ADVERTISEMENT

top 10 coaches of all time

Mar 3, 2020
top 6 were wooden K rupp dean smith rmk and roy williams, Carolina fans were bitching that Roy should be ahead of RMK how damn stupid, RMK should be ahead of Dean Smith he would have won 8 titles with the talent he went through. RMK beat Jordan and perkins and2 other all americans with Dan Dickich and Mike giomi uwe blab and a freshman steveie alford. case closed.

fwiw Id rank keady ahead of dean smith, what do you think he would have done with that talent? won more than 2 titles and 1 was gifted by gtown

top 6 were wooden K rupp dean smith rmk and roy williams, Carolina fans were bitching that Roy should be ahead of RMK how damn stupid, RMK should be ahead of Dean Smith he would have won 8 titles with the talent he went through. RMK beat Jordan and perkins and2 other all americans with Dan Dickich and Mike giomi uwe blab and a freshman steveie alford. case closed.
Knight was a jerk. Rupp was a segregationist. Dean Smith recruited that talent and won consistently. I'd put Rupp much lower for sure, but this is just clickbait so whatever.

A coach must be able to both win games and be able to recruit! Being able to recruit is a very big part of the job! The reality is Keady was not able to recruit the great all Americans like Dean Smith was able to do. And his great players won a lot of games, made a few final 4’s. Keady did a great job with the talent he was able to recruit! The problem is the players who played for Dean Smith didn’t want to play for Keady. So you can’t really make the argument of what Keady would do with the talent Smith collected! The same is true with Painter! Many of the nation’s best players don’t want to play for him! He has an awesome eye for talent. But the majority of the talented players he finds, go elsewhere! Great coaches attract great players! Great players want to play for great coaches!

I would agree with the original top ten coaches. I would put Wooden as #1.

A coach must be able to both win games and be able to recruit! Being able to recruit is a very big part of the job! The reality is Keady was not able to recruit the great all Americans like Dean Smith was able to do. And his great players won a lot of games, made a few final 4’s. Keady did a great job with the talent he was able to recruit! The problem is the players who played for Dean Smith didn’t want to play for Keady. So you can’t really make the argument of what Keady would do with the talent Smith collected! The same is true with Painter! Many of the nation’s best players don’t want to play for him! He has an awesome eye for talent. But the majority of the talented players he finds, go elsewhere! Great coaches attract great players! Great players want to play for great coaches!

I would agree with the original top ten coaches. I would put Wooden as #1.
wooden flat out cheated, what if Keady and painter done the same thing. I get recruiting is a big part of being a coach. but not all coaches are recruiting with the same advantages. if you have 2 teams with equal talent and smith and Keady are the coaches id take Keady's team.

While Knight may have been a total jerk and aas, the guy was an awesome coach. I remember as the Olympic coach, he was criticized for not selecting several players who had a lot more talent and added role players to the team instead. His Olympic team was a huge success!

Reactions: Ikegoiu
While Knight may have been a total jerk and aas, the guy was an awesome coach. I remember as the Olympic coach, he was criticized for not selecting several players who had a lot more talent and added role players to the team instead. His Olympic team was a huge success!
you think Barkley was better than Alford?

wooden flat out cheated, what if Keady and painter done the same thing. I get recruiting is a big part of being a coach. but not all coaches are recruiting with the same advantages. if you have 2 teams with equal talent and smith and Keady are the coaches id take Keady's team.
That’s the reality of coaching! Painter recruited Holgrem but he decided to play for Gonzaga. You can’t win games if you can’t also win the recruiting battles! Keady had a huge problem recruiting elite players! The only advantage coaches like Smith and Wooden had were they could also win the recruiting battles! I still remember Lew Al Cinder against Elvin Hayes! Hayes was supposedly the better player. But UCLA had the better coach!

you think Barkley was better than Alford?
No, Barkley was better than the 12th and 13th best players knight selected to be his role players! Rather than selecting the best players, knight added several role players in the interest of creating a better team!

That’s the reality of coaching! Painter recruited Holgrem but he decided to play for Gonzaga. You can’t win games if you can’t also win the recruiting battles! Keady had a huge problem recruiting elite players! The only advantage coaches like Smith and Wooden had were they could also win the recruiting battles! I still remember Lew Al Cinder against Elvin Hayes! Hayes was supposedly the better player. But UCLA had the better coach!
Jabbar top 5 player all time, Hayes was not better. and Jabbar had better team around him. they split in 2 college games.

Jabbar top 5 player all time, Hayes was not better. and Jabbar had better team around him. they split in 2 college games.
Hayes was the much better college player! Let’s go back in time! I’m not talking about the NBA ! Go back and look at their college exploits! Hayes was the player of the year. After losing to him, coach wooden and AlCinder learned from their loss to win the game that counted! That’s why Wooden is the greatest college coach. He made adjustments and learned from his losses to win the championship! There are many players who were a lot better in college than in the NBA and Vice versa!

Hayes was the much better college player! Let’s go back in time! I’m not talking about the NBA ! Go back and look at their college exploits! Hayes was the player of the year. After losing to him, coach wooden and AlCinder learned from their loss to win the game that counted! That’s why Wooden is the greatest college coach. He made adjustments and learned from his losses to win the championship! There are many players who were a lot better in college than in the NBA and Vice versa!
no one in the history of basketball was a much better player in college than Jabbar, if I recall jabber's freshman team beat the varsity who won the championship.

I'd honestly put Jay Wright up there. He didnt coach too long at a bigger program but I think he was one of the best coaches ever. If he coached until he was 70 I think he could of became a top 3 coach ever.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Houston and "Big E" Elvin Hayes, then unbeaten and ranked No. 2 in the nation, snapped No. 1 UCLA's 47-game winning streak in a game where 6-9 Hayes blocked 3 of 7-2 Lew Alcindor's shots.

Big E was the real deal, but Alcindor got hurt in a game against Cal a week earlier, wore an eyepatch that night and his game was very much affected. When they replayed in the tourney Alcindor was back up to speed and Wooden's team won it going away.

Last edited:
Houston and "Big E" Elvin Hayes, then unbeaten and ranked No. 2 in the nation, snapped No. 1 UCLA's 47-game winning streak in a game where 6-9 Hayes blocked 3 of 7-2 Lew Alcindor's shots.

Big E was the real deal, but Alcindor had hurt in a game against Cal a week earlier, wore an eyepatch that night and his game was very much affected. When they replayed in the tourney Alcindor was back up to speed and Wooden's team won it going away.
College coach you have to rank the highest is Wooden. He had no peers. Gino should be up there too. Yeah he gets talent but he wins.
And I’m sorry, yes, Knight could coach but he treated people so badly. A total jerk.

College coach you have to rank the highest is Wooden. He had no peers. Gino should be up there too. Yeah he gets talent but he wins.
And I’m sorry, yes, Knight could coach but he treated people so badly. A total jerk.
Geno had a winning record head-to-head with Knight. That grinds a lot of guts south of the 10 o'clock line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT