ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA and USC to the B1G per report.

Right I was thinking either AZ or Cal. Cal might make more sense. Oregon has gone nationwide with the Nike support. I am not sure how big those rivalries are with Oregon St and Washington St. I never hear about it like IU/Purdue but I haven’t lived in the Pacific NW.

Apple Cup (Washington/Washington State) and Civil War (Oregon/Oregon State) are pretty big out there as is Cal/Stanford. Not quite the "heat" and "hate" of the Midwest ones but nonetheless big games.

UCLA and Cal are connected through the University of California system....they can't be happy of that split.

Reactions: indyogb and TX4GB
Apple Cup (Washington/Washington State) and Civil War (Oregon/Oregon State) are pretty big out there as is Cal/Stanford. Not quite the "heat" and "hate" of the Midwest ones but nonetheless big games.

UCLA and Cal are connected through the University of California system....they can't be happy of that split.
Rumor has it that they might be next.

I would say "nothing says 'Midwest' quite like Southern California" but I guess we waved bye-bye to that long ago. If this really happens, it would be very weird.

On the plus side, I kind of already hate UCLA, so they'll fit right in with the rest of the Big Ten. Maybe the Big Ten should add Oregon and Stanford, so my PAC-hate triumvirate will be completely assimilated.

Reactions: Purdue0023
Time to organize a beach volleyball team to compete with the SoCal teams. Compete at Indiana Beach 🏝 😂.

Hey.....don't rile up Lenny with all this "beach" talk.......and right before the holiday, too.

TGIF and safe and happy holiday to all. :)

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
Right I was thinking either AZ or Cal. Cal might make more sense. Oregon has gone nationwide with the Nike support. I am not sure how big those rivalries are with Oregon St and Washington St. I never hear about it like IU/Purdue but I haven’t lived in the Pacific NW.
I've got family out there - it's a pretty big deal, but I don't think it has quite the level of hatred of a midwestern rivalry. I think if Oregon was offered a spot in the Big Ten, at this point, they'd jump even without OSU.

P.S. I hate Oregon. Think "west coast IU", and that's pretty much them. :D

I've got family out there - it's a pretty big deal, but I don't think it has quite the level of hatred of a midwestern rivalry. I think if Oregon was offered a spot in the Big Ten, at this point, they'd jump even without OSU.

P.S. I hate Oregon. Think "west coast IU", and that's pretty much them. :D
Can you imagine if they messed up spelling on the 100 different jerseys they have? Go Orgeon.

Can you imagine if they messed up spelling on the 100 different jerseys they have? Go Orgeon.

Nobody came to me for permission either......and we cook ducks year round.....

edorgeron_3_2021.jpg

They could help "modernize" the B1G, especially in basketball. Moving towards more guard dominant play and a higher pace.

And we could get some good Bill Walton after dark moments

If this really happens, it would be very weird.
It has happened. Oh well, the B1G been connected to CA and going to the Rose Bowl for 100 years, now we just made it a part of our Conference.

The Notre Dame thing puzzles me. I know they signed a GOR w the ACC, and unless I'm mistaken they also signed something that if they ever joined a Conference for football it would have to be the ACC, but seems like everyone is still acting like they're on the table.

If Stanford comes along w us at some point, NDs 5 biggest historical rivals (save Navy) would all be B1G - MICH, USC, PU, Stanford, MSU. Maybe Stanford & ND are the final two, or maybe STAN, ND, ORE, WASH for a final 20. The BXII and PAC remainders can join together. That would be a fine Conf.

I still think ND is the big prize in all this.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It has happened. Oh well, the B1G been connected to CA and going to the Rose Bowl for 100 years, now we just made it a part of our Conference.

The Notre Dame thing puzzles me. I know they signed a GOR w the ACC, and unless I'm mistaken they also signed something that if they ever joined a Conference for football it would have to be the ACC, but seems like everyone is still acting like they're on the table.

If Stanford comes along w us at some point, NDs 5 biggest historical rivals (save Navy) would all be B1G - MICH, USC, PU, Stanford, MSU. Maybe Stanford & ND are the final two, or maybe STAN, ND, ORE, WASH for a final 20. The BXII and PAC remainders can join together. That would be a fine Conf.

I still think ND is the big prize in all this.
ND can suck it

I realize it's all about finances and long-term financial stability, among a number of factors.......but if you threw that all aside, I wouldn't mind it if someone told Notre Dame to go pound salt/sand/silica or whatever granular substance until the next Millenium.....then maybe we'll talk.

Reactions: pu1985
I realize it's all about finances and long-term financial stability, among a number of factors.......but if you threw that all aside, I wouldn't mind it if someone told Notre Dame to go pound salt/sand/silica or whatever granular substance until the next Millenium.....then maybe we'll talk.

I think that adding USC and UCLA to the B1G is a very bad idea. It is only about $$$. It has nothing to do with historic relationships; in fact it destroys them.

It is important to remember that one can sell one's soul to the Devil for a short-term gain but he always collects in the end.

I think that adding USC and UCLA to the B1G is a very bad idea. It is only about $$$. It has nothing to do with historic relationships; in fact it destroys them.

It is important to remember that one can sell one's soul to the Devil for a short-term gain but he always collects in the end.
The start of a new chapter in history. Besides, Purdue actually does have some existing history with both schools.

What's the alternative? The Big12 or SEC adding them and the B1G ends up being a second rate conference? It's all about the $$ now, and the SEC has shown their hand and the B1G is trying to keep up.

Reactions: Cleanface

arc,

Your sentiments are admirable, and conceptually I would agree with much of it......but also being a realist - those days are gone my friend......it is a new dawn with collegiate sports, and we are past the point of no return. You adapt now or you don't survive..... at least not from a competitive standpoint. JMHO

The B1G had to do this unless they wanted to become a minor league, 2nd tier conference. Like the Big 12 has become, and now the PAC 12.

UCLAs fan base is pretty apathetic at times. Pauley can’t hold a candle to Mackey. It’s quite pathetic actually. Tickets on the cheap always…
Oh I agree and understand what you are saying. SO CAL has always been pretty laid back. It is a HUGE entertainment market. Lets not forget the first game that was played at MACKEY though. Just a thought.

YUP good stuff. Don't remember but think it was a one point game? UCLA #1 at the time.. Rick Mount and no three point line. Lew Alcindor . Very first game at MACKEY with John Wooden. WOW!!

73 - 71, UCLA on a late basket. Purdue had made a late rally to tie, despite some FT woes. UCLA went on to win the NCAA title, dropping just one game all season, and of course, the two teams met in the NCAA final the following season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT