ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen at IU for awhile now.....

What happens when you lose your OC next week?
He was the main reason for the turn around

What happens when you lose your OC next week?
He was the main reason for the turn around
He will make another good hire like he did with DeBoer. Good coaches make good hires that potentially leave for head coaching gigs. Anyone from Purdue’s coaching staff getting looked at for head coaching openings?

Reactions: BTBall
Sadly, I don't think he's had his signature win yet. But it's IU Football, and no matter how you look at it, they have 8 wins. You can criticize the competition all you want, but it doesn't change the fact IUFB is trending upwards.

A key for me is winning the bowl game. THAT would be his signature win to date.

Sadly, I don't think he's had his signature win yet. But it's IU Football, and no matter how you look at it, they have 8 wins. You can criticize the competition all you want, but it doesn't change the fact IUFB is trending upwards.

The only thing for sure that is trending is the IUFB schedule ... downward.

The elephant in the room for Indiana fans is that Tom Allen is 0-12 against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan State. In the last three seasons, the only team Brohm has failed to win against from the West Division is Wisconsin.

Until Indiana can legitimately compete in the East, it's blind fandom to say Indiana is heading in any meaningful direction. Purdue has proven it can compete against the best teams in the conference and only needs to improve its depth and talent to be more consistent on the field.

Indiana has reached its ceiling this year on a soft schedule. Tom Allen is not a good recruiter and is socially awkward. His manner and antics are cringeworthy. Indiana is not willing to invest in its football program and the fans are not engaged. Hiring and extending Tom Allen proves how little Indiana prioritizes its football program.

Purdue is building a team that can legitimately compete in the West, while Indiana simply prays it won't get embarrassed in games against quality competition. Indiana should be more worried about maintaining its middling status over Rutgers and Maryland in the East, rather than gloating about a mediocre season, which only confirms the low expectations of an obnoxious fanbase that is not used to winning.

And Virginia didn't finished ranked did they? So iu is O-fer beating anyone who finished rated in the top 25, and O-fer in beating a P5 team that finished with a winning conference record.

If IU beat Virginia in basketball I would be impressed. But football? Not so.

Your recruiting sucks, your fanbase sucks, this is your high water mark. Enjoy it.

Reactions: Purdue85
Oh, OK? 8 > 4

Again, 8 wins over teams with cumulative in conference record of 13 & 56 (and one of those wins was by a FCS program)

Wins against P5
Brohm(18) > allen(11)
Against rival
Brohm(2) > allen(1)

Let’s see how they do in their bowl game when they have to play a team that wasn’t ‘manufactured’ by their AD.

Reactions: Purdue85
Let’s see how they do in their bowl game when they have to play a team that wasn’t ‘manufactured’ by their AD.

They'll get paired up with a Group of 5 team. And here's why:
1) They have no fan base that will travel. What respectable bowl wants a half empty stadium?
2) Their current ranking and talent level would be in Group of 5 territory.
3) What Power 5 team going to a bowl game really wants to be paired up with what could possibly be the worst Power 5 conference team going to a bowl game?

They'll get paired up with a Group of 5 team. And here's why:
1) They have no fan base that will travel. What respectable bowl wants a half empty stadium?
2) Their current ranking and talent level would be in Group of 5 territory.
3) What Power 5 team going to a bowl game really wants to be paired up with what could possibly be the worst Power 5 conference team going to a bowl game?

I'll guess it may be a low level P5, such as Tennessee. Bowl tie-ins are fairly regimented.

I will fully agree his first two years merited a performance award. I'm not so certain it merited the amount and long term deal he received. and if Louisville hadn't tried to steal brohm away, I'm not so sure Purdue would have given him as big of a raise as he received.

USC has come out and said their coach is remaining. he's also owed 20 million as part of any buy-out which was also a factor.

I guess I'm just not a big fan of long , huge contracts.

And I realize the money is not being paid by the university, but rather by private clubs and private donors who are willing to give their money. and that's something most casual fans don't realize. people don't realize coaches like nick Saban are being paid from private donors and not state funds. And it's the same with brohm. it's not my money being spent.
I don’t really understand why people give a shit what a coach makes.

Do you walk around concerned what you coworkers work?

Reactions: jindy and Purdue85
Let's see how IU does in their bowl game. Will reveal a lot about these opinions about a non-deserving team and coach.

Let's see how IU does in their bowl game. Will reveal a lot about these opinions about a non-deserving team and coach.

Now, there's a new one... "non-deserving team and coach"

Again...

Your

Schedule

SUCKED.

It.was.full.of.patsies.

You didn't beat a team with a winning record.

You squeaked by against a B1G opponent (Purdue) who was DECIMATED by injury, starting a 4th string walk on QB ... AND ... WON ... IN ... DOUBLE OT.

Dude. Stop looking for validation. You ain't gettin' it here.

Reactions: jindy
Now, there's a new one... "non-deserving team and coach"

Again...

Your

Schedule

SUCKED.

It.was.full.of.patsies.

You didn't beat a team with a winning record.

You squeaked by against a B1G opponent (Purdue) who was DECIMATED by injury, starting a 4th string walk on QB ... AND ... WON ... IN ... DOUBLE OT.

Dude. Stop looking for validation. You ain't gettin' it here.

Validation? Nope.

Weak Schedule? Maybe.

Won 8? Definitely.

8 > 4? Always.

Last edited:
Depth matters in football. Purdue was deep at QB but not at most other spots. It cost them big this year. IU was deep at QB and at RB, and at left tackle, and overcame its injuries for that reason.

We can argue about who had the most injuries but it doesn't change the fact that IU has coach who is building a good program and that the idea that Purdue will easily win the bucket from here on out is silly.
Why is it that if you're in New Castle, and you ask the question "What do you think about Tom Allen", 9 out of 10 have no clue who he is? Tom Allen is Tom Crean in cleats. Same dumbass demeanor on the sidelines, same actions...same "look at me" personnna.

When he wins a big game....come on back and crow.

If you go lurking, their football board is defending this raise/extension to the teeth. Their basketball board is questioning the decision. Two sides to a very funny coin. At the end of the day, even with the pay raise, IU's coach is 13th out of 14 B1G coaches money wise. And that's about right. He's the 13th best coach in the B1G.

Oh, OK? 8 > 4
We don’t need to have ‘that discussion’. 8 wins is what it is...Let’s compare schedules first
Patsies are still wins, even though no one shows up for those games, errr, any games. How long can you continue to pay coaches salaries out of the school’s endowment? Or the football operating budget? I’d rather try to build a program long-term even if you sacrifice wins in the early years by playing a real schedule-signature wins do a lot for National recognition

We don’t need to have ‘that discussion’. 8 wins is what it is...Let’s compare schedules first
Patsies are still wins, even though no one shows up for those games, errr, any games. How long can you continue to pay coaches salaries out of the school’s endowment? Or the football operating budget? I’d rather try to build a program long-term even if you sacrifice wins in the early years by playing a real schedule-signature wins do a lot for National recognition
Which is why even in an 8 win season they got 0 recognition outside of Bloomington.

You played nobody. Scheduled patsies to become bowl eligible.
"Maybe" my arse.

Get your validation somewhere else. This is none on the Purdue forum for you.
That only lasts for so long-I’d rather get 6 wins too, but not at the sacrifice of a long-term quality program

Reactions: jindy
That horse is quite dead already - you can stop beating it. 8 > 4.
But its the truth the best when you have this year was against purdue. You beat Maryland we beat Maryland you beat Nebraska we beat Nebraska you beat Northwestern we beat Northwestern Should I go on and that Nevada team you guys said Was so sad they're playing in a bowl game. Is there any team that Indiana played before the big 10 that's playing in a bowl game ? Enough said you guys still suck

If you go lurking, their football board is defending this raise/extension to the teeth. Their basketball board is questioning the decision. Two sides to a very funny coin. At the end of the day, even with the pay raise, IU's coach is 13th out of 14 B1G coaches money wise. And that's about right. He's the 13th best coach in the B1G.
Correction...he's now back to 14th. Rutgers took care of that.

It's fascinating reading this thread seeing so many so desperately committed to proclaiming IU's awfulness without the self-awareness to realize that in doing so, you're taking a shot at your own program. This awful program just celebrated on your home field, even though according to this thread, they're led by a high school coach, they have mostly 2 star recruits, and they have no fan support. Surely a vastly superior program would overcome injuries to handle a lightweight like IU.

For the record, there's no reason we can't have an intelligent and spirited discussion about the state of the two programs. It is an interesting time as both have committed to their 3rd year coaches, both fan bases appear to believe they have the right person in place, and both have shown signs that the future may be bright. Surely we can do better than "your team sucks" and that type of nonsense.

Reactions: IUHDog
It's fascinating reading this thread seeing so many so desperately committed to proclaiming IU's awfulness without the self-awareness to realize that in doing so, you're taking a shot at your own program. This awful program just celebrated on your home field, even though according to this thread, they're led by a high school coach, they have mostly 2 star recruits, and they have no fan support. Surely a vastly superior program would overcome injuries to handle a lightweight like IU.

For the record, there's no reason we can't have an intelligent and spirited discussion about the state of the two programs. It is an interesting time as both have committed to their 3rd year coaches, both fan bases appear to believe they have the right person in place, and both have shown signs that the future may be bright. Surely we can do better than "your team sucks" and that type of nonsense.
UT will smother IU. UT's coach isn't liked by their fans, yet he has them in a bowl game in what I think was an excellent draw for the Vol's. There is a similarity in the two programs...no one wanted to come to either to coach and both had to settle for incompetents.

On that note I have to say both IU and Purdue have quality coaches and are building great programs. It only benefits Indiana and the rivalry for both programs to be high quality football programs.

My wife is a Purdue fan so I watched all there games this year and despite going 4-8 they appear to have a bright future and I look forward to future bucket games where both teams have 8 to 9 wins

Question : if IU is this great team that went 8-4 and is on an upswing why aren’t the recruits buying it? IU with a class ranked 55. Their last 4 recruits are 2- 2stars and 2 with O stars. Only one has any real offers. He was a Michigan commit. I heard Michigan was pulling their offer. So if he is this stud coach with a program on the rise why isn’t it showing in recruiting ? Because recruits aren’t stupid and see thru it. Boilers are about to bring in their second top 25 class in a row. And this is on the heals of a 4-8 season. If I were IU fans I’d be scared too.

Question : if IU is this great team that went 8-4 and is on an upswing why aren’t the recruits buying it? IU with a class ranked 55. Their last 4 recruits are 2- 2stars and 2 with O stars. Only one has any real offers. He was a Michigan commit. I heard Michigan was pulling their offer. So if he is this stud coach with a program on the rise why isn’t it showing in recruiting ? Because recruits aren’t stupid and see thru it. Boilers are about to bring in their second top 25 class in a row. And this is on the heals of a 4-8 season. If I were IU fans I’d be scared too.

No one is saying IU is a "great team." Rather, we're happy that IU has had its best season in 25 years with a relatively young and talented roster.

The last 4 recruits are:

(1) RB Tim Baldwin who was once a Michigan commit and had offers from 13 power 5 schools.
(2) DT Damarjhe Lewis who was once an Auburn commit and had offers from 12 power 5 schools.
(3) TE AJ Barner who was offered by Michigan State this past week prior to committing to IU.
(4) S Bryson Bonds who had 4 power 5 offers.

Barner and Bonds were both late bloomers but both have received solid 3 star ratings from 24/7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT