ADVERTISEMENT

Treed

What did you think of the practice today?
. Since you asked. I’ll break it down what I saw. Grady made 5/7 3s he was confident shooting it that’s a good thing if a team leaves him open he looks confident shooting it now. He plays hard brings great energy. Cline shoot the ball confidently took advantage of a few mismatches he had by taking his man off the dribble getting to the basket. Played solid team defense. Carsen is carsen made some good decisions by passing the ball finding the open shooter. Evan played really well especially the last 2 games really showed his versatility. He can attack of the dribble shoot the open 3 make had a couple nice passes as well. He gets after it on the boards he defends both 4/5 well great gonna cause matchup problems at the 5 position if a 5 guard him. Gonna be a great help for this young team. Haarms will make shots once he gets into the grove of the game. So mobile run the floor and now he will have more opportunities to score the ball but he’s gonna help so much with rebounding and defending. Aaron started slow took good shots they just didn’t fall last 2 sessions he shot it a little better. Plz don’t over look his abilities he’s gonna be everything this team needs him to be just gotta get his feet wet now get into a flow of the game once he does that with his length and athleticism he gonna be a problem he didn’t play in a whole year he gonna be alright. Sasha made a huge impression on me shot the ball well beautiful stroke he has. He played pretty solid defense as well more than held his on on whoever he guarded including carsen. Teams can’t help he gonna make them pay. Eric definitely seemed a little tentative had several open shots he got from Nojel seemed reluctant to shoot it but did make one later in the game and he showed he can get to the basket. All he needs is to get comfortable playing in games and get his feet wet too he gonna be of great help. Tre gonna be a problem once he realize what his size brings and play like a big if he wants min. He rebounds well really well I might add but he trapped in a big mans body wanted to be a guard. He just gotta do what is gonna get him on the court play big bcuz he will be hard to guard once he gets that than look out. He more agile and can move well for his size. Emanuel still learning basketball but he’s physically athletically and physically gifted just be patient with him he will be a problem once he gets more familiar with the college game. Nojel will be a matchup problem. So many getting caught up in his shooting plz believe me that not gonna be an issue. He brings many things to the table. A parent asked painter about Nojel shot he basically said he does a lot of things really well that is his strength of his game. He attacked off the dribble got to the basket shot floaters found open shooters for wide open shots came off ball screens getting to the rim. His value is more than his shooting his value is his versatility being able to play multiple positions defensively and offensively. With the amount of shooters on this team he’s gonna pick teams apart getting them open shots if they knocking them down gonna be long game for opposing teams bcuz the lane gonna be wide open.he gonna shoot the ball but his shooting don’t define him. His IQ and vision was on display he also guarded carsen,wheeler and Cline so he has ability to defend multiple defenders He does have to take care of the ball better which he knows something he will get better at once he has more games with his teammates but overall I like what I see out of this team. Gonna be fast in transition looks like gonna be a really good rebounding team saw good team chemistry a team gonna play hard and will cause problems defensively once spots are figured out. Overall I like what I saw don’t overlook this team got a chance to be very dangerous by big 10 play.

. Since you asked. I’ll break it down what I saw. Grady made 5/7 3s he was confident shooting it that’s a good thing if a team leaves him open he looks confident shooting it now. He plays hard brings great energy. Cline shoot the ball confidently took advantage of a few mismatches he had by taking his man off the dribble getting to the basket. Played solid team defense. Carsen is carsen made some good decisions by passing the ball finding the open shooter. Evan played really well especially the last 2 games really showed his versatility. He can attack of the dribble shoot the open 3 make had a couple nice passes as well. He gets after it on the boards he defends both 4/5 well great gonna cause matchup problems at the 5 position if a 5 guard him. Gonna be a great help for this young team. Haarms will make shots once he gets into the grove of the game. So mobile run the floor and now he will have more opportunities to score the ball but he’s gonna help so much with rebounding and defending. Aaron started slow took good shots they just didn’t fall last 2 sessions he shot it a little better. Plz don’t over look his abilities he’s gonna be everything this team needs him to be just gotta get his feet wet now get into a flow of the game once he does that with his length and athleticism he gonna be a problem he didn’t play in a whole year he gonna be alright. Sasha made a huge impression on me shot the ball well beautiful stroke he has. He played pretty solid defense as well more than held his on on whoever he guarded including carsen. Teams can’t help he gonna make them pay. Eric definitely seemed a little tentative had several open shots he got from Nojel seemed reluctant to shoot it but did make one later in the game and he showed he can get to the basket. All he needs is to get comfortable playing in games and get his feet wet too he gonna be of great help. Tre gonna be a problem once he realize what his size brings and play like a big if he wants min. He rebounds well really well I might add but he trapped in a big mans body wanted to be a guard. He just gotta do what is gonna get him on the court play big bcuz he will be hard to guard once he gets that than look out. He more agile and can move well for his size. Emanuel still learning basketball but he’s physically athletically and physically gifted just be patient with him he will be a problem once he gets more familiar with the college game. Nojel will be a matchup problem. So many getting caught up in his shooting plz believe me that not gonna be an issue. He brings many things to the table. A parent asked painter about Nojel shot he basically said he does a lot of things really well that is his strength of his game. He attacked off the dribble got to the basket shot floaters found open shooters for wide open shots came off ball screens getting to the rim. His value is more than his shooting his value is his versatility being able to play multiple positions defensively and offensively. With the amount of shooters on this team he’s gonna pick teams apart getting them open shots if they knocking them down gonna be long game for opposing teams bcuz the lane gonna be wide open.he gonna shoot the ball but his shooting don’t define him. His IQ and vision was on display he also guarded carsen,wheeler and Cline so he has ability to defend multiple defenders He does have to take care of the ball better which he knows something he will get better at once he has more games with his teammates but overall I like what I see out of this team. Gonna be fast in transition looks like gonna be a really good rebounding team saw good team chemistry a team gonna play hard and will cause problems defensively once spots are figured out. Overall I like what I saw don’t overlook this team got a chance to be very dangerous by big 10 play.
There is a lot here I can agree with as I was sitting in the soft seats behind you. I'm not going to be able to give my $.02 because as hard as I tried...it was hard for me not to watch the football game going on as well...knowing this was a scrimmage. That said I'll offer $.01 or less. The generalities I left with knowing it was but ONE scrimmage and possibly in total error were the following:

Ryan Cline has REALLY improved. He looks for his shot more AND really did a nice job of putting it on the floor. He is as comfortable as he was a senior in high school. No reluctance in driving the ball!!!

Grady was another glowing player. We all know the grit, hustle, team play and just doing what needs done. However, as TReed said he appears VERY comfortable with his stroke and doesn't hesitate to shoot when open...AND they went in!!! I can see him getting a lot of minutes early if not through the year....IF the scrimmage was not an anomaly. Since he did NOT hesitate shooting the ball...I'm guessing the scrimmage was NOT an anomaly.

Those two stood out as people that took their game up a few notches.

Nojel to me looks lighter...looks trimmed down a bit. Not having a low post allows Nojel a bit more driving the ball and allowed him many kick outs. As TReed said, the "lack of as much structure" (more my words) allows Nojel a bit more freedom and he is much more comfortable with it!!! He only shot one shot from the perimeter that I recall, but he can get in the lane and score (which he did)...and has great vision as we know. He had LOT of kickouts and when the ball comes from the lane OUT...the footwork for the three ball is less and it aids the shooter since there are less body parts in play. He will hit a much more comfortable zone this year and Purdue will need his boards as well.

Evan B. A bit slower than I hoped (but okay), but he is not afraid of mixing it up, can hit jumper (not sure it was a jumper behind the arc ;) ) fundamentally sound and smart. The refs let him get mauled a time or so. He will play as well. He doesn't get out of control and typically plays within himself. I'm guessing his versatility and IQ will allow him to provide what Purdue needs at different moments. He has that "old man's game"...not pretty, but effective.

Sasha, didn't look that rusty. Shot well early and made one of the better passes of the game. Not afraid of mixing it up and will get minutes this year as well I expect. However, with Ryan looking as good as he did and with Carsen on the floor...those minutes and play may be similar to Ryan's previous years. Still, he will be there when needed and only get better as he gets more minutes.

A. Wheeler did have a lot of open looks and they didn't drop. For the first two segments he just "looked to score" off of stationary shots only, although he dunked off a rebound without coming down and almost got a tip from a few feet out. The last segment he FINALLY put the ball on the court a bit. We know this kid is athletic and with a high ceiling. WHEN he gathers a bit more confidence he could take off. He is too soft in his play and needs more aggression. One good game and it could all click for this guy.

E. Hunter, as TReed said...passed up a few shots and the coaches told him to shoot the ball. He can defend and handle the ball enough to really help this year. He too was a bit passive like A.Wheeler, but has the tools to help and will get quality minutes this year.

M. Haarms stroked quite a few 3's during warm up. Obviously he has been given some ground to shoot on the perimeter. That didn't happen in the scrimmage and don't recall him shooting much other than a baseline jump hook that was impressive. We know he can move and is 7'3" as well as comfortable on the perimeter. I expect more looks outside...but we need more boards!!!

My "general negative"...a bit soft on the boards...too much jumping and not enough moving bodies...that was a concern based upon one scrimmage! Carsen, Nojel and Eric all applied good pressure...others as well, but the D starts with pressure on the ball!

My team surprise was the offense. I thought we would see more ball screens and it appears as of now that it is mostly a go to as the clock winds down. Instead, motion with off the ball movement as the typical Purdue brand was on display. The difference was a LOT more people willing to dribble towards the basket in motion which is great...and perhaps that too makes rebounding a bit more difficult for the D.

Dow is very raw...instincts are not honed and so "timing " of game is a bit fast for him for rebounding and such. He has little experience with teh game and so he has some time to develop and I look for him to be a really good player for Purdue down the road.

Tre did not look like 280, but for a few posts he was physical and then had some difficulty finishing under the bucket with the quicker jumpers around him. Dow and TRe are both young and their first time in front of Purdue fans. One scrimmage and one scrimmage only...unless teh scrimmage was anomaly...I doubt we see much from them this year. I hope I'm wrong and that the scrimmage is not indicative or that they do in fact improve a lot...but right now they need some time. I'm sure there are many more things that could be said, but trying to capture things knowing the importance of that football game made it hard for me to actually watch as much as possible...

There is a lot here I can agree with as I was sitting in the soft seats behind you. I'm not going to be able to give my $.02 because as hard as I tried...it was hard for me not to watch the football game going on as well...knowing this was a scrimmage. That said I'll offer $.01 or less. The generalities I left with knowing it was but ONE scrimmage and possibly in total error were the following:

Ryan Cline has REALLY improved. He looks for his shot more AND really did a nice job of putting it on the floor. He is as comfortable as he was a senior in high school. No reluctance in driving the ball!!!

Grady was another glowing player. We all know the grit, hustle, team play and just doing what needs done. However, as TReed said he appears VERY comfortable with his stroke and doesn't hesitate to shoot when open...AND they went in!!! I can see him getting a lot of minutes early if not through the year....IF the scrimmage was not an anomaly. Since he did NOT hesitate shooting the ball...I'm guessing the scrimmage was NOT an anomaly.

Nojel to me looks lighter...looks trimmed down a bit. Not having a low post allows Nojel a bit more driving the ball and allowed him many kick outs. As TReed said, the "lack of as much structure" (more my words) allows Nojel a bit more freedom and he is much more comfortable with it!!! He only shot one shot from the perimeter that I recall, but he can get in the lane and score (which he did)...and has great vision as we know. He had LOT of kickouts and when the ball comes from the lane OUT...the footwork for the three ball is less and it aids the shooter since there are less body parts in play. He will hit a much more comfortable zone this year and Purdue will need his boards as well.

Evan B. A bit slower than I hoped (but okay), but he is not afraid of mixing it up, can hit jumper (not sure it was a jumper behind the arc ;) ) fundamentally sound and smart. The refs let him get mauled a time or so. He will play as well. He doesn't get out of control and typically plays within himself. I'm guessing his versatility and IQ will allow him to provide what Purdue needs at different moments. He has that "old man's game"...not pretty, but effective.

Sasha, didn't look that rusty. Shot well early and made one of the better passes of the game. Not afraid of mixing it up and will get minutes this year as well I expect. However, with Ryan looking as good as he did and with Carsen on the floor...those minutes and play may be similar to Ryan's previous years. Still, he will be there when needed and only get better as he gets more minutes.

A. Wheeler did have a lot of open looks and they didn't drop. For the first two segments he just "looked to score" off of stationary shots only, although he dunked off a rebound without coming down and almost got a tip from a few feet out. The last segment he FINALLY put the ball on the court a bit. We know this kid is athletic and with a high ceiling. WHEN he gathers a bit more confidence he could take off. He is too soft in his play and needs more aggression. One good game and it could all click for this guy.

E. Hunter, as TReed said...passed up a few shots and the coaches told him to shoot the ball. He can defend and handle the ball enough to really help this year. He too was a bit passive like A.Wheeler, but has the tools to help and will get quality minutes this year.

M. Haarms stroked quite a few 3's during warm up. Obviously he has been given some ground to shoot on the perimeter. That didn't happen in the scrimmage and don't recall him shooting much other than a baseline jump hook that was impressive. We know he can move and is 7'3" as well as comfortable on the perimeter. I expect more looks outside...but we need more boards!!!

My "general negative"...a bit soft on the boards...too much jumping and not enough moving bodies...that was a concern based upon one scrimmage! Carsen, Nojel and Eric all applied good pressure...others as well, but the D starts with pressure on the ball!

My team surprise was the offense. I thought we would see more ball screens and it appears as of now that it is mostly a go to as the clock winds down. Instead, motion with off the ball movement as the typical Purdue brand was on display. The difference was a LOT more people willing to dribble towards the basket in motion which is great...and perhaps that too makes rebounding a bit more difficult for the D.

Dow is very raw...instincts are not honed and so "timing " of game is a bit fast for him for rebounding and such. He has little experience with teh game and so he has some time to develop and I look for him to be a really good player for Purdue down the road.

Tre did not look like 280, but for a few posts he was physical and then had some difficulty finishing under the bucket with the quicker jumpers around him. Dow and TRe are both young and their first time in front of Purdue fans. One scrimmage and one scrimmage only...unless teh scrimmage was anomaly...I doubt we see much from them this year. I hope I'm wrong and that the scrimmage is not indicative or that they do in fact improve a lot...but right now they need some time. I'm sure there are many more things that could be said, but trying to capture things knowing the importance of that football game made it hard for me to actually watch as much as possible...
Sir we’ll dome great observation considering your eyes were on the football game you saw enough to give a good view point. By the way Nojel has leaned out got rid of some body fat and bulk.

Sir we’ll dome great observation considering your eyes were on the football game you saw enough to give a good view point. By the way Nojel has leaned out got rid of some body fat and bulk.
I thougnt he looked lean...look really good physically. he is going to be much more comfortable this year as there will not be quite the structure due to the personnel..

I thougnt he looked lean...look really good physically. he is going to be much more comfortable this year as there will not be quite the structure due to the personnel..
I believe ur right not many plays were ran my son told me bcuz most of the players still learning them but he needed to lean out to be able to move on the court bcuz his min production is gonna go up gotta be in shape and he was tired.

Hi Treed! For those of us who haven't seen Nojel shoot since last season, has he seen a noticeable improvement in form and % made?
Or do you think his shooting won't be an issue because you think his ability to create negates any deficiencies he may have shooting?

Curious what his goal is with regard to shooting 3's and free throws. Does he have a % goal for each?

It sounds like Nojel had a little bit of a turnover problem in the scrimmage. Does he have a assist to turnover ratio goal for this season?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Last edited:
Thank you for posting!!

Thank you for posting!

Reactions: tjreese
Hi Treed! For those of us who haven't seen Nojel shoot since last season, has he seen a noticeable improvement in form and % made?
Or do you think his shooting won't be an issue because you think his ability to create negates any deficiencies he may have shooting?

Curious what his goal is with regard to shooting 3's and free throws. Does he have a % goal for each?

It sounds like Nojel had a little bit of a turnover problem in the scrimmage. Does he have a assist to turnover ratio goal for this season?

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Yes his shot has improved mechanically he took 2 3 point attempts or 1 he was open just missed it as long as he takes the shots that are given to him. FTs he just never shot one yesterday but I’m told by coaches FTs shooting is really good and I’m confident in my son he will make them why bcuz he said he will. His shooting won’t be an issue st all whether teams sag off him or not tell u why he will be hard to matchup with on the perimeter bcuz he is so big strong and fast he will cause problems against most smaller guards guarding him especially in the post that we all didn’t even see yet. He scored multiple times over carsen and not many players in college physically looks like him or can guard like him so what does that say. Yes he had a few T/O is is aware of them and his goal all season to keep it less than 2 a game at all cost. He got tired had not played 30 min at all last season and who was he guarding full court carsen a very hard cover than Cline running through a ton of screens than Aaron a super athlete just gotta get his stamina up he’ll be fine. He has set goals for himself sure to lead this team take care of the ball make good decisions and try to help this team win a lot of games. If u want my predictions I say he’s a double double waiting to happen and done triple doubles waiting to happen his value is more than his shooting why Cline Sasha carsen evan hunter Aaron Grady even Haarms all can make open shots and he can really pass the ball. Rhondo don’t shoot at all but he can really pass the ball as long as he has multiple shooters around him. He will shoot the ball this season how many he makes we’ll see as long as he taking shots given to him that’s what will be needed to keep defenses on there toes.

when haarms isnt in, will we play small ball or can one of the young big guys come in and provide quality minutes?

when haarms isnt in, will we play small ball or can one of the young big guys come in and provide quality minutes?
One scrimmage in...not sure how many minutes Dow and Tre see. I hope they settle in and help this year, but based upon one scrimmage...not sure.

I am so glad to see Grady being vindicated, and thanks for that report about him. Last year, when I stated how well I though he was playing, there were so many naysayers, yet I still believe that he's the ideal coach's player. I think he's going to surprise a lot of folks this year, just as this entire team will do.

Thanks for that great write-up Treed! Appreciate it!

Thanks for that great write-up Treed! Appreciate it!
You welcome. By the way I’m trying to figure out how to make paragraphs when I write long comments can you tell me how so I can space some of this out. Not internet savvy just basic. Wanna get my point across were it can be read and not all bunched up in one paragraph. Can you help me.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You welcome. By the way I’m trying to figure out how to make paragraphs when I write long comments can you tell me how so I can space some of this out. Not internet savvy just basic. Wanna get my point across were it can be read and not all bunched up in one paragraph. Can you help me.
until you post something you can create space. If on your phone, there will be a key that allows you to go down a line from where you are and if on a computer the enter key should allow you to go down a line. Once you have created the line space you want...just post reply. Or you can write in some other medium and then copy and paste that.

until you post something you can create space. If on your phone, there will be a key that allows you to go down a line from where you are and if on a computer the enter key should allow you to go down a line. Once you have created the line space you want...just post reply. Or you can write in some other medium and then copy and paste that.
Aww got it cuz usually I’m on my phone when I post on here I’ll try it and see if that works thanks.
I got it now
Thanks again.

One scrimmage in...not sure how many minutes Dow and Tre see. I hope they settle in and help this year, but based upon one scrimmage...not sure.
Brian seems to think the Dow and Tre need to improve a lot to be major contributors this year. He thinks one of them will probably redshirt. He also noted that Nojel's 5 turnovers in the scrimmage was perhaps something to be concerned with...saying something along the lines of - the coaching staff has to figure out a way to get him to be more careful with the ball. He had glowing reviews for Cline and EB.

I think Matt has his work cut out for him this year in trying to figure out where to play all of these guys. Purdue has:
A small shooting guard that is probably going to play the point at the next level so do you let him play the point now or keep him at the 2? Do you play him at the 1 or 2?

A big athletic point guard that doesn't shoot all that well and turns the ball over more than most coaches would like but is a very good defender and can get to the rim so do you move him to the 3? Does he play the 1, 3, or 4?

A 6'9" redshirt player who has improved substantially but is probably somewhere between a 3 and 4. Does he play the 3 or 4?

A 7'3" player who maybe better suited for pick n rolls and to float on the perimeter at the 4. Does he play the 4 or 5?

A 6'6" former walk-on player who can probably only play the 4. Not much flexibility here.

A transfer 6'8" player who maybe better at the 5 than our 7'3" player. Do you play him at the 4 or 5.

Time will tell...

Brian seems to think the Dow and Tre need to improve a lot to be major contributors this year. He thinks one of them will probably redshirt. He also noted that Nojel's 5 turnovers in the scrimmage was perhaps something to be concerned with...saying something along the lines of - the coaching staff has to figure out a way to get him to be more careful with the ball. He had glowing reviews for Cline and EB.

I think Matt has his work cut out for him this year in trying to figure out where to play all of these guys. Purdue has:
A small shooting guard that is probably going to play the point at the next level so do you let him play the point now or keep him at the 2? Do you play him at the 1 or 2?

A big athletic point guard that doesn't shoot all that well and turns the ball over more than most coaches would like but is a very good defender and can get to the rim so do you move him to the 3? Does he play the 1, 3, or 4?

A 6'9" redshirt player who has improved substantially but is probably somewhere between a 3 and 4. Does he play the 3 or 4?

A 7'3" player who maybe better suited for pick n rolls and to float on the perimeter at the 4. Does he play the 4 or 5?

A 6'6" former walk-on player who can probably only play the 4. Not much flexibility here.

A transfer 6'8" player who maybe better at the 5 than our 7'3" player. Do you play him at the 4 or 5.

Time will tell...
Yep time will tell

Yes his shot has improved mechanically he took 2 3 point attempts or 1 he was open just missed it as long as he takes the shots that are given to him. FTs he just never shot one yesterday but I’m told by coaches FTs shooting is really good and I’m confident in my son he will make them why bcuz he said he will. His shooting won’t be an issue st all whether teams sag off him or not tell u why he will be hard to matchup with on the perimeter bcuz he is so big strong and fast he will cause problems against most smaller guards guarding him especially in the post that we all didn’t even see yet. He scored multiple times over carsen and not many players in college physically looks like him or can guard like him so what does that say. Yes he had a few T/O is is aware of them and his goal all season to keep it less than 2 a game at all cost. He got tired had not played 30 min at all last season and who was he guarding full court carsen a very hard cover than Cline running through a ton of screens than Aaron a super athlete just gotta get his stamina up he’ll be fine. He has set goals for himself sure to lead this team take care of the ball make good decisions and try to help this team win a lot of games. If u want my predictions I say he’s a double double waiting to happen and done triple doubles waiting to happen his value is more than his shooting why Cline Sasha carsen evan hunter Aaron Grady even Haarms all can make open shots and he can really pass the ball. Rhondo don’t shoot at all but he can really pass the ball as long as he has multiple shooters around him. He will shoot the ball this season how many he makes we’ll see as long as he taking shots given to him that’s what will be needed to keep defenses on there toes.

Really appreciate the insight. Think it is very interesting that the input from NBA was to make sure he doesn't sacrifice his overall game just to focus on shooting. His overall floor game and leadership is his biggest value to this team and moving forward at the next level.

Was reading this article on Ben Simmons and it really made me think of Nojel.

Simmons took nearly half his shots at 3ft an in and only 60 or so shots outside of 12ft. Yet everyone keeps harping on his shooting even as was Rookie of the year.

I think Nojels ability to slash and get inside is going to be critical for us this season. I hope he is shooting most of his shots 3ft and in because we need that to be balanced without a Haas type established low post player. Having Nojel post up smaller guards is going to draw double teams and lead to kick outs for open 3s. This is going to be a big part of our offense this year IMO.

Really appreciate the insight. Think it is very interesting that the input from NBA was to make sure he doesn't sacrifice his overall game just to focus on shooting. His overall floor game and leadership is his biggest value to this team and moving forward at the next level.

Simmons took nearly half his shots at 3ft an in and only 60 or so shots outside of 12ft. Yet everyone keeps harping on his shooting even as was Rookie of the year.

I think Nojels ability to slash and get inside is going to be critical for us this season. I hope he is shooting most of his shots 3ft and in because we need that to be balanced without a Haas type established low post player. Having Nojel post up smaller guards is going to draw double teams and lead to kick outs for open 3s. This is going to be a big part of our offense this year IMO.
Yeah, right now I’m more interested in Nojel’s post up game and his free throw shooting than his 3 point shooting.

Reactions: mryankee2397
Yeah, right now I’m more interested in Nojel’s post up game and his free throw shooting than his 3 point shooting.
Me too. Post up game is real gonna be hard to guard down there has great footwork and he can pass out the post. FTs is the key for him I remind him of that often bcuz he’s gonna get fouled a lot and he needs to make his FTs. He knows that why he works on them everyday.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

Sir man you really understand. Working out for those 2 NBA teams helped him greatly bcuz it lifted this burden off his mind about his shooting. The advice to him was exactly that do what you do great and everything you just said he showed that in those workouts while actually shooting the ball well but they let him no you have many intangibles to your game than just your shooting and he came home after those workouts with a new sense of purpose and got back to his roots of his working on his strengths of his game while honing on his shooting. It really restored his confidence in who he is as a player. He actually showed some of that in the scrimmage this past sat most of his points came from just that 3/5 feet from the basket and dangerous from there but his ability to pass makes him even dangerous bcuz he sees the floor so well knows were the open shooters are and that was on full display this sat as well. 4 key things my son brings to this team leadership ball handling passing defense rebounding and scoring all will cause matchup problems bcuz he’s 6”7 at 220 pounds athletic quick 6”9 wingspan high basketball IQ great feel for the game will cause real problems when smaller guards guard him and if there is a switch 4/5 trying to guard him. As long as he has multiple shooters around him and they are knocking down shots you gotta have to pick your poison he now just gotta play and put all of this on the court. By the way if he just take shots that are given to him he’ll be fine in that area as well. The thing I saw from my son in that scrimmage that made me happy for him he was having fun that is what he needs no pressure but go out and just have some fun he do that gone be a fun ride.

I just read this Article and man it really hit home. My son knows who he is and his strengths to his game and until somebody stops him he’s gonna play to his strengths remember tho he is 6”7 at 220 pounds. He will help this team win games as long as he be him and not worry what the casual fan and media thinks of his shooting bcuz shooting won’t define him as a player. He’s at his best being him like carsen is at his being him and if both carsen and nojel be themselves buckle up boilers that gonna be fun to watch.

Sir man you really understand. Working out for those 2 NBA teams helped him greatly bcuz it lifted this burden off his mind about his shooting. The advice to him was exactly that do what you do great and everything you just said he showed that in those workouts while actually shooting the ball well but they let him no you have many intangibles to your game than just your shooting and he came home after those workouts with a new sense of purpose and got back to his roots of his working on his strengths of his game while honing on his shooting. It really restored his confidence in who he is as a player. He actually showed some of that in the scrimmage this past sat most of his points came from just that 3/5 feet from the basket and dangerous from there but his ability to pass makes him even dangerous bcuz he sees the floor so well knows were the open shooters are and that was on full display this sat as well. 4 key things my son brings to this team leadership ball handling passing defense rebounding and scoring all will cause matchup problems bcuz he’s 6”7 at 220 pounds athletic quick 6”9 wingspan high basketball IQ great feel for the game will cause real problems when smaller guards guard him and if there is a switch 4/5 trying to guard him. As long as he has multiple shooters around him and they are knocking down shots you gotta have to pick your poison he now just gotta play and put all of this on the court. By the way if he just take shots that are given to him he’ll be fine in that area as well. The thing I saw from my son in that scrimmage that made me happy for him he was having fun that is what he needs no pressure but go out and just have some fun he do that gone be a fun ride.

You mean these kids are supposed to have fun too? LOL. That's great to hear. From time to time I think we have to remind ourselves that this is just a game.

You mean these kids are supposed to have fun too? LOL. That's great to hear. From time to time I think we have to remind ourselves that this is just a game.
It is just a game and I remind my son daily go out and just have some fun and he has that’s what all this is about.

Very impressed with Nojel's interview on the pay site. Well spoken, understanding of his current part in the program and his assessment of other players on the team.
As a young sophomore, it appears his realization of the big picture of college basketball, academics and being part of a solid program is above the curve.
So glad this young man is a student athlete at Purdue.

Also, I would not be concerned with turnovers in a scrimmage. Where would you more likely take chances, in a practice game or a real one? Turnovers are a stat that is a little unfair for some players. A missed shot is a turnover if the offensive team does not get the rebound. We rave about players that shoot 50% from beyond 15-20 feet but say nothing about the fact that he or she missed half the shots.

Nojel should always be surrounded by shooters. It sounds like every other player in the rotation may be a good shooter, assuming Williams and Dow aren’t quite ready. My understanding is that every other player can shoot well from 3, including Carsen, Cline, Evan, Grady, Sasha, Wheeler, Haarms, and Hunter.

Reactions: mryankee2397
Nojel should always be surrounded by shooters. It sounds like every other player in the rotation may be a good shooter, assuming Williams and Dow aren’t quite ready. My understanding is that every other player can shoot well from 3, including Carsen, Cline, Evan, Grady, Sasha, Wheeler, Haarms, and Hunter.
Yep yep if they all knocking down shots he will find them on the court. All of them hit a 3 pointer except Haarms but he did take a couple 3s they eventually gonna fall in scrimmage. Nojel did take a 3 pointer just didn’t fall. His passing is special

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT