ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated Boilers

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
As I digest coverage, not only here, but in magazines, on YouTube.. as well as posts here, I can’t help but wonder if a few players aren’t being underestimated based on what we know.

TJ Sheffield - A couple things are weird about Sheffield’s coverage, so long as he’s not as hungry as he was last offseason. It’s assumed that Tracy may start or be the most productive option in the slot, and I haven’t seen Sheffield called our best receiver by anyone. Two things..

> Did you know that Tracy had 65 fewer yards and 3 fewer TDs the last two seasons than Sheffield did last year alone? You can say Ferentz and petras, but Sheffield was with elite receivers the last couple years and splitting time with anthrop last year. Also, not sure how much better plummer is than the average big ten QB as far as those games go.

> did you know that going into the bowl game last year, the stat lines actually looked like this:

Sheffield 264 yds 4 TD
Thompson 240 yds 2 TD

could Tracy and Thompson outshine Sheffield? Of course. By as much as the coverage seems to Indictate? Not if things are going well off the field for all parties involved. Especially since (even outside of Purdue fandom) Tracy running the ball seems to be a bigger story line than Sheffield’s existence.

Cam Allen - From everything under the sun, and in light of Trice’s injury, I’m not getting the sense that Allen is our second best player on defense after Jalen Graham, and he just is.. I don’t even know that that’s a question. If you think

Stuart Schweigert is the best FS I’ll likely ever see at Purdue, but did you know that with 7 career INTs, cam Allen needs only four to tie Adrian Beasley’s 11?

I still think of Ricardo Allen as a corner, so obvious he was better than Cam Allen, but If you consider Ricardo a corner, I think Cam has a chance to go down as the second best free safety of the post coletto era at Purdue. I know they are safeties of different spots.

who, if anyone, do you think is underrated

You realize Beasley go 11 in 3 seasons, right?
Allen not really in the game much freshman year plus covid year. Beasley had played 25 games going into his senior year, Allen 29… so Allen would need it in 8 games for it to be legit.

if you don’t think he’s good you don’t think Purdue is good. Objectively 2nd best player on defense.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised on the OLine play this year.

i also think Taylor Reese could be very good for us with a good coaching staff and full time stats as DB. It may be a moot point if Trice is healthy though.

I think someone will step up at WR, next man up there.

Forgot about Williams .. 7 INT in 5 years and 41 games ..
Williams was one of the 2 best dubs I’ve seen at Purdue at forcing fumbles. For some reason that skill isn’t taught anymore. He and josh Johnson were excellent t taking the ball.
Also. Williams could press cover and not get smoked

Reactions: pboiler18
Williams was one of the 2 best dubs I’ve seen at Purdue at forcing fumbles. For some reason that skill isn’t taught anymore. He and josh Johnson were excellent t taking the ball.
Also. Williams could press cover and not get smoked
I’ll take Allen but Williams was certainly very good. And I will admit that my fandom of Allen, J. thienemann and even Marvin and Jefferson probably has to do with how many non big ten players we had playing there since pollard and stu.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised on the OLine play this year.

i also think Taylor Reese could be very good for us with a good coaching staff and full time stats as DB. It may be a moot point if Trice is healthy though.

I think someone will step up at WR, next man up there.
It’s sounding like we may have the best opening day OL we’ve had in some time and If thats the case, look out, cause Purdue could go to Indy all other things and questions equal. I’m cautiously optimistic.

I genuinely think 7-2 is sole first place and punches a spot in Indy. We are one of 3 teams IMO who can be that in the west. We and Wisconsin are our own worst enemies this year.
Oh I thought you meant the OL being good. Yes we haven’t had a shot this good in divisions

If not this year, it might never happen
If Gus Hartwig comes back for his senior year I think they will be fine. Eric Miller is there only senior starting except that transfer Johnson and I like their young talent. Mbow could be an individual who surprises the most. Moussa and Richards could develop into major contributors in 2023 and we should have Finau then too.

If Gus Hartwig comes back for his senior year I think they will be fine. Eric Miller is there only senior starting except that transfer Johnson and I like their young talent. Mbow could be an individual who surprises the most. Moussa and Richards could develop into major contributors in 2023 and we should have Finau then too.
I highly doubt he leaves early. He doesnt have the strength yet.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
It’s sounding like we may have the best opening day OL we’ve had in some time and If thats the case, look out, cause Purdue could go to Indy all other things and questions equal. I’m cautiously optimistic.
I am optimistic and probably more than just cautiously optimistic. We moved our businesses to Florida this year and I’m crossing my fingers that I can pick up all of the games on the BT and through Hulu.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I highly doubt he leaves early. He doesnt have the strength yet.
Gus seems like a very durable player. What is the areas of strength, physical strength he needs to improve upon for the NFL? Explosiveness? Lower body, upper body? I have no idea because I don’t follow any of that stuff. But you don’t get to be as good as he is with so much upside and leave one year early unless you’re going to be a lock for the NFL, yes? (which he is obviously not a lock)

Gus seems like a very durable player. What is the areas of strength, physical strength he needs to improve upon for the NFL? Explosiveness? Lower body, upper body? I have no idea because I don’t follow any of that stuff. But you don’t get to be as good as he is with so much upside and leave one year early unless you’re going to be a lock for the NFL, yes? (which he is obviously not a lock)
His footwork and leverage are why he holds up. He can’t get push yet. Strength overall needs to improve.

@BC totally with you on Shef (aka Jaws?)

Tracey sounds like he could play slot, wide, or RB and I imagine Brohm will use him at all those positions. Thus, i think Shef and Tracey will be on the field a lot together.

No argument from me on Cam Allen headed into this season. Hoping though that we have someone have an Anthony Spencer-esque breakout year.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I believe Hartwig is under rated. he could become our best center in a long time.

I thought everyone thought he was our best OL by far
Yes we think he’s awesome, but part of the intent of the original post is what magazines and other National analysts think of our players. I believe Hartwig is under rated as he could become a first team all big ten center ahead of the ones from UW, Iowa much and OSU.

outside of Purdue followers, our offensive linemen get very little respect from other fans and media. I believe Hartwig could change that perception. That’s why I call him Underrated!

Yes we think he’s awesome, but part of the intent of the original post is what magazines and other National analysts think of our players. I believe Hartwig is under rated as he could become a first team all big ten center ahead of the ones from UW, Iowa much and OSU.

outside of Purdue followers, our offensive linemen get very little respect from other fans and media. I believe Hartwig could change that perception. That’s why I call him Underrated!
I think magazines and YouTube previews have been generally better for their distance from the program than Munson, skolnick and co have been here.

I think magazines and YouTube previews have been generally better for their distance from the program than Munson, skolnick and co have been here.
They are getting better and we are receiving some respect as a team. But I believe a lot of our players remain under rated!

ADVERTISEMENT