ADVERTISEMENT

Trey confused me once the game was over and they were taking the championship pics

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
There he was standing in the back row for the Championship Trophy and I was assured a couple of years ago from the IU website faithful that Trey didn't want to be in the bright lights and that is why he went to Purdue. Course, I knew the "real" truth back then, but not much reason to enter into a basketball discussion with many IU fans since most haven't seen basketball for quite a few years.

FWIW...this quite simply is a TEAM where everyone contributes to the best of their ability and almost always only do what each is capable. What a joy to watch! Now, I was worried about Braden's first foul hurting Purdue, because it wasn't one he needed to make and when he picked up his second and went to the bench and when he picked up his third I thought it forced a few slightly out of their most comfortable positions and was just hopeful Purdue could maintain the lead until he could drive the train again. That said, the team has fighters and smart players where if all continue to play hard on D, Matt will keep playing some depth. Every single player contributes and it is hard to remember "IF" a Purdue team has played that hard with so much talent and depth of talent for sooooo many years!

Last edited:
There he was standing in the back row for the Championship Trophy and I was assured a couple of years ago from the IU website faithful that Trey didn't want to be in the bright lights and that is why he went to Purdue. Course, I knew the "real" truth back then, but not much reason to enter into a basketball discussion with many IU fans since most haven't seen basketball for quite a few years.

FWIW...this quite simply is a TEAM where everyone contributes to the best of their ability and almost always only do what each is capable. What a joy to watch! Now, I was worried about Braden's first foul hurting Purdue, because it wasn't one he needed to make and when he picked up his second and went to the bench and when he picked up his third I thought it forced a few slightly out of their most comfortable positions and was just hopeful Purdue could maintain the lead until he could drive the train again. That said, the team has fighters and smart players where if all continue to play hard on D, Matt will keep playing some depth. Every single player contributes and it is hard to remember "IF" a Purdue team has played that hard with so much talent and depth of talent for sooooo many years!

Iv'e been talking with my husband and I don't remember a team having this many hard nosed players all at once. If you can help me remember one have at it. These guys work, work, work!

There has been no team like this one that i have ever seen in purdue uniform.

Preseason I thought 4-6th in B10.

But I cannot remember a Purdue team just destroy Duke & Gonzaga type -- top 10 teams back to back in a weekend. Bodes well for later as they will only get better.

Props to CMP on excellent substitution patterns with so many good players!!

Last edited:
Iv'e been talking with my husband and I don't remember a team having this many hard nosed players all at once. If you can help me remember one have at it. These guys work, work, work!
They have a group of academically good students which even though some majors may be harder than others...to do well, you have to do more than the others and so they are used to working hard. They are more concerned with substance than flash and are better at assessing what is going on with the team and the opponent, and generally, playing within each player's capabilities.

They are sound fundamentally, skilled with decent length and decent athletes that enjoy being any part of a successful team at the expense of the individual stat line and so far a joy to watch!!

Last edited:
94-95 Team is my favorite and this team might change that for me. Big Dog was gone and they still won the conference (15-3). Nothing flashy, just hard nosed team. Cuonzo was the leader with Brantley the only other one avg double figures. This team has way more potential because of the shooters on this team. But you asked for the team that was as hard nosed and I think 94-95 is the best example.

Preseason I thought 4-6th in B10.

But I cannot remember a Purdue team just destroy Duke & Gonzaga type -- top 10 teams back to back in a weekend. Bodes well for later as they will only get better.

Props to CMP on excellent substitution patterns with so many good players!!
The Great Alaskan Shoot Out we looked like a legit final four team. Kenny Lowe Toughness and will to win carried the team.
Did anyone hear about Chris Booker??
This team is deeper and hopefully more resiliant.

The Great Alaskan Shoot Out we looked like a legit final four team. Kenny Lowe Toughness and will to win carried the team.
Did anyone hear about Chris Booker??
This team is deeper and hopefully more resiliant.

I can let you know more about that tomorrow..... :)

I'll be interested to see how this team responds with some adversity......and what they do @ Florida State now that they're getting some attention. Still going to need some patience with what Matt Painter is trying to do - like the pieces so far and the strategy. It'll get tougher......and then even tougher......conference play is going to be another grinder/weekly battle.

94-95 Team is my favorite and this team might change that for me. Big Dog was gone and they still won the conference (15-3). Nothing flashy, just hard nosed team. Cuonzo was the leader with Brantley the only other one avg double figures. This team has way more potential because of the shooters on this team. But you asked for the team that was as hard nosed and I think 94-95 is the best example.
pretty good recall. You can add Todd Foster, Porter Roberts and Ian??? Stanback to Zo and Brandon off the top of my head. Gene was a "hard nosed" coach and players back then were a bit more hard nosed for all teams. Matt is more finesse and the rule change a few years ago has generally leaned for Purdue to more finesse, but IMO your example is a good one

Reactions: Zaphod_B

I liked that team as well, Dry - definitely substance and grit over flash/style. Porter Roberts along with Cuonzo and Brantley and transfer Roy Hairston with some of the others mentioned.

Unfortunately, I also personally witnessed their NCAA tourney demise in the Irwin Center in Austin. Darn it, my Boilerepherine levels are in a state of equilibrium now after the weekend. :)

ADVERTISEMENT