ADVERTISEMENT

Three point shooting-Big Ten

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
The last four games Purdue has shot 24%, 26%, 12% and 28%. That's 22.5% over those four games. Is this a trend yet? Can Purdue finish even near the top of the BIG if this is their true skill level? Loyer especially continues to struggle, 1-5 today. Smith needs to shoot it more.

The last four games Purdue has shot 24%, 26%, 12% and 28%. That's 22.5% over those four games. Is this a trend yet? Can Purdue finish even near the top of the BIG if this is their true skill level? Loyer especially continues to struggle, 1-5 today. Smith needs to shoot it more.
Our starters went 1 for 9 from 3 today. We will find out against Rutgers. They will force us to shoot.

They continue to get good looks generally, although today some were forced. We'll find out in a hurry. Today, Loyer, Morton, and Jenkins were 2-12, combined.

I think they will eventually start hitting, but that may be black and gold vision....it's now partly a mental hurdle for sure. They are certainly due for a break-out game.....in the new year.

To answer the OP's question: No, we can't finish near the top (top 3) shooting like this. 3 pt shooting will determine how we finish in the conference race and how we do in March. We have established we can play pretty good defense and we can score easy 2's. What is missing is 3pt shooting. It will be the difference when the games get tougher. Starting monday.

It's definitely a surprising trend to keep an eye on. Last night I thought they forced 7-10 of them which really tanked the percentage (Morton, Waddell, Jenkins).

I'm not worried about Loyer. Jenkins has made way too many 3s in his career to worry about him too.

The 4s Furst, Gillis, Kaufman are going to need to hit them to keep the defense honest.

Morton only needs to shoot if they are daring him to like last year. He's in too much of a funk to throw it up on every kick out he gets with hand in his face.

Smith simply needs to get more shots.

The way we rebound I think shooting in the mid to high 30s will be ok. But YES, this is a concern, & was the main reason I thought we would go 1-2 in the next 3 games. In my opinion it will be remarkablely surprising if we can win against top 30 teams shooting the way we have lately. (But this team has surprised me all year).

Hope they figure it out soon. Without at least mid to high 30s, they can forget most of their season goals.... as good teams will find us easy to defend imo.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
They continue to get good looks generally, although today some were forced. We'll find out in a hurry. Today, Loyer, Morton, and Jenkins were 2-12, combined.

I think they will eventually start hitting, but that may be black and gold vision....it's now partly a mental hurdle for sure. They are certainly due for a break-out game.....in the new year.

Those 3 are the keys. All 3 CAN shoot better than they have. It is unexplainablely woeful how bad they have been lately??? Needs to improve or there will be problem losses real soon

We're 13 games in and our 3 point % is 30.5% which puts us in the 319th among 363 D1 teams. We've only shot over 35% 6 times all year. Thank god three of those games were against W. Virginia, Duke and Gonzaga. We barely beat Marquette at home shooting 33%.

I think we'll shoot better but if we don't we'll lose quite a few B1G games. One or two sub 30% night in the tournament will end the season.

Morton is really hurting us from 3. Opponents love when he shoots the ball. That air ball he had today was just awful.
Hey now! Watch out for the naysayers or the people thinking he has the ability to hit that shot.

I said he was on this team to play defense and get the offense organized and reminded me of the way CMP unitized a former player. Then had a poster who clearly knew nothing of Morton's game gave me a ton of grief. Fast forward and his statements look incorrect.

Reactions: DannyGranger
The other way to look at it is that Purdue is having a very efficient offensive season despite the threes not falling. Nationally, turnover percentage is excellent at 14th, offensive rebound percentage is great at second, and free throw rate is very good at twenty-second. Purdue also has solid percentages on two point shooting and free throws. When the outside shots start falling (and I expect them to as Purdue has good shooters on the roster) this could easily be the top offense in the country. Also encouraging is that Purdue is capable of having a good offensive performance even when having an off night from three.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Agree with Smith needs to shoot it more, especially in B1G play

I like when Smith drives and works the defense to either get a layup for himself, a dunk for a big, or the open look for a shooter in their rhythm. We just need to hope when the 3rd option, it is a legit shooter. 13-0 though, I’ll take it every time.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
The other way to look at it is that Purdue is having a very efficient offensive season despite the threes not falling. Nationally, turnover percentage is excellent at 14th, offensive rebound percentage is great at second, and free throw rate is very good at twenty-second. Purdue also has solid percentages on two point shooting and free throws. When the outside shots start falling (and I expect them to as Purdue has good shooters on the roster) this could easily be the top offense in the country. Also encouraging is that Purdue is capable of having a good offensive performance even when having an off night from three.
Of the 6 games shooting under 30% from 3, the best teams we beat according to KenPom are #77 Nebraska (in OT) and #122 Davidson (won by 8). Minnesota (#199) is the only B1G team rated lower by KenPom than Nebraska.

If we continue to shoot under 30% from 3 on a regular basis, we're going to lose our share of games.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Of the 6 games shooting under 30% from 3, the best teams we beat according to KenPom are #77 Nebraska (in OT) and #122 Davidson (won by 8). Minnesota (#199) is the only B1G team rated lower by KenPom than Nebraska.

If we continue to shoot under 30% from 3 on a regular basis, we're going to lose our share of games.
Offensive rebounding is what takes the sting from missing so many 3’s. I would be curious to see how many missed 3’s were rebounded and then converted to 2’s.

Morton is really hurting us from 3. Opponents love when he shoots the ball. That air ball he had today was just awful.
Morton just isn't a good shooter. He does a lot of things well, so hopefully he can find his stroke or at least be respectable from 3. He simply can't be a black hole on offense and continue to get 25+ minutes.

If not, Newman or Jenkins may start taking his minutes.

We're 13 games in and our 3 point % is 30.5% which puts us in the 319th among 363 D1 teams. We've only shot over 35% 6 times all year. Thank god three of those games were against W. Virginia, Duke and Gonzaga. We barely beat Marquette at home shooting 33%.

I think we'll shoot better but if we don't we'll lose quite a few B1G games. One or two sub 30% night in the tournament will end the season.
Has anyone listed the data of those that played against Purdue as far as their makes...attempts and percent made? I have no idea how Purdue is doing in defending the arc to properly place in perspective Purdue's shooting percent. Is Purdue making other teams shoot as bad as Purdue is shooting?

I think Nebraska is better than people think. By the end of the season they might have a better record than Indiana or Michigan.

Has anyone listed the data of those that played against Purdue as far as their makes...attempts and percent made? I have no idea how Purdue is doing in defending the arc to properly place in perspective Purdue's shooting percent. Is Purdue making other teams shoot as bad as Purdue is shooting?

I saw a stat on BTN, TJ - they are top 25 defensively on 3pt FG defense, IIRC. Still a few break-downs to me, but they are much better on giving up good-look threes than last year. I also think they wear some teams down too.

Reactions: tjreese
I saw a stat on BTN, TJ - they are top 25 defensively on 3pt FG defense, IIRC. Still a few break-downs to me, but they are much better on giving up good-look threes than last year. I also think they wear some teams down too.
I just didn't know a "direct" comparison like how Purdue did and how the opponent did for 13 games. I'm a bit more picky with data than some, mixing samplings from potentially different populations weighing things better or worse than what may really be...but understanding a direct comparison can have an outlier or two as well.

I haven't went to the panic mode as some on the 3pt shooting yet. Sure it can provide some cushion or decrease a point gap fairly quickly. I'm sure the percentage for each player is in the locker room and each person is aware. I also assume some will curb his shooting even if open if his percent is down...not stop maybe, but just not be as ready to let it fly.

Here is a thing. People are not coming off down screens like Sasha last year and shooting the three ball. That is possibly the hardest 3 ball to hit just due to the footwork required. The three ball is coming off transistion or from the lane out for most shots. Many times off the 5 spot , but some off of Braden's action inside the lane. Most the shots have the feet already pointed to the basket and many can just step into the shot. It does seem to me though that at least for Brandon that he has got sped up a bit like last year on a few attempts he probably shouldn't have shot. As time goes on I think we see Braden look to shoot a bit more as well.

Reactions: Boilerupone
I don’t mind Morton starting but his only offense can’t be chucking 3s, he needs to drive to the rim. He is a big body so can with stand contact and get something moving.

Poor handles in traffic. But one would think pull up jumpers from 10-15' should be a better shot for him than the 3s he is missing badly.

Morton just isn't a good shooter. He does a lot of things well, so hopefully he can find his stroke or at least be respectable from 3. He simply can't be a black hole on offense and continue to get 25+ minutes.

If not, Newman or Jenkins may start taking his minutes.
Yeah, painter is going to have to reel him in a bit. He can’t keep hoisting 3’s all season.

Morton just isn't a good shooter.

Well an 85% foul shooter who shot the 3 ball @ 44% last year generally would be considered a great shooter.

But for some reason he just is all mental so far this year and bricking them. It is ridiculous how bad he is shooting given his history.

I saw on here several posts that said this would be Painters best shooting team ever.People comparing Loyer to the Rocket.Thing is we have had a lot of open looks and can't hit them.Hope it turns around soon or the middle of the pack here we come.

Well an 85% foul shooter who shot the 3 ball @ 44% last year generally would be considered a great shooter.

But for some reason he just is all mental so far this year and bricking them. It is ridiculous how bad he is shooting given his history.
True, although last year’s sample sizes were too small to get an accurate assessment of Morton as a shooter, in my opinion.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
True, although last year’s sample sizes were too small to get an accurate assessment of Morton as a shooter, in my opinion.
An oxymoron truth??he shot well, but isn’t a good shooter behind the arc. Thinking his FT% may be fine though.

agree

agree on this. Morton drawling more fouls getting to the rim would be a huge benefit to the team.
I watched the OSU Northwestern game and realize where Morton is going to earn his keep - guarding Sensabaugh. Big body guard who can get buckets at all 3 levels. He is going to prove his worth especially if he can get some drive action to get some cheap fouls to keep him honest

ADVERTISEMENT