ADVERTISEMENT

UL fans true colors revealed...

Bob Sienicki

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 2, 2004
Camp Verde, AZ
There is actually a precedent for what is happening this season at UL, and it happened during the 2008 season when Louisville, under Steve Kragthorpe and our own Jeff Brohm as offensive coordinator, suffered a losing season only two years removed from an Orange Bowl victory under - you guessed it - Bobby Petrino.

So, of course, Kragthorpe and his coaching staff were on the hot seat and something had to be done. And that something was when Jurich and Kragthorpe blamed Jeff and threw him under the bus by demoting him to a non-coaching position, which he refused to accept, and thereby bailed from UL to take the QB coaching position under Howard Schnellenberger at FAU, who had been Jeff's head coach when he was the QB for UL.

So here is a sampling of some of the UL fans comments about Jeff following the 2008 season meltdown (keep in mind that Jeff, then as now, was supposedly a favorite son and a valued member of the First Family of Louisville Football):

The only piece of evidence used to argue Brohm’s worth as a coach is the fact Nick Saban wanted him on his staff. That move was a calculated risk for Saban. Brohm worked under some of the true offensive geniuses in football, and there was a chance he could bring with him Petrino’s playbook. However, he had very little coaching experience with responsibility. Now, if you look at the actual results of Brohm’s coaching, there is very little that point’s to him being a good coach…

… Cantwell’s (the UL QB) mechanics never improved under Brohm. After his tenure at UofL, an elite QB coach was able to refine Cantwell’s throwing motion in a matter of weeks…

… Next, you can look at Jeff Brohm’s one year tenure at Offensive Coordinator / playcaller. It was a pedestrian effort at best.

… Whether or not Jeff Brohm is any good, you are right it is hard to tell…

… But the point isn’t that Jeff Brohm is god or is untouchable. I certainly would like to see him succeed and return here, but I want him to prove he deserves it, too…

UofL football is bigger than the Brohms. Yes, they have contributed a great deal of success for the program. And, yes, their almost selfless moves to stay home and build their favorite program is much appreciated. But, their past contributions do not give them a lifetime pass to be involved in the program, especially when their later efforts are not furthering the development of the program.

Brohm was not a good coach. Period. I don’t like Krags, but him firing Brohm is the least of my concern as it relates to our football program.

… It seems like a lot of people are talking out of both sides of their mouth: keep loyal guys like Brohm around because of their past connections, or win at all costs. Well, we are attempting to win at all costs, and Jeff was let go in the process. I for one would like to win, because that’s the name of the game. The University and team are far more important to me than a purported ‘first family.’

I have no allegiance to Jeff Brohm

… Everyone agrees that the blame belongs to Kragthorpe. But on the other side of the coin, he should be allowed to make decisions, while he’s still here, to rectify the things that have gone wrong. Getting rid of Brohm is one of them…

What's more is that after the 2009 season, when Kragthorpe was fired, Jeff Brohm, only a year removed from being UL's offensive coordinator and assistant head coach - and supposed favorite son - never got a sniff for the UL head coaching job. Instead, while snubbing Brohm, UL instead went with Charlie Strong, Florida's defensive coordinator - who, like Brohm, had never been a head coach. Some 'favorite son', huh?

So in the two years after the 2005 Orange Bowl win (where Jeff had been the QB coach since 2002 under Bobby Petrino), UL had a two year record of 11 wins and 13 losses - not unlike our current two year record of 12-10. Yet after comparable records, the Louisville media and UL fan base were up in arms - mostly against Kragthorpe, but as you can see above, more than happy to question and dump on their "favorite son." Which makes one wonder how Jeff might be treated if he returns to UL and does not go to a bowl game in his first two years.

So this is what Jeff is looking at... a fair weather fan base at UL that expects immediate gratification - OR ELSE - or staying at Purdue with a deeply appreciative fan base and athletic director that will give him every chance to succeed.

What would you do???

There is actually a precedent for what is happening this season at UL, and it happened during the 2008 season when Louisville, under Steve Kragthorpe and our own Jeff Brohm as offensive coordinator, suffered a losing season only two years removed from an Orange Bowl victory under - you guessed it - Bobby Petrino.

So, of course, Kragthorpe and his coaching staff were on the hot seat and something had to be done. And that something was when Jurich and Kragthorpe blamed Jeff and threw him under the bus by demoting him to a non-coaching position, which he refused to accept, and thereby bailed from UL to take the QB coaching position under Howard Schnellenberger at FAU, who had been Jeff's head coach when he was the QB for UL.

So here is a sampling of some of the UL fans comments about Jeff following the 2008 season meltdown (keep in mind that Jeff, then as now, was supposedly a favorite son and a valued member of the First Family of Louisville Football):

The only piece of evidence used to argue Brohm’s worth as a coach is the fact Nick Saban wanted him on his staff. That move was a calculated risk for Saban. Brohm worked under some of the true offensive geniuses in football, and there was a chance he could bring with him Petrino’s playbook. However, he had very little coaching experience with responsibility. Now, if you look at the actual results of Brohm’s coaching, there is very little that point’s to him being a good coach…

… Cantwell’s (the UL QB) mechanics never improved under Brohm. After his tenure at UofL, an elite QB coach was able to refine Cantwell’s throwing motion in a matter of weeks…

… Next, you can look at Jeff Brohm’s one year tenure at Offensive Coordinator / playcaller. It was a pedestrian effort at best.

… But the point isn’t that Jeff Brohm is god or is untouchable. I certainly would like to see him succeed and return here, but I want him to prove he deserves it, too…

UofL football is bigger than the Brohms. Yes, they have contributed a great deal of success for the program. And, yes, their almost selfless moves to stay home and build their favorite program is much appreciated. But, their past contributions do not give them a lifetime pass to be involved in the program, especially when their later efforts are not furthering the development of the program.

Brohm was not a good coach. Period. I don’t like Krags, but him firing Brohm is the least of my concern as it relates to our football program.

… It seems like a lot of people are talking out of both sides of their mouth: keep loyal guys like Brohm around because of their past connections, or win at all costs. Well, we are attempting to win at all costs, and Jeff was let go in the process. I for one would like to win, because that’s the name of the game. The University and team are far more important to me than a purported ‘first family.’

… Everyone agrees that the blame belongs to Kragthorpe. But on the other side of the coin, he should be allowed to make decisions, while he’s still here, to rectify the things that have gone wrong. Getting rid of Brohm is one of them…

What's more is that after the 2009 season, when Kragthorpe was fired, Jeff Brohm, only a year removed from being UL's offensive coordinator and assistant head coach - and supposed favorite son - never got a sniff for the UL head coaching job. Instead, while snubbing Brohm, UL instead went with Charlie Strong, Florida's defensive coordinator - who, like Brohm, had never been a head coach. Some 'favorite son', huh?

So in the two years after the 2005 Orange Bowl win (where Jeff had been the QB coach since 2002 under Bobby Petrino), UL had a two year record of 11 wins and 13 losses - not unlike our current two year record of 12-10. Yet after comparable records, the Louisville media and UL fan base were up in arms - mostly against Kragthorpe, but as you can see above, more than happy to question and dump on their "favorite son." Which makes one wonder how Jeff might be treated if he returns to UL and does not go to a bowl game in his first two years.

So this is what Jeff is looking at... a fair weather fan base at UL that expects immediate gratification - OR ELSE - or staying at Purdue with a deeply appreciative fan base and athletic director that will give him every chance to succeed.

What would you do???

Do you think we can somehow get this messaged to him Incase he has forgotten??

With all the research I have done into Jeff's former tenure at UL, I am guessing he will not need any reminding.

What has not yet been discussed - and I am still gathering information - is that Jeff's brother, Greg, also got thrown under the bus, as did Brian to a lesser degree.

Now our fair feathered friends from down I-65 will no doubt note, the animosity was essentially due to Jurich (the AD at the time) and Kragthorpe. And supposedly, now that both are gone, everything is sunshine and lollipops between UL and the Brohms.

I guess we'll see, won't we?

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Bob, you've been quite active over this. I'm sure you love Brohm like the rest of us, but do you have a substatial bet going on? Either way, appreciate the added insight.

What has not yet been discussed - and I am still gathering information - is that Jeff's brother, Greg, also got thrown under the bus, as did Brian to a lesser degree.

Now our fair feathered friends from down I-65 will no doubt note, the animosity was essentially due to Jurich (the AD at the time) and Kragthorpe. And supposedly, now that both are gone, everything is sunshine and lollipops between UL and the Brohms.

I guess we'll see, won't we?
Is it true that Greg still lives in Louisville and commutes ? That's always been the rumor and I've always found it hard to believe.

lmao, talk about cherry picking a few comments. That hardly represents what most think, and half of those comments you posted weren't the least bit insulting. The other half are the exception, not the norm.

The confirmation bias is strong with this one.

Do you think we can somehow get this messaged to him Incase he has forgotten??

Are you worried? According to you, the entire athletic department is in shambles due to corruption. The fans all knew and were "in on it" ...so why would you be so concerned with Jeff seeing these cherry picked statements?

Unless, of course, you know you're exaggerating to convince yourself Louisville is a terrible football program yet you simultaneously worry that your coach might leave to go there.

What would you do???

I'm obviously an IU fan so not sure why I'm responding but I wanted to commend you on some great research. However, none of this will matter in the end. I have very few and I mean very few sources but I do have a few in New Albany and if what I'm hearing is true Brohm to UofL is a done deal and it could go deeper than that with current recruits and players. Like I said I have very few sources, but this one has never been wrong and remember he is from New Albany so you do the research on that.

Personally I think PU is a great opportunity for Brohm and he is doing a great job, he will probably hand us our ass on a platter in two weeks, but the chance of national prominence is much quicker and easier at Louisville and that does matter along with he is from there and many see him down here all the time.

Reactions: StoopsTroops2013

What would you do???
I'd do what was best for my family and me. He wins 6 or 7 in Da' Ville, makes a bowl he's a God and owns the town. His competition is less in Louisville, his wins should be easier, and he'll lock up a lot of Midwestern kids. I'm guessing that the call of home will be a lot stronger than the opportunity of West Laffy.

Really makes you wonder why he hasn’t come out with a definitive statement announcing he has no interest in going to Louisville and that he’s staying. He could end all speculation immediately, further enhance recruiting, and create a great end of season foundation for the team (especially the seniors). He has all the control on this one, so I’m curious as to why he hasn’t knocked all this down, as he clearly could.

I'd do what was best for my family and me. He wins 6 or 7 in Da' Ville, makes a bowl he's a God and owns the town. His competition is less in Louisville, his wins should be easier, and he'll lock up a lot of Midwestern kids. I'm guessing that the call of home will be a lot stronger than the opportunity of West Laffy.
Lmao 6 wins would not make him a god at Louisville, or any college for that matter.

Really makes you wonder why he hasn’t come out with a definitive statement announcing he has no interest in going to Louisville and that he’s staying. He could end all speculation immediately, further enhance recruiting, and create a great end of season foundation for the team (especially the seniors). He has all the control on this one, so I’m curious as to why he hasn’t knocked all this down, as he clearly could.
It's great for recruiting and he knows that. Look for a top ten class next year at Purdue that is.

Did George just tweet "truth and honesty is the key brother". Maybe, he is staying! Seems to me the best DE in the country is....

What would you do???

Oh laddie, Mrs Pell would be so proud of you!

Reactions: Bob Sienicki
I'm obviously an IU fan so not sure why I'm responding but I wanted to commend you on some great research. However, none of this will matter in the end. I have very few and I mean very few sources but I do have a few in New Albany and if what I'm hearing is true Brohm to UofL is a done deal and it could go deeper than that with current recruits and players. Like I said I have very few sources, but this one has never been wrong and remember he is from New Albany so you do the research on that.

Personally I think PU is a great opportunity for Brohm and he is doing a great job, he will probably hand us our ass on a platter in two weeks, but the chance of national prominence is much quicker and easier at Louisville and that does matter along with he is from there and many see him down here all the time.
So you are saying not only is he going, all the recruits are going too. Moore will have to sit out a year and then go to Louisville. If that is the case, that info would be leaked by somebody. If the players know something, I would expect a poor performance by Purdue the last 2 games. Players will not put out for somebody leaving. I do not believe the great defensive player from WL would go to Louisville over Purdue.

Just a general statement here:

Most of the current recruits will not follow Brohm to Louisville. As an example or 2: Karlaftis will instantly flip to Michigan...Bell (if he even commits in the first place) will end up at OSU, PSU, or Iowa.

Most of the current class has better academic options other than Louisville - sorry Cards :-/

To say that this class will follow Brohm en masse to Louisville simply isn’t correct. Some - sure - but not all - and probably not the *key* ones. And keep in mind - some WILL stay committed to Purdue.

And Moore - he’s going to throw away a year of eligibility & exposure? Really?

What would you do???

Wow, that’s some serious cherry picking.

[QUOTE="fentonboiler, post: 1928600, member: 7184"

And Moore - he’s going to throw away a year of eligibility & exposure? Really?[/QUOTE]
Didn't the NCAA change the rules to allow a player to leave without sitting a year if the coach he came to play for leaves? Not sure but thought I read that somewhere.

Didn't the NCAA change the rules to allow a player to leave without sitting a year if the coach he came to play for leaves? Not sure but thought I read that somewhere.[/QUOTE]
*that* I don’t know.

I would have a hard time seeing that.

It's great for recruiting and he knows that. Look for a top ten class next year at Purdue that is.

so this implies louisville > or = purdue?

I thought that was the benefit of dragging out the Tennessee decision, then declining... since they were a big time Sec program.

Last edited:

Didn't the NCAA change the rules to allow a player to leave without sitting a year if the coach he came to play for leaves? Not sure but thought I read that somewhere.[/QUOTE]

The only place I saw that applied is when a program had a hardship such as UAB.

So you are saying not only is he going, all the recruits are going too. Moore will have to sit out a year and then go to Louisville. If that is the case, that info would be leaked by somebody. If the players know something, I would expect a poor performance by Purdue the last 2 games. Players will not put out for somebody leaving. I do not believe the great defensive player from WL would go to Louisville over Purdue.

Just what I heard, and I don't think all the recruits just the one's with Louisville ties or at least that is the way I took the conversation. I was a third party just listening, but I can assure you the source was about as well connected to the program as possible and well connected to Southern Indiana and Louisville high school football.

Again, I just sat back and listened as the argument got pretty heated. The conversation ended with the "source" so to speak telling the other gentleman he would bet him $20k that if Brohm comes to Louisville a certain player would follow? And he said the chances of Brohm coming are about 90%.

Reactions: Kentucky31

It had to due with the circumstances and you had to apply for a waiver. A coach leaving to take another job doesn't qualify for the waiver as that would be more incentive for programs to hire certain coaches as they would be bringing "X" player with them. So I believe the coach has to be fired at minimum for it to apply.

Most of the current recruits will not follow Brohm to Louisville. As an example or 2: Karlaftis will instantly flip to Michigan...Bell (if he even commits in the first place) will end up at OSU, PSU, or Iowa.

Most of the current class has better academic options other than Louisville - sorry Cards :-/

To say that this class will follow Brohm en masse to Louisville simply isn’t correct. Some - sure - but not all - and probably not the *key* ones. And keep in mind - some WILL stay committed to Purdue.

If your referring to my post, the recruit I was told was a local Louisville guy not much mention of the others. Regarding the possible transfer you mention, all I can say is that was what was said during the conversation and the individual boasting this is very very close to the situation.

All of this could not happen, but it sure sounded very convincing to the tune of one bet the other $20k it would?

Reactions: Kentucky31
What I've learned through all of this, everyone in the Louisville area thinks they are well connected and knows what is going on with the program. From my experience, the ones that are in the know, usually aren't the ones talking because they don't want to lose their access to information. If they are freely giving out info, they probably don't actually have a clue.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

I would suspect there may be a couple on offense such as Wright. Brohm also was able to get a few transfers from WKU to Purdue but going up to the Big 10 is one thing but I dont see many making a lateral move. If Brohm leaves and takes his whole coaching staff maybe a few defensive players will go. But I also think some key defensive players such as Grant, GK, and Graham still come here. A chance for immediate playing time, elite facilities, and they seemed impressed with the gameday experience and have built relationships with the current players and commits. I would suspect Doerue, Sheffield, and OL commits stay too.

Are you worried? According to you, the entire athletic department is in shambles due to corruption. The fans all knew and were "in on it" ...so why would you be so concerned with Jeff seeing these cherry picked statements?

Unless, of course, you know you're exaggerating to convince yourself Louisville is a terrible football program yet you simultaneously worry that your coach might leave to go there.

I am concerned like everyone else that a false sense of obligation might lead him come home to help. After the way the Louisville fans disparaged him and the University canned him from its OC job to a non- coaching position as a scape goat a few years ago I wouldn’t give Louisville the time of day if I were him. I’m sure not ALL Louisville fans want win at all cost and we actually have a few that visit that sound like nice people. It’s just those that find the need to to obnoxiously haunt other fan boards stirring up Cardinal excrement that give you all a bad name. Look, you have no better idea what is happening than any of us so why don’t you please just run along home to your own Board and play there....(if you need reminding how you treated CJB the last time he coached down there read some of the Cardinal Fan comments from our thread titled Remember Last Time Louisville Demoted Brohm ).

Last edited:
I am concerned like everyone else that a false sense of obligation might lead him come home to help. After the way the Louisville fans disparaged him and the University canned him from its OC job to a non- coaching position as a scape goat a few years ago I wouldn’t give Louisville the time of day if I were him. I’m sure not ALL Louisville fans want win at all cost and we actually have a few that visit that sound like nice people. It’s just those that find the need to to obnoxiously haunt other fan boards stirring up Cardinal excrement that give you all a bad name. Look, you have no better idea what is happening than any of us so why don’t you please just run along home to your own Board and play there....

As competitive as he is, and with all everything has done for that University in the past, I'm starting to think there is probably some lingering resentment towards the place. Which would explain why he was quick with the response that it wasn't his dream job. Looking at his past and things he foregoed in the past to be at Louisville, I can't help but wonder if he wasn't demoted and made the scapegoat prior, he would've turned down WKU job and followed Petrino to Louisville as the OC.

This says it all...apparently it would be a major upset if Brohm isn’t the next Louisville Coach...

Bovada has Purdue’s Jeff Brohm as heavy favorite to replace Bobby Petrino as head coach at Louisville

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ce-bobby-petrino-as-head-coach-at-louisville/

That says nothing other than where they need the odds to be to make money. And you have a lot of emotional people to the south willing to lay some money on the line based strictly on emotion.

By "has better academic options other than Louisville", I assume you mean access to Wikipedia?

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I think we, Purdue fans are getting way bent out of shape over this. JB revitalized a dead program. Because of it he is getting a lot of hype. JB has exactly 1 1/2 seasons as Purdue's head coach and is one game above .500. Danny Hope beat a highly ranked OSU and UM in his first year, loing to ND in a close one. In year 2 we again go bowling and win. Something to also consider are the injuries Hope had to contend with.
What i'm saying is Purdue, given the right coach can win in the BIG, with our without JB. He was/is the right coach for Purdue and I hate to see him leave but with a new AD and the dedicated resources to the football program I think we will be fine. Purdue has given JB everything be needs to be successful he if chooses to leave I say thank you and good bye.

What would you do???

I imagine what Brohm won’t do is dig up random online quotes from that period.

Strong was considered by everyone to be the top asst in college football who hadn’t gotten a shot at a head coach position. Brohm wasn’t at that point yet. Pretty sure if it was Purdue in the same situation, you’d have lit W. Lafayette on fire had they hired Brohm at the time.

As far as the deeply appreciative fan base of Purdue, I look forward to the next two weeks. It shouldn’t happen, and I don’t think it will, but I’d be interested to see the deep appreciation of your fanbase if you were to lose these last two games and miss a bowl

Purdue fans always need something to worry about, including myself. JB is not leaving Purdue for the Louisville job. It would have leaked by now. Our AD would be on the phones lining up another great coach and from there word spreads like wild fire. take a look at all the recruits on tweeter they know he is not leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT