ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

That’s crazy to say he refused this year. Have you been following the NIL stuff?
Reread: I said "Last Year" as in the 21-22 season. We had a glaring need at the PG and an immediate starting spot and he didn't upgrade from IT and Hunter when he should have. One of only 4 P5 teams not to use the portal. It haunted us last year and might again this year.

He has shown he can hit the 3 in big spots. Something we didn’t see from another 6-6 guard.

They have their opportunities this year......we shall see. I think this team could be collectively better defensively as well.....don't really know.

Perhaps a step back as some have stated. This team will obviously need to be more efficient as they don't have the offensive edge/margin of error.....however, I predict (uh-oh.....Tex' kiss of death :) ) there won't be quite as many maddening give-away turnovers that we saw sometimes by the bushel the last couple of seasons.

What has shown them to have the potential to be 'better than avg' B10 players? One is a streaky spot up jump shooter who was buried on the bench of the year and the other is a solid defensive player who hits an occasional 3 but lacks the athletic ability to break down the defense.
In my view Brandon was at worst an average Big Ten starter as a redshirt freshman before being buried on the depth charge behind a lottery pick and one of the top three point shooters in the history of the program. He struggled coming off the bench for five to seven minute stretches. It's possible that he has become a worse player from his RS Freshman to Sophomore seasons but to me it seems much more likely that it's an issue of role versus skill.

Ethan shot 44% from three, had a strong assist to turnover rate and played very good defense. He's tall and long, makes great decisions and has deceptively good athleticism, although as you noted, he certainly doesn't have the first step to blow by defenders.

Does that help? You don't have to agree with me, but I'd certainly take those two guys over half the guys in the Big Ten. If you want to go through and name 14 guys between the 2 and 3 that you'd take over those two have at it.

Last edited:

well-that-sucks-bummer.gif

Reactions: TX4GB
I see that Malik Ondigo, who we recruited, is back at Texas Tech. Think he left for a year or two to go to Rice and is now back.... what a strange world we live in.

A couple of caveats here:

1) I think Matt Painter is a good coach and I think he should coach at Purdue as long as he wants barring something dramatic happening.

2) I hope we get this guy.

But.... I can't believe people don't see the hypocrisy of Painter and some of our fan base. Painter says he doesn't like the transfer rules and thinks its bad for the student athletes but then hosts a guy who has already played for three teams (Purdue would be his 4th). I don't know the particular reason why this guy has moved around and I don't really care but come on man, be consistent.

Again, I don't want Painter to stop going after these guys but I wish he'd quit acting like he's taking some kind of moral high ground on the new transfer and NIL rules. Transfers in and out have been part of Purdue basketball as long as Painter has been here.

He fits in nicely as a 1 year stop gap. South Dakota St and Utah are pretty wholesome schools :D.
And UNLV?????😒

Looks like he's leaving Utah because he lost his staring position last year. Started 10 games, only three in conference. I wonder how that would fit in with the current locker room? Guy would probably only come if he thought he would start. Not sure how the guys already on campus would feel about that.

And UNLV?????😒

Looks like he's leaving Utah because he lost his staring position last year. Started 10 games, only three in conference. I wonder how that would fit in with the current locker room? Guy would probably only come if he thought he would start. Not sure how the guys already on campus would feel about that.
Looks like a good shooter from 3 at 40%. I think Newman would be more comfortable at the 3 position, similar to Sasha. Yes, chemistry is biggest concern at this point. We need a guard or 2 in case our current guards get into foul trouble. If you earn it in practice and game time then you get the minutes.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
And UNLV?????😒

Why would a guy come here if he didn't think he would start? Who cares what the other guys think: Don't like it, don't like him out play you for minutes.

We're in a desperate need of a 1 year hired gun. If this guy is the best available and can help the team make the tourney, then sign him.
Deal with hurt feelings later.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Looks like a good shooter from 3 at 40%. I think Newman would be more comfortable at the 3 position, similar to Sasha. Yes, chemistry is biggest concern at this point. We need a guard or 2 in case our current guards get into foul trouble. If you earn it in practice and game time then you get the minutes.
Was chemistry a concern when we were trying to get the kid that ended up at Miami?
No. We just wanted the best guard we could possibley get. It's Painters job to make the chemistry work.

Was chemistry a concern when we were trying to get the kid that ended up at Miami?
No. We just wanted the best guard we could possibley get. It's Painters job to make the chemistry work.
A little different with Nijel since he recruited him in high school and the Weber connection. It might be more about how Jenkins will handle being in a new locker room.

A little different with Nijel since he recruited him in high school and the Weber connection. It might be more about how Jenkins will handle being in a new locker room.
You already got 4 new guys coming in. Not worried about any negative impact of having an older, mature, upperclassman who can start from day 1, come in as well.

Why would Pack have been a chemistry concern?

Why would Pack have been a chemistry concern?
I didn't say he would be. But some people are always concerned that a transfer is going to effect team chemistry or some guys are unhappy for being recruited over.
I'm not a big lockerroom chemistry guy. That's the coaches job to manage. I don't really care whether the players are buddies or not, I just want them to win.

1) I think Matt Painter is a good coach and I think he should coach at Purdue as long as he wants barring something dramatic happening.

But.... I can't believe people don't see the hypocrisy of Painter and some of our fan base. Painter says he doesn't like the transfer rules and thinks its bad for the student athletes but then hosts a guy who has already played for three teams (Purdue would be his 4th). I don't know the particular reason why this guy has moved around and I don't really care but come on man, be consistent.

Again, I don't want Painter to stop going after these guys but I wish he'd quit acting like he's taking some kind of moral high ground on the new transfer and NIL rules. Transfers in and out have been part of Purdue basketball as long as Painter has been here.
I don’t consider it hypocrisy. He can dislike the rules and still play the game.

I didn't say he would be. But some people are always concerned that a transfer is going to effect team chemistry or some guys are unhappy for being recruited over.
I'm not a big lockerroom chemistry guy. That's the coaches job to manage. I don't really care whether the players are buddies or not, I just want them to win.

We need bodies, so Jenkins would be an obvious take. However, our biggest need is PG and he isn’t a PG.

You'd like to address biggest needs/weaknesses, but ultimately if the team is improved.......then it's a win.

That's even factoring in what chemistry issues there may or may not be. I agree with Lenny (gulp.... :) )....that can be exaggerated at times and is Matt Painter's job to work through with the entire team.

He played really well during Utah's non-conference schedule last year. As soon as conference play started he fell off a cliff: In 16.8 mpg during PAC-10 play, he had 7ppg on 31% 2pt and 36.8% 3pt.
Same the year before at UNLV - started All non-conference games and wasn't a starter by the time conference play was half over.

He played really well during Utah's non-conference schedule last year. As soon as conference play started he fell off a cliff: In 16.8 mpg during PAC-10 play, he had 7ppg on 31% 2pt and 36.8% 3pt.
Same the year before at UNLV - started All non-conference games and wasn't a starter by the time conference play was half over.
Depth is needed at this point. Seems similar to Sterling Carter, both played HS in Washington state.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM

I don't think it's "hypocrisy" to go after players looking for a new school. Just because he doesn't like the rule doesn't mean he can't still use that rule to benefit Purdue.

I don't like that there are seat belt laws, but I still wear a seat belt.

Agree to some extent but the difference is "the guy" at Miami would have clearly been the best guard on our team. He was all B12 last year. This guy was a backup on an 11-20 team that went 4-16 in conference. Add to that he is going to play for his 4th school, I just don't see the benefit unless we are just desperate at this point.

Agree to some extent but the difference is "the guy" at Miami would have clearly been the best guard on our team. He was all B12 last year. This guy was a backup on an 11-20 team that went 4-16 in conference. Add to that he is going to play for his 4th school, I just don't see the benefit unless we are just desperate at this point.
He'd bring some experience, size, maturity (?) to a position of need. I don't think we're too far from desperation at this point.

I don't think it's "hypocrisy" to go after players looking for a new school. Just because he doesn't like the rule doesn't mean he can't still use that rule to benefit Purdue.

I don't like that there are seat belt laws, but I still wear a seat belt.
I have no problem with the rules and I believe Painter should be searching for players in the portal but he has been pretty outspoken on the issue and has specifically said it isn't in the players best interest to jump from team to team. Now he's hosting a guy who is looking for not his 2nd, not 3rd, but 4th team. The guy doesn't sound like a guy who is looking to be a student first which is part of Painter's shtick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT