ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Trojan & Joe Bruin to join the B10.

This is a death blow to our Midwest identity. There is nothing Big Ten about these two schools. Just get it over with and blow up the conference system....

Reactions: indyogb
You people are kidding me right???
Two of the best academic schools in the nation with great basketball history in UCLA and great football history in USC.

It's like Christie Brinkley in her prime asking if she could be your girlfriend.

F@ck yeah...Bring them on and kick the dumba$$es like IU and Nebraska to the curb.

I'm not happy with a lot of what's been going on over the last two years, but the fact that this is a shot directly into the SEC's Balzac makes me very, very happy.

Reactions: jmohlman
I'm not happy with a lot of what's been going on over the last two years, but the fact that this is a shot directly into the SEC's Balzac makes me very, very happy.
bring in Colorado too, always wanted a road trip out there.

This is amazing. I get really into this conference expansion stuff, but adding USC seemed like a pipe dream.

huge market
Premier academics
Elite athletics

Texas always the gold standard for an expansion target, but USC/UCLA was only half a behind in my mind.

Washington would be a home run as well.

for those of you saying “there goes Midwest….” … it hasn’t been Midwest for years. Plus the Midwest is an aging region, which is what prompted conference expansion inthe first place

As a former professor at USC (1983-1985), I would be somewhat cautious in lauding that institution's academic laurels. The common adage among the faculty at that time was "USC - where students cheat for C's." Faculty members did not teach classes on Fridays (only TAs did), because students wouldn't come to class on Friday anyway. When the opportunity presented itself, I got my derriere out of LA and to the banks of the Wabash - great students who really want to work and learn.

The Iowa board comments are pretty interesting. There seems to be some sentiment for using this to move us out of their division. :) One guy pointed out that the BT would now have wall-to-wall coverage on Saturdays (games from 11 a.m. -9 p.m. ). Plus Thursdays and Fridays. 8K already on the main post! I wish we had those numbers.

The Iowa board comments are pretty interesting. There seems to be some sentiment for using this to move us out of their division. :) One guy pointed out that the BT would now have wall-to-wall coverage on Saturdays (games from 11 a.m. -9 p.m. ). Plus Thursdays and Fridays. 8K already on the main post! I wish we had those numbers.
You want 8k? Start a Speigal thread.

Here are the next schools I would go after:

Notre Dame
North Carolina
Florida State
Texas A&M (hey you never know)
Clemson
Virginia
Oregon
Washington
Don’t forget Duke. There was a ton of speculation that Duke and UNC were very high on the wish list when we got Rutgers and Maryland. Unfortunately, based on the crazy ACC grant of rights, picking off anyone from the ACC will be very expensive.

Reactions: JHetfield99
Here are the next schools I would go after:

Notre Dame
North Carolina
Florida State
Texas A&M (hey you never know)
Clemson
Virginia
Oregon
Washington
I like playing this game.

We need to make SC and UCLA feel comfortable… I’d ask each of them to bring a friend. I’m assuming that’s Stanford and maybe Washington. Reminder that everyone in the P12 now wants an invite.

Then I’d make a run at ND. I would think the promise of playing Stanford/SC every year, in addition to being able to recruit California more easily with it in conference, would be a strong selling point.

At that point, with SC and ND in the fold, I could have my pick of the litter. And I’m honestly not sure who I’d go after. But I’d lean towards Texas A&M. They have to be a little peeved that Texas stole their thunder in the SEC.

As a former professor at USC (1983-1985), I would be somewhat cautious in lauding that institution's academic laurels. The common adage among the faculty at that time was "USC - where students cheat for C's." Faculty members did not teach classes on Fridays (only TAs did), because students wouldn't come to class on Friday anyway. When the opportunity presented itself, I got my derriere out of LA and to the banks of the Wabash - great students who really want to work and learn.

Didn't Steve Sample, a former Purdue professor, greatly change that as president of USC?

ADVERTISEMENT