ADVERTISEMENT

TKR is a hot mess...

He was redshirting before the injury if I recall correctly. The injury was also serious enough to keep him from practicing for most of the year. I am not sure if a medical redshirt has been requested but once again, his decision to shirt was before the injury.

I doubt we ever see TKR at the 3. He has enough trouble defending 5’s. I don’t think he has the quickness to defend a 3 and so far his 3 point shooting hasn’t been great either.

TKR plays the 5 because that’s the only spot open for minutes. If he doesn’t back up Zach then he doesn’t play.

I think TKR will be fine. He only needs to give Zach some rest this year and when Zach leaves he will have a chance to really become a focal point for this team.
I’m not sure with Berg and Furst that He will ever become our starting center. My guess is Painter will recruit/ sign another big man next year or the year after.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
I do have to say it is not a golden egg to play behind Zach. Going into the season, who ever thought Zach would be able to play 32 minutes a game? Even those expert commentators scratch their heads. So mental-yes. Will I play 10 minutes or 2 minutes? I better do something quick and good to play more. Physical -yes. Needs some time with the conditioning guys. I like the old phrase/question. What is the good thing about freshmen? They become sophomores. There is some upside I see though. He did save us in one game.

Many people refer to him as a freshman hitting the freshman wall and making freshman mistakes. To be factual he’s a sophomore. Yes , he redshirted blast year. But he still practiced, watched game film, and the coaching staff had time to both develop his game and also refine his skills and design plays for him.

This is his second year as part of our team, yet at times it seems like he is playing as if it’s his first and he learned very little from red shirting last year. Almost as if he didn’t take practice as seriously as he should have.

I also can’t believe he’s playing the 5. My hopes when he signed was that he’d be able to use his perimeter game and become our starter at the 3. Obviously he either doesn’t have the speed or the defensive ability to play the 3. We don’t need a 5 to be an outside shooter.

I’d hate after wasting one year as a red shirt he is now wasting a second year playing out of position
Because playing in a B10 game is the same as practice.

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
I do have to say it is not a golden egg to play behind Zach. Going into the season, who ever thought Zach would be able to play 32 minutes a game? Even those expert commentators scratch their heads. So mental-yes. Will I play 10 minutes or 2 minutes? I better do something quick and good to play more. Physical -yes. Needs some time with the conditioning guys. I like the old phrase/question. What is the good thing about freshmen? They become sophomores. There is some upside I see though. He did save us in one game.
He just has to be solid for whatever time he gets right now. He is trying to do too much all at once which I guess is a good sign in a way to see he isn’t satisfied with just being solid for a few minutes at a time. The problem is this team really just needs him to guard the 5 and get rebounds right now. I’m sure Paint will find a nice compromise for this situation that gets us solid minutes while helping Trey to get his. I’ll say this however. I prefer to see TKR with Furst where they can switch back and forth in the paint interchangeably which isn’t possible with Gillis.

The kid will be fine. He's shown enough to know the talent is there. He's learning what he can and can't do against guys quicker than Zack.(practice). Needs to relax into it and let the game come to him.
Quit harping on it and don't blow it into some big deal it's not. Please. :)

In the 1st half of the MSU game TKR was called for a foul where he was standing with his arms straight up. There was no body contact, but when the MSU player finished his shot (and scored), the follow-through caused his arm to contact TKR's hand. BS call. It had to be frustrating.

Contrast that with the last shot by Edey, with the MSU defender climbing all over him and the refs swallowing their whistles.

Reactions: TX4GB and DrEss
Remember how fit Basil Smotherman came back from his freshman year?

TKR has so many great things going for him. Is he still into physics?

TKR will be a stud by the time he graduates. He has a great game. But he’s playing behind the #1 player in the country, other very good 4s and was hurt last year.

Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT