ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Show the Experts

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Time for show these "experts" what Purdue can do this year. I cannot believe there are 2 publications that has us at 6th in the West. I realize that it going to be hard to win our division, but cmon 6th place.

2H AGO FOOTBALL
The preview magazines are out. What do they think of Purdue?

tgg0j5bzehtdosi7kgfe

Ohio State should be formidable once again, even with Ryan Day taking over for Urban Meyer. But Michigan looks like the pick to win the Big Ten this fall.
jfttoftqpa0gzvng0uee
Tom Dienhart • GoldandBlack
@TomDienhart1

After picking up you box of Suzy Q's, bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos and King's Hawaiian rolls at Kroger's, stroll down to the magazine aisle. That's where you will find them: The college football preview magazines glistening under the florescent lights. The presence of the periodicals is a sure sign the college football season isn't far away. And, it's not. Purdue begins practice August 1 and kicks off August 30 at Nevada.

The magazines prime the pump for fans of every school at a time of year when the temperatures are hot and the possibilities seem hotter ... winning records, bowl bids and maybe even a league title. But these mags may cool off the excitement for some Purdue fans. The opinions on the Boilermakers are a mixed bag as Jeff Brohm enters his third season in West Lafayette.

Brohm has done an impressive job in two scant years, taking the program to consecutive bowls and a 13-13 overall record. Few could have envisioned Purdue accomplishing that much given the situation Brohm walked in to in 2017.

Among the four primary preview magazines--Street & Smith's, Athlon, LIndy's and Phil Steele--Street & Smith's has Purdue picked the highest, putting the Boilermakers at No. 2 in the Big Ten West behind Nebraska. The iconic magazine projects Purdue to be in the Pinstripe Bowl.

The lowest prediction for Purdue? Athlon and Lindy's both have the Boilers picked to finish sixth in the Big Ten West ahead of only Illinois.

Nebraska is the darling of the pundits. The Cornhuskers are picked to win the West by Street & Smith's, Phil Steele and Athlon; Iowa is the pick by Lindy's.

The pick to win the Big Ten? Michigan, where Jim Harbaugh is entering his fifth season at his alma mater. The Wolverines haven't won the Big Ten since ... 2004. Amazing, isn't it?

As for individual honors for Purdue players, sophomore wideout Rondale Moore is getting the most mention. No shock in that. Boilermakers earning mention on first-team all-league teams:

Street & Smith's: Rondale Moore, Brycen Hopkins, Markus Bailey

Athlon: Moore, Hopkins, Bailey

Lindy's: Moore, Hopkins, Lorenzo Neal

Phil Steele: Moore, Hopkins, Bailey

Where Purdue is picked in the West Division
Athlon
6th
Lindy's
6th
Street & Smith's
2nd
Phil Steele
T4th

Reactions: cjf04
That averages out to fourth place. We were essentially fourth last year. Are we going to be better this year? I don't know.. more talented probably but also young on the lines. Next season appears to be the leap. You could list teams 1-6 in any order this year and not get an argument from me. Now, put us below Lovie's crew and that is bulletin board.

That averages out to fourth place. We were essentially fourth last year. Are we going to be better this year? I don't know.. more talented probably but also young on the lines. Next season appears to be the leap. You could list teams 1-6 in any order this year and not get an argument from me. Now, put us below Lovie's crew and that is bulletin board.
I agree. 1-6 is a huge dogfight this year. It could go any way.

Overall health of ‘key position players’ is what it may come down to for us
The OL I think will be our biggest question. We have some questions on the defensive line too, but we have experience returning (assuming Neal will be close to 100%) plus Karlaftis. We have the WRs to go deep now, and Sindelar has the arm to get it there, but he has to have time for the plays to develop.

I`ve been a worry wart with regards to the D-Line holding up but if the O-Line can`t give ES enough time to throw we could be looking for one of our more mobile but inexperienced QB`s to take over.... No Blough to go to this year.....

Reactions: Whiskey and Coke

I'm no math major, but 6,6,2 and T4 don't average to 4th.

That being said, there isn't a ton of separation between 1st and 6th.
Wisconsin - new QB but they rely on running the ball and defense so probably not much of a drop
Northwestern - new QB but is he all that?
Nebraska - If Martinez takes a step forward they could be excellent
Iowa - I think they will always be involved as long as Ferentz is there
Minnesota - They've shown us plenty, and Tyler Johnson is a stud.

Who knows. Last year there was strong potential for a 3-way tie as late as early November and then Northwestern ran away with it by winning some crazy close games (thinking specifically of the Nebraska game). We need our OL to step up. If they get Eli time to throw we could score 40 ppg.

I'm no math major, but 6,6,2 and T4 don't average to 4th.

That being said, there isn't a ton of separation between 1st and 6th.
Wisconsin - new QB but they rely on running the ball and defense so probably not much of a drop
Northwestern - new QB but is he all that?
Nebraska - If Martinez takes a step forward they could be excellent
Iowa - I think they will always be involved as long as Ferentz is there
Minnesota - They've shown us plenty, and Tyler Johnson is a stud.

Who knows. Last year there was strong potential for a 3-way tie as late as early November and then Northwestern ran away with it by winning some crazy close games (thinking specifically of the Nebraska game). We need our OL to step up. If they get Eli time to throw we could score 40 ppg.
The way the OP was formatted it looked like there were two pubs predicting 2nd place. So.. 4.5th place?? Regardless, 1-6 is a toss up.

The way the OP was formatted it looked like there were two pubs predicting 2nd place. So.. 4.5th place?? Regardless, 1-6 is a toss up.

It’s real simple ...

Interior OL
Neal recovery
Backs - If Tario gets his expected Knicks what of the freshmen backs
Freshmen DEs/Barnes/will Higgins show game/will a Branson deen emerge?
Freshmen WRs ...

If the interior of the OL is serviceable and not flat out bad, if tario is healthy or doerue or Hewitt are fine if pressed into action by inevitable tario knick up, if Neal is fine .. if Karlaftis, Barnes, Hunter, Higgins, deen etc generate a rush and the freshman WRs hit the ground running .., look out; 9-3 and league title are possible

If the interior OL is having obvious breakdowns in episodes where they don’t look p5 or even I-A, I’d Neal’s knee swells, if fuller is out and we are relying on horvath as the main guy, if Karlaftis has moments but the DEs generate no rush, the frosh WRs have physical tools but are “works in progress”... look the F out, 3-9 is possible...

Likely? Some of that works out, some doesn’t, there’s some unexpected good, bad and ugly.. we lose a heartbreaker to TCU and another one to northwestern and we are playing IU for a bowl AGAIN and win again...

And that’s when the fun starts.. we’ve never, on my Time, come close to losing players of the quality of Hopkins, Neal, Bailey and possibly sindelar and brought in enough talent to very potentially reload...

Reactions: tdtmac12
I promise I'm not trying to flame in this thread, but did you all see ESPN's new FPI poll?

They're predicting a 3-9 season for Purdue...

They also have Minnesota winning the division with a 10-2 record.

I promise I'm not trying to flame in this thread, but did you all see ESPN's new FPI poll?

They're predicting a 3-9 season for Purdue...

They also have Minnesota winning the division with a 10-2 record.
I guess they are rowing the boat

I`ve been a worry wart with regards to the D-Line holding up but if the O-Line can`t give ES enough time to throw we could be looking for one of our more mobile but inexperienced QB`s to take over.... No Blough to go to this year.....

Agree...all about Sindelar IMO

Reactions: Bippus33
It will all work out, this staff makes me comfortable with ‘the uncomfortable’
Until they prove me wrong....

ADVERTISEMENT