ADVERTISEMENT

Tough, tough loss

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Without our starting PG and on the road, the Boilers fought like wild cats but could not do it and sad that a five second in bounds call prevented them from having a shot. The lack of depth is clearly a factor and these last two losses pushed their NCAA hopes into NIT. But Wilby did show some promise. A prob easy game vs Illinois at home Thursday, then back in the fray. Still think we could be quite good next season and this season is not over. Like MBB, the BT is a crap shoot. What I thought was a weak Minn team throttled first place Rutgers. Never know.

Without our starting PG and on the road, the Boilers fought like wild cats but could not do it and sad that a five second in bounds call prevented them from having a shot. The lack of depth is clearly a factor and these last two losses pushed their NCAA hopes into NIT. But Wilby did show some promise. A prob easy game vs Illinois at home Thursday, then back in the fray. Still think we could be quite good next season and this season is not over. Like MBB, the BT is a crap shoot. What I thought was a weak Minn team throttled first place Rutgers. Never know.
Wilby had a few decent early games and for some reason fell out of favor, team plays hard, team has no depth, falls on the Coaching staff's inability to recruit.

I don't think inability to recruit ( tho not any more on a national level, which few teams do) but to retain. The fly in the ointment has been losing solid players year after year. With MCBryde and Cooper alone this team would be way better. Again, I say, if V holds on to what she has this year and mixes it with her 3 incoming recruits the team could be salty in BT next year. We will see,

Reactions: DocRon
What is the story on our point guard. That we do not get any info on this board any more regarding wbb is unfortunate.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Kayana rolled her ankle early in the Nebraska game. Sounds like she should be available for next game.Touching on earlier threads, Whilby was sick/hurt earlier in year rather than out of favor, as poster proposed. Cooper's departure struck me as likely academic. Not sure what McBryde's issue was as she was certain to get plenty of PT here. although winter in Arizona versus winter here may well have been a factor. my opinions, not verified by authorities, other than KT's situation.

Illinois is a bad but desperate team. Maybe another game to rest Traylor. There are reasons for every departure. The narrAtive is that it keeps happening and year after year
It is thin and consequential. Will next year
Be like that?

Kayana rolled her ankle early in the Nebraska game. Sounds like she should be available for next game.Touching on earlier threads, Whilby was sick/hurt earlier in year rather than out of favor, as poster proposed. Cooper's departure struck me as likely academic. Not sure what McBryde's issue was as she was certain to get plenty of PT here. although winter in Arizona versus winter here may well have been a factor. my opinions, not verified by authorities, other than KT's situation.
Thanks for the info, yea, it was weird, did pretty well early and all of a sudden didn't play, thanks for clearing that up!

I don't think inability to recruit ( tho not any more on a national level, which few teams do) but to retain. The fly in the ointment has been losing solid players year after year. With MCBryde and Cooper alone this team would be way better. Again, I say, if V holds on to what she has this year and mixes it with her 3 incoming recruits the team could be salty in BT next year. We will see,
Yep, they should have a nice team if everyone returns, losing McBryde was a helluve blow, she would have been a 30-35 minute player averaging close to a double double.

You know the definition of insanity, don’t you. Doesn’t the persistent early departures and shortage of quality depth begin to send a signal in Year 13.

McBryde’s issue started with her mother. She was pushing for the transfer. Another case of my kid is better and deserves more playing time.

Yes McBryde did move to a back up role (ironically I think it was Cooper who got those minutes?) and that probably did it, but none of this takes away from the huge number of players that has left this program so thin.

ADVERTISEMENT