ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA and IU

The freshmen were on the floor in the second half when they took the lead after being down 5-7 points the entire half. Watch the section where the lead went from 7 to Purdue lead.
The frosh, Haarms and Eastern were all part of that run during the last 10 minutes. You don’t have a single player in your team that has played at that level and Purdue has 6 who not only played, they played well, against the champs.

Must be tough coming off three years of no tourney, watching Purdue win championships.

So tell us. Who are your shooters on this better than Purdue roster?
So the freshmen happened to be on the court when Carsen was going off? Our returning players may not have had a close loss against the champs, but they did beat a final 4 team twice, including on the road.

You lost 77% of your made 3s from last year's team. Eric Hunter was one of the worst big ten guards at shooting. Nojel Eastern isnt capable of hitting a 3. Sasha and Wheeler are the only two returning players on your team capable of hitting a 3 consistently.

So the freshmen happened to be on the court when Carsen was going off? Our returning players may not have had a close loss against the champs, but they did beat a final 4 team twice, including on the road.

You lost 77% of your made 3s from last year's team. Eric Hunter was one of the worst big ten guards at shooting. Nojel Eastern isnt capable of hitting a 3. Sasha and Wheeler are the only two returning players on your team capable of hitting a 3 consistently.
Happens to be on the court? Tre has a couple of timely baskets and rebounds, Hunter Jr had a steal for a breakaway layup. Wheels had several timely baskets as well as rebounds. Sasha played strong defense and can drain shots. Haarms had a few timely blocks on that period as well as a couple of baskets. Eastern had a few buckets during that period, mostly after a rebound and we all know he is a better defender than anyone you have. All coming back.

I’m still waiting to hear about any shooters on your team. We also beat that final four team and didn’t need double digit missed free throws to do it.

Maybe work on beating Penn State before you even try to compare your team to the defending champs.

Happens to be on the court? Tre has a couple of timely baskets and rebounds, Hunter Jr had a steal for a breakaway layup. Wheels had several timely baskets as well as rebounds. Sasha played strong defense and can drain shots. Haarms had a few timely blocks on that period as well as a couple of baskets. Eastern had a few buckets during that period, mostly after a rebound and we all know he is a better defender than anyone you have. All coming back.

I’m still waiting to hear about any shooters on your team. We also beat that final four team and didn’t need double digit missed free throws to do it.

Maybe work on beating Penn State before you even try to compare your team to the defending champs.
You did beat that final 4 team... at home. You got pounded on the road.

Yea, Sasha played great defense in that 1 minute he played.

Since you are asking about shooters, who would you say is the best shooter on either team? Hint: it's the guy who had the best percentage and most attempts of any player on both teams.

Why bother?

A) He’s had one recruiting class at Indiana so there’s no way to physically prove what’s being asked one way or another

B) He took a mid-major to the NCAA tournament in 4 consecutive years as an at-large bid.

The guy can coach and build a program. He hasn’t had his due time to get multiple classes of HIS guys in place. Anything pertaining to whether or not Archie is able to restore Indiana is at least another year or two down the road.
Tell that to Victor bear

You did beat that final 4 team... at home. You got pounded on the road.

Yea, Sasha played great defense in that 1 minute he played.

Since you are asking about shooters, who would you say is the best shooter on either team? Hint: it's the guy who had the best percentage and most attempts of any player on both teams.
More minutes more production. Sasha Aaron Eric Tre Evan all have playing in game experience with each now getting more minutes a game probably 2/3 of them getting starters minutes trust and believe there production scoring wise will rise considerably Nojel Cline and Haarms show proof of that. This team still will be contenders to get to a natl championship book it. All got a taste of what a few seconds felt like from being in the final 4 that will be all there focus in the off season coming into the season trying to finish what this team did not. Shooters they still have plenty of them I’ll say it again more min more production team still gonna be dangerous next season.

I'm from a trailer, but you can't spell "here".

I have only commented in IU threads on this board.
Clearly a typo thanks to auto-correct. Doesn't change the context of my message.

Quit obsessing over us and head on back to redneckville where you belong. You longing for our approval is truly embarrassing for you.

Clearly a typo thanks to auto-correct. Doesn't change the context of my message.

Quit obsessing over us and head on back to redneckville where you belong. You longing for our approval is truly embarrassing for you.
Again, I've only commented on IU threads. If you dont want me here, don't start thread after thread about our team.

Oh man I'm so embarrassed. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. All I wanted was your approval...:rolleyes:.

Again, I've only commented on IU threads. If you dont want me here, don't start thread after thread about our team.

Oh man I'm so embarrassed. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. All I wanted was your approval...:rolleyes:.
The obsession and need of our approval is strong with you.

I mean only way for you to know that any IU threads are started on this forum is if you come here in the first place. Again, obsessing about what we have to say.

I mean only way for you to know that any IU threads are started on this forum is if you come here in the first place. Again, obsessing about what we have to say.
I'm very obsessed with what you have to say. I can't imagine waking up in the morning, and not knowing what you think about me or IU basketball. I'm not sure I could function if I didn't know.

I'm not going to ban the two IU posters who have posted in this thread because they haven't done anything wrong. Doesn't mean we can't simply ignore their presence. I refuse to turn this board in to a Peeg's/IU board type of dictatorship/circle-you know what when it comes to opposing fans and opinions...but ignoring them and choosing to not respond go much further than asking for them to be banned as they can just create name after name any way.

Just the two cents fro the Mod here...

IU won two national titles before Bob Knight ever set foot in Bloomington. Try again.

Bullshit, iu won 2 ncaa tournaments before Knight when it was the equivalent of today’s nit tourney.

It is stupid to call them national titles. Face it, our Helms title is more legit than your first two banners. Iu is a 1 trick pony and he was fired 20 years ago

I'm not going to ban the two IU posters who have posted in this thread because they haven't done anything wrong. Doesn't mean we can't simply ignore their presence. I refuse to turn this board in to a Peeg's/IU board type of dictatorship/circle-you know what when it comes to opposing fans and opinions...but ignoring them and choosing to not respond go much further than asking for them to be banned as they can just create name after name any way.

I appreciate this response/stance. Ideally I'd just like to have a nice conversation/debate about IU/Purdue. I've kept my stronger opinions in threads that are IU related topics.

Have a nice day.

I agree. Sometimes it is okay to talk a little smack with your rival (or in this case our old rival, with MSU being our most current rival).

The trolls who come on and post sexual or strictly derogatory stuff are out of here, of course.

:cool:

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Our starting 5 next year is better than yours and so are the first few of the bench. Phin, Green, Hunter, Davis, and Davis starting. Smith, Al, Thompson, and Anderson coming in off the bench and I’m sure he’ll add a guy or two. That’s not a final 4 team but it’s decent as long as they’re healthy.

Care for a bet on who finishes higher in BIG? 200 to the charity of your choice?

Bullshit, iu won 2 ncaa tournaments before Knight when it was the equivalent of today’s nit tourney.

It is stupid to call them national titles. Face it, our Helms title is more legit than your first two banners. Iu is a 1 trick pony and he was fired 20 years ago

Are they still national titles or no? Gonna discredit 10 of UCLA's 11 titles because only 25 teams made the field and and the top seeds got byes? Purdue would KILL for a single national title regardless if it was in the 40s, 50s, or now.

Are they still national titles or no? Gonna discredit 10 of UCLA's 11 titles because only 25 teams made the field and and the top seeds got byes? Purdue would KILL for a single national title regardless if it was in the 40s, 50s, or now.
We have one. 1932. And we didn’t even have to kill for it. And we also realize it has zero relevance to our current team and dominant record over IU this decade.

Why do you need our approval so badly?

Why do you need our approval so badly?

Is this your only go to? Once again, like I said last night, you people from Purdue are constantly starting threads about IU, ON A PURDUE FORUM. I don't need your approval to know that Indiana is the more respected basketball program by the national pundits. Purdue enjoyed arguably their greatest 3 year run in program history and it didn't push the needle an inch in terms of the national landscape. These threads are desperate attempts at validation as to why Purdue doesn't get respect, and tearing down IU is the only thing you can do. You constantly pump your chest about how Purdue is the superior program, yet constantly bitch about how inferior you are.

Is this your only go to? Once again, like I said last night, you people from Purdue are constantly starting threads about IU, ON A PURDUE FORUM. I don't need your approval to know that Indiana is the more respected basketball program by the national pundits. Purdue enjoyed arguably their greatest 3 year run in program history and it didn't push the needle an inch in terms of the national landscape. These threads are desperate attempts at validation as to why Purdue doesn't get respect, and tearing down IU is the only thing you can do. You constantly pump your chest about how Purdue is the superior program, yet constantly bitch about how inferior you are.
You could not be more wrong with respect to your assessment of how the programs are viewed nationally...in large part because only one of them has been remotely relevant nationally for much of the past decade (and, newsflash (again), it is not IU).

Nobody needs to tear down IU...they did that on their own with their own incompetence. They were willing to sell their sole and sacrifice all credibility by letting Bob Knight all but run the University...and justified it while he was winning, then tried to ignore it when he was not.

If you don't think people respect Purdue and it's program right now nationally more than IU's, you are more delusional even than you have lead on to this point.

Purdue has had two coaches in the past 40 years...because both have integrity, both run a clean program, both graduate kids while winning basketball games, and, bonus, BOTH KICK(ED) IU"s ASS ON A CONSISTENT AND REGULAR BASIS.

You could not be more wrong with respect to your assessment of how the programs are viewed nationally...in large part because only one of them has been remotely relevant nationally for much of the past decade (and, newsflash (again), it is not IU).

Nobody needs to tear down IU...they did that on their own with their own incompetence. They were willing to sell their sole and sacrifice all credibility by letting Bob Knight all but run the University...and justified it while he was winning, then tried to ignore it when he was not.

If you don't think people respect Purdue and it's program right now nationally more than IU's, you are more delusional even than you have lead on to this point.

Purdue has had two coaches in the past 40 years...because both have integrity, both run a clean program, both graduate kids while winning basketball games, and, bonus, BOTH KICK(ED) IU"s ASS ON A CONSISTENT AND REGULAR BASIS.

They haven't consistently kicked IU's ass on the court. In my lifetime (born in 76), IU has a better H2H record, more Big Ten titles, more tourney appearances, more Sweet 16's, more Elite 8's, more Final Four's, and most importantly more national titles. I'm not wrong about anything. You guys have been the better program the last 5 years and I give credit where credit is due, there's no denying that. I actually respect the program Painter has built, but it's ass hat fans like yourself who act like 5 years defines a program.

They haven't consistently kicked IU's ass on the court. In my lifetime (born in 76), IU has a better H2H record, more Big Ten titles, more tourney appearances, more Sweet 16's, more Elite 8's, more Final Four's, and most importantly more national titles. I'm not wrong about anything. You guys have been the better program the last 5 years and I give credit where credit is due, there's no denying that. I actually respect the program Painter has built, but it's ass hat fans like yourself who act like 5 years defines a program.
I was born in 1891. We’ve consistently kicked your a$$ since then.

Let's bring this thread back to the most interesting part. Let's discuss our older rival. ...or perhaps you would like to have a spelling contest?

This is the current thinking of many IU fans:
Our starting 5 next year is better than yours and so are the first few of the bench. Phin, Green, Hunter, Davis, and Davis starting. Smith, Al, Thompson, and Anderson coming in off the bench and I’m sure he’ll add a guy or two. That’s not a final 4 team but it’s decent as long as they’re healthy.
The good part about this is that at least there is hope for a more balanced team. One with five viable players, playing in position. Next year's IU team should be better than this year's version, if for no other reason than the chemistry will be better and the freshmen will become sophomores.

The bad part here is that other than Phinesee, not many of these guys are inexperienced or not all that skilled. I might have to eat my words here, but I am will to state my opinion anyway.

First, Hunter might not ever play again, so I don't think he will be a starter next year, and even if he comes back, he will be out of shape and inexperienced. Thomson might have the same issue. These guys are probably a year out from being strong contributors to the team.

Second: Davis & Davis is not going to scare many front courts with their size and scoring ability. Sorry, but most BIG Center and PF combos will eat lunch in the paint when playing IU.

Third: who is going to shoot threes? Anderson who couldn't get off the bench last year? I see this as a continuing weakness for IU. I don't think any of the incoming freshmen are going to solve this, even if they play at the college level from day 1.

With Morgan and Langford gone, I think IU will struggle to score. Now, the same question can be asked of the 2019 version of the Boilermakers without Carsen and Cline. However, Purdue has other proven three point shooters in Stefanovic and Wheeler. I don't bank on freshmen solving major roster flaws so I won't cite Newman's sharp shooting capabilities.

I am sure you relished watching that '76 title and '81 game (which is the biggest problem with you and virtually all other IU fans...you live in the past and on the past despite not even remembering the past).

Purdue has DOMINATED IU historically, recently, and, in between for that matter. In fact, in both '81 and '87 when IU did ultimately win a National Championship, Purdue beat them.

Gene Keady had more success against IU/Bob Knight than any other coach, and, consistently beat them...Matt Painter's record is even better.

So, continue to ignore reality (that IU is irrelevant nationally, and, an afterthought even in the conference...and, that while Purdue has not just been superior for 5 years, but, more superior than IU literally EVER has been in the history of the rivalry) as you wish...it is the epitome of the delusion of the IU fanbase...chase coaches away...chase players away...and, ultimately, continue to chase any semblance of respect for the PAST history of the program away while doing so.

a_broken_record_5000_by_yotrailmix-d303uk7.jpg

Oh that’s perfect!!!

I am sure you relished watching that '76 title and '81 game (which is the biggest problem with you and virtually all other IU fans...you live in the past and on the past despite not even remembering the past).

Purdue has DOMINATED IU historically, recently, and, in between for that matter. In fact, in both '81 and '87 when IU did ultimately win a National Championship, Purdue beat them.

Gene Keady had more success against IU/Bob Knight than any other coach, and, consistently beat them...Matt Painter's record is even better.

So, continue to ignore reality (that IU is irrelevant nationally, and, an afterthought even in the conference...and, that while Purdue has not just been superior for 5 years, but, more superior than IU literally EVER has been in the history of the rivalry) as you wish...it is the epitome of the delusion of the IU fanbase...chase coaches away...chase players away...and, ultimately, continue to chase any semblance of respect for the PAST history of the program away while doing so.

You can’t call a team nationally irrelevant when you’re debating on whether or not they’re a blue-blood. The joke is on you. The fact that a Purdue fan had to start a thread on a Purdue forum to declare that Indiana, and UCLA for that matter, are no longer blue-bloods is the definition of an inferiority complex. The fact of the matter is that is Purdue is nowhere near as nationally recognized as Indiana.

Gene Keady won one more game than Bob Knight. That is nowhere near “consistently” beating IU. If calling a 21-20 H2H record consistently beating then you also have to say they consistently lost correct? For as much as Purdue alums love to punch their chest on the internet about how much smarter they are than everybody, you do have an odd way of showing it.

You can’t call a team nationally irrelevant when you’re debating on whether or not they’re a blue-blood. The joke is on you. The fact that a Purdue fan had to start a thread on a Purdue forum to declare that Indiana, and UCLA for that matter, are no longer blue-bloods is the definition of an inferiority complex. The fact of the matter is that is Purdue is nowhere near as nationally recognized as Indiana.

Gene Keady won one more game than Bob Knight. That is nowhere near “consistently” beating IU. If calling a 21-20 H2H record consistently beating then you also have to say they consistently lost correct? For as much as Purdue alums love to punch their chest on the internet about how much smarter they are than everybody, you do have an odd way of showing it.
No, I am not debating it...I have clearly stated (as have others in this thread) that THEY ARE NOT A BLUE-BLOOD...there is no debate, it is fact...supported by their national irrelevance.

Let's bring this thread back to the most interesting part. Let's discuss our older rival. ...or perhaps you would like to have a spelling contest?

The good part about this is that at least there is hope for a more balanced team. One with five viable players, playing in position. Next year's IU team should be better than this year's version, if for no other reason than the chemistry will be better and the freshmen will become sophomores.

The bad part here is that other than Phinesee, not many of these guys are inexperienced or not all that skilled. I might have to eat my words here, but I am will to state my opinion anyway.

First, Hunter might not ever play again, so I don't think he will be a starter next year, and even if he comes back, he will be out of shape and inexperienced. Thomson might have the same issue. These guys are probably a year out from being strong contributors to the team.

Second: Davis & Davis is not going to scare many front courts with their size and scoring ability. Sorry, but most BIG Center and PF combos will eat lunch in the paint when playing IU.

Third: who is going to shoot threes? Anderson who couldn't get off the bench last year? I see this as a continuing weakness for IU. I don't think any of the incoming freshmen are going to solve this, even if they play at the college level from day 1.

With Morgan and Langford gone, I think IU will struggle to score. Now, the same question can be asked of the 2019 version of the Boilermakers without Carsen and Cline. However, Purdue has other proven three point shooters in Stefanovic and Wheeler. I don't bank on freshmen solving major roster flaws so I won't cite Newman's sharp shooting capabilities.

First you don’t know that. There’s no indication he won’t play.

Second. D Davis shot a whopping 60% from the field. He’s extremely efficient when healthy. TJD is a 5* recruit offered by just about every team in the country. I would say Indiana is going to have one of the best front courts in the conference, certainly not one where their lunch is stolen.

Third. Who is going to shoot 3’s? I don’t know, maybe the guy who shot 41% from 3 last year, Devonte Green. Al Durham who went from a 28% 3pt shooter to a 36% 3 point shooter from freshman to sophomore year.

No, I am not debating it...I have clearly stated (as have others in this thread) that THEY ARE NOT A BLUE-BLOOD...there is no debate, it is fact...supported by their national irrelevance.

Yeah their national irrelevance. Considering they’re one of the most nationally branded programs in the country in terms of revenue, marketability, and exposure. There’s a reason why IU always draws Duke or UNC on prime time television in the ACC/B10 challenge and Purdue plays Florida State on ESPN2. There’s a reason why top flight recruits and McDonald’s AA still come to IU. There’s a reason for all this and it’s because IU is still a nationally recognized basketball program ie Blue-Blood and reason why Purdue isn’t. It’s because nobody outside Purdue cares about Purdue.

So you aren't going to do your job here then. Got it. They are frequently turning threads in to crap and this whole thing is just evidence of it.

And what a good practice calling me out for reporting them, really shows what type of a "mod" you are. No wonder this forum sucks. Which I fully expect will get me banned for calling you on bringing this public, but don't care. It only proves my point.

Last edited:
Yeah their national irrelevance. Considering they’re one of the most nationally branded programs in the country in terms of revenue, marketability, and exposure. There’s a reason why IU always draws Duke or UNC on prime time television in the ACC/B10 challenge and Purdue plays Florida State on ESPN2. There’s a reason why top flight recruits and McDonald’s AA still come to IU. There’s a reason for all this and it’s because IU is still a nationally recognized basketball program ie Blue-Blood and reason why Purdue isn’t. It’s because nobody outside Purdue cares about Purdue.
Only because so many dumbasses continue to buy clown-striped pajama pants and waste money based on dreams of the past while ignoring the irrelevance that is presently.

You are right...there is a reason that IU "always" draws Duke/UNC...it is because one of those other two programs is indeed relevant, while the other just has (as already established) a bunch of clowns (such as yourself) wishing that they were, only to get shown just how much they are not.

It has nothing at all to do with being a blue-blood, largely BECAUSE IU is NOT A BLUE-BLOOD program.

I could not care less what channel Purdue is on or who they play in the staged event, any more than I care what channel they play on during the season when they beat IU (as they repeatedly have), or what channel they play on during the NCAA tournament (as I know regardless that I don't have to check what night or channel that the NIT is on).

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I could not care less what channel Purdue is on or who they play in the staged event, any more than I care what channel they play on during the season when they beat IU (as they repeatedly have), or what channel they play on during the NCAA tournament (as I know regardless that I don't have to check what night or channel that the NIT is on).

Exactly because no one cares about Purdue. But there are people that care about IU and that’s why they’re constantly nationally televised. It’s because IU is a nationally recognized program. I wouldn’t expect a Purdue fan to understand this.

I'll do my best to answer your questions below. *Thank you for seemingly being willing to discuss*

Hunter/Thompson:

I agree that Hunter is a big question mark, and penciling him as a big time contributor from day 1 is risky. This is the reason I've said many times in this thread that the 3 spot is my biggest concern. If Hunter is unable to go, we likely start Durham at the 3 with more of a 3 guard lineup.

As far as Race Thompson, I dont anticipate there being any fear he may be unable to play. He was healthy enough down the stretch last year, and was limited so he would still qualify for a medical redshirt (this wont be requested until after his redshirt senior year). In theory, he should be a 3rd year freshman in the fall. He will likely still be the 5th option in the frontcourt behind starters TJD/Davis, and their backups Smith/Brunk (assuming we get him).

IU's front line:

I dont share your same concerns with IU's front line. While young, TJD should be able to hold his own against any front court player in the B1G as a 5* player. I've provided stats for the past B1G 5* front court players previously that seem to back up this assertion.

Deron Davis will be a senior that should (*knocks on wood*) have an entire offseason of being healthy to work on his game/body. He is already big and strong enough to bang with B1G bigs in the paint. Prior to his Achilles injury he was averaging 10/4/1.5, and this is around where I expect him to be this year.

Their backups (Smith, Brunk, Thompson) should be fine as well. Smith has B1G starter experience (although not great), so he knows what it takes to play in the B1G. Brunk was okay in limited minutes at Butler. If anything, he provides a big/strong body to go against other B1G bigs. He's also shown the ability to score at a very efficient rate. I would expect him to be around 5 ppg (not great, but solid for a backup). Race will be called upon in foul trouble situations. I dont anticipate he has a big role this year if Brunk commits.

IU's shooting:

You ask who will shoot 3s for us, but then fail to mention the guy who shot 41% on 117 attempts (Devonte Green). IU returns Green (41%) and Durham (35%). You mentioned Sasha (41%) and Wheeler (37%) as shooters Purdue has returning, but fail to acknowledge the 2 IU has returning who attempted significantly more shots.

The other returning potential shooters are Phinisee (31%) and Andersen (23%). I would expect both of those numbers to go up, just as I'm sure you expect Eric Hunter's numbers (22%) to go up.

As a light comparison looking at the top 3 returning shooters on both teams, their combined makes and percentages are as follows:

RP/Green/Durham: 115/319(36%)
Hunter/Sasha/Wheeler: 66/192(34%)

Conclusion:

I have no idea which team will be better. I have no idea which team will be the better 3pt shooting team. I would assume both finish somewhere middle of the pack in the B1G, but that could be wrong as well. We will have to wait and see.

home_run.jpg

Good GRIEF you people are desperate for approval.

Exactly because no one cares about Purdue. But there are people that care about IU and that’s why they’re constantly nationally televised. It’s because IU is a nationally recognized program. I wouldn’t expect a Purdue fan to understand this.
So I have been perusing this forum for a while now and finally have to step up and say something. The only people that care that much about IU are IU fans, sorry the allure is just not there anymore.

And using the whole television is pretty weak. Every game can be watched on some channel. I watched every Purdue game last season either on an ESPN channel or B1G network.

Now you're trolling like McNutt is and I am sure I am going to regret my first venture on to this forum is to correct you. But, you're easily ignored so do what you will but the truth shall set you free!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT