ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter announcement of commitment of ”#1 Player for 2023”...

Reactions: jindy
We'll see how that holds up when the Gino's, McGraw's, Mulkey's come a knocking, if she's the #1 player they'll come hard despite the fact that she committed as a 14 year old.

Reactions: plcosby
We'll see how that holds up when the Gino's, McGraw's, Mulkey's come a knocking, if she's the #1 player they'll come hard despite the fact that she committed as a 14 year old.
I agree she may be a hard keep. But if you read the articles I posted, she seems very determined as if she knows what she wants and doesn't desire the drama. We can hope.

Reactions: jindy
I agree she may be a hard keep. But if you read the articles I posted, she seems very determined as if she knows what she wants and doesn't desire the drama. We can hope.

Agree - reading articles(along with another I found by searching her name) her father and coach, and the girl herself seem to like the staff and culture of Purdue. The new assistant having east coast ties apparently paid off with this commitment as well.
The best way to keep this commitment is to WIN and continue to do so. Not saying Purdue has to win it all, but will need to show success(consistent upper level) in conference and at least a few NCAA tourney wins or it makes it very easy for other schools to recruit against Purdue and this staff.

Reactions: DocRon

Nicole Melious, guard from New York to Purdue WBB.
Wow!
Twitter is @nicolemelious10 and story on her (before commitment) is at https://www.nyaabasketball.org/news_article/show/910419

she was the #1 player for 2023 from that one recruiting site and that was in 2018... this year she's now dropped to the #16 player in the country on that same site... Ranking HS WBB players is a crap shoot.. and she could be ranked 130 on another recruiting site... so take it with a grain of salt

Don't worry her ranking will probably continue to drop as she gets older..but we are starting to see some higher recruited players being signed lately by Versyp...but remember that Harris was ranked #19 overall HS WBB recruit in the country as a HS senior by ESPN's HoopGurlz and she may continue to be the highest rated WBB player SV will sign for a while

Last edited:
No mention of her in the 2023 Top 25 HS WBB watch list on ESPN's Hoopgurlz site... which is par for the course in evaluating HS WBB players....One site will have a player rated really high and another will not even have them listed anywhere... So to say that she's the #1 WBB recruit for 2023 is very misleading...

Big time range out beyond the 3pt arc already. Kind of looks like a Karissa McLaughlin 2.0. Good shooter, good handles and likely continues to grow a bit more.
She's 5'8 as a HS freshman so slightly taller than Karissa and she's unstoppable driving to the hoop in the youtube videos so that's also not a huge Karissa McLaughlin trait... She's a point guard and may turn out to be one of the best Purdue has ever had..

Last edited:
To me Katie Gearlds had the most impressive potential talent of any WBB player I've seen play at Purdue besides Stephanie White...if Nicole is close to being as good as Katie or Stephanie were, this may turn out be a real coup for Versyp and this program...The agony for Purdue fans is now having to wait 4 years...

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT