ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen at IU for awhile now.....

Of the ~105 football players on IU's team, 80 of them are FR or SO. It's not hard.

Of the 85 SCHOLARSHIP football players on the iu roster 21 of them are juniors and seniors (thus 64 freshmen, redshirt freshmen, sophomores and redshirt sophomores). Still not 80.

And who will probably never lose a Bucket game again with the talent and depth going forward.

I'm pretty sure I read repeatedly on this board before the season started that Purdue would obviously beat IU for the bucket for the 3rd straight year. Perhaps it's not that simple.

It is possible that both teams are primed for good runs with their respective coaches. I get why Purdue fans are excited about Brohm. I see the recruiting classes and how he got to bowl game his first 2 years. I don't get why some Purdue fans can't also recognize that Allen is doing an excellent job. It's not that difficult.

Reactions: LoyalHoosier
Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked
losses to: Nevada, Eastern Michigan, Rutgers, embarrased in last bowl game.
Annual Salary of $5.25 million/year.
first year: 7-6
second year: 6-7
third year: 4-8

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.
Annual Salary of $3.9 million/year.
first year: 5-7
second year: 5-7
third year: 8-4

Name that coach - has a bowl win in first 3 seasons at his school.

Now, name that school - has ZERO bowl wins since 1992.

Reactions: IUhaterade
I'm pretty sure I read repeatedly on this board before the season started that Purdue would obviously beat IU for the bucket for the 3rd straight year. Perhaps it's not that simple.

It is possible that both teams are primed for good runs with their respective coaches. I get why Purdue fans are excited about Brohm. I see the recruiting classes and how he got to bowl game his first 2 years. I don't get why some Purdue fans can't also recognize that Allen is doing an excellent job. It's not that difficult.

He did a good job against a ridiculously weak schedule. Excellent would take a lot more than that.

He did a good job against a ridiculously weak schedule. Excellent would take a lot more than that.

I'm evaluating Allen based on more than just wins, just as you are doing for Brohm. Landing Mike Penix, Stevie Scott, Sampson James, Rashawn Williams, Matthew Bedford, Whop Philyor, matters.

The old line was he's just a high school coach. Now it's, he only wins because of the schedule. Keep moving the goal posts I guess.

Reactions: LoyalHoosier

Yeah, I’m sure you did read that before the season started. I’m also sure that if you told Purdue fans that they be missing Sindelar, Plummer, Sipe, Fuller, Worship, Bailey, Moore, Sparks, Neal, Bailey... it’s sad that I could keep going with injured guys; Purdue fans would have had some different thoughts on how the season would go.

Reactions: IronChefBBQ
I'm evaluating Allen based on more than just wins, just as you are doing for Brohm. Landing Mike Penix, Stevie Scott, Sampson James, Rashawn Williams, Matthew Bedford, Whop Philyor, matters.

The old line was he's just a high school coach. Now it's, he only wins because of the schedule. Keep moving the goal posts I guess.

Does it concern you that your recruiting class has fallen off quite a bit this year compared to last year?

Name the coach of the school with the most losses in history.

images

Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.

Lol at “unranked” as one of your criteria. Because it’s comparable playing UConn instead of TCU. Or Eastern Illinois instead of Louisville.

No bad losses? You mean you didn’t lose to any cupcakes but got slaughtered by most of the good teams you played? Lol.

Reactions: jindy
Yeah, I’m sure you did read that before the season started. I’m also sure that if you told Purdue fans that they be missing Sindelar, Plummer, Sipe, Fuller, Worship, Bailey, Moore, Sparks, Neal, Bailey... it’s sad that I could keep going with injured guys; Purdue fans would have had some different thoughts on how the season would go.

Depth matters in football. Purdue was deep at QB but not at most other spots. It cost them big this year. IU was deep at QB and at RB, and at left tackle, and overcame its injuries for that reason.

We can argue about who had the most injuries but it doesn't change the fact that IU has coach who is building a good program and that the idea that Purdue will easily win the bucket from here on out is silly.

I've never moved the goal posts. Five wins over teams that won zero or one conference game this year(including an FCS team) and zero wins over a team that finished with a winning record(in or out of conference) just isn't that impressive. But keep bragging about that, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
Why any IU fan compares Brohm’s overall record to Allen’s is beyond me. Talk about context mattering lol. One coach took over a program in pretty solid footing coming off two straight bowl games (something that rarely happens in Bloomington) with a solid foundation of players across the board. The other coach took over a program that had its worst 4-year stretch in its history while winning 9 games in 4 years. This coach took over a program that had atrocious depth across the board with a roster full of non-BIG caliber players. Being 17-21 after that dumpster fire is nothing short of remarkable. Being 18-18 is basically on par from what he inherited. Context is your friend.

Reactions: jindy and indy35
Depth matters in football. Purdue was deep at QB but not at most other spots. It cost them big this year. IU was deep at QB and at RB, and at left tackle, and overcame its injuries for that reason.

We can argue about who had the most injuries but it doesn't change the fact that IU has coach who is building a good program and that the idea that Purdue will easily win the bucket from here on out is silly.

It’s not just depth. Depth matters but it’s difficult to overcome injuries to almost all of your best players. Think about who Purdue lost. Their two best defensive players in Markus Bailey and Lorenzo Neal. Those are two NFL guys that are your leaders/captains. On offense, you lose your only All-American and your stud QB on the same play. Not to mention being without our top 2 senior RB’s, another starting WR, etc... even with depth, it’s hard to overcome injuries when almost all of them are to your best players.

Reactions: jindy

We’re not going to argue about injuries because there is no argument to be made. IU didn’t have anything close to the injury trouble that Purdue had. IU was able to overcome their injuries because there weren’t that many and they played such a weak schedule.

What's silly is to even compare the respective level of injuries. Purdue played the Bucket game with a walk-on QB who would've been 4th string to start the season, let alone injuries at multiple other positions. Yes, iu seems to be building a better program than they've had historically, I'll agree. But for many iu fans(not necessarily you)to come here and act like this was some great iu team is just as silly.

Reactions: DAG10
Purdue rewarded its coach after taking the program out of the proverbial black hole at a time when the job everyone assumed he wanted to move to became open.

Apples and oranges.
Umm...Purdue put itself in said black hole and had absolutely nobody to blame but itself (collectively).

Dumbass iu fan.
That is a perfect reply, as, I had not yet replied to it...but if/when I do, the reply would start with "Name that dumba$$..."

Hell, there are HS programs that would have the same, and maybe even better, non-conference record with the joke of the schedule that Allen has faced.

Last edited:
Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.
Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.

Any reason you left Allen’s 9-18 Big 10 record out of your recap? Lol. He’s a high school coach.

It was part of the “unranked” record lol.

I have no problem saying that iu had a good record this year, especially by iu standards. But a good record doesn't necessarily equal a good team, when that record is built the way that this one was. So, begrudgingly, I'll offer them a tepid congratulations. But to any of them who brag as if it was some great accomplishment I will continue to point out the weakness of their opponents.

Big recruiting weekend this weekend. Getting Dylan Powell tonight helps. I believe Purdue wanted him also did they not?

There was some contact but not sure the real level of interest from either side.

Records against P5 programs:
Brohm: 16 - 19
allen: 11 - 18 (6 fewer P5 opponents in just 3 years)

Allen was fortunate his previous OC Debord retired prior to the season. He was horrid. I guess you could give him some credit for hiring someone decent as a replacement. However Allen was supposed to be a great defensive coach and without looking up the stats it seems like their defense has regressed. Heck, Horvath ran wild on them in the Bucket game. Everything aligned perfectly for them this year and they still are a very mediocre program with a very mediocre head coach who claimed beating a 5-7 Nebraska team was “program changing.” The guys a crock.

Last edited:
Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.
Totally different situations You can't even Compare with each other. One coach took a program that was Not that badd when he got there. The other coach took a program that couldn't Beat a high school.

And ..... the savior OC may be jumping ship for a HC opening. I'm sure Tomboy will have no problem keeping that offense running by himself.

Reactions: TipofMittBoiler
Tom Allen is the perfect coach for IU. Really doesn't matter what y'all post, he's the man. Does that mean IU will beat Purdue the next game? We'll see In a year.

Tom Allen is the perfect coach for IU. Really doesn't matter what y'all post, he's the man. Does that mean IU will beat Purdue the next game? We'll see In a year.
Agreed. IU doesn’t really care about football, so he’s the perfect steward for such a program. IU fans would rather tailgate than watch a game, and bowls are currently drawing straws to see who gets stuck hosting them and their non-traveling “fan base”. And, if perfect equals the 55th rated recruiting class nationally and 12th in the BiG, something hardcore IU fans (all 8 of you) think is great, he’s definitely perfection for you. LOLEO

I think you're right: He's perfect for IU. Wins enough to qualify for a bowl when you have an incredibly weak-@ss schedule. Have all this hype about the team of a generation, then have to go into double OT to beat a Purdue team decimated by injuries (then go to the Purdue forum to crow about it).

Yes.... Tom Allen is "the man."

Serious question for IUDog: What is Allen’s best win as head coach? His “Signature” win which energized the fan base if you will. I’m not trying to be an a$$, just curious. For Purdue and Brohm, shellacking a top 5 OSU, and a last minute bowl game win are two examples which energized my excitement again after a Hazy period.

Reactions: indy35
Serious question for IUDog: What is Allen’s best win as head coach? His “Signature” win which energized the fan base if you will. I’m not trying to be an a$$, just curious. For Purdue and Brohm, shellacking a top 5 OSU, and a last minute bowl game win are two examples which energized my excitement again after a Hazy period.

Probably beating Purdue this year lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT