ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

He'd bring some experience, size, maturity (?) to a position of need. I don't think we're too far from desperation at this point.
Agreed, but I just don't see him as a significant upgrade from Newman or Loyer, so I don't believe it changes my expectations for the team.

He'd bring some experience, size, maturity (?) to a position of need. I don't think we're too far from desperation at this point.

I have no problem with the rules and I believe Painter should be searching for players in the portal but he has been pretty outspoken on the issue and has specifically said it isn't in the players best interest to jump from team to team. Now he's hosting a guy who is looking for not his 2nd, not 3rd, but 4th team. The guy doesn't sound like a guy who is looking to be a student first which is part of Painter's shtick.

I can follow this.....when you're down to Plan D or E....it's rough sailing. You never know, though......maybe something happens at the last minute.....or someone gives you a big surprise with the opportunity. You can't count on that, but you also try to play the best hand you can with the cards you have. It hasn't been the best offseason certainly, but things could be worse.

Reactions: Schnelk
I can follow this.....when you're down to Plan D or E....it's rough sailing. You never know, though......maybe something happens at the last minute.....or someone gives you a big surprise with the opportunity. You can't count on that, but you also try to play the best hand you can with the cards you have. It hasn't been the best offseason certainly, but things could be worse.
Tex, I agree it could be worse. If Smith's foot isn't 100%, or Morton can't handle the point we may see what worse looks like!!

I hate being negative, I'd much rather be talking about how hopeful I am for the upcoming season. But man, this transfer/portal/NIL combination has been very discouraging. Maybe it's just a one time thing and we benefit from those things in the future. I sure hope so.

Reactions: Schnelk
I don't think it's "hypocrisy" to go after players looking for a new school. Just because he doesn't like the rule doesn't mean he can't still use that rule to benefit Purdue.

I don't like that there are seat belt laws, but I still wear a seat belt.
Exactly. It's not ideal for Purdue to play next year with only 4 scholarship guards. He would be stupid to not take a transfer, even if he doesn't like the rules. A stop gap 5th year guy like this is ideal because they can save another scholarship for next year.

I have no problem with the rules and I believe Painter should be searching for players in the portal but he has been pretty outspoken on the issue and has specifically said it isn't in the players best interest to jump from team to team. Now he's hosting a guy who is looking for not his 2nd, not 3rd, but 4th team. The guy doesn't sound like a guy who is looking to be a student first which is part of Painter's shtick.

Ok. But thinking it's not in the best interest of the player to bounce around doesn't mean he can't pursue a player doing that. The player has already made his decision, it would be hypocrisy if he tried to convince a player to bounce around while saying players shouldn't.

Why would a guy come here if he didn't think he would start? Who cares what the other guys think: Don't like it, don't like him out play you for minutes.

We're in a desperate need of a 1 year hired gun. If this guy is the best available and can help the team make the tourney, then sign him.
Deal with hurt feelings later.
Seriously, it's a competition. Who cares if Morton or Smith thought they were guaranteed a starting spot due to lack of competition? Time to earn it.

Agree to some extent but the difference is "the guy" at Miami would have clearly been the best guard on our team. He was all B12 last year. This guy was a backup on an 11-20 team that went 4-16 in conference. Add to that he is going to play for his 4th school, I just don't see the benefit unless we are just desperate at this point.
We're absolutely in desperation mode.

Reactions: boilerball2021
I still don't understand how, as a Top 10 team last year with serious playing time available in the backcourt, somehow Painter has gotten this low on the transfer portal hierarchy. Nothing against Jenkins. But this is absolutely disappointing...
It’s not too hard to understand. Pack was offered $800K by Miami - otherwise we get him. Texas gave Tyrese Hunter a strong @$$ offer too.

We didn’t really go after Malachi Smith - he never visited.

Jenkins averaged 15-16 ppg his first 3 seasons on 41% 3PT shooting and 80% from the FT line. This is a good pick-up for Purdue. We could have done much worse.

He's a guard, but not a primary ball handler. As I stated above, he only avg less than 1 assist per game last year. He's a Boiler now so I hope he blossoms here, but he sure isn't what I was hoping for in the portal.

There might be 1 spot available so something might open up like an Octeus. Crazier times in this environment than back then. I feel better now with Jenkins who provides depth and a buffer for injuries or illness at the guard spot.

There might be 1 spot available so something might open up like an Octeus. Crazier times in this environment than back then. I feel better now with Jenkins who provides depth and a buffer for injuries or illness at the guard spot.
He’s not depth - he’s coming to Purdue to start.

Reactions: TX4GB
It’s not too hard to understand. Pack was offered $800K by Miami - otherwise we get him. Texas gave Tyrese Hunter a strong @$$ offer too.

We didn’t really go after Malachi Smith - he never visited.

Jenkins averaged 15-16 ppg his first 3 seasons on 41% 3PT shooting and 80% from the FT line. This is a good pick-up for Purdue. We could have done much worse.
He scored like that when he was at UNLV. When he played for Utah, against better competition, especially in conference play, his scoring went downhill. He's not a point guard and not an assist guy. So I'm trying to understand why we went after him. If we expect him to be a scorer in the B1G when he couldn't do it in the PAC12, I'm not sure how that computes. If he's being brought in as a back-up guard, I question what the strategy was, other than just filling depth.

As far as "strong @ss offers", I'm not condoning $800k types of offers. But we need to be in a position to be competitive. We are a Top 25 program.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
He’s not depth - he’s coming to Purdue to start.
Well whether he starts or not he provides depth. And according to Pat he’s not a pg and can’t score against good competition , so if that’s true, he probably won’t start. Man I’m getting all this conflicting info, I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens instead of predicting the future with 100 percent certainty.

• Haha
Reactions: boilermc and Roeder
He scored like that when he was at UNLV. When he played for Utah, against better competition, especially in conference play, his scoring went downhill. He's not a point guard and not an assist guy. So I'm trying to understand why we went after him. If we expect him to be a scorer in the B1G when he couldn't do it in the PAC12, I'm not sure how that computes. If he's being brought in as a back-up guard, I question what the strategy was, other than just filling depth.

As far as "strong @ss offers", I'm not condoning $800k types of offers. But we need to be in a position to be competitive. We are a Top 25 program.
He’s NOT being brought in as a back-up. I cannot believe Knuckleheads would think Purdue couldn’t use an experienced guard who has averaged 15 ppg, shot 41% from 3, and 80% from the FT line over a 4-year career so far. Perhaps last year was an anomaly playing on a poorly-coached team with bad chemistry?

You think Painter’s going to start a currently-injured FR over this guy? Really? GTFOH.
Like you, I don’t know for sure what Painter will do. I do know that Jenkins doesn’t stand out as an automatic starter. Smith, Loyer, Waddell, or even potentially Gillis or TKR could start. We don’t know.

We do know Jenkins isn’t a PG and hasn’t performed well against P5 opponents.

He’s NOT being brought in as a back-up. I cannot believe Knuckleheads would think Purdue couldn’t use an experienced guard who has averaged 15 ppg, shot 41% from 3, and 80% from the FT line over a 4-year career so far. Perhaps last year was an anomaly playing on a poorly-coached team with bad chemistry?
Look at his stats against P5 opponents only. They resemble his stats from Utah.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Who is your son on the team?

Seriously, you’re advocating starting a FR, including one who is currently injured?
I’m not advocating anything. Ideally we would have a proven ball handler ready to start at the 1. We don’t have that. I do know Jenkins’ ball handling skills are not great. Synergy ranks him very poor in transition and very poor as the pick and role ball handler. That tells me he’s not great putting the ball on the floor.

Jenkins and Newman are very similar players. I could see Jenkins as his backup.

Who is your son on the team?

Seriously, you’re advocating starting a FR, including one who is currently injured?
I can see Jenkins at the 2 with Morton or Loyer at the point if Smith is hurt. Did Jenkins play PG at the other schools?

call me unimpressed. He lost his starting job the last 2 years. He’s not a point guard. His career averages were not made against division one powerhouse schools. If he couldn’t start for Utah, he’s not going to start for Purdue. We should have just given one of our walkons a 1 year scholarship! Why did we even give this guy a look? We didn’t need another shooting guard who can’t dribble or pass the ball! As I said, we have enough shooting guards. What we needed was not another experienced shooter coming off our bench. What we needed was a point guard who. Could get the ball up the court! I would have banked the scholarship!

call me unimpressed. He lost his starting job the last 2 years. He’s not a point guard. His career averages were not made against division one powerhouse schools. If he couldn’t start for Utah, he’s not going to start for Purdue. We should have just given one of our walkons a 1 year scholarship! Why did we even give this guy a look? We didn’t need another shooting guard who can’t dribble or pass the ball! As I said, we have enough shooting guards. What we needed was not another experienced shooter coming off our bench. What we needed was a point guard who. Could get the ball up the court! I would have banked the scholarship!
What’s the advantage of banking a scholarship over giving it to a fifth year senior?

There is nothing to bank. We have 2 or 3 open scholarships and he is a 1 year player. Solid pickup. We’re not finding Chris Paul in the portal.

He averaged 8.5 ppg in the only year he played P5 competition. And that average was skewed by out of conference games. I'm asking the question as to what the strategy is with choosing him? He's not a point guard, which we need badly. He's not a prolific scorer. Yeah, he's experienced, just like a ton of other players. So what? What makes you think he's going to start? Painter wouldn't guarantee a starting role to a transfer, right?

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
I read a journal and courier article that suggested he would start at shooting guard and pair up with one of our younger players who would play point guard. And he would start not because of his ball skills but rather because of his shooting ability and supposedly because of his ability to play defense. I have no idea if he is a great man to man defense player or not. But the J&c seems to think our starting pg will be an inexperienced player and this guy will take the place of one of our existing shooters primarily because of his defense?
To me that sounded like the j&c guy had no clue either what Painter sees in him and was just trying to write something positive rather than being objective.

as for my expressed desire of banking the scholarship let’s just say I’d rather just not use it than to give it away . That’s my definition of banking a scholarship.

On a related note, I’m curious, do grad students have any academic requirements they have to maintain to keep their eligibility for the second semester? Do they have to complete a minimum number of hours? Or do they just have to be enrolled in and complete one class to keep their eligibility for the second semester?

I read a journal and courier article that suggested he would start at shooting guard and pair up with one of our younger players who would play point guard. And he would start not because of his ball skills but rather because of his shooting ability and supposedly because of his ability to play defense. I have no idea if he is a great man to man defense player or not. But the J&c seems to think our starting pg will be an inexperienced player and this guy will take the place of one of our existing shooters primarily because of his defense?
To me that sounded like the j&c guy had no clue either what Painter sees in him and was just trying to write something positive rather than being objective.

as for my expressed desire of banking the scholarship let’s just say I’d rather just not use it than to give it away . That’s my definition of banking a scholarship.
That’s strange the only J&C article I saw on this pickup mentioned no such thing. It said we had some inexperience at guard and the two freshmen would share pg duties with Morton. No implication that loyer or smith would start at PG. Can you post a link?

painter was just interviewed this week on this and he basically said Morton will be the starting PG unless he can get a “quintessential point.”

Then it just goes into the ether. Why not use it on some depth/scoring? I hope this guy wins a game or two for us next season and all the naysayers can suck it.

It's like your PTO at work...if you don't use it you essentially lose it.

He averaged 8.5 ppg in the only year he played P5 competition. And that average was skewed by out of conference games. I'm asking the question as to what the strategy is with choosing him? He's not a point guard, which we need badly. He's not a prolific scorer. Yeah, he's experienced, just like a ton of other players. So what? What makes you think he's going to start? Painter wouldn't guarantee a starting role to a transfer, right?
Because we have scholarships to burn for a 1 year player, need some proven scoring at the guard position which we don't, I don't believe it's about being a true PG, but having the ability to score at the guard position, because the opportunities will be there with our Frontline.

I don't believe CMP would guarantee a starting spot, but he will have a great shot over what's on the roster. He seems to have some ability to run an offense, but when the opportunity is there take it. Plus, he seems to be a good shooter and we wanted Hunter back in a bad way, but he wasn't a great scorer. I don't see any harm in this.

Time will tell....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT