ADVERTISEMENT

Today’s Takeaways

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
1. While we’ve been a very good FT team this year we seemed to struggle this game. Haven’t looked at the final numbers but bet they are well below season average.

2. Interesting split with freshmen guards today. Loyer looked AMAZING. He fearlessly took over the game, and that dunk(ish) was awesome! At the same time Brady looked like a freshman. He was making bad decisions, and seemed unable to score. I am glad he made his FTs down the stretch though. Just a weird difference.

3. Doubling Edey worked a lot better, mainly cause he wasn’t passing well out of the double. Think he had 3-4 turnovers trying to pass out, and many of his other passes were off the mark or lobbed so easy for Nebraska defenders to get back. I think we need Edey to be passing out of the double well to have the great offense we have seen. Im not sure if he was having an off day or it had more to do with the way Nebraska D was doubling him and disrupting out offense in general.

Painter said their defense face guarding was illegal??

At approximately, 1:43 of his post-game press conference, he says "Their face box-out looks totally illegal....."

He went on to add "I'd keep face boxing out too if they're not going to call it".....not sure what the rule is to which he's referencing.

Also, Painter was highly complimentary of the Nebraska effort and defense and said they deserved the game as much as Purdue did.....also said Nebraska's defense is the difference for them this year.

Edit - Ok, I think the rule violation would be a technical foul -

Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes” in Rule 10 - Fouls and Penalties in the official rules. The offender is penalized with a technical foul resulting in a free throw for the opposing team.

I'd have to look more closely at the game play to see how close that really was.....never seen that come into play before.

Last edited:
Not sure there is a takeaway in a game with a 22 point half??

Congrats for NE foul em all game plan. It has worked for Purdue some seasons. But it is not the B10 ball I like to see.

One thing I would like to see is stronger hands from our guys. How many times was it hacked away from us, or just flat taken away or just fumbled away

3. Doubling Edey worked a lot better, mainly cause he wasn’t passing well out of the double. Think he had 3-4 turnovers trying to pass out, and many of his other passes were off the mark or lobbed so easy for Nebraska defenders to get back. I think we need Edey to be passing out of the double well to have the great offense we have seen. Im not sure if he was having an off day or it had more to do with the way Nebraska D was doubling him and disrupting out offense in general.
Seems like something similar happened last year. Both Trevion and Zach looked unstoppable in non-conference games, but B1G teams found better ways to defend them.

I agree about passing. Two things I've learned watching all these big guys at Purdue: if you want to win while playing through a dominant big man, he better be able to pass out of a double-team. And your guards better be good enough that the defense can't collapse into the paint.

Main takeaway is you can't play games in the 50s. We had 45 points with 15 to play, then went on to score 11 points. Just can't do it. Any crappy St. Peters team can play at that pace. Asking to lose. Second, Edey can't ALWAYS pass out of the double team. Too predictable. I know Paint wants him to make the "simple" play, but sometimes it's simple for the defense too.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
When they box out for a rebound, they are facing Edey, not the basket, pushing him out instead of blocking out traditionally. It's against the rules to block out like that.
Yep. His defender or the guy doubling him would turn and put a forearm into his chest when a Purdue shot went up throughout the game.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yep. His defender or the guy doubling him would turn and put a forearm into his chest when a Purdue shot went up throughout the game.
Yeah they called the chubby guy for it one time, and he’s like, “what? We’ve been doing that the whole game!”

Reactions: Boiler8285
One thing I would like to see is stronger hands from our guys. How many times was it hacked away from us, or just flat taken away or just fumbled away
I meant to have this in my OP but forgot! You are absolutely right! I was banging mu head in frustration as rebound after rebound or pass after pass squirted out of our hands! Totally unacceptable. Need to tighten things up in the future.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I thought Braden had a few mistakes but for a true freshman in his first conference road game and considering he’s bringing the ball up almost exclusively himself against pressure I have no complaints. And when pressure is on to close game he steps & up nails four straight ft’s. Both freshmen guards have been very good and will only improve through the year and beyond.

I thought Braden had a few mistakes but for a true freshman in his first conference road game and considering he’s bringing the ball up almost exclusively himself against pressure I have no complaints. And when pressure is on to close game he steps & up nails four straight ft’s. Both freshmen guards have been very good and will only improve through the year and beyond.
He was playing hard, which is what you always want, but he's got to learn in the last 5 mins of winning time when to pick his spots. Also on D, he single handedly put them in bonus by being too aggressive on D. I have no doubt he will learn, and like you said the amount he has ball in his hands is impressive for a Freshman.

I do wish he would shoot more. The team ball movement was great, but he passed up some open looks a few times only to have Morton be the guy to throw one up with the shot clock winding down later in possession. Exactly what the D wanted.

I meant to have this in my OP but forgot! You are absolutely right! I was banging mu head in frustration as rebound after rebound or pass after pass squirted out of our hands! Totally unacceptable. Need to tighten things up in the future.
It is hard to catch with someone pulling on your arm, right? I was yelling BS at the screen almost every time at all the uncalled fouls. Ugly game.

Seems like something similar happened last year. Both Trevion and Zach looked unstoppable in non-conference games, but B1G teams found better ways to defend them.

I agree about passing. Two things I've learned watching all these big guys at Purdue: if you want to win while playing through a dominant big man, he better be able to pass out of a double-team. And your guards better be good enough that the defense can't collapse into the paint.

The entire difference between non-conf and conference games is the way it's officiated. You can literally hack the shit out big men and it's not gonna get called. The fact that Edey was double teamed yesterday and only shot 4 free throws tells you everything you need to know...

I am looking forward to Joe Jackson on Twitter posting his game breakdown. He said he is going to highlight a few plays on the face guarding on rebounds that Painter called out.

Reactions: depthcharge623
The entire difference between non-conf and conference games is the way it's officiated. You can literally hack the shit out big men and it's not gonna get called. The fact that Edey was double teamed yesterday and only shot 4 free throws tells you everything you need to know...
Fair point. Purdue can't change the way the game is called. But, the more dangerous Purdue's guards are along the perimeter, the less teams will be able to zero in on Zach. That'll be a challenge in B1G road games where it might not be realistic to expect Purdue to shoot lights out.

It is hard to catch with someone pulling on your arm, right? I was yelling BS at the screen almost every time at all the uncalled fouls. Ugly game.
Yes that was true in other cases, but there were plenty of instances where we just coughed the ball up without any cause. Morton fumbled a pass around after Edey passed out of the double once. Definitely several others as well.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT