ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Walker adjustment

Going into this season, I definitely didn’t think that defense would be a strength of this team. I was basically hoping that they could score enough to cover up their defensive challenges. But, this team is playing really solid team defense.

I don’t think that I’ve seen a Purdue team this dialed in on D since Kramer and the Baby Boilers. I was watching today thinking that this is how Painter always intended team defense to be played.

Going into this season, I definitely didn’t think that defense would be a strength of this team. I was basically hoping that they could score enough to cover up their defensive challenges. But, this team is playing really solid team defense.

I don’t think that I’ve seen a Purdue team this dialed in on D since Kramer and the Baby Boilers. I was watching today thinking that this is how Painter always intended team defense to be played.

And it's sometimes overlooked (hint: because he's so big :)), Zach Edey really took a jump with his rebounding on both ends of the glass. They've also for the most part stayed out of foul trouble.

The occasional hair-pulling breakdown wide open three but not nearly as many.....

No question the defense and timely FT shooting has helped them weather some poor shooting. Still......some huge challenges await around the corner.

And it's sometimes overlooked (hint: because he's so big :)), Zach Edey really took a jump with his rebounding on both ends of the glass. They've also for the most part stayed out of foul trouble.

The occasional hair-pulling breakdown wide open three but not nearly as many.....

No question the defense and timely FT shooting has helped them weather some poor shooting. Still......some huge challenges await around the corner.
...and I hope for only one game...the FT shooting took a bit of a dive today. Haven't seen any stats yet, but guessing the last couple of games Purdue is hitting more 3 balls and shooting less to do so....better shots...by better shooters...okay brandon you were NOT ready on 2 to shoot

...and I hope for only one game...the FT shooting took a bit of a dive today. Haven't seen any stats yet, but guessing the last couple of games Purdue is hitting more 3 balls and shooting less to do so....better shots...by better shooters...okay brandon you were NOT ready on 2 to shoot
Morton was 1-6 today. Something off there but feel like he can get it back.

7-17 today

@ Michigan 5-12
Maryland 2-13
@ Minnesota 7-16
@ Michigan State 4-10
Nebraska 11-29
@ Penn State 8-18
@ Ohio State 13-31

Morton was 1-6 today. Something off there but feel like he can get it back.
There are always a couple of times during a game that Braden has just as good of shot as Ethan and always defers to Ethan. I get it...I understand how he wants to keep all involved, but maybe one or two of those he should take. FWIW...the best play may have been him driving and seeing caleb with his eyes in the back of his head coming down the lane and hitting Caleb who then fed Zach for the stuff

There are always a couple of times during a game that Braden has just as good of shot as Ethan and always defers to Ethan. I get it...I understand how he wants to keep all involved, but maybe one or two of those he should take. FWIW...the best play may have been him driving and seeing caleb with his eyes in the back of his head coming down the lane and hitting Caleb who then fed Zach for the stuff

The pass out to Jenks for the Bomb to end the half, and the play you mentioned, TJ, were especially good. Think he's still figuring out when to take his shot....and Ethan Morton looked more assertive today. Hopefully, that will help in the next couple of games.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
7-17 today

@ Michigan 5-12
Maryland 2-13
@ Minnesota 7-16
@ Michigan State 4-10
Nebraska 11-29
@ Penn State 8-18
@ Ohio State 13-31
I think a lot less 3s than early in the season when everybody was shooting them. Less shots was also effected by the perimeter D, but the team is taking better shots as well. I'm sure Purdue has had at least 10 open shots that were not taken lately, but would have been taken earlier in the year. Brandon rushed a couple that he shouldn't hve taken. Braden shot one due to the clock and missed and David got one off Braden deep to David behind the arc just before half that David drilled. Teams are going to switch it up and start doubling Zach and Purdue will need to hit a few more perhaps...still not sold that Ethan should be going 1 for 6 in any game. Perhaps consider driving the ball a couple of those misses maybe...
edit below
Driving doesn't always mean shooting....Ethan might be able to create for others with some of his drives

Last edited:
The pass out to Jenks for the Bomb to end the half, and the play you mentioned, TJ, were especially good. Think he's still figuring out when to take his shot....and Ethan Morton looked more assertive today. Hopefully, that will help in the next couple of games.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I said before the season he would make some passes and we would just shake our heads and say wow! He is in traffic...going fast with apparently some eyes in the back of his head. Going to bed...saw Purdue beat MSU twice today!

ADVERTISEMENT