ADVERTISEMENT

Two random last game areas of interest

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Zach getting doubled and perimeter D is playing his pass out of the post for shorter close outs and better passing lane coverage as well (where is the D coming from on double…poorer shooter that may need to break to basket while other three are shifting holding the attention of the 3 defenders so they can’t help with the double or if they do 1-3 are now open. Does Purdue have a few more breaking to basket for dump…people tall enough to receive his pass somewhat downward?

Hope if defender goes down to dig on the ball with or without other help to double that Purdue shooters are on strong side 90 degree plus for easy vision Purdue player whose defender goes to double is ready for dump at the rim. Maryland did a good job of anticipating Zach passes when doubled since they know the mode of operation.

Think Maryland was very tuned in to the scouting report that almost all of Braden’s drives are passes for the lob or weakside. He will pitch to the strong side as well if he draws the D a step or two towards him, but bottom line they played the pass generally and him being gassed made it easier on them because he wasn't as effective in scoring off the drive. Braden puts in more miles than the others just due to how he plays, and Purdue needs a healthy Braden whether Braden good or not. Would love to see him have an early stroke that is successful both games “IF” it is there early?

That is just a couple of concerns that took place in the Maryland game that looked like there were sometimes Purdue was on auto thought? 😉 I think Zach has a better chance of replicating his performance at MSU than Walker does Sunday. It will be other people that will be the difference after each coach tries to prevent Zach and Walker from going off.

Kinda ignorant on Michigan other than on the streets where Juan partially grew up where you don’t let anyone disrespect you

Don't disrespect me

I think you hit the nail on the head. The rest of the players need to move if the passing lanes are tied up. They can't just sit out on the 3 point line waiting for a pass. Nebraska did the same thing in the first game. Zach did make a couple nice interior feeds to Furst for good looks. It just needs to be varied and guys have to move to create an opening.

Zach getting doubled and perimeter D is playing his pass out of the post for shorter close outs and better passing lane coverage as well (where is the D coming from on double…poorer shooter that may need to break to basket while other three are shifting holding the attention of the 3 defenders so they can’t help with the double or if they do 1-3 are now open. Does Purdue have a few more breaking to basket for dump…people tall enough to receive his pass somewhat downward?

Hope if defender goes down to dig on the ball with or without other help to double that Purdue shooters are on strong side 90 degree plus for easy vision Purdue player whose defender goes to double is ready for dump at the rim. Maryland did a good job of anticipating Zach passes when doubled since they know the mode of operation.

Think Maryland was very tuned in to the scouting report that almost all of Braden’s drives are passes for the lob or weakside. He will pitch to the strong side as well if he draws the D a step or two towards him, but bottom line they played the pass generally and him being gassed made it easier on them because he wasn't as effective in scoring off the drive. Braden puts in more miles than the others just due to how he plays, and Purdue needs a healthy Braden whether Braden good or not. Would love to see him have an early stroke that is successful both games “IF” it is there early?

That is just a couple of concerns that took place in the Maryland game that looked like there were sometimes Purdue was on auto thought? 😉 I think Zach has a better chance of replicating his performance at MSU than Walker does Sunday. It will be other people that will be the difference after each coach tries to prevent Zach and Walker from going off.

Kinda ignorant on Michigan other than on the streets where Juan partially grew up where you don’t let anyone disrespect you

Don't disrespect me
Morton cuts to the basket but if he gets the ball, he never shoots. He needs to take some of those 10 footers knowing Zach can clean up the Miss.

Morton cuts to the basket but if he gets the ball, he never shoots. He needs to take some of those 10 footers knowing Zach can clean up the Miss.
@Chi-Boiler Zach will have more difficulty passing over "the dick" than many...particularly to a smaller player I suspect and you can't have everyone cut to the basket and so you hope that is a 4 or a 3. You prefer Braden and Fletcher a threat behind the arc, but they need to move...not much...just enough to make the D keep and eye on them so it isn't total focus on Zach if they dig, double or scrap baseline, but they need to occupy the vision of their defender and if Braden, Jenkins, Fletcher, Brandon (don't get casual with your pass) and Mason are on strong side(Mason good for one or two looks if great looks)...I wouldn't mind seeing some two man game if Zach needs to post, pass out and repost or a good shooter has the shot out of the two man game. Course we are all smart enough to know once that ball is poorly thrown to start the game things start getting adjusted by one team or both ;)

ADVERTISEMENT