few times does it translate to in season production (at least with Purdue players).
This goes for the preseason basketball practices as well.

And the Colts too for that matter. All during camp we heard how great the Westfield Warriors looked…

It didn’t.. this is stupidity that excuses Dale Williams and other coaches for sucking at their job. Mark hagen is recruiting just fine at Purdue. But that’s because he’s mark hagen. When you’re not mark hagen, it turns out you can’t recruit OTs…

We also didn’t convert moore, bell and Wright into anything. That should have been “hey, you’re a 5.9 receiver? You can do it here and have really good QBs getting you the ball.” What we have us guys like Sullivan and terrell who apparently can’t beat out slot receivers for the spot opposite Jones. The fact that sowinski is getting as much run as he is should embarrass some guys…

but If we had mark hagen the wide receiver coach WE would have brought in trey palmer.. or someone like that.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Tracy vexes me. How does Charlie Jones go from afterthought on offense at Iowa to Bilitnikof watch list at Purdue, while Tracy goes in the opposite direction?
Tracy's not at explosive or elusive as I was expecting based on what we read/heard. He's decent, but not a game changer.

Reactions: Boiler8285
It didn’t.. this is stupidity that excuses Dale Williams and other coaches for sucking at their job. Mark hagen is recruiting just fine at Purdue. But that’s because he’s mark hagen. When you’re not mark hagen, it turns out you can’t recruit OTs…

We also didn’t convert moore, bell and Wright into anything. That should have been “hey, you’re a 5.9 receiver? You can do it here and have really good QBs getting you the ball.” What we have us guys like Sullivan and terrell who apparently can’t beat out slot receivers for the spot opposite Jones. The fact that sowinski is getting as much run as he is should embarrass some guys…

but If we had mark hagen the wide receiver coach WE would have brought in trey palmer.. or someone like that.
Historically Wisconsin could always recruit great lineman and running backs starting when Coach Barry Alvarez filled the void in the Purdue’s Chicagoland area Public and Catholic High School recruiting when our Coach Jack Mollenkopf was pushed aside! Once Barry left ND to become Wisconsin’s Head Coach he went after and got those players that he could not recruit to South Bend due both academic and social issues at the time at ND. Purdue dominated recruiting in that area in addition to the Newport News ship building area. Purdue never recovered from that! I was at Purdue at that time and my roommate was friends with players like Armstrong, Bingham, Stingley, Butz, Harivnak, etc and talked with them often!

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT