ADVERTISEMENT

Time To Fire Sharon Versyp?

Should Bobinski fire Versyp?

• Total voters

Boilertim1984

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2019
The women's basketball program has not lived up to expectations in the Sharon Versyp era. What should Bobinski do moving forward?

I am tired of our team looking like it is coached by amateurs.

I am tired of getting beaten by teams we used to use for practice fodder.

I am tired of not being a factor on the national scene.

I am tired of not getting the best players, ...in the BIG and nationally.

Unfortunately we all have felt this way for years.
Be careful what you wish for. Change is not always for the better. How did it work out when Joe Tiller was no longer the FB Coach? Plus we have 2 top 50 recruits, will they stay if there is a coaching change?

Be careful what you wish for. Change is not always for the better. How did it work out when Joe Tiller was no longer the FB Coach? Plus we have 2 top 50 recruits, will they stay if there is a coaching change?
If she is back we are not. Have watched this long enough.

Look at the history of the last 30 plus years. She has been far worse than any previous coach. The standard of excellence set by almost two decades of Dunn, Fortner, Peck and Curry has ended with a 14 year absence from a Big Ten regular season championship. Mediocrity has become the ceiling for Boilermaker wbb.

Look at the history of the last 30 plus years. She has been far worse than any previous coach. The standard of excellence set by almost two decades of Dunn, Fortner, Peck and Curry has ended with a 14 year absence from a Big Ten regular season championship. Mediocrity has become the ceiling for Boilermaker wbb.

She has still done FAR better than Curry over that time. And she has won 4 Big Ten Championships. Went to 2 Elite 8's as well. Curry hasn't won a tournament game since leaving Purdue. What "excellence" that is!!

She has still done FAR better than Curry over that time. And she has won 4 Big Ten Championships. Went to 2 Elite 8's as well. Curry hasn't won a tournament game since leaving Purdue. What "excellence" that is!!
Who cares what Curry has done since she left Purdue? The point is that Purdue has fallen completely off the national map under Versyp and was one of the top programs in the country before that, dating back to the mid to late 80’s. Do you disagree with that assessment?

From 1987-2006 Purdue finished in the top 3 of the conference 16 times and outside the top 3 3 times (5th, 4th and 6th). Since Versyp was hired, we were in the top 3 5 times (during her first 7 years, riding on the coat tails of the coaches who came before her and the reputation that had been built) and we’ve been outside the top 3 9 times (as low as 13th). Last time we had a top 3 finish was 2013. We’ve had 0 regular season championships compared to 7 in the previous 16 years before she was hired.

We also finished ranked in the AP and/or Coaches poll 16 of the previous 18 seasons. We’ve only finished ranked in 5 of her 14 seasons.

The most tourney success we’ve had since Curry’s recruits all graduated has been the second round of the NCAA’s.

Also, she has not won 4 Big Ten Championships. She’s won 4 Big Ten TOURNAMENT Championships (2 of those with mostly Curry’s recruits). And certainly her teams have outperformed their regular season performances once they’ve gotten to the BTT, she has still underperformed in the BTT compared to her predecessors who won 5 and were in the finals 8 of the 12 years prior to Versyp being hired.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYProf
Who cares what Curry has done since she left Purdue? The point is that Purdue has fallen completely off the national map under Versyp and was one of the top programs in the country before that, dating back to the mid to late 80’s. Do you disagree with that assessment?

From 1987-2006 Purdue finished in the top 3 of the conference 16 times and outside the top 3 3 times (5th, 4th and 6th). Since Versyp was hired, we were in the top 3 5 times (during her first 7 years, riding on the coat tails of the coaches who came before her and the reputation that had been built) and we’ve been outside the top 3 9 times (as low as 13th). Last time we had a top 3 finish was 2013. We’ve had 0 regular season championships compared to 7 in the previous 16 years before she was hired.

We also finished ranked in the AP and/or Coaches poll 16 of the previous 18 seasons. We’ve only finished ranked in 5 of her 14 seasons.

The most tourney success we’ve had since Curry’s recruits all graduated has been the second round of the NCAA’s.

Also, she has not won 4 Big Ten Championships. She’s won 4 Big Ten TOURNAMENT Championships (2 of those with mostly Curry’s recruits). And certainly her teams have outperformed their regular season performances once they’ve gotten to the BTT, she has still underperformed in the BTT compared to her predecessors who won 5 and were in the finals 8 of the 12 years prior to Versyp being hired.

I disagree that we were a top national program when Curry left. We were a top 11-20 program who was about to get hit with probation. That's already a far cry from the national championship program she took over.

I would argue that a BIG TEN regular season CHAMPIONSHIP a BIG TEN tournament CHAMPIONSHIP are both BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

But, if you must differentiate between the two, the Big Ten Tournament is the championship that gets the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament so it's the more important championship to get. And she still won four of those.

And if we're going to discount performance with recruits that were left for you, let's discount everything Curry accomplished for at least two years when she was left Douglas, Cooper, and Komara from the national championship team. Pretty sure we never get back to a Final Four without those players in 2001.

If someone wants to argue that the results over the past 5-6 years have not been good enough, I will not debate that point. But whenever "someone" tries to present a case where they romanticize the Curry era or tell only half truths regarding Versyp, I'm probably going to set the record straight. I'm sorry if the full truth is offensive.

Reactions: DocRon
I disagree that we were a top national program when Curry left. We were a top 11-20 program who was about to get hit with probation. That's already a far cry from the national championship program she took over.

I would argue that a BIG TEN regular season CHAMPIONSHIP a BIG TEN tournament CHAMPIONSHIP are both BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

But, if you must differentiate between the two, the Big Ten Tournament is the championship that gets the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament so it's the more important championship to get. And she still won four of those.

And if we're going to discount performance with recruits that were left for you, let's discount everything Curry accomplished for at least two years when she was left Douglas, Cooper, and Komara from the national championship team. Pretty sure we never get back to a Final Four without those players in 2001.

If someone wants to argue that the results over the past 5-6 years have not been good enough, I will not debate that point. But whenever "someone" tries to present a case where they romanticize the Curry era or tell only half truths regarding Versyp, I'm probably going to set the record straight. I'm sorry if the full truth is offensive.
I don’t really have any bias in favor of or against Curry, but she finished ranked in 6 of her 7 seasons and 4 of those were top 10 with the worst being 13th. In her two seasons, Carolyn Peck finished 21st and then 1st. In fact, if you average out the final rankings in the AP poll, Curry had the best average finish in Purdue history. So I don’t really get the bias against her as if Versyp is somehow a better coach. But regardless of your feelings of Versyp vs Curry, if you look at the overall results of the Versyp era compared to the two decades that preceded her, there’s no doubt that she has dragged the program down significantly. Surely you can admit to that.

Reactions: NYProf
I agree that Sharon should likely be replaced - the past few seasons have made that pretty clear, especially with 20 and 30 point losses and a poor recent record against iu. That being said, while Curry did have a better record her utter failure to take responsibility for the academic misconduct under her watch makes her a failure and a poor coach for Purdue in my opinion. Those actions set the program back some and are something that should never happen here, regardless of whether she's got a great winning percentage, conference and/or even national on court success.

I agree that Sharon should likely be replaced - the past few seasons have made that pretty clear, especially with 20 and 30 point losses and a poor recent record against iu. That being said, while Curry did have a better record her utter failure to take responsibility for the academic misconduct under her watch makes her a failure and a poor coach for Purdue in my opinion. Those actions set the program back some and are something that should never happen here, regardless of whether she's got a great winning percentage, conference and/or even national on court success.
Certainly that should be held against Curry. However, I don’t think the terrible fall-off seven years into Versyp’s tenure was in any way due to any issues during the Curry tenure. You could also look at the turnover in coaches in all the years before Versyp and say that the program didn’t have the stability a top program should have... but again, the winning and success continued. So it’s hard to argue that the instability at the Head Coach position was a big negative for the state of the program. The current problems in the WBB program are all on Versyp and it is time to bring in someone who can get us back to where we were. For those worried we’ll lose two top 50 recruits if we fire Versyp, getting top recruits wasn’t an issue before Versyp was hired and I don’t think it will be under a new head coach either. A change in leadership is needed in a big way right now.

Certainly that should be held against Curry. However, I don’t think the terrible fall-off seven years into Versyp’s tenure was in any way due to any issues during the Curry tenure. You could also look at the turnover in coaches in all the years before Versyp and say that the program didn’t have the stability a top program should have... but again, the winning and success continued. So it’s hard to argue that the instability at the Head Coach position was a big negative for the state of the program. The current problems in the WBB program are all on Versyp and it is time to bring in someone who can get us back to where we were. For those worried we’ll lose two top 50 recruits if we fire Versyp, getting top recruits wasn’t an issue before Versyp was hired and I don’t think it will be under a new head coach either. A change in leadership is needed in a big way right now.

Whatever condition the program was left in, we're far past the point at which it matters in regards to Versyp. I will always debate the condition in which Curry left the program with those trying to romanticize it but it is never an excuse for what Versyp has done with it since.

The chances that those two recruits will be as good next year as Oden and Harris were this year is very slim at best. This has been an argument every year---that we would lose recruits. Staying with SV and the recruits we didn't want to lose hasn't worked for years.

Reactions: NYProf and Bigohh

Never said that Curry's crap contributed to where the program is at this time. Just pointing out that(again, my opinion) she turned out to be a P.O.S. and, whatever the record, is not the type of person who should be the Purdue coach. Re-read the first 8 words of my prior post - I agree that the current coach should be replaced, and have suggested possible candidates in other posts.

I am tired of our team looking like it is coached by amateurs.

I am tired of getting beaten by teams we used to use for practice fodder.

I am tired of not being a factor on the national scene.

I am tired of not getting the best players, ...in the BIG and nationally.
While on the same page with all of those...it is even more simple to me in that I am just tired of the fact that IU is not only better, but, much better than Purdue...and that happened on her watch.

I agree with everyone who wants a new coach. I just don't believe it will happen now.

ADVERTISEMENT