ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

So are we at the stage we believe there will won’t be any more transfers out for this team? Noticed Newman doing some social media posts retweeted by the Team which makes me think he is staying.

So are we at the stage we believe there will won’t be any more transfers out for this team? Noticed Newman doing some social media posts retweeted by the Team which makes me think he is staying.
I'd assume so. Players likely don't want to be left behind by making a late decision to transfer

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
But you have to think a good portion of those leaving P6 programs are transferring down because they couldn't get playing time at a P6 program... Llewellyn was a 4 star, top 100 recruit with offers from OSU, UVA, Tennessee and other P6 programs.
Plus there are a fair amount of late bloomers who didn't get high major offers at age 17. Recruiting at that age is imperfect and partly based on potential and projected development.

I haven't seen any of Llewellyn but he average 14 pts, 2.5 assists and 4 rebounds during his 3 seasons at Princeton. He also shot 38.6% from 3 last season
You have to consider the competition Princeton is facing. Does he have the speed and athleticism to do that at the P5 level ?

You have to consider the competition Princeton is facing. Does he have the speed and athleticism to do that at the P5 level ?
Bone, you haven't commented on Curbelo. What are your thoughts. I'm on the fence, so curious of other's opinions.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Bone, you haven't commented on Curbelo. What are your thoughts. I'm on the fence, so curious of other's opinions.
I don't know. He's about 6'1, very crafty with the ball and can get into the lane but a crummy 3pt shot or outside shot for that matter.

Why'd he end up at Princeton? Has he listed his offers yet?
From an on3 article about transfer offers:
Alabama, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Minnesota, DePaul, Northwestern, Creighton, Western Kentucky, Clemson, Cal, West Virginia, Butler, Ohio State, UNLV, Georgetown, George Mason, SMU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Seton Hall, Providence, Texas A&M, Miami, Memphis, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Washington State, Purdue, USC, Virginia, Wisconsin, Oklahoma.
About his commitment to Princeton:
"My Plan A is to hopefully play professional basketball somewhere, but if that doesn't work out, my Plan B, going to Princeton, is obviously to get a Princeton degree," Llewellyn said. "That can be better than a lot of other peoples' Plan A, so it was just the mix of academics, basketball and setting myself in both ways."

Seems to have a good head on him and would look for a good masters program

There has been no legit indicator he was ever leaving in the first place.
True. Was just using his name as a point of speculation among posters. Perhaps now that time has passed, the likelihood of anyone leaving is greatly diminished.

Reactions: Schnelk
From an on3 article about transfer offers:

About his commitment to Princeton:

Seems to have a good head on him and would look for a good masters program
I agree. Good to have a plan B and he's right, a Princeton degree can't hurt.
Watched a little video. The way he moves (maybe it's just the hair) reminds me of Ivey. Doesn't seem to be a great athlete but likes to penetrate and probe.
He'd probably be a good addition.

I remember Drake got busted for stealing a TV from an apartment on campus. I also remember that Drake is Stevie Wonder's cousin. Might explain why he didn't see the po po after he snatched that TV.
Didn't he also get in trouble for breaking into the PUB tavern? Remember something about that but can't remember the details.

I agree. Good to have a plan B and he's right, a Princeton degree can't hurt.
Watched a little video. The way he moves (maybe it's just the hair) reminds me of Ivey. Doesn't seem to be a great athlete but likes to penetrate and probe.
He'd probably be a good addition.
I’d take Llewellyn if he wanted to come to Purdue. Not sold on picking up a juco but that kid looks like a player. I know it’s early and i’m sure they’ll be more offers go out but at the same time you don’t want to get behind the 8 ball and have to settle for someone at the end. I don’t see us getting a guy from a P5 program unless he falls in our lap. Most P5 guys go down or to a blue blood.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Am I missing anyone that has a Purdue offer? Seems like a solid list who do you guys prefer….

Justin Hill - Murray State
(Followed his coach to LSU)

Sean East - top-rated JUCO

Jaelin Llewellyn - Princeton

Dylan Penn - Bellarmine
Penn, not big on past Iuco's here.

I remember Drake got busted for stealing a TV from an apartment on campus. I also remember that Drake is Stevie Wonder's cousin. Might explain why he didn't see the po po after he snatched that TV.
Yes he did, unfortunately.

Stevie Wonder’s dad lived in East Chicago.

Reactions: Boilermb
Sean East does have a midrange pull-up, floater to his game. This was back in December:

Reactions: SKYDOG
Yes he did, unfortunately.

Stevie Wonder’s dad lived in East Chicago.
And if you really love me won't you tell me
Then I won't have to be
Playing around.......

Not you. I just like the Stevie Wonder song.

I’ve mentioned this a couple of times here over the years but the 76-77 and 77-78 seasons in the ECW sectional and Gary West Side Regionals were absolute battles. ECW, ECR, Gary Roosevelt, Gary Emerson and Bishop Noll were all state championship worthy. How Merrillville, with Seneff and Jelesky, were able to beat us (Noll) in 78 still boggles my mind.
Paul Sember's baseline jumper in OT against Gary Roosevelt had us making hotel plans for the Lafayette Semi-State the next weekend. I blame Coach King. The team was flat for that game against the purple-pj'ed pirates.

Reactions: DrEss and Boilermb
What if Hunter comes back and we get Phinisee? No announcement yet from Ivey.

I would $hit post about Painter being a bum coach for a few days but still cheer them on in the fall.

In all seriousness, Painter needs to construct his roster for 2 acts next year. The first is a team that can handle the grind of the Big Ten season where Edey is the main focus. The second act is the one that is unleashed at tournament time when we go small and play uptempo. Look at the teams in the F4, that is how they get there.

Phinisee, big fat no. We have to do better than that in the portal. We've already seen what he can or better yet, can't do against good competition. He had one good game against us. 4 pts and 1 assist per game and shoots 31% from the floor. C'mon we have to be able to do better than that.

Phinisee, big fat no. We have to do better than that in the portal. We've already seen what he can or better yet, can't do against good competition. He had one good game against us. 4 pts and 1 assist per game and shoots 31% from the floor. C'mon we have to be able to do better than that.
Hopefully we are recruiting Eric harder than we are Rob.

I would $hit post about Painter being a bum coach for a few days but still cheer them on in the fall.

In all seriousness, Painter needs to construct his roster for 2 acts next year. The first is a team that can handle the grind of the Big Ten season where Edey is the main focus. The second act is the one that is unleashed at tournament time when we go small and play uptempo. Look at the teams in the F4, that is how they get there.
(1) Why would we not just play the entire season with our best 'tournament team'? It would be unfair/unrealistic to expect a team to play one way for 4 months and then flip a switch to a different style of play and beat good teams that have been playing their style for 4 months.
(2) I'd like to be optimistic about Hunter returning, but the fact that Ivey has not yet declared (but obviously will) just makes me conclude these guys are in no hurry to announce, nothing more.

That would be interesting if Hunter came back which I suppose is a possibility and not a bad one really.

Ivey may not of announced yet, but it is likely a safe bet he is gone.
I'm ready to move on from Hunter. He's still a jump shooter Painter is trying to force into being a PG. He's not able to get his own shot or cause problems for the D.

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler
Didn’t Hunter and the rest of seniors say before the season started that they wouldn’t use the extra year and move on? Plus I believe Painter even talked about how it would help with recruiting in the future knowing they wouldn’t be back. Ivey isn’t coming back, even though some don’t think so but his draft stock is sky high!

Last edited:
A opening night lineup of Edey/Gillis/Newman/Hunter/Phinisee probably happens, probably looking at a 5th/6th Big Ten finish with a 8-10 tourney seeding. If it happens I root like hell for Purdue, it wouldn’t be something I hope happens though. I’ve watched Phinisee for 4 years, he’s a good defensive below average offensive player. The backcourt would be extremely undersized although it would be experienced and old lol.

Reactions: TX4GB
Didn’t Hunter and the rest of seniors say before the season started that they wouldn’t use the extra year and move on? Plus I believe Painter even talked about how it would help with recruiting in the future knowing they wouldn’t be back. Ivey isn’t coming back, even though some don’t think so but his draft stock is sky high!
I thought so too about Hunter. I saw the official post from Sasha but nothing yet from Eric or Trevion. Not saying they are coming back but things change. Sasha was here 5 years so I can see why he is leaving and not pulling a Davison.

A opening night lineup of Edey/Gillis/Newman/Hunter/Phinisee probably happens, probably looking at a 5th/6th Big Ten finish with a 8-10 tourney seeding. If it happens I root like hell for Purdue, it wouldn’t be something I hope happens though. I’ve watched Phinisee for 4 years, he’s a good defensive below average offensive player. The backcourt would be extremely undersized although it would be experienced and old lol.
I could see Hunter and Phinisee rotating at PG with Newman at the 2. Maybe Morton starting at the wing for help with ball handling. Yep, big guns coming the following year.

ADVERTISEMENT