ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

I can’t remember what I did yesterday, but I remember Drake had a python looking snake on his EC Washington letterman’s jacket. Drake the Snake. He was legendary in EC back in the day.
Drake the Snake was one of the reasons I chose Purdue to go to school.

Reactions: delarno and DrEss
I’ve mentioned this a couple of times here over the years but the 76-77 and 77-78 seasons in the ECW sectional and Gary West Side Regionals were absolute battles. ECW, ECR, Gary Roosevelt, Gary Emerson and Bishop Noll were all state championship worthy. How Merrillville, with Seneff and Jelesky, were able to beat us (Noll) in 78 still boggles my mind.

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned this a couple of times here over the years but the 76-77 and 77-78 seasons in the ECW sectional and Gary West Side Regionals were absolute battles. ECW, ECR, Gary Roosevelt, Gary Emerson and Bishop Noll we’re all state championship worthy. How Merrillville, with Seneff and Jelesky, were able to beat us (Noll) in 78 still boggles my mind.
FIRE ALL THE GARY AND EC COACHES!!!

I’ve mentioned this a couple of times here over the years but the 76-77 and 77-78 seasons in the ECW sectional and Gary West Side Regionals were absolute battles. ECW, ECR, Gary Roosevelt, Gary Emerson and Bishop Noll were all state championship worthy. How Merrillville, with Seneff and Jelesky, were able to beat us (Noll) in 78 still boggles my mind.
Yes sir. Don’t forget the Hammond High teams, undefeated in the regular season and ranked #1 in the state in 73-74 & 74-75 somewhere around there. They just could get out of the Gary Regional. Probably the the best Indiana high school team to not win a state championship.

Out of all those good Region teams and players back in the 70’s Purdue was only able to get Drake Morris from EC Washington. IU for that matter only got Rich Valevicius from Hammond High until he transferred. Purdue coaches should have camped out in the Region during those days. There is no way Jim Bradley from EC Roosevelt should not have been in a Purdue uniform. Or Thad Garner from Bishop Noll. Or Brian Banks from Hammond High. On and on and on.

Yes, great names from our youth. Thad had a nice career at UM. Not sure if Purdue recruited him. I would hope they did.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
There's an opportunity for 2 guards to come in and be starters from day 1. I hope Painter is selling that to these potential transfer/portal guys.
We need guys who can handle the ball, get their own shot and create problems for the D to get others open.

Reactions: delarno
There's an opportunity for 2 guards to come in and be starters from day 1. I hope Painter is selling that to these potential transfer/portal guys.
We need guys who can handle the ball, get their own shot and create problems for the D to get others open.
I am sure he is selling that OPPORTUNITY to play.

I would be happy to take any of the dudes from Murray State. Have tournament experience plus they are physical and can get open shots.

I think Painter needs to construct his roster for two acts, one centered around Edey that is ready for the grind that is Big Ten season and one centered around Furst/mobile 5 that is NCAA tourney ready. Lull teams into thinking we are going to feed the post for 40 minutes to a run and gun.

I would be happy to take any of the dudes from Murray State. Have tournament experience plus they are physical and can get open shots.

I think Painter needs to construct his roster for two acts, one centered around Edey that is ready for the grind that is Big Ten season and one centered around Furst/mobile 5 that is NCAA tourney ready. Lull teams into thinking we are going to feed the post for 40 minutes to a run and gun.
I like your thinking.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef and BBG
The last player was F Eden Ewing - no luck there. Center Nic Calasan - somewhat. Carl Landry - good luck. Roy Hairston way back. I don’t think we have had a Juco guard. I was just thinking that might be an avenue. Top rated sounds good to me.
Roy was playing when I first started following Purdue. He was a pretty terrific player as I recall. Landry is still one of my favorite Purdue players.

I'm not sure if others have mentioned it, but East is from New Albany, IN (or at least played there). Playing close to home might be attractive for him.
That should help. Maybe he played with Rondale Moore at some point?

Reactions: Purdue80
So you're willing to toss all PU guards away to bring in two others who have shit on their previous team and coaches? I simply don't trust players who do that because it's an indication of "It's all about me" players.

Reactions: Inspector100
So you're willing to toss all PU guards away to bring in two others who have shit on their previous team and coaches? I simply don't trust players who do that because it's an indication of "It's all about me" players.
Yes, because all players who decide to transfer with the current rules were in the perfect situation for them...C'mon man...

Am I missing anyone that has a Purdue offer? Seems like a solid list who do you guys prefer….

Justin Hill - Murray State
(Followed his coach to LSU)

Sean East - top-rated JUCO

Jaelin Llewellyn - Princeton

Dylan Penn - Bellarmine

I can’t remember what I did yesterday, but I remember Drake had a python looking snake on his EC Washington letterman’s jacket. Drake the Snake. He was legendary in EC back in the day.
I remember Drake got busted for stealing a TV from an apartment on campus. I also remember that Drake is Stevie Wonder's cousin. Might explain why he didn't see the po po after he snatched that TV.

Yes, great names from our youth. Thad had a nice career at UM. Not sure if Purdue recruited him. I would hope they did.
Thad Garner in the off-season worked in the Laborers Union, my dad after work one day brought him over, he put on a show with his dunks, I was like 9 or 10, it was awesome.

Reactions: DrEss
I remember Drake got busted for stealing a TV from an apartment on campus. I also remember that Drake is Stevie Wonder's cousin. Might explain why he didn't see the po po after he snatched that TV.
Drake worked at Pepsi for a long time, left there and worked at US Steel, he’s probably retired now.

Reactions: Purdue80
John Hegwood from Roosevelt was a helluve player.

Reactions: SKYDOG and DrEss
Absolutely. It's about winning.
Are you saying IT is shitting on this team by transferring?
Is David Bell shitting on the football team for entering the NFL draft?
Give me a freakin break. This aint little league.
At this level, if a guy has NBA aspirations, it's a business decision. As much as you'd like it to be about the uniform, it's not.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
Am I missing anyone that has a Purdue offer? Seems like a solid list who do you guys prefer….

Justin Hill - Murray State
(Followed his coach to LSU)

Sean East - top-rated JUCO

Jaelin Llewellyn - Princeton

Dylan Penn - Bellarmine
My personal preference, (not that it matters) is getting guys from P5 programs. These guys have competed against the best teams at the highest level. There's a reason guys went to Princeton and Bellarmine.

My personal preference, (not that it matters) is getting guys from P5 programs. These guys have competed against the best teams at the highest level. There's a reason guys went to Princeton and Bellarmine.
But you have to think a good portion of those leaving P6 programs are transferring down because they couldn't get playing time at a P6 program... Llewellyn was a 4 star, top 100 recruit with offers from OSU, UVA, Tennessee and other P6 programs.

But you have to think a good portion of those leaving P6 programs are transferring down because they couldn't get playing time at a P6 program... Llewellyn was a 4 star, top 100 recruit with offers from OSU, UVA, Tennessee and other P6 programs.
that's a good point. I haven't seen much of Llewellyn play. Did he dominate at Bell?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT