ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Wins Under Jeff Brohm

Hausta01

All-American
Oct 2, 2017
Since I saw this topic on KHC I figured I would bring the discussion to the masses. What are Purdue football's top 5 wins with Jeff Brohm at the helm?

The top 3 I think are going to be fairly consensus.

#1 Easy: 49-20 "He's still going!?!" Is almost as fun as "Holy Toledo"
#2 2021 vs #3 MSU: Really fun game to watch, had national cache
#3 2021 vs #2 Iowa: Iowa wasn't anywhere near a top 5 team with their offense last year but still beat the beak off those hawks
#4 2017 Foster Farms Bowl against Arizona - showed off some trick plays and won a bowl game when I don't think anyone even thought we could get to 6 wins preseason.
#5 @Missouri 2017 - just kicked the crap out of an SEC opponent away from home. Got us above .500 for the first time in YEARS

What say you??

Could easily see this past bowl win against Tennessee up there for a number of reasons, not the least of which because Tennessee fans are awful and thought they would win convincingly even if DB3 and GK played.

I did not agree with the article having the TN game as top 5. It was a great victory, since we were down Bell, Wright and Karlaftis. It was an exciting game, and we were in Vol country. There were multiple jerks that posted on our board for months, but TN was not a good team.

I would have had another Iowa game in the top 5, besides including last year's game. Probably the one in 2017, over the 2018 game (which was an exciting game), because we went into Iowa needing to win to still have a chance at a bowl game, and really shocking them on their home field. We also did this without Iowa killer, David Bell, who was still in high school. You know Iowa fans are celebrating that they don't have to face him anymore.

I did not agree with the article having the TN game as top 5. It was a great victory, since we were down Bell, Wright and Karlaftis. It was an exciting game, and we were in Vol country. There were multiple jerks that posted on our board for months, but TN was not a good team.

I would have had another Iowa game in the top 5, besides including last year's game. Probably the one in 2017, over the 2018 game (which was an exciting game), because we went into Iowa needing to win to still have a chance at a bowl game, and really shocking them on their home field. We also did this without Iowa killer, David Bell, who was still in high school. You know Iowa fans are celebrating that they don't have to face him anymore.
It is hard to take the bowl games too seriously anymore with so many key guys opting out. The only ones where the outcomes truly matter are the CFP, and beyond that the NY6 have some significance. I wouldn't put any of the Brohm bowl victories over beating a ranked team at full strength on the road in a packed house.

Totally agree about the 2017 Iowa game. Purdue's season was dead in the water. Nobody was penciling in that team, off a 3-5 start and 3-9 record the prior season, for a winning season. Beating the team that just knocked Ohio State's socks off the prior week? Forget about it. You take your loss at Iowa as expected and the Bucket game is once again your bowl.

Honorable mention goes to 2019 Nebraska game. This won't make anyone's top 5, but that game had a little of everything. It was a fun game that got the home crowd pumped and went down to the end. Four lead changes in the 4th Quarter. A memorable game winning drive that launched the legend of Aidan as captain comeback. The David Bell end around playcall that had the entire defense fooled. A win over a traditional power, never mind they turned out to be extremely mediocre. Plus, I was there. So it had that going for it.

Thought about the 17 and 18 Iowa wins but didn't like putting another Iowa win into the mix, even if they are OMHR.

I still enjoy the win at Missouri. Just pounded them and Markus Baileys early 3rd quarter INT sent them all home

2017 old oaken bucket. It ended a 4 year losing streak and capped off a great first season and helped cast Purdue back into the spotlight.

Reactions: rgarlitz and TX4GB
Iowa 2017 when Brohm kept dialing it ip it to Mahoungou, repeatedly burning Iowa, and they couldn't stop it.

Since I saw this topic on KHC I figured I would bring the discussion to the masses. What are Purdue football's top 5 wins with Jeff Brohm at the helm?

#3 2021 vs #2 Iowa: Iowa wasn't anywhere near a top 5 team with their offense last year but still beat the beak off those hawks
#4 2017 Foster Farms Bowl against Arizona - showed off some trick plays and won a bowl game when I don't think anyone even thought we could get to 6 wins preseason.
#5 @Missouri 2017 - just kicked the crap out of an SEC opponent away from home. Got us above .500 for the first time in YEARS

What say you??

Could easily see this past bowl win against Tennessee up there for a number of reasons, not the least of which because Tennessee fans are awful and thought they would win convincingly even if DB3 and GK played.
1. Holy Toledo agree
2. 2021 iowa would switch. Coming off the loss to minny this just felt huge. Didn’t feel as big as the season progressed but at the time was unreal. I think this was the second most watched game that weekend in prime time.
3. 2021 msu switched. Wasn’t as much a shock as Iowa.
4. 2017 indiana. Rival, ensured we were going bowling, ended 4 years of losing bucket. Didn’t have the shock value but it lingered. Someone said brohm will look like a hero when we qualify for a bowl, beat iu, or beat ND and he did 2 of the 3 here and yet to do the third. Bowl game was fun but it frankly is meaningless. The TN bowl game would be better to me given how exciting do a game it was but still a meaningless game.
5. 2018 indiana. Same reasons listed above. Punched our ticket to a bowl game again. Mizzou might be in the sec but they sucked that year.

It is hard to take the bowl games too seriously anymore with so many key guys opting out. The only ones where the outcomes truly matter are the CFP, and beyond that the NY6 have some significance. I wouldn't put any of the Brohm bowl victories over beating a ranked team at full strength on the road in a packed house.

Totally agree about the 2017 Iowa game. Purdue's season was dead in the water. Nobody was penciling in that team, off a 3-5 start and 3-9 record the prior season, for a winning season. Beating the team that just knocked Ohio State's socks off the prior week? Forget about it. You take your loss at Iowa as expected and the Bucket game is once again your bowl.

Honorable mention goes to 2019 Nebraska game. This won't make anyone's top 5, but that game had a little of everything. It was a fun game that got the home crowd pumped and went down to the end. Four lead changes in the 4th Quarter. A memorable game winning drive that launched the legend of Aidan as captain comeback. The David Bell end around playcall that had the entire defense fooled. A win over a traditional power, never mind they turned out to be extremely mediocre. Plus, I was there. So it had that going for it.
Tennessee really wanted to win that game. You could tell the fans and players thought they were above us. Tennessee had a really good offense. An offense that is built around scoring points and puts a lot of pressure on your offense to keep up. That was one hell of a win. They have SEC talent.

We had our 2 best players out. We were missing our 2 best WR’s. I thought there was so way we’d score more than 28 points. Great win IMO.

What say you??

Regarding that win versus Mizz. Too bad Fuller got hurt after that game. He just killed Ohio and Missouri in consecutive weeks

I would argue the 2017 home opener against Ohio deserves a mention. Obviously not the biggest opponent. But, that game showed us that Purdue football could be fun again.

Hazel loses to that Ohio team and we are ready to rock another 1-11 (or worse) year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT