ADVERTISEMENT

togetherness

Sep 5, 2007
I'm wondering if anyone else noticed what I did at the Indiana game in Mackey. During the time-outs, the Indiana players were in a circle with their arms around each other--a picture of togetherness. In contrast, our players were standing around casually...quite apart from each othe,r looking around the arena--- a picture of being disconnected.and, although it pains me to say it, that togetherness and picture of disconnection seemed to show up in each team's play. So, I wonder-----are our players together?

Are you talking chemistry? I see guys rooting for each other. I see guys making the extra pass. I see us united.
I don't see what you see evidently.
/My comment was what I saw during the time-outs. I understand fans not seeing that. But I did. In terms of on-the-court-play. I guess my perception of Braden Smith in that game may have also been different than yours. I thought on many offensive possessions, he appeared to be dribbling the ball in circles around the court without an apparent plan to ever set a play. The "play" ended up being him finishing his very impressive dribble- exhibition under the basket, resulting in no points. So, yes, I am talking about team chemistry. More than one sports journalist has written about us lately and noted that something seems amiss- but not being able to identify what it is (see Greg Doyel's articles in the Indy Star) . I have no idea what kind of chemistry there is on this team..I hope it's great! I'm not even sure what indicators we fans can possibly use to discern accurately the state of a team's chemistryI only wonder about it based on what I noticed at the Indiana game. Maybe I focussed on the wrong things or mis -interpreted what I saw. That's all.

Last edited:
/My comment was what I saw during the time-outs. I understand fans not seeing that. But I did. In terms of on-the-court-play. I guess my perception of Braden Smith in that game may have also been different than yours. I thought on many offensive possessions, he appeared to be dribbling the ball in circles around the court without an apparent plan to ever set a play. The "play" ended up being him finishing his very impressive dribble- exhibition under the basket, resulting in no points. So, yes, I am talking about team chemistry. More than one sports journalist has written about us lately and noted that something seems amiss- but not being able to identify what it is (see Greg Doyel's articles in the Indy Star) . I have no idea what kind of chemistry there is on this team..I hope it's great! I'm not even sure what indicators we fans can possibly use to discern accurately the state of a team's chemistryI only wonder about it based on what I noticed at the Indiana game. Maybe I focussed on the wrong things or mis -interpreted what I saw. That's all.
I do not believe that is any issue at all on this Purdue team, they seem very connected. And anything Doyel says or writes, I believe exactly the opposite.

Good point with Smith, seemed like he tried doing too much . Also saw Newman , Jenkins and Gillis pass up on some open shots. Almost like they were afraid to make a mistake and shoot cause they would get yanked. Might be something to the be connected and togetherness statement

Good point with Smith, seemed like he tried doing too much . Also saw Newman , Jenkins and Gillis pass up on some open shots. Almost like they were afraid to make a mistake and shoot cause they would get yanked. Might be something to the be connected and togetherness statement
Jenkins is NOT afraid of being yanked,,, neither is Gillis. That is a fantasy... speaking of fantasies, I'm off to crack my whips

Last edited:
I do not believe that is any issue at all on this Purdue team, they seem very connected. And anything Doyel says or writes, I believe exactly the opposite.
ok.... they seem very connected and they've lost4 of the last 6.That may look like connected to you, but it doesn't to me. And I'm sorry you don't recognize the insights of one of the best sports writers to be found anywhere. We're fortunate to have him writing about Purdue sports.

Last edited:
Jenkins is NOT afraid of being yanked,,, neither is Gillis. That is a fantasy... speaking of fantasies, I'm off to crack my whips
I think it's nearly impossible to know whether certain guys aren'tvshooting because they're afraid of being yanked. But thatwould be consistentw ith a comment that CMP said recently ehen he reflected on his own days as a player. He said he didn't take many shots because he thoughti f he missed, Keady would yank him. So, I wouldn't want to speculate about why certain guys seem afraid to shoot.It could be fearof being yanked butI don't findt hat too compelling. What I DO find more compelling is what the sports writers (e.g., Greg doyel, and sam King )are writing recently about something being "amiss" or "wrong" with this team. I sure hope the team can turn that back in the right direction---and do it quickly. By the way, Robbie Hummel had an interesting comment the othernight when he observed that Smith andLoyer both need to spend more time in the weight room. That might help them when trying to go up against the bigger, older, and more muscular guards in the conference.

Last edited:
ok.... they seem very connected and they've lost4 of the last 6.That may look like connected to you, but it doesn't to me. AndcI'm sorryyou don't recognize the insights of one of the best sports writers to be found anywhere. We're fortunate tohave him writing about Purdue sports.
IU must have not been holding arms tonite, huh? As to Doyel, he is a clown , tries to be woke, cause that is the slant of IUStar. He has praised Ballard, Colt GM, who has done worst job in NFL, and you do know he is an IU Loosier grad, correct? He secretly roots against us and is very pro IU.

Did the Hawkeyes have their arms around each other during timeouts tonight?
I wasn’t there so I don’t know. But they sure looked like a team that was playing together and had their way against Indiana —- kind of like
iNdiana looked when they played us in Mackey. but, ok, you made your view clear that you think what I noticed and wondered about during the timeouts at the Indiana gsme was stupid to wonder about. Apologies for bringing it up. I should have known better than to share an honest perception on this forum and expect that it wouldn’t elicit sarcasm, or criticism of some sort.nevertheless… GO PURDUE! Finish strong!

Last edited:
IU's Football team had that LEO thing, love each other and it was all the culture there, leading them to win 1 Big 10 game in 2 years, rah rah and all the love stuff does not win games.

Reactions: Schnelk
I watch a lot of college basketball.....every week the so called expert media switches to flavor of the week ......telling you what a dangerous tough out the team is and could make a deep run in the tourney... But all these teams in the top 10-15 have all looked god awful in loses! Since we all bleed black and gold......we are always more critical of our team especially in losses! But come tourney time...no home court advantage,....and we have played well better than most on the road....that's including all conferences! Just gonna boil down to just a couple guys getting their shooting touch back....and damn, we are way over do for that!

I wasn’t there so I don’t know. But they sure looked like a team that was playing together and hsd their way against Indiana —- kind of like
iNdiana looked when they played us in Mackey. but, ok, you made your view clear that you think what I noticed and wondered about during the timeouts at the Indiana gsme was stupid to wonder about. Apologies for bringing it up. I should have known better than to share an honest perception on this forum and expect that it wouldn’t elicit sarcasm, or criticism of some sort.nevertheless… GO PURDUE! Finish strong!
Lol. Lighten up, Francis.

This team (the 2022-23 Boilermakers) are about as together and selfless and any NCAA team ever. So this post is just off-base completely. You're making a pretty big leap from on walk-ons standing a certain way during a timeout. Sorry.

IU must have not been holding arms tonite, huh? As to Doyel, he is a clown , tries to be woke, cause that is the slant of IUStar. He has praised Ballard, Colt GM, who has done worst job in NFL, and you do know he is an IU Loosier grad, correct? He secretly roots against us and is very pro IU.
I never meant to imply that I agree with everything Doyel writes. I certainly don't. And if I appreciate good sports writing, I don't care from where the journalist graduated. And i care more about detecting which teams he's OPENLY for instead of trying to speculate on who he SECRETLY roots against. His column in the wake of IU's loss to Iowa didn't strike me as very"proIU." and I know many life-time Boiler fans who appreciate reading Doyel's columns regularly. Go figure.

Last edited:
This team (the 2022-23 Boilermakers) are about as together and selfless and any NCAA team ever. So this post is just off-base completely. You're making a pretty big leap from on walk-ons standing a certain way during a timeout. Sorry.
Wow....."any NCAA team ever?" That seems like You're the one making the pretty big leap. I didn't actually make any claim about the Boilers NOT being together. I simply shared my perception about how certain things appeared to be at the IU game and wondered about it.. If you have evidence that our team is as together as any NCAA TEAM ever, your breadth of expertise that covers hundreds of teams throughout history is truly impressive. I would be foolish to question such incredible knowledge. I'm sure that fans across the country would love to see your notes on all of the other NCAA teams ever and learn of the specific criteria that you used to arrive at this incredible claim. In any case, keep up the great work. Purdue fans like me who know next to nothing really appreciate that we have folks like you who have accumulated encyclopedic knowledge on the level of togetherness for any NCAA team ever. and can compare those levels with our current Boilers. In the end, I hope you're correct about how togther this team is. If you're right, our high level of togetherness ought to help take us on a deep run in the NCAA tournament. That would be fantastic and I look forward to it! GO PURDUE! Together, let's BOILER UP!

Last edited:
Doyle went to U Florida, not IU.

I don’t think it’s a togetherness issue as much as maybe fatigue, lack of winning, and a little bit of “trying to do too much” (Smith) to right the ship. I think maybe they all feel some pressure from the recent win-loss record, which might- might - have shaken their confidence a bit?
I’m just speculating, have no expertise here, and am pretty sure a win will “fix” things, and re-energize them. And it did. Exhibit A: team photo on the plane after Wisconsin. (saw on Twitter)

Normal ups and downs of a grind of a Big10 season. No worries here…😎.

Matt has mentioned that he did not want Braden killing his dribble as much as he has. My guess and perception is that things are not there as he dribbles trying to find something and cannot kick the ball out where he wants. Teams are pretty well scouted by now as are players.

ok.... they seem very connected and they've lost4 of the last 6.That may look like connected to you, but it doesn't to me. And I'm sorry you don't recognize the insights of one of the best sports writers to be found anywhere. We're fortunate to have him writing about Purdue sports.

"one of the best sports writers to be found anywhere"??? Are you shitting me? You gotta be related to Doyel or be an IU fan to actually believe that...

Reactions: Schnelk
you believe exactly the opposite of what Doyel wrote about Indiana's game against Miami??Wow. I advise you to goback and read it again. That had to be the most negative article about an Indiana game that I've ever read. Really great stuff!

The article he wrote about Indiana's game with Miami didn't strike me as very pro- IU Tell me what I missed.
Doyel is a knee jerk, hot take artist…
“PURDUE CHOKED!!!” …. “IU QUIT !!!” ….. “THE COLTS HAVE NO TALENT !!!!”…. Etc etc etc.

I watch a lot of college basketball.....every week the so called expert media switches to flavor of the week ......telling you what a dangerous tough out the team is and could make a deep run in the tourney... But all these teams in the top 10-15 have all looked god awful in loses! Since we all bleed black and gold......we are always more critical of our team especially in losses! But come tourney time...no home court advantage,....and we have played well better than most on the road....that's including all conferences! Just gonna boil down to just a couple guys getting their shooting touch back....and damn, we are way over do for that!
This year every team can lose one bad game you go home the team that can run shoot get offensive rebounds and look to pass to one another will be hard to beat this year is wide open for a team to win

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT