ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers and de-commits on the rise

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
Earlier this week, when Tennessee became an issue, I checked their site and saw they had 14 de-commits in the last month.

Today I saw that Illinois has at least 8 players who have announced their intentions to transfer.

I have to believe we will see similar trends from Texas A&M and Flo St.

these are not players who were suspended, or not getting enough playing time. these are just players tired of losing, and wanting to go somewhere else.

the amount of players seeking transfers or a reason to leave and jump on a different bandwagon is becoming alarming.

Reactions: ITSC-Ret
Perhaps you are just a bit more aware of it this season since Purdue has a shot at getting some of these guys on campus.

Perhaps you are just a bit more aware of it this season since Purdue has a shot at getting some of these guys on campus.

perhaps.. and the fact of reading more posts here by informative posters. Before this year I didn't pay much attention to it, and neither did the media. With the increased amount of sports media sites, comes an increased awareness.

But still, for a program like Tennessee to have 12 de-commits in one month and for Illinois to lose 8 players i n one week seems like a lot.

Earlier this week, when Tennessee became an issue, I checked their site and saw they had 14 de-commits in the last month.

Today I saw that Illinois has at least 8 players who have announced their intentions to transfer.

I have to believe we will see similar trends from Texas A&M and Flo St.

these are not players who were suspended, or not getting enough playing time. these are just players tired of losing, and wanting to go somewhere else.

the amount of players seeking transfers or a reason to leave and jump on a different bandwagon is becoming alarming.
Add Markese Stepp to that list. He decommitted from ND.

What are he chances we get Markeese step. Now that we have 0 RB recruits in this class I think we can get him. We will have 2 senior RB's next year along with 3 Juniors if BLJ doesnt transfer.

The other thread says we're over our scholarship limit by 6! If you add somebody, be prepared to say goodbye to somebody else

The reality is we could be reading these nice tweets from recruits this week about how they love Purdue and next week they may be gone! Purdue is targeting 3wrs and a couple of DBs. The reality is if we sign 1-2 this week, those WRs and DBs we liked last week will be moving on elsewhere

Academics......couldn't make ND's requirements....
Assume that’s nd’s spin? They like to use that whenever they can. I contend it may be hard to get in due to their limited size but once there it’s not that much more rigorous than any other liberal arts school.

Reactions: Purdue85
Assume that’s nd’s spin? They like to use that whenever they can. I contend it may be hard to get in due to their limited size but once there it’s not that much more rigorous than any other liberal arts school.

Actually, if you are a faculty member at ND you risk a lot by giving a grade lower than a C.

A friend of mine, after getting his Ph.D. at Purdue, took a faculty position at ND. He would give Ds and Fs. He would then be called in to speak with the department head and dean. They would tell him there are no D or F students at ND. His reply was theses students would be getting Ds and Fs if they were at Purdue. He did not get tenure.

Actually, if you are a faculty member at ND you risk a lot by giving a grade lower than a C.

A friend of mine, after getting his Ph.D. at Purdue, took a faculty position at ND. He would give Ds and Fs. He would then be called in to speak with the department head and dean. They would tell him there are no D or F students at ND. His reply was theses students would be getting Ds and Fs if they were at Purdue. He did not get tenure.

Yeah....sure....LOL

I have received similar guidance teaching at other colleges. A professor has to fill out a lot a paperwork to the administration to justify issuing a D or F especially to an athlete. this has led to my bias of athletes being treated as special 'elite" students. I've had both good and bad and some who felt entitled .

Yeah....sure....LOL

ND isn't the only school that does not give Ds and Fs. We recently had a faculty member come from Cornell and he was teaching one of our senior courses. He came to see me and told me about a student not doing anything and asked me what he should do? I told him to give the student an F. He looked at me incredulously and asked, "I can do that? At Cornell we couldn't."

Read "The Education of a Speculator" by Victor Niederhoffer. He talks about Niederhoffering his way through Harvard where the lowest grade you could get was a C.

The average GPA at Harvard is 3.65. I suspect ND's average GPA is comparable.

http://www.gradeinflation.com

Last edited:
Knee from last season supposedly. You'd think ND would have known about this before they accepted his verbal.

I can agree with you on this. the guy is now tweeting he's coming to Purdue for a visit. Purdue's academic standards are just as high if not higher than Notre Dame.

I have received similar guidance teaching at other colleges. A professor has to fill out a lot a paperwork to the administration to justify issuing a D or F especially to an athlete. this has led to my bias of athletes being treated as special 'elite" students. I've had both good and bad and some who felt entitled .

It works the other way, too. My dad was once critiqued for giving too many A's when he was a psych prof.

A blast from the past, in the 1960s at Purdue there were caps on As and Bs. A prof could give no more that 10% As and NMT 15% Bs, thus 75% of each class got Cs and below.

A blast from the past, in the 1960s at Purdue there were caps on As and Bs. A prof could give no more that 10% As and NMT 15% Bs, thus 75% of each class got Cs and below.

I heard that was partially true in the 70's as well as my calculus and chemistry profs said you should feel proud if you got a C ! My roommate loved thermo dynamics so much, he decided to take it three times! He graduated with about a 2.2 gpa and because of it only received 8 job offers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT