ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun: Markell Jones is 2014 IndyStar Mr. Football

and here I was fully convinced he was terrible from those recruiting threads!

Yes, the award has no bearing on future performance, but its always good to know that we have the best football player (results wise) from the entire state coming into the program.

Originally posted by pboiler18:

Yes, the award has no bearing on future performance, but its always good to know that we have the best football player (results wise) from the entire state coming into the program.
While I dont disagree with any of the positions those recruiting threads took, one would think he would have the tools to be a decent college player in some fashion. Really hope we dont Jerome Bettis him when his playing days start.

I would expect a guy like him to be a good returner and an x factor player the way the coaches said they were going to use Hunt.

Originally posted by boiler17:

While I dont disagree with any of the positions those recruiting threads took, one would think he would have the tools to be a decent college player in some fashion. Really hope we dont Jerome Bettis him when his playing days start.

I would expect a guy like him to be a good returner and an x factor player the way the coaches said they were going to use Hunt.

I mean, no shit....recruiting has to get better. My point all along is that it isn't WORSE than it was when Hope is here. Now, does that mean that will turn around this team? Heck no....but the criticism that this staff can't recruit is a farce. Now, can they recruit at a high level? That's the question. The answer looks like no right now.

Why Tiller was successful from like 2000-2005 was that he got a lot of good, developmental type kids in the program based off his early success....then developed them into good football players. I think that's truly the way to build a program here.

Now, that said....and where the previous coach fell short was the development of talent once it got here. I think THIS coach/staff have done well in some areas (some DL, LBs, some DBs,RB) but have fallen woefully short in other areas (WR, QBs backsliding, OL is still a ?). No matter what, it was going to be a process to build this team to back to what it was in the Tiller days. Obviously this is not being helped by complete offensive ineptitude. I really felt that if we went a different direction offensively that we would be a new and better team next year.

Now, all we have to bank on is Shoop having a stroke and having a young grad assistant step in who plays a lot of NCAA football with an Air Raid playbook team to have any hope of being decent next year.

No matter what people want to say about the D, they are VASTLY improving, and are still very young. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times during the season they were put in a bad situation by our abysmal O and came out with a turnover or stopping the other team from scoring....only to have the O lose field position or turn it over.

Originally posted by boiler17:

I mean, no shit....recruiting has to get better. My point all along is that it isn't WORSE than it was when Hope is here. Now, does that mean that will turn around this team? Heck no....but the criticism that this staff can't recruit is a farce. Now, can they recruit at a high level? That's the question. The answer looks like no right now.

Why Tiller was successful from like 2000-2005 was that he got a lot of good, developmental type kids in the program based off his early success....then developed them into good football players. I think that's truly the way to build a program here.

Now, that said....and where the previous coach fell short was the development of talent once it got here. I think THIS coach/staff have done well in some areas (some DL, LBs, some DBs,RB) but have fallen woefully short in other areas (WR, QBs backsliding, OL is still a ?). No matter what, it was going to be a process to build this team to back to what it was in the Tiller days. Obviously this is not being helped by complete offensive ineptitude. I really felt that if we went a different direction offensively that we would be a new and better team next year.

Now, all we have to bank on is Shoop having a stroke and having a young grad assistant step in who plays a lot of NCAA football with an Air Raid playbook team to have any hope of being decent next year.

No matter what people want to say about the D, they are VASTLY improving, and are still very young. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times during the season they were put in a bad situation by our abysmal O and came out with a turnover or stopping the other team from scoring....only to have the O lose field position or turn it over.
Recruiting looks worse, but similar, to me at the moment. Hazell and Co. look like they have the potential to recruit well enough to succeed (better than what we have had the last decade) by the way the class looked the first half of last year before their on field product took its toll.

It would have been nice to see a change in the staff/OC. Probably wouldnt change my overall opinion, but this just feels like going through the motions for the sake of it. I see ditching the staff at the end of next year as a near certainty. It would be interesting to get an honest opinion from him if he really thinks they can be successful or if he figures he can have another terrible year, then try to save his job with staff adjustments.
This post was edited on 12/12 4:25 PM by boiler17

It's great for him, and I'm glad I won it, but it's by no means an indication of a successful career. Just look at the list of winners...

Great news, was well-deserved. only better way to end things would have been to finish with the state championship which was just short.

Originally posted by Dr_billy_badass:
It's great for him, and I'm glad I won it, but it's by no means an indication of a successful career. Just look at the list of winners...
Projecting a little there doc?
laugh.r191677.gif

Haha leave me alone BBG it had been a long day. Besides how do you know I didn't once upon a time.

I didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT