ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA and IU

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I read the following article about UCLA basketball and the first few paragraphs made me think about Indiana University when it comes to living on past glories.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mick-cronin-ucla-basketball-identity-20190409-story.html

This prompted the following reflection:

"Trying to recreate a past glory is an exercise in futility. In fact, it’s impossible since creation flows in only one direction; towards the future. It may be possible to recreate a future glory similar to a past one, but it will never be the same thing. Besides, by focusing on the instant gratification of reviving a past glory, the gradient steps which brought the past glory about tend to be ignored, thus decreasing the likelihood of obtaining any similar future goal. In other words, you can’t create the future by living in the past."

Maybe the UCLA fan base is starting to get it. I doubt if IU's ever does.

A really poor hire by UCLA! It's hard to believe they started with offering the job to Calipari and ended up with Cincy's coach! He's not even a young and up and coming coach. And his style is nothing like UCLA fans are accustomed to. How the mighty have fallen.

Reactions: DAG10
Could you be more of a douche? IU had a bad year mostly due to injuries. Their team next year has talent and we’ll see what’s added. If they stay healthy next year and don’t do anything then they’ll hire someone else. They still have the fan base unlike UCLA. IU’s current administration doesn’t help things either but they’re not in as bad of shape as you’re making them out to be. I don’t think UCLA is either. They still recruit well. That deal in China set that team back years since they lost 3 four star players because of it. I’m willing to give Archie another year maybe two to see what he can do and honestly I think he’ll be fine.
a_broken_record_5000_by_yotrailmix-d303uk7.jpg

Could you be more of a douche? IU had a bad year mostly due to injuries. Their team next year has talent and we’ll see what’s added. If they stay healthy next year and don’t do anything then they’ll hire someone else. They still have the fan base unlike UCLA. IU’s current administration doesn’t help things either but they’re not in as bad of shape as you’re making them out to be. I don’t think UCLA is either. They still recruit well. That deal in China set that team back years since they lost 3 four star players because of it. I’m willing to give Archie another year maybe two to see what he can do and honestly I think he’ll be fine.

your response shows you don't get it.

Nowhere was it said IU is in "bad shape."

"Fans" like you have been saying "(IU will) be fine" for years.

mmmmkay.

"Injuries" is an excuse. Every program gets injuries. That wasn't what made IU so painful to watch this year. I know IU fans have a love/hate with Dakich, but "injuries" wasn't what caused people like Dakich to go off on IU all year.

As an "outsider," it's interesting to watch what's going on with your program right now. The culture/mood/status of your program isn't because IU lost some 3-star player to an injury.

mmmmkay.

"Injuries" is an excuse. Every program gets injuries. That wasn't what made IU so painful to watch this year. I know IU fans have a love/hate with Dakich, but "injuries" wasn't what caused people like Dakich to go off on IU all year.

As an "outsider," it's interesting to watch what's going on with your program right now. The culture/mood/status of your program isn't because IU lost some 3-star player to an injury.
This. Don’t come on a PURDUE board, of all places, and whine about injuries!

NO ONE CARES!!!

mmmmkay.

I agree that injuries aren't an excuse and it's how you deal with adversity, but to be fair, it wasn't just one 3 star player that IU had injured. We now know Romeo played with torn ligaments in his shooting hand since the end of November. Now that doesn't excuse him taking plays off or not giving 100% effort, but it did impact his outside shooting. IU was without Rob Phinisee for over a month due to being in concussion protocol and it took almost 2 months before he was back in game shape. I think you saw what a difference IU looked like with a healthy Phinisee and a Phinisee that wasn't on the floor/playing limited minutes while trying to get back in game shape. IU was without Green for 3 game stretch where they lost 3 games including Rutgers and Northwestern. De'Ron Davis missed 4 or 5 games to injury. Race Thompson was a 4* top 100 recruit who was only available for 6 games this year and Jerome Hunter a top 50 recruit didn't play a minute this year.

If anything, injuries prevented Archie from ever finding a consistent rotation. Doesn't excuse losing 12 of 13 which really doomed IU's season, but having a guy one game but not the next and so on and so on throughout the season is tough on a coach and a relatively young team still getting acclimated.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I'm willing to give Lil' Arch as many years as it takes. He's not going to take IU back to the promised land, and he's not a good enough coach to win a National Title which....if IU really is still a Blue Blood...should be the only way he keeps his job. Keep him....because I see Crean Light.

Reactions: DAG10 and milkdude
I agree that injuries aren't an excuse and it's how you deal with adversity, but to be fair, it wasn't just one 3 star player that IU had injured. We now know Romeo played with torn ligaments in his shooting hand since the end of November. Now that doesn't excuse him taking plays off or not giving 100% effort, but it did impact his outside shooting. IU was without Rob Phinisee for over a month due to being in concussion protocol and it took almost 2 months before he was back in game shape. I think you saw what a difference IU looked like with a healthy Phinisee and a Phinisee that wasn't on the floor/playing limited minutes while trying to get back in game shape. IU was without Green for 3 game stretch where they lost 3 games including Rutgers and Northwestern. De'Ron Davis missed 4 or 5 games to injury. Race Thompson was a 4* top 100 recruit who was only available for 6 games this year and Jerome Hunter a top 50 recruit didn't play a minute this year.

If anything, injuries prevented Archie from ever finding a consistent rotation. Doesn't excuse losing 12 of 13 which really doomed IU's season, but having a guy one game but not the next and so on and so on throughout the season is tough on a coach and a relatively young team still getting acclimated.
Edwards played with a bad back....but he continued to play.

Edwards played with a bad back....but he continued to play.

Awful example. There's a difference in being hurt and injured. Having a bad back is different than being in concussion protocol. You aren't medically cleared while in concussion protocol. Romeo had torn ligaments in his hand and still played and still averaged 17 points a game, but he really struggled with his outside shot. Having blood clots in your leg is also an example of being injured. You can't physically play. Please tell me you recognize the difference between hurt and injured?

Awful example. There's a difference in being hurt and injured. Having a bad back is different than being in concussion protocol. You aren't medically cleared while in concussion protocol. Romeo had torn ligaments in his hand and still played and still averaged 17 points a game, but he really struggled with his outside shot. Having blood clots in your leg is also an example of being injured. You can't physically play. Please tell me you recognize the difference between hurt and injured?
You and the other fellow with the ban-count on the end of his name don't get it. You want to tell us all about this year and injuries, players' girlfriends, etc. Wrong thread.

It's not about the players! The OP was talking about the fans. Get it? It was about how long-past glories set up expectations in the fan base that are unrealistic. John Wooden and Bobby Knight aren't coming back, and their present day replacements are not going to meet the wild expectations of their fan base.

:cool:

You and the other fellow with the ban-count on the end of his name don't get it. You want to tell us all about this year and injuries, players' girlfriends, etc. Wrong thread.

It's not about the players! The OP was talking about the fans. Get it? It was about how long-past glories set up expectations in the fan base that are unrealistic. John Wooden and Bobby Knight aren't coming back, and their present day replacements are not going to meet the wild expectations of their fan base.

what about the fans? The day IU lowers its national expectations is the day I stop becoming a fan. I don't care how delusional the fan base may be, I'd rather have a fan base that expects national results than one of apathy. Good for IU and UCLA for demanding more.

mmmmkay.

They were decent not that long ago. I expect Archie to get it going this year. Rome wasn’t built in a day

“WE’RE BACK..........with more excuses”

And as long as Indiana continues to land top flight recruits and are committed to putting out a winning product (money, facilities, fan support, etc) Indiana is one coach away from returning. Now will that happen? I don't know, but to say IU can't return to glory isn't accurate. There's only X amount of basketball programs in the country that have the resources, the support, and the ability to attract top level talent and Indiana is absolutely one of those programs and it will be that way forever. Indiana University has too rich of a basketball history for the fans and the administrators to stop caring.

what about the fans? The day IU lowers its national expectations is the day I stop becoming a fan. I don't care how delusional the fan base may be, I'd rather have a fan base that expects national results than one of apathy. Good for IU and UCLA for demanding more.
Well to be fair, the “N” in NIT does stand for “National” so I guess I’m aligned on your expectations.

And as long as Indiana continues to land top flight recruits and are committed to putting out a winning product (money, facilities, fan support, etc) Indiana is one coach away from returning. Now will that happen? I don't know, but to say IU can't return to glory isn't accurate. There's only X amount of basketball programs in the country that have the resources, the support, and the ability to attract top level talent and Indiana is absolutely one of those programs and it will be that way forever. Indiana University has too rich of a basketball history for the fans and the administrators to stop caring.
Yes, Indiana is getting some very nice players. What you miss is that almost every team in the BIG is getting the same or better. Getting good recruits is the price of admission, as they say. It does not portent to IU rising from the ashes of an NIT flame out.

I have yet to see your coach recruit players that will make up a team. Last year he got lots of "top flight talent" but did not recruit post players or shooters. I see the same actions this year. You guys are certainly winning the press conferences and the recruiting polls. Good luck winning league games consistently.

However, every time you guys beat MSU, I applaud! Keep up that string!

Yes, Indiana is getting some very nice players. What you miss is that almost every team in the BIG is getting the same or better. Getting good recruits is the price of admission, as they say. It does not portent to IU rising from the ashes of an NIT flame out.

I have yet to see your coach recruit players that will make up a team. Last year he got lots of "top flight talent" but did not recruit post players or shooters. I see the same actions this year. You guys are certainly winning the press conferences and the recruiting polls. Good luck winning league games consistently.

And that's why coaches are given more than 1 year and aren't judged off a single class and how they perform as freshman. I mean geeze, if every program fired a coach based off how a single recruiting class performs as freshman we'd have coaches being fired left and right. For as much as Purdue fans like to claim superiority, you guys sure do seem to really worry about what schools like Indiana and UCLA are doing.

Indy, you need to speak with your fellow IU brethren and get your stories on the same page.

When you state that it would be inaccurate to state that IU will not return to glory you are right. The future is not known and anything can happen. There is no argument about that. However, peruse your school's rivals' site and you will find that there are numerous posts declaring: Purdue will never get past the S16 (obviously wrong), Purdue will never get to a FF as well as Purdue will never win a National Championship. For the reasons stated those are equally wrong. But where is your complaint about that? You are disingenuous by the lack of comment.

As for the rich history claim, you did have that. However, so did the U of Chicago in FB. I have not seen them in any bowl games in the last 60 years. As they say in the mutual fund ads: past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Indy, you need to speak with your fellow IU brethren and get your stories on the same page.

When you state that it would be inaccurate to state that IU will not return to glory you are right. The future is not known and anything can happen. There is no argument about that. However, peruse your school's rivals' site and you will find that there are numerous posts declaring: Purdue will never get past the S16 (obviously wrong), Purdue will never get to a FF as well as Purdue will never win a National Championship. For the reasons stated those are equally wrong. But where is your complaint about that? You are disingenuous by the lack of comment.

As for the rich history claim, you did have that. However, so did the U of Chicago in FB. I have not seen them in any bowl games in the last 60 years. As they say in the mutual fund ads: past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I don't need to police any IU fans. It's foolish for any IU fan to not recognize Purdue's recent success. I speak for myself only.

And your comparison to Indiana basketbal and University of Chicago football over 60 years ago is nonsense. Of course you haven't seen them in a bowl in over 60 years, they are no longer a D1 football team eligible to play in bowls. As it stands today, Indiana is still a D1 basketball school, in a premier conference, and is still one of the top revenue basketball producing programs in the country and will continue to be so. Until that changes, there is nothing that will lead me to believe IU isn't capable of restoring it's national prominence. IU is one coach away and who knows, Archie may or may not be that guy, time will only tell. But Archie or not, Indiana will always continue to give whoever coaches the Hoosiers, the resources and tools to get to that level. That isn't even a debate.

And you are correct: past performance is no guarantee of future results. But willingness and opportunity to achieve those results are definitely still in play.

Last edited:

However, every time you guys beat MSU, I applaud! Keep up that string!
Who is recruiting better than we are right now in the Big Ten? Two 5* players in the last two classes. Four or five 4* players (depending which site you use) to go along with that. Recruiting is not an issue. Archie has had ONE recruiting class.

Assuming we get Brunk we will be fine at the 4 and 5 spot. Our starting 1 and 2 are fine with Phinisee and Green. The 3 spot is a huge question mark right now. If Jerome Hunter gets healthy, he obviously slides in there. If not, it will likely be a 3 guard lineup with Durham at that spot.

Next year we are likely around 5th or 6th in the B1G with a 7-10 seed in the tournament.

I don't need to police any IU fans. It's foolish for any IU fan to not recognize Purdue's recent success. I speak for myself only.

And your comparison to Indiana basketbal and University of Chicago football over 60 years ago is nonsense. Of course you haven't seen them in a bowl in over 60 years, they are no longer a D1 football team eligible to play in bowls. As it stands today, Indiana is still a D1 basketball school, in a premier conference, and is still one of the top revenue basketball producing programs in the country and will continue to be so. Until that changes, there is nothing that will lead me to believe IU isn't capable of restoring it's national prominence. IU is one coach away and who knows, Archie may or may not be that guy, time will only tell. But Archie or not, Indiana will always continue to give whoever coaches the Hoosiers, the resources and tools to get to that level. That isn't even a debate.

And you are correct: past performance is no guarantee of future results. But willingness and opportunity to achieve those results are definitely still in play.

My point is referencing the U of C was simply to recognize that past success means nothing. Compare Army FB, still FBS and continuously so, from the 1920-50 and today. History means nothing in predicting the future.

As for revenue, it depends upon how it is recognized by the school. For example, the B1G sends a lot of money, how is that recognized among programs? Same is true for donations, royalties, etc. will the Admin drain cash from the AD and apply to the General Find? It happened at Purdue and could happen at IU. Like I wrote, the future is unknown and predicting with certainty is a fool's errand.

My point is referencing the U of C was simply to recognize that past success means nothing. Compare Army FB, still FBS and continuously so, from the 1920-50 and today. History means nothing in predicting the future.

As for revenue, it depends upon how it is recognized by the school. For example, the B1G sends a lot of money, how is that recognized among programs? Same is true for donations, royalties, etc. will the Admin drain cash from the AD and apply to the General Find? It happened at Purdue and could happen at IU. Like I wrote, the future is unknown and predicting with certainty is a fool's errand.

But Army is never going to get into the arms race, no pun attended, of college football. You can't compare the 1920s to today. IU is spending money like it's Duke, Kentucky, or North Carolina, they just don't have the coach. Not saying it will ever happen, because like you say nothing is guaranteed, but it's ridiculous for the OP to say IU is only living in their glory years and that a change can't take place. The second Indiana University and its fans accept mediocrity, they're done. But it will never happen.

I agree that it would be silly to write off Indiana, but it's also true that the Hoosiers have now missed the NCAA Tournament 7 times in the past 11 years. That's more than a few injuries or a few illegal phone calls. That's a significant trend. And, given that Indiana has yet to win an NCAA tournament game with a 1-and-done on its roster, I don't think they can simply recruit their way out of it. At some point, Indiana has to do the hard work of reestablishing a winning culture.

Can it be reversed? Sure. But, IMO Indiana faces a tougher road back to the national elite than UCLA. The B1G is stacked right now, and most of its top programs look to be well-positioned in the immediate future.

I agree that it would be silly to write off Indiana, but it's also true that the Hoosiers have now missed the NCAA Tournament 7 times in the past 11 years. That's more than a few injuries or a few illegal phone calls. That's a significant trend. And, given that Indiana has yet to win an NCAA tournament game with a 1-and-done on its roster, I don't think they can simply recruit their way out of it. At some point, Indiana has to do the hard work of reestablishing a winning culture.

Can it be reversed? Sure. But, IMO Indiana faces a tougher road back to the national elite than UCLA. The B1G is stacked right now, and most of its top programs look to be well-positioned in the immediate future.

I would agree with all of this, and that's why nobody on here has seen me proclaim Indiana as "back" or that they're on their way to being back. But to write them off considering the inherent advantages they enjoy as a blue-blood program is foolish. They are a coach away (Archie or not) from actually being "back".

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I read the following article about UCLA basketball and the first few paragraphs made me think about Indiana University when it comes to living on past glories.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mick-cronin-ucla-basketball-identity-20190409-story.html

This prompted the following reflection:

"Trying to recreate a past glory is an exercise in futility. In fact, it’s impossible since creation flows in only one direction; towards the future. It may be possible to recreate a future glory similar to a past one, but it will never be the same thing. Besides, by focusing on the instant gratification of reviving a past glory, the gradient steps which brought the past glory about tend to be ignored, thus decreasing the likelihood of obtaining any similar future goal. In other words, you can’t create the future by living in the past."

Maybe the UCLA fan base is starting to get it. I doubt if IU's ever does.

You are giving iu fan way too much credit. LOL

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Who is recruiting better than we are right now in the Big Ten? Two 5* players in the last two classes. Four or five 4* players (depending which site you use) to go along with that. Recruiting is not an issue. Archie has had ONE recruiting class.

Assuming we get Brunk we will be fine at the 4 and 5 spot. Our starting 1 and 2 are fine with Phinisee and Green. The 3 spot is a huge question mark right now. If Jerome Hunter gets healthy, he obviously slides in there. If not, it will likely be a 3 guard lineup with Durham at that spot.

Next year we are likely around 5th or 6th in the B1G with a 7-10 seed in the tournament.

I’d be interested to know what your preseason prediction was before this last season. I’m guessing not close to their results

You ask who is recruiting better than IU. Well the issue here is not that number of stars. The issue is building a team. For example, last years five star is gone. He doesn’t impact anything except useless arguments about who recruits better.

Unfortunately Hunter might never play (really sad), and Anderson was wasted for a year. Again, both are regularly cited as recruiting victories but do not affect the success of the team.

When you look behind the “top 10” recruiting classes, you can’t find the impact players that match what Michigan, MSU, or Purdue’s less healded classes bring to the court in actual games.

The OP was talking about unrealistic expectations of fan bases and IU fans exhibit this behavior quite often.

Last edited:
You ask who is recruiting better than IU. Well the issue here is not that number of stars. The issue is building a team. For example, last years five star is gone. He doesn’t impact anything except useless arguments about who recruits better.

Unfortunately Hunter might never play (really sad), and Anderson was wasted for a year. Again, both are regularly cited as recruiting victories but do not affect the success of the team.

When you look behind the “top 10” recruiting classes, you can’t find the impact players that match what Michigan, MSU, or Purdue’s less hearted classes bring to the court in actual games.

The OP was talking about unrealistic expectations of fan bases and IU fans exhibit this behavior quite often.
The 3 schools you mention have established coaches. Archie has had 1 recruiting class at this point. If he is seeing similar results to this year when he's had 3 or 4 classes, then he wont be the coach anymore and will be replaced.

You can't say he can't build a team when he has only had 1 class. Next year's team should be more well rounded than this year's team, but we won't know that until they step on the court.

Since there has been/been predicted a fairly large exodus from the IU program, I do not know how you can predict that they will be more well-rounded. Nobody knows at this point the make-up of the team.

The 3 schools you mention have established coaches. Archie has had 1 recruiting class at this point. If he is seeing similar results to this year when he's had 3 or 4 classes, then he wont be the coach anymore and will be replaced.

You can't say he can't build a team when he has only had 1 class. Next year's team should be more well rounded than this year's team, but we won't know that until they step on the court.
Recruiting does take time. Archie didn’t drop from the sky. He was recruiting D1 players at his previous school, so he wasn’t starting from scratch. That is a myth IU folks tell to excuse this issue. Again, it is not that he hasn’t recruited well. It is that he is not recruiting the right players.

A great example is Tre Williams vs Damezi Anderson. Both committed about the same time. Anderson was more highly ranked but didn’t fit a need IU had. Tre was a much better recruit and would have been a better fit for either school. Picture him playing next to Morgan this year.

Last edited:
Since there has been/been predicted a fairly large exodus from the IU program, I do not know how you can predict that they will be more well-rounded. Nobody knows at this point the make-up of the team.
Are you replying to me?

We will be more well rounded, because we will have a more balanced scoring attack. Having Davis starting with Brunk backing up with give us big bodies we didnt have down low last year. As great as Romeo was, his shooting struggles allowed teams to pack the paint. That shouldn't be the case this season.

Recruiting does take time. Archie didn’t drop from the sky. He was recruiting D1 players at his previous school, so he wasn’t starting from scratch. That is a myth IU folks tell to excuse this issue. Again, it is not that he hasn’t recruited well. It is that he is not recruiting the right players.

A great example is Tre Williams vs Damezi Anderson. Anderson was more highly ranked but didn’t fit a need IU had. Tre was a much better recruit and would have been for either school. Picture him playing next to Morgan this year.
Are you kidding? Damezi didnt project to fill a need? His skill is/was shooting. That was IU's biggest need.

Did RP fill a need? What about Romeo? Jerome Hunter would have gotten starter minutes if healthy. Andersen was never projected to play a lot as a freshmen. He just isn't able to play defense at a high enough level.

Would Williams have started for IU?

Are you replying to me?

We will be more well rounded, because we will have a more balanced scoring attack. Having Davis starting with Brunk backing up with give us big bodies we didnt have down low last year. As great as Romeo was, his shooting struggles allowed teams to pack the paint. That shouldn't be the case this season.
Brunk is not going to give you what you imply he will. He foes not have BIG starting center skills and strength. Besides, I think you might be counting on him in vain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT