ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen at IU for awhile now.....

interesting that IU and Minn rewarded their coaches after 8 win seasons, and purdue rewarded its coach out of fear of losing him to Louisville.
Purdue rewarded its coach after taking the program out of the proverbial black hole at a time when the job everyone assumed he wanted to move to became open.

Apples and oranges.

Purdue rewarded its coach after taking the program out of the proverbial black hole at a time when the job everyone assumed he wanted to move to became open.

Apples and oranges.

I know and realize that. What I'm alluding to is that I may not personally agree with that. Painter did the same thing... using leaving for Missouri as leverage and a threat and purdue ponied up to keep him.

some schools reward coaches based on performance, others reward based on leverage and fear of losing them. I'm just not a big fan of huge long term contracts, but realize it's a part of doing business.

I look at pro contracts and often say, that was a huge mistake. Like the puhols signing. or the Bucks giving middleton a max deal and having to deal away brogden because of it.

I personally would have waited until after his third year before giving brohm a huge extension. unfortunately, Louisville forced our hand.

I know and realize that. What I'm alluding to is that I may not personally agree with that. Painter did the same thing... using leaving for Missouri as leverage and a threat and purdue ponied up to keep him.

some schools reward coaches based on performance, others reward based on leverage and fear of losing them. I'm just not a big fan of huge long term contracts, but realize it's a part of doing business.

I look at pro contracts and often say, that was a huge mistake. Like the puhols signing. or the Bucks giving middleton a max deal and having to deal away brogden because of it.

I personally would have waited until after his third year before giving brohm a huge extension. unfortunately, Louisville forced our hand.

While the Louisville situation forced things, Brohm's extension certainly had a performance basis to it as well. Taking the crap show situation that he took over to back to back bowls, and recruiting at the level he has merited a contract change in today's environment.

While the Louisville situation forced things, Brohm's extension certainly had a performance basis to it as well. Taking the crap show situation that he took over to back to back bowls, and recruiting at the level he has merited a contract change in today's environment.

I will fully agree his first two years merited a performance award. I'm not so certain it merited the amount and long term deal he received. and if Louisville hadn't tried to steal brohm away, I'm not so sure Purdue would have given him as big of a raise as he received.

USC has come out and said their coach is remaining. he's also owed 20 million as part of any buy-out which was also a factor.

I guess I'm just not a big fan of long , huge contracts.

And I realize the money is not being paid by the university, but rather by private clubs and private donors who are willing to give their money. and that's something most casual fans don't realize. people don't realize coaches like nick Saban are being paid from private donors and not state funds. And it's the same with brohm. it's not my money being spent.

Good boost for a coach that never beat a team with a winning record....

Posted it in another thread but to recap, the cumulative conference record of teams that iu beat this season was 13 wins, 56 losses. That includes three weak sisters in non-conference and then Big Ten wins coming over teams with a total conference record of 8 and 37(6 of which wins came from Purdue and Nebraska).

Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked
losses to: Nevada, Eastern Michigan, Rutgers, embarrased in last bowl game.
Annual Salary of $5.25 million/year.
first year: 7-6
second year: 6-7
third year: 4-8

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.
Annual Salary of $3.9 million/year.
first year: 5-7
second year: 5-7
third year: 8-4

Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.
Dumbass iu fan.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DAG10
Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.

Who has iu beaten that has finished in the top 20? Top 25? I'll add one more category; which coach started with a much worse situation and is still 2-1 vs their main rival?

Reactions: DAG10 and indy35
Who has iu beaten that has finished in the top 20? Top 25? I'll add one more category; which coach started with a much worse situation and is still 2-1 vs their main rival?
Sorry, that should have said 2-12 vs top 25. Both times being Virginia. Still no bad losses unlike someone. Can't laugh and say a team plays nobody when your team loses to Eastern Michigan and Rutgers.

Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.

You cant have a bad loss when other teams consider you the bad loss.

Point is at $5.25 mill per year you shouldn't lose to MAC teams. Yes we played Ball State this year and we beat them. How did you guys fare against the MAC last year?

Sorry, that should have said 2-12 vs top 25. Both times being Virginia. Still no bad losses unlike someone. Can't laugh and say a team plays nobody when your team loses to Eastern Michigan and Rutgers.

Those 2 games against Virginia represent the only 2 non-conference games against P5 opponents that iu has scheduled, equaling the 2 FCS non-conference opponents iu has played in the same time frame. Add in UConn and Georgia Southern and, yes we can laugh at the junior varsity level scheduling. Makes a big difference in overall records when you schedule like that. Purdue has played 6 non-conference games against P5 opponents in the same time frame, and zero FCS opponents. Even worse, iu doesn't play any P5 non-conference opponents until what, 2023? And only 2 total non-conference P5 opponents in the next 5 seasons, while playing 3 games against FCS opponents. Sure makes it easier to build up a win total.

Reactions: DAG10

And Virginia didn't finished ranked did they? So iu is O-fer beating anyone who finished rated in the top 25, and O-fer in beating a P5 team that finished with a winning conference record.

And who will probably never lose a Bucket game again with the talent and depth going forward.
How do you figure? IU has 80 Freshman/Sophomores, just beat you on your home field and will be ranked pre-season next year. Also, before you blame the loss on injuries, Hoosiers also had their #1 QB and RB on the sidelines.

Reactions: IndycarHoosier20
How do you figure? IU has 80 Freshman/Sophomores, just beat you on your home field and will be ranked pre-season next year. Also, before you blame the loss on injuries, Hoosiers also had their #1 QB and RB on the sidelines.
Purdue has a far better coaching staff. Recruiting has turned so that the talent level is also clearly in Purdue's favor now. If IU couldn't beat this injury decimated team, it wasn't going to happen for a very long time, they were barely able to pull it off. Purdue will win next year by 3+ TDs.

Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.
Eastern Michigan and Nevada both had winning records. By all available information, it's more than likely that IU would have lost those games too.

80 frosh and sophomores? That's a complete and utter lie. That would mean your juniors and seniors combined would total 5 players.

Reactions: DAG10

Purdue had #1, #2 and #3(retired from football) QB's out, lost the top returning RB for most of season, top receiver/playmaker in league out, 2 starting O-linemen out, another starting WR out and that's just on offense. Injury comparison not even close.

Purdue has a far better coaching staff. Recruiting has turned so that the talent level is also clearly in Purdue's favor now. If IU couldn't beat this injury decimated team, it wasn't going to happen for a very long time, they were barely able to pull it off. Purdue will win next year by 3+ TDs.
You're delusional. How much money do you want to put on Purdue -21 in Bloomington next year. I'll take that bet.

Reactions: IndycarHoosier20
Name that coach.
17-21 overall record.
4-9 vs ap top 20
13-12 vs unranked

vs

18-18 overall record
2-12 vs ap top 20
16-6 vs unranked
No bad losses.

In conference records

Coach 1: 12 - 15(.444 win pct)
Vs. East: 4-5(.444 win pct)
Vs. West: 8-10(.444 win pct)

Coach 2: 9 - 18(.333 win pct)
Vs. East: 5-13(.278 win pct)
Vs. West: 4-5(.444 win pct)

as has been noted before on this forum, there's a reason the knuckleheads here don't have a say in Purdue athletics....

I've got to call you out on this right here. It's a WHOLE.....WHOLE.....different Athletic Department since Morgan Burke. Painter did this to leverage against Burke and his decisions that hurt athletics instead of helped.

Tiller wanted to do the same thing after Orton. It didn't work as well for him.

Another significant reason was the assistant coaches needed more financial recognition.

ADVERTISEMENT