ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA and USC to the B1G per report.

I really do not see this happening. I see it is more like clickbait.

UCLA and USC are long-time members of the now PAC-12. They are academically strong and storied athletic programs in that conference. The only way that I can see this happening is if the PAC-12 were to totally dissolve and I do not think that is highly probable.

One could point out that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving the BIG-12 for the SEC so the UCLA/USC move is not out of the question. That is fair. However, the geographical differences for travel are very different in comparing the two moves.

I suspect that given the size and viewership of the metro LA population, UCLA and USC are looking for a larger piece of the tv pie that the PAC-12 gets compared to the other members. Remember, Texas was very vocal about shares of the BIG-12 money and started its own network so it did not have to share as much. I think that this play is far more likely.

Reactions: rgarlitz
CBS Sports has it on the front page.

I don't know. I guess it could be kind of cool, making some regular trips to the West Coast. There was a time when it was very common for B1G teams to face Pac-12 teams in September. I guess it would be fun to see Purdue play UCLA in basketball regularly.

On the other hand, though, this seems like a real stretch for everything except football and basketball. Do these LA-based schools really want to fly their Olympic sports teams all over the Midwest? Do they want to play baseball in Ann Arbor in March?

Seems like the 2 conferences would merge. Maybe take 4 more schools: Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Stanford.

Reactions: Purdue80
The more I think about it, the more this appears to be a good thing ONLY if everyone is committed to maintaining the Big 10. I could also see see this as a first step toward a national super conference that ultimately leaves Purdue behind.

They might not matchup academically but does that matter now?
UNC would (despite a couple of recent scandals). Those other two, not so much.

When I used to pick up my wife at UNC, I would always park next to a space labeled: Nobel Prize Winner only.

Reactions: TX4GB
To much travel time to make sense but all the major conferences will be looking to do things similar in a new age of college sports

American Top 40, commissioner Casey Kasem.

yXn7yL.gif

and Vice Commissioner......Zoinks.

OrangeImprobableGodwit-size_restricted.gif

That's a good list. Adding 2-4 more highly qualified West Coast schools (for a total of 4-6) would greatly help with scheduling and travel as well. And getting into the TV markets in the Bay Area, AZ, and the NW might further strengthen the B1G's TV rights negotiating leverage.
Seems like the 2 conferences would merge. Maybe take 4 more schools: Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Stanford.

Direct flights with school aircraft make that trip pretty simple...
Certainly. But every sport multiple times each year?

It won't be too bad for Purdue and most current B1G schools. We're looking at, what, 3-5 West Coast trips each year? Definitely at least one basketball trip, probably volleyball and at least a couple Olympic sports. Football a couple times each decade sound about right?

But those LA schools are going to travel a lot, even if the league comes up with Hawaii-like scheduling, which I assume it will.

Reactions: indyogb
Certainly. But every sport multiple times each year?

It won't be too bad for Purdue and most current B1G schools. We're looking at, what, 3-5 West Coast trips each year? Definitely at least one basketball trip, probably volleyball and at least a couple Olympic sports. Football a couple times each decade sound about right?

But those LA schools are going to travel a lot, even if the league comes up with Hawaii-like scheduling, which I assume it will.

Don't think those 4 are all going to abandon their biggest rivals. I would take Stanford and Cal though.
Anyway that seemed to happen quickly and out of nowhere.

Don't think those 4 are all going to abandon their biggest rivals. I would take Stanford and Cal though.
Right I was thinking either AZ or Cal. Cal might make more sense. Oregon has gone nationwide with the Nike support. I am not sure how big those rivalries are with Oregon St and Washington St. I never hear about it like IU/Purdue but I haven’t lived in the Pacific NW.

Can’t wait for all the fans going to the B1G Tournament at the Staples Center!

Just a money grab and yet another nail in the coffin of traditional college sports.

I’d happily abandon IU if switching conferences benefited Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT