ADVERTISEMENT

TV or Ross Ade in the Winter

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I know no one knows what is going to go on over the next couple of months, but I thought this article was interesting.

The article is really about people like stars like Lawrence possibly skipping their last season to get ready for the draft, if the football schedule was shortened or moved. However, let's say college football was moved to a timeframe like January to April/May like it is in the article. Can you image the weather our student athletics would have to play in at Ross Ade, Camp Randall, etc. during this timeframe, not to mention fans sitting in the stands? The Big Ten does not have the southern locations like the SEC. How would that work too with college basketball?

I would say if a possible Winter/Early Spring scenario is even on the table in random devil advocate discussions; I still say that I would rather have our players playing on tv without fans in the Fall than that possible scenario.

Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/could-...ball-if-2020-season-is-delayed-011328218.html

The B1G is too big a player in the national landscape, even without Delany in the mix. I don't think there's any way they choose Winter/Spring over Fall with no fans. For one thing, we don't know if we could have fans by Winter. And the weather in the north/midwest makes it less than ideal. Plus the conflict with basketball for TV time.

I've been wrong before though. I just think the desire to play something in September will be too great.

I'm with you Chi. I could see a scenario where it starts a couple weeks later due to fall practices being pushed back. But like you said the desire to get things back to normal is too great. Also, If the plan is to not play in front of fans, then the games could presumably be played anywhere which could include practice facilities or domes in select cities.

I know no one knows what is going to go on over the next couple of months, but I thought this article was interesting.

The article is really about people like stars like Lawrence possibly skipping their last season to get ready for the draft, if the football schedule was shortened or moved. However, let's say college football was moved to a timeframe like January to April/May like it is in the article. Can you image the weather our student athletics would have to play in at Ross Ade, Camp Randall, etc. during this timeframe, not to mention fans sitting in the stands? The Big Ten does not have the southern locations like the SEC. How would that work too with college basketball?

I would say if a possible Winter/Early Spring scenario is even on the table in random devil advocate discussions; I still say that I would rather have our players playing on tv without fans in the Fall than that possible scenario.

Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/could-...ball-if-2020-season-is-delayed-011328218.html
Ross ADE in the Fall. Time to man up, much like Mitch did on GMA. Say “F” you to every damn Ambulance chasing Lawyer and Libtard, and play some Damn Football!!! Sick of this bullshit and it is May 1st. Make the decision, move forward with legal language if necessary, and I’ll buy some of the first tickets. I am not scared and nobody should be scared anymore. Wear proper PPE if needed and clean your damn hands or wear gloves. How F’ing hard is that?

Last edited:
Ross ADE in the Fall. Time to man up, much like Mitch did on GMA. Say “F” you to every damn Ambulance chasing Lawyer and Libtard, and play some Damn Football!!! Sick of this bullshit and it is May 1st. Make the decision, move forward with legal language if necessary, and I’ll buy some of the first tickets. I am not scared and nobody should be scared anymore. Wear proper PPE if needed and clean your damn hands or wear gloves. How F’ing hard is that?

I personally will let the Pandemic play out for at least one more month or maybe even two before I will offer an opinion on what Purdue, B1G and the other Power Conferences should do! I also am not convinced it is safe to go out in the states that have let their Stay-at-Home orders lapse BEFORE any exhibited the 14 consecutive days of a downward trend of infections as recommended by the CDC!

Schools have to make plans and have way more than one but at ALL levels they are the easiest place to turbocharge and pass on the disease and the infection rate! Our family is staying at home despite what our Governor has said and done as our numbers of infected grow and not decline.

With respect to Power 5 football, if they can safely get in an 8 game regular season at a minimum in the Fall that should be their goal, imho!

Reactions: NVboiler
Touche!!! Well said..sh%% all political anyways!! By summer and 80-90 degree weather this virus will be gone for the most part! Dems and Libs will keepit front page reguardless......

I'll take TV in the fall with Rondale playing vs winter ball with no Rondale. No player eligible for the draft next spring is playing winter ball. Additionally losing 30000 to death by exposure in RA in January is more likely than that many fans from Covid watching the games from home in the fall.

One possibility may be they impose a max age limit of fans allowed in to RA and played the normal fall schedule?

One possibility may be they impose a max age limit of fans allowed in to RA and played the normal fall schedule?

They better not unless the max permissible age is at least 70! Us old fogeys (sp?) can wear masks with the best of you young snips.

I have already bought my (5) football season tickets and made my JPC donation for the year. My inclination would be to just roll it into the Purdue treasury if we have no football this year but if I get aged out I will be taking back every dollar. Is there anyone from JPC that can take that message back to the powers that be? I am sure many other oldsters would feel the same way.

They better not unless the max permissible age is at least 70! Us old fogeys (sp?) can wear masks with the best of you young snips.

I have already bought my (5) football season tickets and made my JPC donation for the year. My inclination would be to just roll it into the Purdue treasury if we have no football this year but if I get aged out I will be taking back every dollar. Is there anyone from JPC that can take that message back to the powers that be? I am sure many other oldsters would feel the same way.
I could not imagine an upper age limit being put in effect. I could see PPE as admission to the games. Much like the old days of no shirt, no shoes, no service but with gloves and mask. Hey, sell me a Purdue mask and gloves for $20 with logos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
I would vote TV in the fall. Hopefully that would coincide with other students on campus in the fall. Pushing NCAAF to January would also conflict with the NFL playoff Saturdays, and that's of course not allowed.

I could not imagine an upper age limit being put in effect. I could see PPE as admission to the games. Much like the old days of no shirt, no shoes, no service but with gloves and mask. Hey, sell me a Purdue mask and gloves for $20 with logos.

PPE and cloth masks aren't the same thing. If you gave everyone an N95 and made sure everyone wore it properly an entire game...that's just not realistic. I just got back from the grocery and half the people don't even understand it - covered their mouth, but not nose, are yapping away with it loosely over their mouth, thinking a cloth mask gives you immunity and come right up to you. Even standing in lines people can't stay 6 feet away. You're standing in a line! Being 2 feet away instead of 6 feet isn't going to get you through any faster. It's not that complicated....and certainly not reassuring that there won't be a resurgence.

I'm with you Chi. I could see a scenario where it starts a couple weeks later due to fall practices being pushed back. But like you said the desire to get things back to normal is too great. Also, If the plan is to not play in front of fans, then the games could presumably be played anywhere which could include practice facilities or domes in select cities.

The Cal State system has all but cancelled fall sports by going online for fall semester - this includes 3 Mountain West teams in San Diego State, Fresno State and San Jose State. Cal State is somewhat unique as it's a massive system of 500k students. They cited uncertainty of testing/tracing coupled with a forecasted resurgence again in the fall.

University of Arizona's president a few days ago said he could see fall sports happening with an abbreviated schedule starting later, with no fans. Arizona has started developing its own testing and anticipates being able to aggressively test and contact trace by the fall.

Obviously some schools are naturally more prepared for this than others, particularly more science-based schools.

Sounds like what could be on the table is conference games only. The question is what happens when members of the conference start to cancel.

91% of all U.S. covid deaths are those 60+. Seems like we should be able to come up with a plan to keep those folks safe while allowing everyone else a return to a fairly normal existence. Perhaps this is what Mitch has up his sleeve.

Thoughts?

I just got a phone call about three more seats around me and so they are moving forward...course that could all change, but...

I just got a phone call about three more seats around me and so they are moving forward...course that could all change, but...
I saw the article today we are on pace with the amount of tickets sold with last year up to this point. Happy to see that with all the things going on right now.

I saw the article today we are on pace with the amount of tickets sold with last year up to this point. Happy to see that with all the things going on right now.
I posted this on the football site. Any background on the following:
I'm on the aisle in 106, but thinking of sec 104. I like where I am and don't mind standing when the students across teh aisle are standing, but still can't see down in the corner when they stand. I could move away and possibly see the whole field but also wondered if I wasn't getting too close to the opposing fans. I think they are still closer to the goal line. It would also allow a bit quicker opportunity when the games were over to get on the road. Both are around the 40 and just curious if any that post or read here are in 104.

I posted this on the football site. Any background on the following:
I'm on the aisle in 106, but thinking of sec 104. I like where I am and don't mind standing when the students across teh aisle are standing, but still can't see down in the corner when they stand. I could move away and possibly see the whole field but also wondered if I wasn't getting too close to the opposing fans. I think they are still closer to the goal line. It would also allow a bit quicker opportunity when the games were over to get on the road. Both are around the 40 and just curious if any that post or read here are in 104.
Cannot be much help to you on that. I have not been to Ross Ade for a game in about 2 years. I had to have surgery last Fall, so I could not leave the house for a couple of months and could only watch the games on tv. Kind of like now in a way with not being able to leave the house. I was going to go to the Spring game this year, but we all know what happened about the Spring game this year.

Reactions: tjreese
91% of all U.S. covid deaths are those 60+. Seems like we should be able to come up with a plan to keep those folks safe while allowing everyone else a return to a fairly normal existence. Perhaps this is what Mitch has up his sleeve.

I have no idea what the fall will bring, but I think this is an oversimplification. It's not just about death. Towards the peak, 20% of hospitalized patients were between 20-44, a majority in the ICU. Most of them certainly survive, but they do so with significant medical treatment (which there is not infinite capacity). Not to mention people of all ages are much more at risk with pre-existing conditions, which Indiana isn't exactly the healthiest state in the country (#9 in diabetes, for example). I don't exactly walk into Ross-Ade and say "wow, look at all of this extra room between seats because everyone's so in shape".

Reactions: PaNDalum
I have no idea what the fall will bring, but I think this is an oversimplification. It's not just about death. Towards the peak, 20% of hospitalized patients were between 20-44, a majority in the ICU. Most of them certainly survive, but they do so with significant medical treatment (which there is not infinite capacity). Not to mention people of all ages are much more at risk with pre-existing conditions, which Indiana isn't exactly the healthiest state in the country (#9 in diabetes, for example). I don't exactly walk into Ross-Ade and say "wow, look at all of this extra room between seats because everyone's so in shape".

Lots packed in that short post.

People who are at risk are going to HAVE to begin assuming their own safety. That doesn't mean we don't help prevent the spread; we most certainly should.

The rest of the country should not be destroyed for fear of infecting those who are most at risk.

What's more, when our political leaders SAY we are taking action to FLATTEN THE CURVE, that D@MN SURE BETTER BE OUR OBJECTIVE, and everything should be predicated on that... as well as returning life to normal.

Lots packed in that short post.

People who are at risk are going to HAVE to begin assuming their own safety. That doesn't mean we don't help prevent the spread; we most certainly should.

The rest of the country should not be destroyed for fear of infecting those who are most at risk.

What's more, when our political leaders SAY we are taking action to FLATTEN THE CURVE, that D@MN SURE BETTER BE OUR OBJECTIVE, and everything should be predicated on that... as well as returning life to normal.

I'm not going to turn this into politics, nor should it be. But it's a gross oversimplification to simply say people need to assume their own safety - so now all 60+, then add in all people with underlying conditions....this isn't a small percentage of people. 13% of adults in Indiana have diabetes as just one example.

It's pretty clear that medical experts don't feel confident on having large crowds at this time. Perhaps if things improve, both in the spread and within testing and tracing, that could change.

I'm not going to turn this into politics, nor should it be. But it's a gross oversimplification to simply say people need to assume their own safety - so now all 60+, then add in all people with underlying conditions....this isn't a small percentage of people. 13% of adults in Indiana have diabetes as just one example.

It's pretty clear that medical experts don't feel confident on having large crowds at this time. Perhaps if things improve, both in the spread and within testing and tracing, that could change.
There is nothing inherently political in what I wrote, other than recognizing the fact it is political leaders making decisions.

Nor is it political to recognize the goalposts have changed.

Nor is it a gross oversimplification to recognize that an extraordinarily large percent of deaths have come from people at risk, and that people who are not should be getting back to their lives (and livelihoods).

I had originally thought that Northwestern would be the spoke that would keep the wheel from rolling, at least as far as the B1G goes. A private school with the likelihood of strong technology to keep going with remote learning, and in a state that is probably at the extreme back end of reopening timelines. While Shapiro's statement don't mean much to make the assumption that we're going to be starting camp July 1, it was a big boost in confidence for me.

I'm betting there is no fans in the stands in Champaign this fall. Gov Prickster intends to allow no gatherings of more than 50 until at least Jan 2021.

I had originally thought that Northwestern would be the spoke that would keep the wheel from rolling, at least as far as the B1G goes. A private school with the likelihood of strong technology to keep going with remote learning, and in a state that is probably at the extreme back end of reopening timelines. While Shapiro's statement don't mean much to make the assumption that we're going to be starting camp July 1, it was a big boost in confidence for me.

Northwestern is a small school which I think is easier to handle a reopening with, and it helps they have a strong medical school that can probably assist with testing needs. While they are in the Chicago area, they are more in a suburb.

I think the tough one is Rutgers. If there is a resurgence, New Jersey was hit very hard the first time, there's no reason to think it wouldn't be in a resurgence. And then you also have ones like Minnesota and Ohio State - which are in the heart of a major city. I think those the ones at higher risk.

July 1 isn't a big deal, teams can come back in August....and I still wouldn't be surprised to see a conference-only schedule.

Northwestern is a small school which I think is easier to handle a reopening with, and it helps they have a strong medical school that can probably assist with testing needs. While they are in the Chicago area, they are more in a suburb.

I think the tough one is Rutgers. If there is a resurgence, New Jersey was hit very hard the first time, there's no reason to think it wouldn't be in a resurgence. And then you also have ones like Minnesota and Ohio State - which are in the heart of a major city. I think those the ones at higher risk.

July 1 isn't a big deal, teams can come back in August....and I still wouldn't be surprised to see a conference-only schedule.

The problem isn't whether Northwestern is in Chicago or not. I know the main campus is in Evanston. But (A) many of their individual schools are in Chicago. (B) It's really dependent on the Governor of Illinois, who is slower on reopening that pretty much any Governor in the country. He has split the state into 4 regions, one of which being Northeastern Illinois, effectively being the Wisconsin border to the north, Aurora to the West (where I work), Joliet to the Southwest, and more or less the suburbs south of the I-80 corridor to the south.

While you are right that the school has top-notch medical facilities (along with University of Chicago, which has been highlighted in the science aspect of Covid), it might not matter if Pritzker doesn't loosen things in the next 45 days. I have my doubts and was surprised by Schapiro's comments. Maybe he's trying to put pressure on Pritzker.

I agree with you about Rutgers for sure. The article seemed like Penn State's situation could play a role too, but it's not in a very populous area.

The problem isn't whether Northwestern is in Chicago or not. I know the main campus is in Evanston. But (A) many of their individual schools are in Chicago. (B) It's really dependent on the Governor of Illinois, who is slower on reopening that pretty much any Governor in the country. He has split the state into 4 regions, one of which being Northeastern Illinois, effectively being the Wisconsin border to the north, Aurora to the West (where I work), Joliet to the Southwest, and more or less the suburbs south of the I-80 corridor to the south.

While you are right that the school has top-notch medical facilities (along with University of Chicago, which has been highlighted in the science aspect of Covid), it might not matter if Pritzker doesn't loosen things in the next 45 days. I have my doubts and was surprised by Schapiro's comments. Maybe he's trying to put pressure on Pritzker.

I agree with you about Rutgers for sure. The article seemed like Penn State's situation could play a role too, but it's not in a very populous area.

Illinois isn't really that slow compared to other hard hit states - it's still only mid-May. Ohio's governor today was saying he "doesn't know" if schools will go back in the fall.

There seems to be this July 1 deadline for football players to be back...but it's not. Preseason camps don't start until August.

Actually Gov Prickster has maintained the previous two regions being Chitcago and the rest of the state AKA the Heathen Frontier.

Not having fans at games would be devastating for some local economies. I don’t think Chicago/Evanston or Columbus would be too hurt, but imagine what a blow it would be to smaller cities like Lafayette and South Bend. They stated in the local paper this morning that each ND home game brings in $17M to the local economy. Purdue is probably well below that, but it will be felt.

ADVERTISEMENT