ADVERTISEMENT

Thread for Burke's Comments about Football Season

BoilerNGold013

True Freshman
Oct 26, 2014
Been reading all the tweet's from Burke's end of the football season review. Saying really good things about scheduling. Very very vague comments regarding renovations to Ross-Ade. Makes me skeptical about the totality of the plan but he thinks it will help with recruiting. He certainly said the right things imo about realizing roster and recruiting is questionable at best. Also would like to see IU moved to middle of the season so the students can be more involved.

Most of you will probably think he is just blowing smoke and making somewhat appeasing comments. Idk. But if a $3 million hit in ticket sales isn't enough to wake people up not only in the AD office but in the stuffy air of the board of trusties, then nothing will.

The board is the problem in my view. They are just old gigantic NERDS that are out of touch with major sports just like Cordova was.

"But if a $3 million hit in ticket sales isn't enough"

Just wait until next year. November killed off any sense of momentum or realistic optimism a fan could have for next year.

You think athletics should rank where in the BOT priorities? Did you truly choose your college based on their athletic accomplishments?

Originally posted by IndySouthsider:
You think athletics should rank where in the BOT priorities? Did you truly choose your college based on their athletic accomplishments?
If it doesn't, then drop sports and quit acting like we are trying.

Like it or not, athletics, especially football, is the #1 advertiser and vehicle of visibility for a major university.

This post was edited on 12/2 10:55 AM by JHetfield99

So you think the BOT of a D1 Big 5 conference school is too high and mighty to be involved in athletics?! You're clueless.

I would agree that intercollegiate athletics is too important in this day and age, but it is what it is, and if a school isn't going to make the best of it, then be honest about it a get the H_LL out of it. Go D3. Your attitude and that of our BOT is exactly why someone suggested a few months back that Purdue should drop out of the B1G.

Originally posted by JHetfield99:

Like it or not, athletics, esepcialyl football, is the #1 advertiser and vehicle of visibility for a major university.
Yes, it gets your name out there and people will look at you, and then the academics seals the deal. As a life long Boilermaker fan, yes the sports is a big reason why I initially wanted to go to Purdue.

Originally posted by Indy_Rider:

Like it or not, athletics, esepcialyl football, is the #1 advertiser and vehicle of visibility for a major university.
Yes, it gets your name out there and people will look at you, and then the academics seals the deal. As a life long Boilermaker fan, yes the sports is a big reason why I initially wanted to go to Purdue.
It wasn't the girls?

EDIT: Just read Burke's quotes. Sounds like people realize things need to change from top down. Thats fantastic.

It also sounds like Hazell and co. are here to stay, and Burke feels the problem is entirely on the players.

Specifically, I think his comments on the facilities and giving Ross Ade a 'front door' are spot on and long overdue.

His comment regarding if the rebuilding is taking place on schedule of 'it depends on how you look at it' is pretty distrubing imo. Seemed like he was saying the player's attitude and passion are largely responcible for where we are at. I sure hope hes right and that its not the attitude that the staff elicits that is the problem.

There probably is a lot of pr talk there as he largely said the same thing in 2010 about poor recruiting, how things are developing behind the scenes, facilities, etc.

This post was edited on 12/2 11:17 AM by boiler17

This post was edited on 12/2 11:31 AM by boiler17

He would have to admit that he made TWO bad hires at replacing Joe and I don't believe he is ready to do that!

Actually listened to the 14 min video up on front page, and a lot of those comments come across differently out of his mouth.

I think he may be on the verge of actually getting some bigger picture stuff done, and am happy to hear he is looking at all of the different issues we talk about regularly (facilities, attendance, etc.)

Largely, I think hes simply trying to motivate any and everyone he can.

With him talking about our lack of "playmakers" our offense is dependant on them. we rely on a guy being able to take a 3 yard gain and turn it into a 40 yard gain. Which is fine when you have the guys but we saw once injuries hit and you lose your best playmakers the offense goes stagnant. We need a new offensive coordinator, badly

Agreed. $3 mill is a huge deal and it is only going to get worse. This mess is Burke's fault and he needs to begin by apologizing for screwing up football. It is just dumb to quote Kennedy and ask all of us to fix what Burke broke.

I love the video quote about the fans building all of his projects. I guarantee you that the fans would not have voted to spend money on his pet projects. How many flippin fans attend a softball game? Maybe 29? How about a swim meet? Maybe 75? How many folks watch these sports on TV? Maybe a thousand? How many millions watch a nationally broadcast basketball game?

And enough of the "we put a lot of effort into this". That sounds like a high school kid, not an adult who is payed over $500,000 a year to lead what should be a competitive athletic program. If he wants a feel-good program, go to DePauw or Wabash.

Originally posted by BoilerStutz:
Agreed. $3 mill is a huge deal and it is only going to get worse. This mess is Burke's fault and he needs to begin by apologizing for screwing up football. It is just dumb to quote Kennedy and ask all of us to fix what Burke broke.

I love the video quote about the fans building all of his projects. I guarantee you that the fans would not have voted to spend money on his pet projects. How many flippin fans attend a softball game? Maybe 29? How about a swim meet? Maybe 75? How many folks watch these sports on TV? Maybe a thousand? How many millions watch a nationally broadcast basketball game?

And enough of the "we put a lot of effort into this". That sounds like a high school kid, not an adult who is payed over $500,000 a year to lead what should be a competitive athletic program. If he wants a feel-good program, go to DePauw or Wabash.
I do find it annoying that Burke, Hazell and even Daniels talk about accountability so much but when the football program (which is a business) finishes last in the B1G 2 years in a row no one is held accountable. High school coaches making
40-50k a year can get away with that but not guys making 2 million and 500k.

Originally posted by BoilerGrad02:

I do find it annoying that Burke, Hazell and even Daniels talk about accountability so much but when the football program (which is a business) finishes last in the B1G 2 years in a row no one is held accountable. High school coaches making
No, someone was held accountable and that is why Hope isn't here anymore. You have to give the next guy a chance to do the job before you can hold them accountable.

Ah screw it, lets get with the mob attitude here, fire Hazell and then to show everyone we are really serious, we will fire his replacement after a week to really drive home the point.

For a school that turns out a lot graduates where logic and reasoning is a key requirement, many here show an absolute lack of it.

I think its clear that Burke understands what is wrong and what needs to be done.

Is he the man for that job...that's the real question. I tend to think....NO...he's not and that this would be a great time for him to move on and bring in a marketing/corporate type to build this thing up (the AD as a whole) from the bottom.

Now, not that Hazell has done a good job and the AD is runing it for him....but after the Painter thing and chastising the fans, 2 straight losing basketball seasons and 2 straight seasons in the football cellar, its the perfect shitstorm for the fans losing interest and thinking that he doesn't care.

I think a change needs to be made to show fans that we DO care, and are heading in a new direction fundamentally, from the top. From there, the new AD should urge Haz to make some staff changes. We should take the $$$ that we spend on Shoop (who makes on average what a typical SEC OC makes) and invest that in a young guy who has had wild success in the college ranks before. I'd LOVE to have a guy like Lincoln Riley as our OC. Was around in the early Leach days, and has success not only with the kind of offense we'd like to see as fans, but has also beaten good teams with lesser talent and great scheming.

No, someone was held accountable and that is why Hope isn't here anymore. You have to give the next guy a chance to do the job before you can hold them accountable.

Ah screw it, lets get with the mob attitude here, fire Hazell and then to show everyone we are really serious, we will fire his replacement after a week to really drive home the point.

For a school that turns out a lot graduates where logic and reasoning is a key requirement, many here show an absolute lack of it.
Youre right, we have no idea how good Hazell is right now. He could turn out to be great (tic).

My thoughts on Hazell aside, to act like 2 years isnt enough to get a pretty good idea of what the next 2 will be is silly. Last year was a pretty good indicator for this year. Simplistic schemes, struggling to use what you have to its strength, poor effort on the field, good performances against tough teams on the schedule. Theres no way we could have seen that coming.

Just because you dont agree with whoever doesnt mean they dont have logic or reasoning.

Morgan's problem is that Morgan is already retired. He's just biding his time, cashing the checks until he finally is forced to take retirement. I understand completely. I'm at that point now. He did some good things in the past but the fire is no longer burning hot and he's just trying to slide by. New blood no matter whether from the Purdue bloodline or elsewhere will make quick changes. Not gonna happen until MB says goodby.

Southsider, you may not choose a college based upon what their athletic teams do, but many others do not. It is a fact that athletic success in the revenue sports is positively correlated with alumni donations and increasing number of applications for admission by high school students. Both of these variables are factors in the US News rankings which determine selectivity and public perception of the university.

You may not like the US News algorithm but it is what it is and nobody can deny that its rankings have impact. So yes, there is a lot of carryover from how well the FB and BB teams do.

Originally posted by BoilerGrad02:

Where did I say Hazell should be fired? That could be anyone from the AD to assistant coaches.

What's ridiculous is that people making that much money can resort to tired clichés and expect people to accept them.

Burke worked in the private sector and if his subordinates where making that kind of money with these kind of results someone's head would roll. It seems like Burke has been in the public sector too long where suddenly everyone wants to keep on getting paid without having to justify their salary with tangible results.

"....The long-time AD says he shares Hazell's vision for the rebuilding of the program. When asked specifically if he thinks it's on schedule, Burke said yes...... On the field, Burke said the team's struggles came down to an overall lack of "playmakers," for one thing....."
Hazell must be the biggest BS'er in West Lafayette. He actually sold Burke on his "vision"?..and what might that "vision" be? It obviously doesn't include winning football games...and "overall lack of playmakers",has Burke seen Hazells recruiting class last year and this year's class so far?..is that also part of the "vision" he shares?, getting a bunch of 2* MAC players and "coach them up" into B1G players because Haz and his staff are either too lazy or simply don't have the skills to recruit against anyone but MAC or lower teams. That's gonna work out really well. If you think the last 2 seasons were a crapfest, wait until next year.

After listening to the full speech, I walked away with several different impressions. He reminds me of a CEO who just delivered the Annual report to the market without a realistic improvement plan…. He knows the whole Athletic departments is likely to get trimmed and it is on his watch.

Then why doesn't industry breaking down Alabamas door for their graduates. Seems a Purdue degree goes a hell long way for our lousy teams! But j never want Purdue to ever take sports as a top priority. I would rather Purdue try to model Stanford over LSU!

What do you guys think about his thoughts on moving the bucket again, both the date and relocating it to Lucas oil Stadium?

I think moving the bucket game is the kind of non-essential cutesy stuff Burke specializes in. He needs to roll up his sleeves and focus on root causes of the issues. His athletic program is a frickin mess by any measure - wins, finances, etc. His kids go to class and largely stay out of trouble. But with these kinds of tickets sales, he is not going to be able to afford much of anything in the future.

Sorry to interject, but my experience has been exactly the opposite. I have family in Oregon, and their friends are always impressed that I went to Purdue (family went to IU, which their friends thought meant "Iowa or Illinois or something" :D).

Originally posted by gbmhoosier:
What do you guys think about his thoughts on moving the bucket again, both the date and relocating it to Lucas oil Stadium?
I don't like either one. Keep it as is.

I kind of agree with IndySouthsider - Purdue is and should be a university first and foremost. College athletics has gotten way out of hand. It's become a huge business for some schools, and that's the problem (especially for schools like Purdue on the small side of the big time). If I am forced to choose between an SEC-type setup, or Univ. of Chicago, I choose Chicago.

Let's end the charade and spin the athletic departments off as for-profit corporations. No need for Title IX at that point, just men's hoops and football (and, maybe, women's basketball or baseball at some schools). No need for the "student-athlete" charade, either. Just pay the players a minor league salary, and if they choose to go to school with the money, so be it.

GBM - I don't want to play the Bucket game in Indy - it belongs as Home and Away in West Lafayette and Bloomington. As for timing of the game, move it back to the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving and people are thinking of other things to do for the Holidays, etc. When you have 2 bad to mediocre teams playing a football game, nobody cares.

Hopefully the diving, rowing, softball and tennis teams can help make up that lost revenue.

And how dumb does he think we are? Recruiting rankings don't matter?? It's just coincidence that Alabama and Florida state dominate on the field, and also happen to have the highest ranked recruits? And it's a coincidence that Purdue's teams declined in the mid 2000s right after the recruiting rankings began to fall? It's insulting.

Originally posted by New Pal Boiler:
Hopefully the diving, rowing, softball and tennis teams can help make up that lost revenue.

And how dumb does he think we are? Recruiting rankings don't matter?? It's just coincidence that Alabama and Florida state dominate on the field, and also happen to have the highest ranked recruits? And it's a coincidence that Purdue's teams declined in the mid 2000s right after the recruiting rankings began to fall? It's insulting.

Agree, but I took those comments as put downs of the current roster. I do agree that recruiting rankings of an individual player or perhaps even a class can be largely inaccurate. By the time you string together 5 classes ranked in the 50's, its pretty clear to me you've got average talent.

He also talked about how recruiting had to improve, and I took those comments to say we need to sign recruits with better rankings.
I could be wrong

Originally posted by indyogb:
I kind of agree with IndySouthsider - Purdue is and should be a university first and foremost. College athletics has gotten way out of hand. It's become a huge business for some schools, and that's the problem (especially for schools like Purdue on the small side of the big time). If I am forced to choose between an SEC-type setup, or Univ. of Chicago, I choose Chicago.

Let's end the charade and spin the athletic departments off as for-profit corporations. No need for Title IX at that point, just men's hoops and football (and, maybe, women's basketball or baseball at some schools). No need for the "student-athlete" charade, either. Just pay the players a minor league salary, and if they choose to go to school with the money, so be it.
No reason that these things need to compete with each other. I have no problem giving from athletics to the university or vice versa, but it needs to be done more selectively and balance out over a long period of time. Just giving to the university every year limits football revenue and in the end everyone has less

Originally posted by 04DarkShadowGT:

Originally posted by gbmhoosier:
I don't like either one. Keep it as is.
Im pretty sure moving the week of the bucket game was intended for the future, and talk of moving it to Indy was because IU had back to back home games and just about last Saturday.

Im inclined to keep the tradition of the bucket game being the last game, but if I have to choose would rather do whatever can be done to increase student attendance.

I think your right Uncle, its like Obama care you gotta pass it try it out and work it to see how it will actually run, so that is what Burke is telling us. Because Hazell told him the same thing.

South End Zone Renovations

I did not read all the messages on this thread, but if I were in Burke's shoes I would not commit any funds to a south end zone renovation until at least our team improves drastically and we see some increased interest in regards to increased ticket sales!

Sorry, but nothing they do regarding the South End Zone will get me to attend another game until this team becomes competitive and we see more improvement in wins. Until attendance improves I would not build anything. Sorry, but I am not convinced that somehow if we build something that it will help with recruiting or attendance! If this is the thinking then they "Burke and company" are delusional IMHO.

Just my opinion.....

Re: South End Zone Renovations

Originally posted by BarringtonBoiler:

Sorry, but nothing they do regarding the South End Zone will get me to attend another game until this team becomes competitive and we see more improvement in wins.

Just my opinion.....
Thanks for explaining why this program is dead in the water and unlikely to recover in any meaningful way.

Too many fair-weather "fans" won't attend another game until the team starts winning -- but can't recruit with an empty stadium -- and can't win without good recruits -- hence, game over, we're done -- this football program has now fallen to the same depths as IU's.

And for good measure, let's not do a thing to improve the atmosphere of R-A stadium, just to make sure we finish dead last behind IU every year.

Re: South End Zone Renovations

Can we please knock it off with the "fair weather fans" accusations. This football program has been dismal too long to accuse the fans of not caring. We've got a right to expect that home games are going to be won, or at worst, damned close if we lose. There needs to be a complete overhaul in the leadership of the university. We should be striving for excellence in every endeavor that we participate in. Instead we are focused on value and affordability.

Originally posted by AZboiler:
Purdue's reputation slips the further away from the midwest that you travel.
NoVa and DC companies love Boilermakers and the alumni club is quite large in DC. Not to mention I remember friends of mine getting offers from Microsoft before they even graduated...so it must not be that bad.

ADVERTISEMENT